Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neurosis posted:

I am quite sure McCrae intended for her to be interpreted in the manner I have described, but he perhaps could have made it clearer through some more time spent with characters who could call her out and provide a counterpoint to her attitude towards the authorities that be. Also, it would be nice if Taylor wasn't so humourless, makes for kind of a drag to read her inner thoughts sometimes.
I gave her a pass because I sympathize with school administration turning a blind eye to bullying for years because it's harder to fix than to leave alone. Her distrust of authority felt really close to what I went through at a similar time in my life, and sublimating that into a harsh mindset towards others is really easy. Also, when you're betrayed by and subsequently bullied by your best friend without warning (also happened to me), it's pretty hard to have a sense of humor. Every day becomes much, much harder. Entertaining suicidal thoughts becomes a way to pass the time and get through the day.

Neurosis posted:

I'm actually hoping after Twig he spends some time editing Worm, it's a great ride but it needs some editing here and there and possibly some major changes . Some more time with the Wards would be cool (maybe prune some of the warlord stuff for that). Also, cut out Contessa altogether or rework her power majorly.
He has been doing so concurrently with Twig, and the timeskip is often discussed as a target for editing, rewriting, or new content.

Btw, following r/parahumans plus spacebattles usually keeps one abreast of most of these things.

Also, yeah. Contessa is a narrative crutch. But it should be noted that one of its drawbacks is mental immaturity / lack of development, because any physical or mental need is fulfilled automatically. Hence, her actual agency is low, which is why she defected to Teacher.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Pierson posted:

This also stuck out for me more than anything:

It feels like just a little bit of a 'gently caress you' that we were meant know 'brain surgery with a bullet' isn't possible in a world where multiple characters have perfect knowledge of the future(s), people can create semi-sentient constructs magnitudes more powerful than themselves, travel between parallel universes is taken for granted and the laws of physics are regularly broken. It has been a long time since I read it but isn't Contessa's power also literally "I know which exact actions to take to achieve my desired end"?

I think it's possible for Contessa's version of the Path to Victory shard to autopilot her body to perform the precise actions to fulfill victory conditions, either through canon (story) or word of god (Wildbow's posts outside of the story itself). I don't have a reference, but there are some good resource threads (Ack's being a notable one) that do a good job of summarizing info like that on SpaceBattles.

If you follow the subreddit you might notice Wildbow enjoys trolling with ambiguous answers from time to time, especially yes or no questions. I think in the end the consensus around that was that it wasn't canon or definitive WoG.

That said, an interlude explaining Parian's power is apparently finally in the works, in between Twig, Worm editing work, etc., and that isn't a troll.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
(Non-Wildbow-related content)

I just binged on a web serial called Mother of Learning over the last two days. Without spoiling too much, it involves time travel (of sorts), and takes place in what I might call a "rational magical" setting. Highly recommended – it's an easy and enjoyable read. Ongoing.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Cryophage posted:

If the coma thing is true, then it makes sense that TT and Co. would be doing everything in their power to keep her body safe and her survival secret. Disregarding the awful things some very unhinged people might want to do to her in revenge; imagine what could happen if someone like Bonesaw, Valkyrie, or possibly Teacher got their hands on her.

Honesty, I wasn't the biggest fan of the "LOL JK, turns out you can separate the shard from the rest of the brain, all you need is bullets! Now go live your life free of major consequence!" ending so I'll take what I can get, but I really feel the story would be best served just lopping off the last two epilogues altogether.

But it didn't come out of nowhere, as the possibility is hinted at quite some time beforehand:

Snare 13.09 posted:

She ran her fingers over my exposed scalp, massaging it, as if she were feeling the shape of my head. “The size, shape and location of the Corona and the Gemma changes from parahuman to parahuman, but it tends to sit between the frontal and the parietal lobe. Beneath the ‘crown’ of the head, if you will. They can’t really lobotomize the Corona in criminals. Some of that’s because the location and shape of the Corona depends on the powers and how they work, and trial and error doesn’t work with the scary bad guys who can melt flesh or breathe lasers.”

