Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Fuoco posted:

Without having access to the actual devices, what would be the best way to test a website on mobile devices (Android, iPhone iPad etc..)?

I guess using a webkit browser like Chrome or Safari might go in the right direction though there might still be differences. If that isn't enough, Android has an emulator in it's sdk, an iPhone Simulator comes with xCode (though that's OSX only I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm currently rewriting how Awful (for Android) creates the HTML of the parsed forum threads and since it's gonna rely a lot more on CSS this time I'm looking for web-developers to tell me that my HTML/CSS/JS is bad, my choices in layout/styling are bad and how to improve them.

If you want to help please send me a PM. Having access to an Android phone is not really necessary since it's all HTML though I guess it might help.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm currently looking at ways to visualize the forum's polling feature on a mobile phone. My problem is a mix of the polling options usually being quite long and the display being rather small. My best bet is probably writing my own little thing but I thought I'd ask here first if there's a neat little library for it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Merkinman posted:

There is no way to style the options in a select box in Android/iOS, right? I can't find any definitive documentation from Google/Apple
code:
<select>
 <option value="foo">Foo</option>
 <option value="bar" style="color:red">Bar</option>
 <option value="baz" style="font-weight:bold">Baz</option>
</select>
All those look the same on mobile.

On Android options are displayed in an overlay of the system ui, so probably not.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Movac posted:

I run Windows, but I use Ubuntu in a VirtualBox VM for pretty much all my development work. It's less trouble than dual-booting, and developing on Linux can make it easier to deploy to a Linux server. As you're discovering, most of the current open-source tools are developed with Unix in mind.

I tried that recently but it went rather badly with the VirtualBox add-ons barely working or not at all. The UI-lag was pretty bad too thanks to there being no 2D-acceleration. Any suggestions besides "use a faster PC"?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Munkeymon posted:

If you're using 13, try switching to 12 (yeah, sorry) or disabling all of the stupid bullshit they added in 13. To make 13 usable, I went through everything in unity-tweak-tool and disabled any transparency and then in the compizconfig-setting-manager (ccsm) I turned off animations and fading windows. That mostly fixed the VM I updated to 13 without making a copy first :downsgun:

E: this is all to make the UI lag go away/be tolerable.

I had already used the ccsm to turn off animations but only after unity-tweak-tool it's actually usable. Thank you very much.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

cbirdsong posted:

iosSlider has really nice touch support: https://iosscripts.com/iosslider/

Not sure how suited it is for more than a few images, though.

I love how the site itself is a horribly unoptimized mess when viewed on my phone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Is there a good Pull-to-refresh library that I can use at the bottom of the page of my webapp?

None of the (good) native implementations see pulling from the bottom as a use case, so I thought maybe between the thousands of JS libs there would be one I could use.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

butt dickus posted:

I'm working a minor mobile site for some of our techs who are on the road. The icons on my desktop site end up being way too small so I figured I'd just use HTML entities in place of icons. I have a few things that look like this:
HTML code:
<a>
<h1>&#128663;</h1>
<h3>Map</h3>
</a>
It looks fine when I preview it on a desktop browser, Android or Windows phone, but on an iOS device the entities are super tiny! Can I fix this or do I need to do something like make SVGs?
e:
Android

iOS

Looks like safari fucks up the font-size for some reason. Is it px or em based?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

lol, just LOL, if your website isn't just a window filling canvas element that you draw everything in.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Maybe it's windows 10 UI scaling set to 150%. Looking at the screenshot that seems about right .

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If that's it then I don't think so? It basically turns their monitor into some sort of virtual 720p retina screen.

Maybe by using relative units or something ?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The tea pop-ups are slightly broken on mobile FYI. And the sliders are hard to use.
And the background looks weird as well.

General styling seems ok to me.
Maybe add some animations ?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

For what it's worth, yes the newer sliders are better than the old one's

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I saw parts of a presentation about this and it's apparently made by the guy who came up with node?

Also to me it seems to use npm but via http so I'm guessing it's a different can of worms?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Please don't leave the commented out html in your code. Just keep a copy of the original file and copy it from there if you need it. Also look into setting up a version control (realistically git) before starting work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

kedo posted:

Also "now you also put your CSS and your HTML into your JS" proved to be as much of a head scratcher as you'd expect.

"Did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?"