Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

w00tmonger posted:

So I've just had a platy die after have 3 and a Cory in my new tank for about a week. All the levels seen to be fine, but is there anything I should be looking into.

Not sure if it's a case of over feeding or just fish acclimating to the tank or what. Being that I only have the 3 fish right now, I'm also wondering if it's too soon to consider adding more fish to the tank. It's a 20 gallon. So I was thinking of going up to 2 Cory's and 5 platys for now.

I also know I'm supposed to switch out about 25% of the water once a week. Should I be holding off a few more days because it's a new tank, or should I do exactly that?

It might just be weak fish depending where you got them from. If the tank is truly brand new I would perhaps wait on anymore fish other than a school of rosy minnows to really kick start the process. You have a really low biomass for your tank so that's most likely not the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

pahuyuth posted:

I woke up to find one of my spotted corydoras in bad shape (dead). I've never seen anything quite like it, and I'm not able to find any fish disease pictures that look like my poor little guy. His eyes were bulged, his belly swollen, and there was what looked like oozing blood (red blobs) around his fins and on his belly. Any ideas what that could be? Even if we can't tell exactly what the disease was, is there a particular broad spectrum medicine I should use just to be safe?

The water conditions look good, no other fish seem stressed, and the only changes to the tank I've made lately was adding a new plant last week, a smallish Amazon Sword and a Marimo moss ball. It's a 55gallon with several other spotted corys, a couple of albino corys, 2 big rear end in a top hat chinese algae eaters, and about 6 neon tetras.

Yikes. But then again I've had a few Cory's keel over for no visible reason at all so at least you got something to work with.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

After trying to find a good home for my iridescent sharks and failing, and having them outgrow my 90 gallon tank, I have decided to just bite the bullet and get a small, molded pond. Is this the right thread for "ponds", which I consider just very large tanks. Any tips or tricks to watch out for, any advice? The largest tank I've had is 150 gal, and I suspect the "pond" I settle for will be significantly larger. These guys deserve a better home, want to make sure I put my best foot forward.

Outside or inside? If outside good luck with raccoons and cranes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My green slime algae is out of control. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the last of my otos dying. Anything in particular a green algae eating champ? The tank only has some snails and a pair of breeding angels in it right now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Amanos reproduce easily? Ghost shrimp seemed kinda more interested in flakes and poop than algae.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Whaler posted:

Are you turning the lights off at night? I found limiting the hours of light helped keep algae in check in my tank. Otos eat algae but they can't single handed ly keep the tank free of it

Yeah I got timers cutting back the lighting pretty good and no natural light hitting the tank. Never heard of Cyanobacteria gonna have tot look that up. The problem is I didn't want to cut back the lighting too much and hurt my swords. Just replaced the bulb too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I feel like my swords grew better with pebbles and under gravel plate than my current fancy soil substrate. The soil was very rough on my cats too. Finally moved them to a new ten gallon with pebbles and their barbels look great again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

demonR6 posted:

It makes the teeth in your avatar seem tame eh?

OP I say the guy who found them needs to make a necklace of them.

On to talk of plecos.. sadly this is an infestation of our Florida rivers.

Well... time to get a frog gig and do some spear fishing. drat thats pretty bad infestation.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think I may have just fed my pair of angels $16 worth of amano shrimp appetizers. Or those little fuckers are amazing hiders.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. Maybe I'll just buy more until it's impossible for them to all hide.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

Most CB Senegals will top out around 9-10", and the albino Senegals will usually only hit 7-8". So both are pretty small as far as Bichirs go.

It's official. Just did a total tank inspection right before changing the water. My rear end in a top hat angels most likely killed all four of the amano shrimp. Havent had a spotting in 5 days and there just isnt that many places for all four to hide in a 20gallon.

loving $17 snack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

demonR6 posted:

I have some CPVC tunnels that I threaded some moss onto and have become almost covered now. Also this other wood that the name escapes me but looks like a honeycomb structure.. they love it immensely. One word of caution for tunnels like what I use, be sure it is fish friendly else bad things can happen. Plant cover though should help and once things grow in, if you are using live plants, the shrimp will be more comfortable with their surroundings and be out and about more.

