Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Manslaughter posted:

Seed shrimp? Got a million of these little buggers all over the place, is there anything I can do to thin the herd?

Amphipods! Yay! Are they small enough for your fish to eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Ansith posted:

I found a video on my phone of my 50g in it's early stages. I'm not sure if the corys just thought the GBR was one of them or what.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lstYb08tbbk

After adding a mate for the GBR they got very aggressive towards the corys, so I removed them but the corys have never been the same since. They just sit and hide all the time unless I throw some bloodworms in the tank. It's a shame because they were really awesome before I decided to try and make the GBR stop sulking.

:3 this video is so cute! How much different does your 50g tank look now? I really like the plant and driftwood placement.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I added 7 Harlequin Rasboras to my planted 10gallon, and now I'm sort of worried about my decision since I've read a couple people claiming that's too small for this species. They're eating well, growing, and one healed his tail fin that was a bit nipped when I got him. They do fight a lot when the lights go on in the morning, but calm down after I put some food in. All of them are eating and none have any visible injuries.

Are they just reestablishing their pecking order every morning or am I keeping them in a too small tank that makes them angry?

The general rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon. According to liveaquaria.com, harlequin rasboras reach a size of 2". So 2"x7 = 14" of fish --> 14 gallons in general. I haven't worked with harlequin rasboras before so I can't speak to their temperaments.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

Not Your Senorita posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with fish tanks during a bug spray? My apartment complex recently changed management, and I just got a note from them today saying they'll be in to spray the entire building Thursday morning. Unfortunately they haven't informed me what they're spraying for, what they're spraying with, or why (and if it's roaches, I hope I can convince them not to spray here because I already use Maxforce roach gel), so I'm probably going to have to spend all morning on the phone with them and whoever they hired to do pest control tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do aside from seal up the tanks as tightly as possible and hope the fish are ok? I know sprays are highly toxic to fish which is why I don't ever use them, myself, so I'm not exactly sure what the best course of action is.

Can someone answer this? I'd like to know of any suggestions, too. Thanks!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Shrimp are food...not friends.

Get any species of small puffer and toss in like 30 ghost shrimp with a ton of hiding spaces.

My GSP hunting is the absolute best part of my day. If I can find my old phone I have video of him biting a ghost shrimp clean in half, and the front half of that shrimp fleeing to a group of others, who proceed to flee from him.

PLEASE FIND YOUR OLD PHONE!!