Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Any suggestions for aquarium soil? I've used aquasoil in the past, but am open to trying something new.

This is for a grow out tank for CPDs, I was thinking of growing out water sprite or something else leafy for hiding places. I wasn't planning on co2 though, so maybe another plant is more appropriate. I'd like something low maintenance.

I'm interested in light recommendations too.

Just do aand and use root tabs into the sand under the plants. They'll grow just as well without the high nutrient leech aquasoil does. Thus tou can control the maintenance based on how much you effort more root rabs.

Alternatively, I did bare bottom in my quarantine tank with plants in the aquarium coop rock planters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Fluval used to have one as well that was refilled with one use paintball cartridges iirc. I haven't seen that kit in a long time though.

Likewise, aquarium co-op has done a few videos on a store in I think san fran that uses old gatorade bottles that a person refilled using a hooked hardline tube attached to a regular co2 tank.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Serpa just outdid king of diy at diy. He released a video showing how to make a rimless tank using ikea glass shelves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4kHioCSM0

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Definitely call your local place. It is very possible they upped their chlorine dosage for the winter recently and you might be more sensitive to it. For us in the fish hobby, we have to be aware of it as well. When they change, a chloramine/chlorine filter unit will not last as long as previous in a ro/di system for example.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I've pretty much been giving my cpds and exclamation point rasboras just aquarium co-op easy fry. About the only thing that works reliably because of their small mouths.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Instead of acrylic, you can also just cut a greenhouse panel to be a lid. There are double walled versions to keep a flat surface if you want.

The hardish part will be finding clips if this is a rimless tank.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hah, I was about to come link this. As he said, shrimp is probably the best bet for it. Maybe a betta. I'd also probably be crafting a lid for it as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Stumbled across this video of a cool tank the other day. It is an angled tank. I've seen it mentioned before, but not of this tank. What is cool in this one is that they are intentionally running super high flow like a river would have. And then put 100 hillstream loaches in it among other creatures. The loaches enjoyed it so much, the owner says they are on to 2nd generation in babies in the tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32rAROEaEg4

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

St. Blaize posted:

anyone here that builds their own aquariums, where do you get your glass? i just want to build a couple 10 gallon frameless aquariums and cannot find anywhere to get 6mm glass that is not over $125 for just a single aquarium. im in the chicago area if anyone knows anywhere local

Does it have to be 10 gallon? Serpa did some rimless tanks a few months ago and used ikea glass shelves.

https://youtu.be/ir4kHioCSM0

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Fluval makes decent aio tanks iirc. With the flex offered in a 32gal model (if you were to follow that pack's recommendation). Biorb still exists and have freshwater versions. Innovative marine is another brand. Though, they are focused on rimless salt tanks with screen tops.

As for live aquaria, I'd recommend someone else over them. The company has changed hands a few times now and the quality isn't like it was. Aquatic arts would be a decent substitution.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Just be aware that if you want to cull the aggression of dwarf gouramis, finding females will be difficult.