Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we probably should change that in the OP.

That said, where would brackish posts go? Here or in the marine thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Iiiiiiiii guess I can dump some pictures too.

Here's my pride and joy and reason I am so poor:

Yes, they are adults, no, have not bred them yet. I finished a month long dry season (daily water changes of 10%, cleaning the filters every other day, daily scrubdowns on the tank) only to find the heater had died, and the work was for nothing.

BUT am trying again! With the dam now up in Brazil, there will be no more wild zebras again.

As in seriously, whatever isn't smuggled out will suffocate and cook.

And my other breeding project, still too young to make babies, my L260s.

drat, I thought I had more pictures. Ah well, here are two of my pleco species!

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 16, 2013

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Queen Gnome posted:

Hey everyone! I was hoping to get some feedback and ideas for potentially getting a dwarf puffer. I had fish as a kid, but nothing too complex. I've had many pets over the years, and am pretty dedicated to taking care of them and learning all of the specifics. After browsing some of the shops, I've fallen in love with dwarf puffers :doh:. They are the god damned cutest little guys, and I'm really considering getting one.

I'd like to get a pretty nice tank for one, possibly two, puffs. Nothing too big, but adequate. Does anyone have suggestions or experience keeping puffers? I've read up on their diet and am cool with getting bloodworms and snails to feed them, but that's pretty new territory for me. I've never planted a tank before or even made a nice looking one, but I'm really excited to give things a go...sink or swim!

The place I'm looking at in Tokyo to get the fish is a pretty respected aquarium shop, but I want to do things right.
http://www.a-forest.co.jp/ (in Japanese)

I'm also going back to the states to visit soon so I could pick up supplies there. I'm nervous, but excited! :ohdear: Let me know what you guys think if you have time!

For most fish, two is a bad number; three or four, even five, means that any aggression issues are spread out. Of course that depends on the size of your tank too! But a well planted 10 gallon can have probably 5-6 pea puffers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Queen Gnome posted:

Ahh, I had no idea about this! Very good to know.
I think having either 1 or 3 would be the way to go with a 5gal or 10gal tank. Would having only one be okay for a pea puffer?

One would be fine but would be a bit dull! In a planted 10 you could easily do 6 or so, depending on the rest of your stock (my pea puffers, however, tore the poo poo out of any fish they could grab a hold of, at least fin-wise) and in a planted 5, a trio would be good.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Queen Gnome posted:

I checked out the aquarium shop in Tokyo I found, and it's siiiiick. They really know their poo poo, so I'm excited to get started with my puffs after my trip next month. I should go back and take some photos of the planted tanks they have for you guys because they are stunning. I was lucky enough to watch one of their professional designers doing a public planting demonstration when I went! Oh, and totoro themed tanks.

I'm really on the fence about one thing though - should I stick to artificial plants, or try my hand at maintaining some real ones? :ohdear:

The real ones are so pretty (especially the moss). I read the information in the OP and on several of the forums linked, but wasn't able to find much about mixing real plants with artificial ones. I'm mostly worried about getting plants that would require me to introduce other fish to the tank other than snails and maybe some small shrimp, but to be honest, shrimp creep me out. I've heard that puffers will likely go after other fish in the tank, as well. Any thoughts?

Puffers love snails. They do. It's their favorite food! And shrimp overall for the same reason, but if you end up with larger amanos, or even prawns, your puffers might become the snacks.

Why not do fake plants and some easy live moss or anubias? Or just do a really kickass false marine tank, where you have little coral setups and fake seaweed plants? I've always wanted to do a false marine tank.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Soylent Yellow posted:

I've gotten rather friendly with one of the people at my LFS, and the topic of cherry shrimp came up. He's quite keen to take some of my booming shrimp population off my hands in return for store credit. The only problem I have with this is that I have absolutely no idea what I should be asking for them. If anyone else has a similar arrangement, how much do you normally receive per shrimp?

Also, the cherry shrimp have gotten me rather hooked on shrimp in general, so I want to branch out a bit. Can anyone reccommend some other interesting shrimp species which aren't too difficult to breed?

