Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Chome video wall update: I started a project.log before I start forgetting and losing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The only limits with file:// and Chrome are inability to use WebWorkers, everything else is fair game.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

rt4 posted:

A few years back, I had a similar problem with IE on a kiosk web site. I was able to fix some image timing problems by making a list of all the images and loading them silently with an XHR on the first page. It's loving stupid, but it forced the images into the browser's cache. Might help your situation, too.

Just wrap the entire site in a frame and have a frameset keep the images in cache.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

toiletbrush posted:

I'm developing a website for a Chinese client - they're expecting us to lead on a lot of the technical side of things, which is fine, but one thing I'm not sure about is passwords. Should passwords on a Chinese site (or any site, for that matter) allow the use of Chinese characters? I've found this article, but not much else.

Numbers are a popular alternative for many language challenges with the Chinese universe.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Are WebComponent JSON attributes preferred or just convenient? idk, two forms of the same thing, styled with CSS Grid:
code:
<quadrant-layout
        topleft='{ "type": "featured-stock", "keys": ["VSR"] }'
        topright='{ "type": "short-form", "keys": ["OA", "CIG.C", "YGE", "WMT", "XINA", "XCO", "USWD", "SVT", "UNH", "XOM"] }'
        bottomleft='{ "type": "long-form", "keys": ["WFE/PA", "WFC/PR", "XTNT", "XRA", "VZ"] }'
        bottomright='{ "type": "long-form", "keys": ["WFC/PN", "WFC/PO", "WFC/PP", "WSO.B", "ZB/PF"] }' ></quadrant-layout>
code:
<div id="container">
        <div id="topleft">
                <featured-stock key="VSR"></featured-stock>
        </div>  
        <div id="topright">
                <short-form key="OA"></short-form><short-form key="CIG.C"></short-form>
                <short-form key="YGE"></short-form><short-form key="WMT"></short-form>
                <short-form key="XINA"></short-form><short-form key="XCO"></short-form>
                <short-form key="USWD"></short-form><short-form key="SVT"></short-form>
                <short-form key="UNH"></short-form><short-form key="XOM"></short-form>
        </div>  
        <div id="bottomleft">
                <long-form key="WFE/PA"></long-form>
                <long-form key="WFC/PR"></long-form>
                <long-form key="XTNT"></long-form>
                <long-form key="XRA"></long-form>
                <long-form key="VZ"></long-form>
        </div>
        <div id="bottomright">
                <long-form key="WFC/PN"></long-form>
                <long-form key="WFC/PO"></long-form>
                <long-form key="WFC/PP"></long-form>
                <long-form key="WSO.B"></long-form>
                <long-form key="ZB/PF"></long-form>
        </div>
</div>

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 15, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You really want DASH and not just vanilla video support, DASH enables automagic hopping between different quality streams.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

darthbob88 posted:

Near-impossibility for the thread; I have a chunk of CSS describing a background for the <body> section of my website, and I want to display different backgrounds on different pages, but I also want to keep everything in one CSS file if possible. What is a good way to do this? @document sounds like a good solution but it's also supported only by Firefox. At present I just have a <style> element saying which background to use in the template for each page, plus a default in the main CSS sheet, but this feels unwholesome and I would prefer a better solution.

Just add a new class to the body tag for each page. Easy.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

kedo posted:

What's the current hotness in terms of CSS and/or canvas animation?

Just use WebAnimations and the polyfill? I've seen a lot of random stuff for Canvas elements.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've always used Apache 2.4 as a reverse proxy for things like Ruby and Java applications (as a place to attach and remove SSL and potentially for load balancing), is there a higher-performance/more stable option nowadays or is Apache still the default choice?