She tilted my head back and felt around the edges of my mask, trying to find the part where she could pull it off. “I’m really good at figuring out where the Corona and the Gemma are. I can even guess most of the time, if I know what powers the person has. And I can pry it wide open, make it so the powers can’t be turned off, or I can temporarily disable it, or modify it. The powder I blew into your face? It has the same prions I put in the darts I shot your friends with. Cripples the Gemma, but it leaves your powers intact. Can’t experiment with your abilities if I’ve fried your whole Corona Pollentia, right? Right.”
Two shots - one each for the Corona and Gemma, no trial and error needed, because of Contessa's Path to Victory. That said, Taylor is an exception in that she was so in tune with her passenger (again, somewhat implied at this point) to the point that the Queen Administrator shard thought it was Taylor when it got jailbroken. Disabling for a time might be all that was needed to have gotten close enough to suppress QA more permanently.

Also Contessa *is* working with Teacher, and in 30.7 Teacher conveys to Queen Administrator acting as Taylor that using his power would allow for speech, so Contessa talking to Taylor afterwards might be because of that. Also, Dinah and Lisa don't necessarily know she's survived, because 1) Assuming they didn't witness her after her bullet surgery, if they even saw that, who would have told them? and 2) She ends up sequestered in a different, closed-off reality, something Teacher was able to do earlier, too. She isn't necessarily free of consequence especially if Teacher is involved and if Abaddon (entity #3 which caused Eden's death by trading the PtV shard and distracting her) is still out there.

Piell posted:

Yeah it's not like she saved all humans in existence or anything
By forcibly throwing wave after wave of parahumans to their deaths against the power-god just to bully it, and by doing so eliminating a significant chunk of the total number of parahumans in existence, after billions in human casualties. She then misinterpreted celebration for conflict, then slashed Teacher with her knife, then took control of and threatened Imp with her knife once she un-stealthed herself...

Pretty sure an autistic Master with total control and perfect tactics on account of near-infinite multitasking is worthy of a kill order, despite having gotten to that point by saving the world.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 30, 2015

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Also how is that different from any other war ever?

Because there is exactly one person still standing at the end on whom everyone else can assign the majority of their fear and gratitude, so she gets an insane amount of blame and credit, and the parahumans at this point in time surround her, have power, and may be willing to use it. She was dangerous enough to eliminate Scion, and she is no longer in her right mind.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Fellwenner posted:

To echo NecroMonster, it doesn't make any sense to put her in a coma. What's the point? Kill her or save her. Her story has ended and shouldn't be held in limbo.

About the re-write, I hope it is significant. A lot of changes should be made. The timeskip, Tattletales deus ex machina power (I know powers are physics defying, but this one affects the story rather than the story universe). And leaving aside the absurdity of talking about realism, I don't see capes, good or villain, holding off on killing. Yes, there have been killers, S9, Hookwolf, etc., but I'm talking about the good guys and the non-cartoonish villain stereotypes. As Kincaid said, all it takes is a bullet from a distance and it doesn't matter what magic powers you have. I see Government being fully compromised by capes, and Government also fully embracing Cauldron. Really, who gives two shits if someone got their powers 'naturally' or not?

I mean, most of this is explained in the story itself (timeskip excepted):
1) The timeskip is specifically planned to be addressed
2) Tattletale's power is more plausible than Coil's or Contessa's at least. And note that shards are connected, not isolated. See: Uber; who has access to all tinker tech trees, or Dragon, who despite being classified a a tinker, isn't fundamentally one (more of a tinkertech thinker). It's brokenly powerful but aside from the Queen Administrator it's also one of the higher-tier shards to begin with.
3) The 'not killing' part is explained by the 'cops and robbers' game as well as history. The unwritten rules are there because the ones who did go around killing innocents either got kill orders and did end up wiping themselves out, or were strong enough to survive, and everyone else got the hint.
4) The government was fully compromised by capes, specifically Cauldron, just not by capes actually holding positions. Since high-powered thinkers were applied to watch stock exchanges among other things for manipulation, actual capes on a micro level would probably be flushed out pretty easily.
5) Cauldron wouldn't openly work with the government, because they wanted control above all else, and the secrecy mattered because the Yangban would work their own angle and sabotage their plans (as they did later in the story). Also, the money for vials was inconsequential except to force the buyers to value them; the favors are how Cauldron was able to manipulate cape situations and also being non-governmental let them resort to extralegal methods of ensuring complians. Also, even then, natural triggers dramatically outpaced Cauldron triggers, and weren't as stable, so again, being out in the open wouldn't accelerate vial distribution much and would rather hamper the ability to sweep the outlier cases under the rug.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

