Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

NinjaDebugger posted:

The best working theory I've heard is that the PRT/Government think tank working to prevent poo poo like that are the bottom of the barrel thinkers, and all the really good ones are working around them.

If The Big Short has taught me anything, this is true in real life too.

Like he could still take small or medium losses against his big wins too makes the look legit. Though I wonder how much sports betting there could exist in a world where being prescient is fairly common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

A Spherical Sponge posted:

The world's appropriately horrifying and deadly and magical though and there's depth to the background of the world so when it's not references to pop culture and that sort of thing it's not all bad. Like there isn't too much nerd culture creep if that make sense. And the characters are pretty good in a lot of ways for a web serial.

I'm enjoying it too, I just wish the characters didn't have a Horror Movie Character level of recklessness/stupidity.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's a patched iOS. It's probably a shady ad network on the mobile site, which does have ads. So be wary if you're trying to read from a mobile device I guess.

Same thing happens to me in Chrome on Android. I just close the tab and reopen the page from History and hope I don't get it again.

Also when I read Practical Guide sometimes the page freezes up for seconds at a time, refreshing usually takes care of it.

Never had a problem with Twig though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Peanut Butler posted:

idk if there's already a thread for it, and maybe it doesn't belong here, being shorter-form mixed media- but is anyone else reading Jon Bois's 17776?

its good its real good

Here's a link for everyone and yes it's incredible.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I stopped reading at the end of 18 because it just wasn't fun anymore.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cinara posted:

Yea, Wandering Inn is easily my favorite web serial going on right now, and the first to get me to throw some money at the Patreon.

EDIT: Just finished the Doctor update, drat that was good and I hope we get to see more of that character.

Clown one was incredible, when was the Doctor one?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kalas posted:

The Doctor chapters were a few weeks ago, but still protected. May be a patreon only release.

edit: Looked it up, should hit the web site for everyone in a few weeks. Pirateaba has a month delay on the patreon voted side stories.

My vote choice keeps missing.
'A Happy Day Where Nothing Bad Happens and Cute Fluffy Animals (Lies.)'
How could people not be voting for this.

I joined the Patreon and yeah Doctor was pretty good.

And I voted for Wistram days pt 2 because I enjoyed the first one, and because I don't want a nonhappy day where bad things happen.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Okay I powered through A Practical Guide to Evil a couple months ago and now I'm just reading chapters as they update.

Is anyone else having a hard time keeping track of everything? There's like a dozen characters with multiple titles each (eg: Heiress, Akua, Diabolist, maybe her last name too??) and a bunch of regions and races and wars to keep track of, that I'll be halfway through a chapter and have no idea what is happening until they pick of the titles I actually recognise.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

A basic knowledge of gematria and/or Kabbala and/or ceremonial magic is definitely helpful for reading UNSONG but even so, it was a fun read.

I didn't know any of that nonsense and I still enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Just make a new thread you dopes. There's no contract saying you have to keep posting in the same one forever.

• Locked thread