Apache has always been a clunky option, HAProxy, NGINX, and Pound are the common alternatives. Varnish is supposed to do it to but I find it utterly unstable.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Generally you want something stable, and usually Apache is good at that, however Apache is a kitchen sink kind of product and the docs and configuration may be counterproductive in getting what you want done. HAProxy, Pound, and Varnish are primarily reverse proxies and so one would hope more convenient to deploy. NGINX is basically a web server that generally performs better than Apache.

Any of them are going to have a learning curve, I'd recommend a perusal of the docs just to see if any of their features are conducive to worth investigating more.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Presumably using CALDAV? You could just host your own service using something like http://radicale.org/ so at least you know it is not going to change.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Do many people use OpenType features in web fonts? I'm surprised that there are so many features and most are hidden behind generic CSS tags but are actually supported by many browsers. Stuff like tabular numerics:

Or changing how a number 3 appears:

A plethora of options on fonts, even variations of typefaces themselves can be a bit excessive:

For Gotham each one is also licensed separately too, nice. I don't think I can see any difference with "SmartScreen" fonts, maybe it is a give away that typography.com does not have side-by-side comparisons.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Totally appropriate that the CSS 4 spec is broken by CSS today:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That gives an obtuse error,

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Many projects yield the same generic error on authentication due to "security reasons", i.e. being able to use the feedback to improve an attack. It's a wonderfully lame excuse.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's a bit bike shedding. You're almost at the point of converting to image/png then running a web assembly transpiled version of pngcrush before uploading to save a few bytes. Maybe ok in really slow networks but the slower lead time would be more annoying than slow upload time. If you want to reduce size with a lossy protocol then image/webp would be the best option. You also have the option of webassembly version of convert to convert a png to webp in a web worker for unsupported clients.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Anybody used CSS containment? I found a use for it, but seems more of a hack on flexible layouts.

If I take a rather dumb HTML block that uses relative positioning everywhere, when I make an update the entire region repaints:

Using CSS contain I can limit the repaint cost:

However I had to set a width and height on the time, which leads to almost just jumping over to absolute positioning to get the same benefit.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That thing is eight monitors in portrait and is quite taxing on animating the ticker smoothly. As nVidia is awesome we already have to render the board rotated 90° for performance. The major problem I have is quantifying performance to gauge if any change makes things better or worse. So if nVidia requires a rotated video buffer does that mean there is a performance difference on the gigantic WebGL ticker? :shrug:

I'm developing on Intel hardware which is better behaved and consistent , usually working on something worse than production helps highlight bottlenecks but it runs pretty well.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 6, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just proxy through NGINX, then you would at least have proper HTTP/2 support.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Every 2 weeks is a new Chrome version with new features, they are slowing removing some non-standard features though, which is a good thing.

Basic things like CSS Grids, Polymer, async await, ImageBitmap, are all not available everywhere but quite useful to develop with.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

IAmKale posted:

Can you guys point me in the direction of some good resources for learning about animations? I'm generally aware of how animations are implemented, and things like pros/cons of animating via CSS vs JS, but without using some kind of animation library like animate.css I'm an absolute idiot with this stuff. I know I need to get better, though, so I'm looking to dive into this in earnest.

There are multiple flavours,

1) CSS animations.
2) JavaScript DOM animations.
3) JavaScript Canvas animations.
4) JavaScript WebGL animations.
5) WebAnimations, aka CPU controlled GPU accelerated animation.

#1 is static and rather limited, #5 can be very impressive, #4 there are a tonne of libraries to make things easier, e.g. PixiJS.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tei posted:

I am trying to remember what is broken in Chrome and works everywhere else, and failing. My memory is poo poo.

Perhaps is something related to the back button and onload events? like the browser not triggering onload events if the user click the back button.

They're not breaks, more like changes for improved performance or operation in their environment. One was backspace being stopped firing "navigate back" and the other was passive touch events, i.e. no one really cares apart from webdevs that like to whine.

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/01/scrolling-intervention

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mixins are coming to CSS to you soon.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Testing out Polymer 2 and found this image in a bug report, ...

