Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Winter is Cuming posted:

Ah, DBZ websites. So many ripped-off pages and so much stolen content claimed as my own. This is all that remains of my first:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041116092014/http://vegetadall.tripod.com/

Made in 2001 I believe.

Anyway, I was weirdly thinking about how the final products of web design are so much more complicated than in the late 90s and early 2000s that it must seem like an insurmountable task to newbies.

I read about this thing on hackernews earlier and the dude running it seems pretty committed to the idea of keeping stuff friendly. I have fond memories of teaching little dudes and dudettes how to make their very first static HTML sites a while back, and I remember even then thinking that the part that really sucked was that all these kids were going to have to figure out how to get and upload files to hosting so it is cool that this exists now and I hope it keeps going/takes off.

Additionally, I'm so glad I now have control over this very obviously :nws: domain -- http://titties.neocities.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kedo posted:

It's not like there's a ton of money in game streaming anyways (as far as I know).

You may be surprised by how much is available. Not saying it is a billion dollar a year enterprise or anything, but there are a fair number of people making a living by having people watch them play videogames.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mr. Wynand posted:

This used to be the case for the longest time, but since we now live in the future, font embedding is actually supported quite well.

Embedding works but it often ends up looking pretty poor. Loads of jagged edges and other poo poo, and you usually have to implement some really stupid hacks to 'fix' them up.

e; Or just sit around being like 'oh well, guess my fonts are going to look like the dude who cut the blocks had the shakes.'

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

peak debt posted:

Let's say I have a base image (A)

And another image with some transparency (B)

If I layer these on top of each other I get this (C = A + B)

But now, I wonder. If I have the image C and A, is it somehow possible to use a filter in Photoshop to get B? There's obviously more than one solution and I'd be happy with any B that satisfies the requirements but I can't think of an obvious way to get that in Photoshop.

If base image A is a solid color you could select by color and then delete those pixels I guess but if they are merged into one layer I'm not really sure there is another shortcut, and this one has some obvious flaws.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Oh My Science posted:

If you want to try them out plan to use one a month until you say "gently caress yeah I dig this learning style".

I'll be throwing a big update into the OP this weekend, if I wanted to explore the possibility of an SA web dev IRC channel would people use it?

I'd use the poo poo out of it.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I think this is the single most hacky thing I've ever personally done with a z-index. http://www.lootgrind.com/imagetest/ Peep that code if you're lookin' to cringe.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Knyteguy posted:

What machines are you guys using for your web dev machines? At work I use an HP EliteBook 8540w, and at home I just use my gaming PC. The more I get into the newer web technologies like NodeJS, Ruby (I know Ruby isn't really new), etc I'm finding myself wanting a Mac. I'm also very interested in becoming involved in Apple App Store development.

I often run into problems trying to compile modules with NPM. Too many modules/addons are just are just straight up Windows incompatible or a huge pain in the rear end to get working (see http://rvm.io/ ). For those of you that that have switched to Macs for your development environment, are you able to completely move off of your PC with something like boot camp? I hate focusing on the dev environment when I could be working on the actual project at hand, but I'm not sure if I'm just being lazy or what.

Alternatively, has anyone successfully dual booted something like Ubuntu and developed exclusively on that (sans visual studio stuff) while using Windows for everything else? I think I tried this about 1.5 years ago and found it to be a pain in the rear end, but if a distro that would work well for this has been updated or released please let me know.

You could always get a second monitor and just throw an Ubuntu VM on one of them. I use all 3 in my daily life and I really prefer my Mac for doing dev work, though Ubuntu is a close second and could probably be #1 if I spent more time on those machines and tweaked them just the way I like them as I have done to my Mac.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Oh My Science posted:

I know at least a few people in the thread were impressed with Macaw so I thought I would mention the Kickstarter campaign.

I was under the impression is was almost complete last time it came up but I guess they want to hire more devs.

Moving pretty fast too, they were at ~25,000 about 2 hours ago. Program looks cool, I hope they get everything working properly and make something really worth using.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

fuf posted:

Any chance you could expand on this a bit (or post a link)? What kind of stuff goes in there?

Check the post directly above yours!

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kedo posted:

Anyone aware of any articles or usage statistics for back links? I don't mean backlinks in the SEO sense, but literal "<< Back" type links. I find them to be unnecessary since they duplicate basic browser functionality, but I have a client who might need numbers to be convinced.

If you're dealing with / passing context then a 'back' link can sometimes make sense I guess (assuming it is doing something to work with/around that), though it probably doesn't in this case. I doubt you'll be able to find real hard numbers on it though.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

an skeleton posted:

Can we ask angularJS questions here? I had an issue where I have a ng-dialog modal box opening and its set button is disabled based on if there are any invalid ng-patterns in the modal. The issue is there are fields that show/hide based on what you select before you open the modal. So these fields might be hidden and ng-disabled, but they are still registering as being ng-invalid so they invalidate the whole form, disabling the "set" button. Hope this makes sense-- I'm a bit amateur so I appreciate any help I get.

I'm sure you could ask this here but this thread exists too and may be more helpful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571035

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

down with slavery posted:

Eh, I disagree. You should use CSS to make the website look appropriate on devices based on viewport width. There's really no reason to allow zooming and in many ways a user needing to zoom is a sign that you've hosed up your mobile site. That being said, there are some edge case accessibility issues where allowing zooming might be ideal.