Tattletale's main problem is that her power is inconsistent as hell. Sometimes it's thinking quickly to deduce facts from clues, and sometimes it's blatantly just outright clairvoyance. All in all, it sits at whatever level is necessitated by the direction of the narrative, which is lousy writing.

Also explained in-universe: it passively offers insights, but feeding more context and more power into it gives much more info at the expense of thinker headaches, so it's overpowered in proportion to the importance / Lisa's willingness to suffer pain.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
If you're more into sci-fi and haven't already read The Last Angel, I highly recommend it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

I kind of wish Wildbow would stop with all the online 'word of God' posts. Great story but almost everything he 'explains' makes it worse.

Specifically...?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Off the top of my head, Dragon not being a Tinker (because she's actually a Thinker),
The actual text does everything short of outright stating it:

Monarch 16.5 posted:

A thought dawned on me. It was a half-formed thought up until the moment I devoted some attention to it. Then it clicked. Tinkers had a knack, a specialty, be it a particular field of work or something they could do with their designs that nobody else could, and I knew Dragon’s. She could intuit and appropriate the designs of other tinkers.

It put everything in perspective. The machines she was using, half of them drew on ideas I’d seen other tinkers put to work. The drone model had used Kid Win’s antigravity generators and Armsmaster’s ambient taser, the wheel-dragon might have used the same theories as the electromagnetic harness Kid Win had been packing when we attacked the PRT headquarters.

It also served to explain how she could invest the time to make the suits. If her power afforded her the brainpower and raw thinking power to understand and apply the work of other tinkers, then she could put all of her resources towards manufacturing. Armsmaster made the base design, she appropriated it and then turned artificial intelligence or her own power to creating the necessary variations.

quote:

the Endbringers having a galaxy's worth of matter making up their physical forms...
Supported by Tattletale, but not outright stated in the text. Perhaps ridiculous, but he worked it out. I believe that the matter is distributed across universes, which is why Sting works against it where basically nothing else does.

Interlude 8.x (Bonus Interlude) posted:

Exterior skin is hard as aluminum alloy, but flexible, lets him move. 3% deeper in toward core of arms, legs, claws, tail, or .5% in toward core of head, trunk, neck, tissues are hard as steel. 6% in toward core of extremities or 1% toward core of main body/head, tissues strong as tungsten. 9% toward core of extremities, 1.5% toward core of main body, head, tissues strong as boron. 12%-

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Specifically, Dragon does not have access to the canonical tinker technology shard that tinkers get partial access to, but rather a thinker power that, combined with her being a very capable AI, lets her reverse engineer tinker tech. She's PRT rated as a Tinker because PRT ratings indicate appropriate response, not necessarily strict power classifications. The tinker shard typically sabotages the output with some flair to make the design more customized and unstable. Masamune creates factories that are themselves unstable, which can reproduce other tinkers' work more stably, but at lower quality/efficiency. The fact that this is the way it works is hinted at by Leet's tinker power, which in exchange for full access to all the Tinker tech trees, actively sabotages the branches he's already visited.

The Dragonslayers weren't able to reverse-engineer Dragon's post-trigger technology, which led Saint to go to Teacher to get his thinker/tinker abilities in order to be able to understand what Dragon was doing afterwards. His being compromised due to his addiction to getting powers (as a side effect of Teacher's power) was actually an important plot point in the story.