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Someone found before I think a WebGL renderer for HTML. For something crudy like a Kodi box they found a significant for them with Netflix type layouts, performance boost when rendering in a WebWorker or something ugly like that.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Fool posted:

yet another reason to not roll your own ecommerce in tyol 2018

You could palm it off to a web service, I know Thomson Reuters have one. I'm sure Amazon must have built their own one too by now.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yay, Chrome 69 finally has support for 2d OffScreenCanvas

https://blog.chromium.org/2018/08/chrome-69-beta-av1-video-decoder-css.html

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I'm looking to implement a funnel graph like this but I'm not sure where to get started on the maths. I'm thinking SVG something or another but it's a bit of a grey area for me. Any pointers?

100% is going to be the full height of the graph, then the transition from one percentile to another uses a standard bezier curve. You probably want to try in d3.js.

Also see, more boring version.

edit: apparently a basic area chart would work too.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 9, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

These are pretty, for me a new charting library sprinkled with Chinese: https://ecomfe.github.io/echarts-examples/public/index.html

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Scaramouche posted:

I'm not speaking for Tei, but I believe they're referring to Chrome Apps
https://developer.chrome.com/apps/about_apps

Which can actually run kinda quasi-local and I believe have different security models

(note they're being discontinued eventually for everything but ChromeOS)

The security model is incredibly tedious, especially when using a <WebView>. I'm proxying fetch() requests via postMessage() to workaround it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks like poorly implemented server side React? Broken in Chrome and Firefox, cannot tell in Safari.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 28, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dominoes posted:

edit: Would anyone mind taking another look at the Tea site I posted a while back? Implemented many style changes, and removed Bootstrap. About to launch.

That site requires a lot of effort from the user, there should be at least some recommended or weekly specials. I have a feeling the "create my tea" is a bit 90s and the process should be automatic from selecting the flavours, like it would be nice to see a default option immediately.

Also, please resize the images of the teas. Use the <picture> tag if you want to be fancy. I have a feeling you probably only want 5~10 or so levels instead of the super fine granularity current depicted.

I have a feeling the pricing granularity is superfluous to the shipping cost, like everything should be $x.99 or similar.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 4, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

How is politic-land tech work, in general?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just stick it in local storage instead.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is Cisco going to go to EU ISPs and say we have a product perfect for this, it powers the Great Firewall of China?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Isn't that what Postman is for?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Munkeymon posted:

Instead of a new window or page navigation, put up a modal containing an iframe with that URL?

Or open the window first with an interstitial screen and redirect when you have the real target. :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Do you or someone you know work on Google Chromium? Would be really happy to have some official comment on this bug we've had for the last couple of months, even if it's to say that no fix is planned: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=899299

That’s by design for non-managed Chrome stations. Google enterprise wants you to pay $10/unit/month. There are lots of similar abandoned bug tracker entries, unless I’m misreading the notes. Then you can just call up support.

I went through a lot of material when porting digital signage to ChromeOS. It’s just not a sensible financial choice compared to almost any other solution out there. The changes are documented somewhere but it’s utterly non trivial finding them. Basically older accounts and apps had grandfathered permissions for this to work for the last few years, this version is probably the expiration of that plan.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 26, 2019

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

a dingus posted:

I'm not a freelancer or even a good coder but from other experience, good ideas are a dime a dozen. Its the execution that counts and it sounds like this guy is going to make that a pain in the rear end. Especially if he has nothing started and no idea of how he wants to get anything done.

Yup, even if the project was kept secret it would have to eventually launch and thus be public. No NDA or contract is going to prevent anyone copying it and making it better, cheaper, etc.

It's all about the quality of execution and timely updates and support. What are the plans if Alibaba and Tencent launch competing versions at a 1/10 of the price with global coverage and scalability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tableau and TIBCO Spotfire spring to mind, business analytics are a saturated market with next to no real money available. It's rather tedious domain at best.