But if you're not using media queries and actively making sure you're dealing with things like text size appropriately then yeah, don't remove the ability for users to scale the site.

I mean, some people have poor eyesight or maybe fat fingers and will need to zoom in to read poo poo/make buttons bigger. What harm do you see in allowing a zoom? Taking away a default and expected feature that has real and, honestly, fairly obvious use-cases seems pretty stupid at face value.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Brb y'all letting my grandmother know that she can't zoom on a website because disabling core features of her phone provides a more native experience and that all she has to do is override some settings in her user-agent stylesheet.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

down with slavery posted:

If your grandmother can't read 16pt text, chances are she's using her phone's accessibility features, which propagate to the browser.

Of course, the accessibility features, such as the ubiquitous and hyper-intuitive pinch-to-zoom which you have disabled in the name of a better user experience.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

obstipator posted:

User experience is primarily about expectations. When you're using safari on an iDevice, you expect to be able to zoom. When the user can't zoom they get frustrated/confused.

But not if you fool the user into thinking they are in a native app with your ~*expert design sense*~ first.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

fuf posted:

So what's the deal with the .io tld? Did it get popular just because lots of names were still available? Do you think the popularity will last? Is it worth registering [my_startup_name].io?

Input/output - it's just cheeky and caught on.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

revmoo posted:

Any time I've ever needed to do that, I just stuck a JSON blob into a column. Doesn't postgres have query support for JSON objects now anyway?

JSONB too, vroom.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kedo posted:

Google, mostly.

Yep.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

jackpot posted:

Crossposting from the WP thread: I bought a "managed wordpress" hosting plan from godaddy. Looking around, I feel like I made a mistake because I'm having a hell of a time finding a control panel of any kind. I know how to install wordpress (jesus, it's usually just an "install wp" button) - did I buy some kind of training wheels package that assumes I can't even do that part?

Did I make a mistake?

You made a mistake in that you gave GoDaddy money without being under duress, yes.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kedo posted:

Built a simple maintenance request form and page to view the entries in WP for a restaurant client of mine. I was just put the finishing touches when I found this gem:

"Naaaaaaaah."

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Lumpy posted:

I think a house without any nails or screws would look pretty cool too.

They tend to, yeah.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

unlimited shrimp posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone here know of a good/trustworthy SEO service? Brother-in-law is starting a business and asked if I knew anything about it, which I don't, but maybe I can funnel some money towards a goon or goon adjunct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFOQXNT_T14

Pretty much SEO.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I really like Skeleton for tiny side projects that I know will never get gigantic.

http://getskeleton.com/

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
https://www.mailerlite.com/ these guys are pretty good if all you want to do is send some emails.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Yep, Wappalyzer, it's good.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

ufarn posted:

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong when I get a `CssSyntaxError` when linting SCSS with stylelint? It seems like it's trying to parse whatever's inside my // SCSS comments.

Ah, yeah, if you are using SCSS comments you should run all of your CSS through YARP after you compile it down to CSS and then print all of that out, run it through your washing machine, scan it with a GoPro run some OCR on it and push that output directly to live from there.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

ufarn posted:

I do that in the CI already, this is just for the CLI on my laptop.

Oh, my bad, just do the above but in reverse then.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=605840#c22

CSS hyphens coming to Chrome :toot:

I feel like I've been subscribed to this thread (there was one before this current thread) for years.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If I'm looking to host smallish (500mb?) data payloads and serve them as regular in browser downloads to ~a few thousand users a month what's my best option if I want to keep prices low and availability/speeds high? Not really looking to gently caress with torrents or free download sites like megaupload or whatever and I'm not super familiar with the landscape of AWS, Google Cloud, whatever Microsoft's thing is, etc. so hoping someone who is can point me in the right direction.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skandranon posted:

How FAST do you need these downloads to be? Depending on how many concurrent downloads you expect, you can probably get by on just a free AWS/Azure tier system hosting a website with the files on it. Don't even really need to host the website there, just link to the files.

Moderately fast, it really doesn't matter as long as people don't notice that it is incredibly slow. I figured I'd be in free tier for a while, should I just use whatever looks cheapest from AWS S3/Google Cloud/whatever Azure calls their poo poo? Or is there some kind of super special subservice within these that people use for hosting larger static files?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mush Man posted:

After doing a little bit of research, it looks likes the current alternatives to PHP are LYME, the Elixir route; MEAN, the JavaScript route; or Django, the Python route. Are there any good comparisons between these out there? Would free hosting be compatible with them all?

You should do whatever you want, but if you go the elixir route you should really use Phoenix.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iniwPUEbPUM

This talk is good and also the RMS story in the beginning is choice.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Lumpy posted:

I like to imagine that little mouse running around on a keyboard and these posts are the result.

Tei is easily my favorite SA poster these days, absolutely always a joy to read their posts.

Also, OT as hell but you can break up lines all you want in Python.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

bigmandan posted:

Is "serverless" just another fancy marketing term like "cloud". All these 3rd party services run on a server somewhere right?

Nah, they run through increasingly complex rube goldberg machines, any calls for random numbers come from lava lamp entropy. It's all maintained by an army of children in Sri Lanka who are paid in AWS credits by Jeff Bezos himself.