The suits operating while she was out hunting the S9 were not sapient, also explicitly stated, just intelligent agents with limited reasoning capability other than what she could program in (also at this point she Armsmaster was beginning to unchain her, which was a long ongoing process that sacrificed a lot of her normal functionality, hence her mute-ness). This is also a plot point where Taylor tricks the Azazel (I believe) by coming up with a hypothetical situation in which it couldn't be sure it wasn't hurting Imp, and did not have sufficient reasoning capabilities to see through the ruse.

The EMP incident I *think* was Tattletale coming up with a fiction believable enough to threaten Armsmaster and hard to disprove, but I don't remember where I read the argument for that.

Scion doesn't "have no choice but to use PtV", but he's not a very creative entity, because his literal role is Warrior, whereas Eden was the one who did all the hard thinking. Note that one of the things that the entities do when they start the cycle is gather data and observe new uses for the shards so they can fine-tune them for the next cycle. He uses PtV because he needed a quick solution he couldn't think of offhand, not because none of his powers were of use.

IIRC thinkers at some point are actually called out in the text for typically using their powers as too much of a crutch and losing some measure of personal agency because they let their powers do too much of the thinking they should be doing.

Like, every one of your points is addressed somehow or other, mostly from within the text, but your original point of hating Wildbow's expanding on the background is strange, because there's a consistency to it that you just seem really resistant to acknowledging.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Because she wouldn't have tried to contact Lisette (Kevin Norton's friend, and Scion's-human-buddy successor), who might have been able to shift things at the turning point (see the interlude). Also, probably because Saint could presumably aid with controlling Dragon tech without her pesky restrictions.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

1. That's such a stupid reason. Unbelievably stupid. Somehow Dragon not contacting Lisette would change things when actually contacting Lisette did sweet gently caress all.

2. Saint was failing at controlling Dragon's systems and Dragon's restrictions were all broken at that point anyway.

It's what the #parahumans IRC came up with. And Dinah didn't create prophecies, she created predictions. Lisette failed , but ultimately it was Jack having a conversation which motivated Scion to experiment with the total extermination of all humans in the multiverse. Is that not at least equally stupid? Not that I think it is in either case.

Saint yanking Dragon's chain probably helped motivated her to unchain more, quicker. Not to mention, as a power addict, he engineered Teacher's release, who presumably contributed to Scion's downfall, even if he did go rogue immediately after and take Contessa et al. with him.

Also what's the spoiler policy in this thread?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
He's actually been editing seriously for some time, and he has talked to professional editors and when talking to them, they have taken machetes to Worm. With awful, awful suggestions.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

'Professional' is a weird grading given how lovely many professional authors are at writing.

Your implied meaning of "professional" is weird. "Professional" means "able to get paid to do it more than a couple of times".

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
PM'd.

Anyhow, that was one editor that made truly awful edits, but the point stands that Worm doesn't fit easily into a mold, so editing it might be something of a unique challenge. If anyone knows how to source an actually good editor, by all means, please step forward.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/454gb3/worm_news_editor_applications/

Preliminary shopping around for a Worm TV adaptation
Wildbow seeking editors

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah, except those good pro editors haven't materialized (do you really think he wasn't looking?) and the ones that did had some really, really lovely suggestions.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

It might be this one? Apparently it's the banner on topwebfiction.
http://mahasim.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Twig-Banner-557896276

Maha/Mahasim is the artist officially commissioned for Twig banners, so.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Worm's biggest strength is probably the fact that the author obviously had a general idea of where he wanted to go with the story from the very beginning.

:lol:

He's said one of his approaches throughout was to write himself into a corner and struggle to write himself out.

Also several characters lived or died by a dice roll during the Endbringer attack, including Taylor.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

I think Taylor being a boring protagonist actually helped a lot of parts of the story, by being an observational window to everything else going on and all of those actually interesting characters.

If she were exciting, the rest would stand out less and the story as a whole would feel more cluttered, imo.
:agreed:

Milky Moor posted:

Anything post-timeskip in Worm is shaky and the timeskip itself should be excised.
I think he's said that's being addressed as a part of his editing.

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, and Armsmaster's whole 'You can't touch me Tattletale, I have psychic shielding' in the museum sticks out like a sore thumb when, later, Worm states that there are no psychic powers (with the exception of the the Simurgh).