My LFS paid me $1 per adult cherry, in store credit.
Another LFS pays me 50 cents cash, but they get my culls, and they know it.

Both stores mark up the price to about $5 per shrimp after.

How soft is your water? Tigers and crystals are always in demand, but don't keep them in the same tank: same as cherries, snowballs, and yellows should never be mixed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good luck with those eggs! I tried my hand at apistos, but our water is too hard for them.

Anyone else get constant lowballers from people who want to buy your fish or fry? Every time I post on another board with my blue-eyed bristlenose fry, the same fuckstick replies I STILL WANT TO KNOW YOUR SALE PRICES FOR ZEBRA PLECOS TELL ME. Zebra plecos are extinct in the wild, and even before that, adults were over $200 each. Average was $100 an INCH. And the price goes up now. I really should ask the fucker why I should sell him one (yes, he wants just ONE) of my zebras and what price he would offer. I somehow think he might dare offer the high price of $80 if I twist his arm.

In other news, any goons going to the ACA? I always want to go to a fish convention but I can't imagine the total cost.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat those are some fat and sassy bass. I don't think I could offer much to such a smart fish though. I know oscars can go nuts and destructive from boredom, and bass too, I'd imagine?

As for the zebras, if I posted my adult group for sale, there are at least six people I know who have already told me they will pay $X for them and to contact them asap if I ever decide to sell. Most of them have experience with hypancistrus; these are not your common bristlenose. The lowball guy just wants one, as he'd told me, because they are so rare and it would go in his planted tank and would be happy with his other fish. So he has no experience dealing with zebras, and he turned down my offer for a snubnose juvie (not a genetic abnormality, and that I offered at the going price for that size because I know he'd never pay it) because he 'wants an adult.'

I'd love to go to the ACA next year, or the catfish convention in Maryland that happens every two years, but unless I win the drat lottery, I doubt it will happen. We don't get that many conventions in AZ; in fact the only one I am aware of is the SAKE, held by the killifish club, and I help set that one up every year!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any advice on how to make the top O-ring on a Magnum 350 stick? Mine came loose, so the filter has no suction...which I found out after about 11 gallons of water from the zebra tank got into the carpet. I swear some days you can't loving win.

No local stores carry these part.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hooray for fuckups.

I don't know if I didn't wash my hands enough or the water was too hot, or the new plant I put in did something, but one of my hillstream loach tanks went from 20 down to maybe 5 overnight. The entire tank is aquascaped with lots of rocks, so after work today I get to tear it down and fish out all the bodies, no pun intended. Found one floating, which I thought was odd, and then saw the mounds of shrimp and scuds and assassin snails over more on the bottom.

Here's hoping I don't lose the rest of them. This was one of my favorite tanks. :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kharnifex posted:

If you don't suspect low oxygen issues, It could be the new plant, outside grown chemically treated etc but this would nuke your snails and shrimp too.

The shrimp and snails are fine?

No, the new anubas was from amother tank with fry, so that was clean. Found one adult and 3 surviving fry. Shrimp and snails and scuds continue fine.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Okay goons, need some help.

Since my cold water comes out of the tap at 91* (go go AZ summer) and this is the first year it has remained like so regardless of the weather, I set up a 30 gallon bin to cool water in. Use the Python to fill the bin, a powerhead to circulate, Prime to dechlor, and it's good for use within a few hours.

But the powerhead output is too small to use a Python hose on. So do I just get a large $80 pump or go back to using buckets? Because I can't find anyone local who can take point A (the powerhead nozzle) and connect it to B (the Python tubing) with any kind of plumbing supply or smaller tube.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah, those days when you just want to throw a $100 filter out the window.

At the zoo we used Magnum 350's for every tank, so I picked up 2 that I personally use, because I didn't want to deal with new canisters: one on my adult zebras, 1 on my 90. The zebra filter started leaking bad after a cleaning, at the top of the filter, and the O-ring was no longer tight. I ordered a new one, and after cleaning everything out again, the new O-ring also isn't tight enough to keep a seal, so water sprays out whenever the filter is turned on.