My amanos loved my holy wood. But my angels loved eating them more and now I don't have any shrimp. Sigh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Goldmund posted:

Here's a short video of the tank, with the thunderstorm program running on my led lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lb_3Fij6Yk

Very nice. I might do the same thing with a spare tank I got.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anyone in the Bay Area CA want a 55 plexiglass with stand and hood? Built in wet/dry with working pump and coral light. It's in used condition but works and it's free. Just shoot me a PM.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Trilineatus posted:

Don't tempt me :( I am renting and likely moving soon, but I really want a big tank again.

Also, does anyone in the Bay Area (east bay specifically) have any extra malaysian trumpet snails for me? I only need a couple to toss in my newt tank.

It's going on the curb this weekend the wife wants it out....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Why would she throw away something worth so much money?

Good question. We got it for free and now it's taking up valuable space in our garage. I cleaned it up, filled it up and let the filter run for a week. The plexiglass has minor scratches.

Mostly I just wanted to pass it along to a person who would appreciate it.

I'll probably convince her to not put it curbside.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

As a rule, most aquarium plants are fine with a bit of abuse. The vallisneria should be fine and once it gets a foothold you'll probably have loads of it. Anubias work fine tied to a rock or piece of driftwood. They'll adhere in about a month's time and they'll work their roots down on their own accord.

Duckweed...I don't know that there's anything short of trying to keep it in a tank of round-up that would hurt it. It can clog up the intake on your filter though, so maybe put a sponge or some pantyhose over it.

Green slime killed my duckweed. All of it. The few pieces I tossed in my pond bloomed like crazy. Now with different and less lighting the slime died out so I may add some duckweed again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Or get another species to eat them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ashwat posted:

Anyone here have an acrylic aquarium? I've got a single humongous tiger oscar in a 55 gallon glass aquarium that's getting old and the seals are making me nervous. I was thinking of upgrading him to a larger 75-90 gallon acrylic. From what I've read fish can see out of the tank better, which is what I'm looking for since my poor oscar frequently sees himself if I leave the light on and tries to attack his reflection.

Also he loves his television. :)

If you lived in the Bay Area I have two 55 acrylics not being used. Both were salt tanks but I'm tired of storing them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yup. But honestly it takes some pretty drat big scratches to be really noticeable while full.

The other still stands for any other Bay Area goons. Plus I may need to find a new home for my planted 25g with mated pair of angels and assorted cats and neons. I may be leaving for boot camp soon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anyone in the Bay Area, want a pair of mated angels and some neon tetras and pepper cats? Looks like I'll be going off to boot camp in a few months and I don't want to leave the responsibility of my little guys to my wife while I'm gone for 6 months. Would be willing to sell the tanks and equipment extremely cheap too.

PM for more info.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bait and Swatch posted:

Good luck in Basic, it's not as bad as people make it sound. It's pretty easy once you get used to how the military does things.

Thanks but I'm fairly sure my life will be hell but not for the same reasons. I'm 37 year old reservist with police eduction going in with "adults" young enough to be my children. I can't believe I'm doing this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

WTF BEES posted:

So I'm pretty sure my emerald cories went on a mating frenzy and now my tank is covered in what I assume are cory cat eggs. What's the chance they will hatch into baby cories with no intervention? I honestly don't care if the other fish eat them (neon tetras, x-ray tetras, an otto cat, and a bristlenose pleco) but it would be kind of cool to have some little bebes swimming around.

My four pepper cats turned into 10 and then when I was smart enough to check the underground filter plate I had over 20. Traded ten of them for a little store credit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So I bought some of those brackish snails that aren't supposed to breed in fresh water. They are hard workers and have done a decent job playing clean up crew. Nothing has been added to the tank in over six months but water and food.

I got baby snails all the sudden. Cute little snails that look suspiciously like the other snails. Hrm....