It's small things like that and there's heaps of them.
It's worth noting that the Queen Administrator shard/power /is/ literally psychic.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

Wildbow mentioned that one of the problems of brute powers is that you usually don't know what your limit is until you're dead. I don't remember what happened in-story, but I always imagined him being squashed underfoot. But likely any form of severe instant trauma would do. I don't think he had (strong) regeneration powers (more likely to work over a time period of days), so if you just keep going at it I wager a normal person could kill him if unopposed.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/extermination-8-4/#comment-1291 posted:

Re: Aegis – Many powers have their drawbacks. The drawback of being nearly impossible to put down/kill is that testing & therefore knowing the limits of such a power is rather difficult, because you don’t know that limit until you’ve surpassed it and died.

Milky Moor posted:

I want to say that Clockblocker or some other Wards basically say they they were asked to identify the red smear that was Aegis post-Leviathan.
Correct, he got pasted. Off screen in Chapter 8.4. Referenced in 18.3.

https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/queen-18-3/ posted:

“It was bad. She took Glory Girl with her, you know. When Gallant died, Vista saw the body. When Aegis was mashed to a literal pulp by Leviathan, to the point that he couldn’t function anymore, when he died, despite his power? I got to see the remains to verify for myself. But Victoria Dallon was still alive and they didn’t let us see. A select few adults and family members got to see her, they carted her off to a parahuman asylum and none of the rest of us got to say goodbye, because the end result was that hosed up.”

Milky Moor posted:

I don't buy the story that WB would have killed Skitter during the Leviathan fight, but it's a nice thing to say for Internet cred.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/worm-quotes-and-wog-repository.294448/page-6#post-16386367 posted:

When it came to this arc [Extermination], though, I rolled dice. Barring those who stayed out of the fight, I rolled to see if they lived or died. Just went through the cast as it had formed, to date, and rolled for every participating cape, then worked in their deaths as was possible.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/worm-quotes-and-wog-repository.294448/page-6#post-16386367 posted:

Stopping Leviathan from attacking the shelter. Getting hit. Slowly blacking out while watching Scion and Rachel arrive to fight Leviathan. Rachel's anger, as people approach, crowding her and Taylor. Civilian pulling off Taylor's mask to administer CPR, while Taylor stares up at Mr. Gladly, who is looking down. The person giving CPR gives up after the first chest compression, as shattered ribs crumble, holds Taylor's hand instead. Mr. Gladly says something.

Fade to black.

The sacrifice is remembered, noted, and kept track of, with ripple effects throughout. Even as more heroes arrive to stabilize Brockton Bay, there's an undercurrent of discussion about the hero/villain line. Armsmaster is back in charge, but people are questioning how her situation was handled. Our new protagonist is a Ward (was planning Aegis, but he rolled bad, so new Ward), and the growing discussion amid a ruined city makes for a crisis of faith.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
One early version was a series of five plot lines which intersected at Golden Morning, of which Aegis' storyline was one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/3hkj2w/aegis_power_and_plot_possibilities/cu8b9q6 posted:

In the comment section I talk about how the story evolved. At the very beginning I wrote from the perspective of 'Runechild', my aim to write a 'is it magic or is it something else' story with a novice 'magic' superhero. Runechild fights a serial killer who is visited by an alien spirit that communicates with him directly and gives him superpowers.
After that, however, I wrote 'The Events Leading Up To That Thursday' - TELUTTT for short. 'That Thursday' was essentially Golden Morning. I wrote from alternating perspectives, aiming to build up to a crescendo before the event in question unfolded.
I ended up writing for a while, choosing different perspectives (Guts & Glory, Aegis, Heartbeaker, Regent, Circus, the Travelers), then I'd to a TELUTTT version and try to tie it in together, refining ideas and deciding what to drop.
Yes. Before the vast majority of the characters you know were even conceptualized, Scion was to be the bad guy.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

Someone once speculated that she got a Thinker shard at some point as well, which allowed her to come up with some of the weirder bug stuff.