Is there any kind of oil or lubricant or anything I can put on this or should I just have a nice $100+ filter date with a sledgehammer?

gently caress, at this rate, between the heater dying, the Python not working, and now the loving filter breaking, EVERY loving TIME I get close to completing a dry season to get these fucks to breed, it's like the fish gods are just loving with me now!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think clowns have been bred in captivity; that said they are panaques and need a ton of loving wood to eat. In short, you could breed them in a 20 gallon if the thing was filled with driftwood, heavy filtration, and you found the trigger to set them off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Doradids do that. You will only ever see him MAYBE when the lights are off.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
WTF is with this goddamn summer!

For the first time in years my tap water comes out as 91* or higher. So I bought a 30 gallon drum, filled it, let it circulate overnight, and despite it being 83 in the house, the water is 84*. Either all my thermometers (digital, new batteries) are poo poo, or the AC control lies.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have these guys! Or I am pretty sure I do. Sewellia lineolata.

Mine are in a sponge-filter only tank, little to no current, tons of rocks and algae, and until the water temps from the sink cooked 95% of them, bred like crazy. Do best in species tanks and are loving hilarious to watch. My mom calls them baby banjo cats or stingrays.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

I sure as heck feel like it. :(

Years ago I worked at a small aquarium, and was tasked with insuring the new electric eel got a balanced diet. Since this two foot long animal was in a 55 gallon tank, I had to be super high on water changes, and feeding him earthworms all the time wasn't going to work. So I did some research, picked up some New Life Spectrum wafers...and holy gently caress, this wild caught fish was EATING PELLETS. I was beyond happy. So I did the water changes and fed him, and when he started to swell up, I didn't know what to do. My boss kept asking what was wrong with him, I showed her him eating, the water parameters were fine.

She was stumped.

Finally she dragged him to the vet building, and they X-rayed him: his stomach was full of gravel. When he ate the wafers, he would scoop up bits of gravel at the same time. They had to put him down because of that.

Or the time my boss bitched about the airstones in so many tanks, and me, thinking that was a hint, yanked a ton of them out. a full grown lima shovelnose cat, a dozen silver dollar fish, and 2 huge common plecos all died overnight.

Or the time I didn't cover the eel tank all the way and came in to find three feet of Eel, the moray, dead on the tile.

It sucks. It happens, sadly...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Desert Bus posted:

Does anyone else get a little scared on water change day because you have to put your hands into a tank with a fish that has eaten fish the size of your fingers? I know my Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri sees my fingers and thinks "that looks like food!" I always have to pay attention to where it is when I'm doing stuff in it's tank.

Also, I picked up two Aquaclear 30 powerheads for $8.35 each yesterday. I had to resist picking up the pile of 10's and 20's that were on clearance too. If you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you sometimes they have some amazing deals in their clearance section. This isn't the first time I've found stupidly cheap aquarium stuff there. Don't look at the fish selection though, that will just make you kind of sad and angry as it's similar to looking at fish at Wal-Mart.

When I worked at the zoo, I had a special system setup for the redbelly piranha tank, which was 125 gallons, and had a glass support beam across the top. I would lightly hit that beam on either the left or right side, and the fish would swim to the opposite end of the tank, leaving me to work on the other side. This system worked for about two years. In fact the only issues we had were when fuckers (aka visitors) would come in the building, scream about seeing a handfish (wow, you are sooo original), or start beating the glass while screaming how they wanted to see my hand get eaten. The fists on the glass usually spooked the fish, but only once did one of them run barely into my arm; I knew not to jerk out of the way because that meant a better chance I'd leave the tank with few fingers than I went in with.

Others like the electric eel, I never got a system worked out. The lionfish were too stupid to figure things out, and the dragon moray somewhat did.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

Use Kordon breather bags if you are considering that route. Bettas breathe air, being sealed up in a plastic container is not a good idea. Kordon bags are what nearly every reputable person selling fish online will use now since you can load the bag to the top with water. If you have questions go to The Planted Tank forum and ask in there, someone will be happy to offer more advice on shipping fish which will more or less cover your needs.

You don't use Kordon Breathers with some fish, like cories, bichirs, bettas. Anything that needs to get to the surface for a breath. Breather bags are sealed entirely and filled to the brim with water, no breathing space.

