Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Why is angular so tough. Does anyone have any good resources on learning it? The angular docs are very dense and I need something simpler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i use a media query to specifically target print to create a separate print stylesheet.

i display: none a bunch of extra stuff that doesn't need to be printed. base 12px for font size.

flex and grid are meant to be responsive to different screen widths. the printed page is predictable in comparison and you should try setting up rules with % widths and whatnot.

there are also a bunch of css rules specifically for print, make sure to check browser support for these different rules

good link i just found
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/05/print-stylesheets-in-2018/

alternatively, use an html to pdf lib

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
oh ya, ur background images will not print so i hope u made ur poo poo a11y in terms of text color on the background

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
it sounds like you have multiple issues and just try to work on communicating each one individually with specific examples. im guessing it should be the web devs job to identify where the failure is coming from and fix it

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
cloudeflare pages is free with unlimited bandwidth and sites

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its the emmet plugin

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

nexus6 posted:

Ok, thanks all, but what I'm getting is hypothetical situations where you don't have a managed team or devops stuff. See, we use things like:
  • Sass to make writing CSS easier
  • Webpack for compiling and optimizing assets
  • Capistrano for deploying code for a git repository to servers
So I don't see how Docker fits into this, if at all. To be honest, it seems to me like Docker just does what virtual machines already do and is just an alternative.

I'm not saying it isn't useful - you're just not selling it to me.

when you onboard a new dev, how do they run your app(s)?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

nexus6 posted:

What do you mean? Checking code out from a repo?

thats usually a good first step, but usually there is more right? are you just creating static html files or something?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
docker needs an engine to run on mac, which is resource hungry. on linux you dont need the engine

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
You can do a media query selecting for print. Google “print stylesheets” for helpful tips and special css rules that apply for page breaks and stuff

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what does your current css/markup look like?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Looks good. Clean.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if you have a list of items to sell, use a unordered list probably.

if you have a selections of items with two columns that could be labeled "key" and "value" or something like that, use a description list

tables are for tabular data only imo. if you can name the columns and it makes sense that you could add stuff like sorting on columns thats a good use case for a table

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
You mentioned this is a wordpress site, so you'll probably have to set the link (href property on a tag) with php instead of js.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I wouldn't be surprised if Uber or Disney had a WP team running the finance dept's blog or something

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Are you using a js framework?

I think the term you want to search is input masking.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Pouring one out for all the designers out there today. RIP Figma

maybe itll stay good? baha

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Image map of a drone shot

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just use css grid

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
its real bad op

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

prom candy posted:

Ryan Florence deactivated his twitter recently but one of the other guys started some poo poo last week saying basically SvelteKit stole a feature from Remix. A feature that I think Qwik had like 8 years ago. Ryan was constantly picking fights with other framework people and generally acting lovely.

mad the framework they put tons of marketing dollars into isnt as popular with the cool kids

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
inheritance sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I use fly.io but they keep having screw ups as of late i feel like