Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Worm: I should have called it Parahumans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Grundulum posted:

For those people wanting to read Worm in a continuous form, my friend has found the Chrome app Readability. Took all however-many sections of the story and conjoined them into a single document.

Edit: looks like it's more than just an app for Chrome. http://www.readability.com/apps

The current length is more than 5000 pages of small text when previewed for printing, with an estimated 1.5-2.0 million words. Holy crap.

Sound about right. It was a bitch catching up on this series. Each "installment" is about 5-7k words if I remember right with Wildbow mentioning it was getting longer each update.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dietrich posted:

Out of each frying pan, into a series of slightly larger frying pans, still have no idea where the fire is.

also, still have no idea what the fire is.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Grundulum posted:

Thread title change request:
Worm: You ain't seen poo poo yet. It can always get worse

I keep trying to get my friends to read this, and they keep having other things to do/read. It's eating at me like Malazan did not being able to share the :stare: with people in real life.

(There really needs to be a growing :stare: animation like the one for psyduck. 30x30 pixels just isn't enough.)

I have yet to convince any of my friends to read Malazan. Maybe this is a good free crack sample for them...Hmmmm..

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Faldoncow posted:

We've had some 10+ arcs before but the last 5 or so arcs are all really short. That was a hell of a cliff-hanger to leave us on though, so I'm also gonna flip a table if it's not 29.10 tonight!

Bonus Episode: Scion trapped under rubble just thinking random thoughts.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hnrrrrrggggggg

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Globofglob posted:

Anyone know why the insane MRA is spamming up the comments section of Worm 30.6 and r/parahumans?

Someone lost their meds....

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Worm: Node is doing all the wrong things for batshit crazy reasons.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

NecroMonster posted:

Contessa wouldn't need two bullets to kill Taylor. So why did she use two?

One for Taylor, one for the passenger

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

hollylolly posted:

:( Clockblocker :(

The body count in this story is staggering.

I haven't seen this much death since the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

veekie posted:

How big a book would Worm be if published?

It would probably be multiple books. I dunno, 9 or so?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The more we see of Imp the more I like that character. At first I just dismissed her as a sidekick character but Wildbow has done some great things with Imp.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I'd slow down also. That was an intense loving month.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

DarkCrawler posted:

So, just finished with Worm. Wow.

High point for me probably was the Travelers and Noelle arc. I don't think I've ever read a more tragic story. :(

If you haven't already, you should check out the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fellwenner posted:

Yep, really interesting so far. He got things going pretty quickly.

I enjoyed the story also. I haven't read much steampunk or "biopunk" as Wildbow calls it. Is there a default series that everyone should read as their first read of the genre?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tollymain posted:

It's not steampunk. This isn't a story set in a dystopian industrial age of steam, this is a story set in an alternate timeline where mad science of the wet variety actually worked. The story is about biotechnology and the dystopian society that depends on it.

Basically any good *punk is about X and the dystopian society that depends on it. Steampunk was co-opted by idiots who want to dress up as the ruling class of the setting and I am still angry about that :argh:

If you want to read punk stuff check out William Gibson, he's pretty much a founder of the genre. Most of this stuff is cyberpunk, but The Difference Engine is steampunk.

Also I read a decent book called The Windup Girl a while back, it's biopunk set in a future Thailand.

Ok thanks, I'll check some of those out.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

veekie posted:

Current bet, bind Rose as the familiar.

poo poo. I bet that is right.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I've been enjoying Caelum Lex but their website is slow as poo poo to load which irritates me.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

So if Rose becomes his familiar I'm pretty sure his implement has to become a mirror the question is what kind of abilitys does he gain from that?

Unless he finds something to anchor rose to or some other shenanigans. I've been trying to figure out how Wildbow would pull that off if that was the direction the story went and I'm having trouble.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

This new story by Wildbow needs "something". I'm losing interest fast unfortunately. It was a nice cliffhanger at the end of the post, but meh.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dietrich posted:

What's tangential-feeling is that it's not well explained exactly how having a hypothermia hatchet confers power. (Which is exactly what we're about to find out.) This is mainly a comment on the pacing of the story thus far. I think we're seeing foundation being laid for a great story, but the pacing means that a lot of future-interesting things seem present-boring (to me, anyway).