Uh, speculation? Isn't it established that her first trigger was total insect control; her subsequent second trigger unlocked the multitasking ability to be able to individually command everything in her control?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Namarrgon posted:

Yeah I know it is weak criticism. Hanging out too much on the worm reddit makes me irrationally angry I guess.

Heh. That's nothing. Try hanging out in the IRC channel sometime.

Wittgen posted:

Taylor getting a secondary power to make her creative with her bugs feels pretty dumb to me. It would undermine her personality. Taylor is incredibly goal oriented and resourceful. She does everything she can with what she has to do what she feels she needs to do. No extra powers required for that.
A good chunk of that personality /is/ the QA shard working as intended, and it's not a secondary power, because she didn't connect to another shard, it's more of the same power. Resourcefulness/awareness/coordination is the core function; the bug power and thinker power are manifestations.

Also worth noting that QA is one of the noble shards, that is, one of the valuable shards passed out because Scion was a stupid, depressed fuckup who lost control of some vital powers. She's able to control and intuitively understand others' powers in Golden Morning, not to mention hack Doormaker so she could be in range everywhere, and manages to process even the Clairvoyant's sensory input.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

My general theory is that Glaistig Uaine's shard is Scion's copy of the shard the counterpart would be using to collect things at the end of the cycle.

Common theory, not sure if confirmed (on mobile, can't check logs). Imp's memory erasure shard being responsible for the trigger vision memory erasures is either strongly suspected or canonical.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah; Taylor can more or less automatically win against pretty much anyone who isn't either tough enough to withstand insect bites (and somehow keep them out of their nose/mouth/eyes) or capable of instantly killing all insects that approach them (and I'm pretty sure a minority of heroes/villains have abilities that fit either of those criteria).
Keep in mind though that a ton of capes mask their power or express the lower level power in less threatening ways, because being a sociopath and using your power on innocents quickly earns you anywhere from forced conscription into the Wards or Protectorate to a swift Birdcaging, or even a kill order.

Taylor is depicted as pretty versatile and capable, and her opponents tend to think they can take her before they fall, so it'd be weird narratively to contradict that.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

It makes her bolts capable of penetrating anything regardless of defense/protection, but that's only situationally powerful and dependent upon the enemy being someone she can hit with her arbalest in the first place. It's also not useful against groups of enemies.
It also gives her perfect aiming and perfect timing, like how she faked getting looped by Grey Boy perfectly while not actually being looped, then shot him.

Ytlaya posted:

Were you joking about Parian? Parian's stuff is capable of temporarily tanking strong opponents like Endbringers, but from what we've seen it doesn't seem like they'd be difficult for heroes/villains to contend with. Foil even mentions how she felt she could easily avoid Parian's creations if they attacked, and she doesn't even have the ability to fly or superhuman strength/speed.

Wildbow has stated that with the right application of her power, she could go up against an Endbringer

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I was referred to some good online web fiction lately that isn't Worm, The Last Angel, or Mother of Learning.

A Practical Guide to Evil: https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/

Pretty good read, check it out.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, forgot about Bakuda.

But yeah, the main reason I think the "preoccupied with the end of the world" thing is (or should be, at least) a bigger factor is that "having other good friends" doesn't really make sense as a reason why you couldn't become friends with new people.

I dunno about you but if my coworker was a former criminal who murdered the Pope, even once it was revealed publicly that the Pope was actually incredibly evil, I'd still keep my distance, even if they were kinda likable. Now replace the Pope with Alexandria, and there you go

With Taylor's intensity the only person she appeared to bond strongly with post-defection was Golem, because of their shared goal of eliminating Jack. With the Undersiders she was self-destructing and they were the ones who stepped up to be there for her. Of course she'll trust that they'll have her back more easily and more intensely.

Milky Moor posted:

I think it comes down to:

Protectorate/heroes - people who use their powers for the benefit of the state or other organisations
Rogues - people who have powers but don't really make any use of them (eg: Canary)
Villains - anyone who doesn't register with the Protectorate and uses their powers for their own ends
No. Capes that don't use their powers tend to go crazy. Even Panacea suffered from this to a certain extent. Canary did use her power while singing, she just didn't use it to plant suggestions of self-harm until the accident/incident which got her Birdcaged.