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Actually I appear to be totally hosed. I can't believe this is the first one I've noticed on the glass but I am totally infested with some sort of snail with a long spiral shell. I found one sort of big one half buried in my substrate and about roughly 10 billion little ones all over.
Sigh.... Time for a loach.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Seriously I havnt introduced anything in over six months. So weird. Well if they are actually cleaning I may as well let them be for a bit. Good for the soil more or less?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shakenbaker posted:

If they're MTS then yes.

They're really amazing as far as cleanup goes. They'll spend most of their time hiding in the substrate and if you've got soil, they stir it up a bit so you avoid getting pockets of swamp gas. So long as you don't just toss loads of food at them they're not really that much of a pest but if you do overfeed you will definitely notice a growing horde.

Whats the preferred loach for general control of them? I got pepper cats, neons and a pair of big ol' angels.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah. My angels were breeding and getting mega antsy with the neons and cats. Time to move them back in since they stopped with the hanky panky. That should help with the possibly over feeding.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

I am utterly stunned. I've kept my lights low for a few weeks to try combat a persistent algae problem on one of my anubias plants. The surface floating frogbit protested by completely dissolving. There's no trace of it left. :psyduck:

I lost all mine the same way but I tossed a spoonful of it in a barrel pond/mosquitobreeding ground and now my barrel is nothing but frogbit, that stuff loves direct sunlight.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

GreyPowerVan posted:

Okay, I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to keep some fish because I've been really missing my cat lately (I moved into a new apartment with no pets allowed... so she stayed at the old house with my dad). I read through the first 35~ pages of this thread, and looked online, but I'm honestly lost. I need some help with a few things, but a full walkthrough would be helpful.

1. I don't know what size of aquarium I need. I want something hard to mess up at the beginning, since I'm new to the hobby. 20-25g seems to be the consensus.
2. I don't really know where to get decently priced aquariums, my LFS has 10 gallon tanks for $50+ and that seems super high.
3. I don't know exactly which fish I want to keep. I know I want some Corys, so maybe 6 of those, and a Nerite snail if they wouldn't bother each other. Also just a few tetras, and maybe one larger fish as the center piece, but nothing that gets bigger than a 20-25g tank.
4. I plan on having a planted tank, so I was going to do the fishless cycling thing, but what kind of filter would I need/where could I get one, again, LFS is insanely high priced. (first I need to find out which fish I want)

Sorry for so many questions, but my wife and I would feel horrible if we murdered some fish via neglect. I'll probably ask for brand/size recommendations of some of this stuff after I figure out what it is I need exactly.

Oh, also, what's the price range for all of this minus the fish?

Depends... Do you live in the Bay Area,CA?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Every pond I've ever worked on has become a feeding trough for my local raccoon family. I gave up. Good luck!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Reminder. Snakeheads are voracious predators ruining some local Eco systems in North America because they are an introduced species from Asia. The more boring ones can be found from time to time in the live fish Asian market(illegally).

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

drilldo squirt posted:

I just upgraded from a 15 gallon tank to a 28 gallon one. All I got right now are 7 zebra danio and a pelco, you guys have any idea what I could add to this now I got 13 extra gallons to play with?

Cory cat swarm. Maybe 8 or so of them. Very fun to watch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I've had a mated pair of angels for over 18 months now and started with a school of 12 neons. Currently I have six left. Acceptable losses in any case. Never really see them bother the neons.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sigh. My angels decided to breed while I'm on deployment. If they successfully rear a brood with just my wife tossing food in the tank from time to time I'll be pretty stoked.

Probably just eat all the babies again at the two week mark just like last year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm two months from moving to another state. I had a nice community tank and I had just introduced some yo-yo loaches to help with t he snail problem. Well they apparently introduced Ich into the tank and killed everthing but one loach and two pepper cories are left.

gently caress me this tank was running smooth for five years. Anyone near Fremont, CA want a 20g with lots of live plants, snails and possibly an Ich infection? Just PM me. You can have the tank and all the supplies. I'll start over from scratch when the time comes.