I agree with this statement. It's a lot of world building right now. It's not that I find the story bad, I'm just getting meh about all the prologue type stuff that is happening.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fellwenner posted:

Latest interlude in Pact is great, lots of tension. Focused on Maggie who has, in all of two chapters, become far more interesting than Blake is.

I agree. This was my favorite chapter so far.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I would just like to say that the eternally making GBS threads ghost was a nice touch.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Rose is a Tattletale lite, much more bearable but a lot less badass.

In fact I think Rose is my least liked character in Pact by far. Hell, Blake is not my favorite either, but Rose is just annoying.

I think my favorite character right now is either Evan or Fell.

Team Fell

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Velius posted:

Given how the pace of this thread has dropped to nothing I'm guessing I'm not the only one losing patience.

Pact has just been "meh" so far to me. I'm hoping that something totally awesome happens when Blake finishes off Conquest and we can get this story loving going again. I've been hugely disappointed with the Conquest arc so far.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Grundulum posted:

Treadmill is a really good way to describe things. Blake is always right on the edge of falling off the treadmill, and seems to have exhausted the list of things he can easily do during this part of the story. The constant tension seems different from the perpetual "you're-boned"ness of Worm, but in a way I'm having trouble putting my finger on. Maybe it is what someone said upthread -- that we haven't gotten any downtime for the characters to be themselves without DOOOOOOOOOOM hanging over their heads.

Edit: Here's hoping the Conquest arc ends with him claiming Toronto as his demesne.

And rose getting the house and small town. Dual storyline action would be neat.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rose Spirit posted:

Whew. I discovered Worm a while ago, but it's only been in the past month that I've had the opportunity to chew through it, and I just finished today.

Gonna start on Pact soon, but I think I need a day or two for my emotions to recover.
Don't rush yourself Pact isn't that great yet. Ride that Worm high.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fellwenner posted:

You're left with a shadow!

Blake "Sandman Slim" Thorburn. I was ready to give this series up but now I need to knowwww.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

These past 2 updates have really been helping my liking of Pact. I hope Blake never comes back.

Maggie and Molly are best frands

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

"Motherfucker!"

hahahahahahahah. That made me laugh out loud.

P.S. New Pact is up

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I think you meant Mags.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pavlov posted:

drat. I'll admit, Pact was kind of a slow burn getting there, but it's really starting to deliver.

I feel like the first 7 arcs of Pact could be summarized into a quick 2 and start the story here. I'm really enjoying the story now where I was at the point of dropping it in the Conquest arc.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Namarrgon posted:

Personally I prefer longer updates with more time in between. Preferably per scene yes.

+1. If I had to try and keep up with reading once a day I wouldn't be interested. 2 or 3 updates a week is pretty good pacing.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Blasphemeral posted:

He probably used the mirrors to get there quicker, and maybe to protect himself from an immediate attack upon appearing out of the blue. He can clearly exist outside of mirrors, as he was doing for the whole chapter so far. But being able to slip into them for the fast travel, like Rose used to be able to do, is really kick-rear end.

I really hope he can step out of them at will.

It's like Sandman Slim and the Room of Thirteen Doors which helps a lot with story progression.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pavlov posted:

See, my guess is it's going to skip over that level entirely. We've got a decent amount of foreshadowing about giant terrifying demon lords, multiple realities, humanity's place in the universe, whatever the hell the lawyers want, and some other big stuff going on. I have a feeling at some point it might just make a big leap up to "fate of the human race" type stakes.

I really hope it doesn't go this way. It's great to know that "scary stuff is out there" but I think the Pact story leads to following the Jacob's Bell / Toronto smaller scale world out to completion and nothing more. If the universe gets to big I feel it will take away from story that has been setup thus far. I always took it that Pact wasn't meant to be an epic like worm but more of a realistic novel size book when completed.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I miss the Lawyers.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Sopranos has tragic overtones too.

I wish The Wire and, to a much lesser degree, Boardwalk Empire were popular enough to , well, count as popular. :smith:

I read would read The Wire fan fiction all day long.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

All authors should dice roll for character life or death in battle This will only make books better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

How many arcs are left do we know? This is getting out of hand.

• Locked thread