Heroes are pretty much capes who are beholden to an organization that's officially accountable to the government. (Note: Wards are accountable to the Youth Guard, and also I don't think are required to graduate to the Protectorate)
Rogues are unaligned neutral capes
Villains are pretty much right, but it's also worth noting that participation in Endbringer fights buys a lot of slack with the Protectorate, so long as the villains aren't directly killing civilians.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Well, yeah - Worm's fan base is built entirely around Reddit and the Spacebattles forums.
To be fair there's a healthy dislike (though not universal) of those communities in the IRC, which is generally better.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
His last post there was over a year and a half ago. He left.

Also, really?

In a story where the big bad was literally an extradimensional being which consumed every possible version of a planet for fuel, who they killed by punching through dimensions with what was essentially every doomsday weapon combined to annihilate all of that mass...your problem is that the Endbringers' material composition were outlandish?

What?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Weaverdice is run on #weaverdice on irc.parahumans.net. GMs present in a couple of different timezones. Ask for details there to get started.

It's got a trigger generator, involves collaborative power generation which is explicitly and purposefully involuntary (i.e. others debate what your power should be), and a stats system that kinda punishes munchkinning.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Dzhay posted:

What is it about Worm that provokes so much discussion/lovely internet arguments? Even now, years after it ended.
Superheroes and a continuity significantly more approachable than comic books?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Pavlov posted:

The western tradition of web based literature is mostly fanfiction based right?

:psyduck:
what

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I've been reading original fiction online for years (in bursts) and friends who I met after they'd read Worm weren't fanfiction people until after they'd read it. Ditto for a number of my friends who I knew before they read it. I wasn't either, and read close to no fanfiction for nearly two decades despite being neck deep in the environment, and the media, and the fandoms that typically spawn the most fanfiction.

Guess I'm an outlier.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 17, 2016

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Note also that the PRT goes light on containment for all but the worst - villains with some resources are virtually guaranteed to break out of lightly-secured prison.

In the "bad old days" things were a bit more violent, but the unwritten rules came about to rig the game with, essentially, Tattletale's cops-and-robbers game, because villains greatly outnumber heroes and are needed for Endbringer battles. The leniency with which villains are treated is to incentivize them to attend; villains who don't get less leniency; villains who do also get the protection of the Endbringer truce, and they also self-police to an extent to maintain the status quo.

Villains who kill with their powers, especially capes, are not treated as well. Slight exception - Lung gets away with it because he is so hard to catch, and his lieutenants and gang members are doing a lot of the violence (well, and he contributes a lot to Endbringer battles).

Pretty sure most of this is stated in story.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
IMO she loses, but she always needs to control the situation such that she doesn't see it that way, like it's part of a bigger game.

Fighting Lung: saved the Undersiders, gained rep as a villain
Tried to infiltrate the Undersiders: got screwed into villainy by Armsmaster
Fought the S9: Brian got scarred for life
Attacking Mayor Christner - saddled with guilt
Coil arc: Loses her innocence completely
Surrendering to the PRT - loses control / kills even more / is actually kinda villainous as she flips to heroism. Arguably Taylor 'dies' metaphorically, and Skitter is all that's left.

Like, she has an angle in all of those, but she takes her losses and adapts with whatever resources and opportunities she has on hand, because that's what the QA shard does.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

I have this niggling feeling that an epub version was mentioned somewhere, at some point, but I can't find it signposted anywhere on the site, sorry.
Only in the context of Wildbow asking that people please do not do this.

Autonomous Monster posted:

You might be able to auto-generate one yourself; I think there was a script or something that did that for Worm?
If you do this keep it to yourself or whatever you do, do not distribute a digital version of Worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Katreus posted:

I could still be right in the broader strokes! You could too! Given the latest chapter anyway. Foundling having to play off her clumsier than usual instincts as drama was pretty amusing, especially the catch an arrow with her hand. Heh.

FYI, the author confirmed that as of now she is not the Squire.

• Locked thread