I would personally just not feed the fish for a few days ahead of time, bag them in Petsmart or Petco bags (they usually give you a few if you ask) and put the fish in a cooler or styrofoam box.

Shipping is one thing, but moving for 2 days is pretty easy with simple labryinth breathers. Heck, I know a betta breeder who packs her fish in small water bottles and ships them that way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

Really because my bettas have been shipped to me in Kordon bags? Go figure. Glad they arrived alive and thanks for the heads up.

No idea. The betta breeders I know won't use Kordon for shipping bettas.

Now technically speaking, I guess you could use breather bags as long as you kept part of them filled with oxygen, but that defeats the purpose of a breather bag.

Then again I once got some plecos shipped to me with pieces of kitchen scrubber pads floating in the bag. When I asked the shipper about it, he said that was to prevent a cycle of bacteria. Trying to explain that plecos could get stuck in the loving things and die from stress did not go well.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

durrneez posted:

Ah! So cool! How did you come across them?!

Wow, these guys are staples in my killifish club....they are so widespread that people can't give them away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what is in Algaefix, but if the stuff is similar to what is in Had-A-Snail, the old joke at the pet store was people who use Had-A-Snail had-some-fish too.

What is the usual water change schedule?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure the guppy is pregnant....I don't see the dark area at the vent you usually get with fry.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

I am not too familiar with Dragonscale bettas.. they are a fairly new hybrid aren't they? I can check on the betta forums and ask around.

There are some betta hybrids, but 'dragonscale' is like crowntail, combtail, etc, just another version of B speldens.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cyn Greythorne posted:

I shall soon be setting up a new tank. I want a breeder tank because of their width and lower depth. The store sells many 40 gal breeders, but I can get a 50 gal breeder for about twice as much money.

Is the extra ten gallons worth the extra money?

I wouldn't, unless you have a stand that will only fit a 50 wide somehow.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you can do a 20, that would be awesome. 5 gallons makes a lot of a difference when poo poo goes wrong.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Spaceman Future! posted:

Pretty small for an Amano, it would be dwarfing those cherry shrimp. The markings are way off too, I've seen Amanos with stripes down their back but they will almost always have their signature spots no matter what other patterns they develop. Its probably a hybrid or a really lightly colored Blueberry shrimp.

How do you mean hybrid? The reds, yellows, and blueberries are, as far as I know, all one species, but different color variations. I say it's a cull, IE not one set color standard. I get them from time to time and toss them to the cichlids, otherwise I lose all my reds as reds.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also tetras are schooling fish. You want at least 5 more.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
UDS cats get too large for a 10, so I would count those out. Same with ghost glass cats.

Blind cave tetras are super nippy, so either them or the guppies.

Honestly I think a 10 gallon with 5 or 6 blind cave tetras would be fine. Throw in ghost shrimp once in a while for scavenging and treats for them.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes, am usually the last person to buy from a chain store, but Petsmart has a monthly special with albino bichirs. Under $5. Sadly the stores are only getting 1 or 2 each, so I need to hit as many as I can. Funny thing, the employee kept trying to explain that the standard brown 'dinosaur eels' were more expensive because they are a different species. No, dude. But thanks for the $4 fish!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

:stare: How many birchirs are going to end up in goldfish bowls?

Good: bichirs are atmospheric breathers, similar to bettas and lungfish: without access to open air they will suffocate.

Bad: bichirs get way too large and produce a lot of waste and jump like loving flying fish.

I have a 55 and a 90 for them long term. Right now I only have two, and the senegals, from what I've read, are the most common and don't get as massive and aggressive as some of the others.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bait and Swatch posted:

A lady who has raised some champion bettas occasionally sells some at the fish store I go to in Tucson. They are some of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen.

Stayc F of AZ Bettaheads? Yes, her bettas are insane!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have never seen a rubberlip/nose get over 5 inches. They do like high oxygenated water though. But you can easily keep one, or a bristlenose pleco in your size tank.

Keep an eye on the angel, but cherry barbs are not anywhere near as nippy as rosey or tiger barbs, so it should be fine.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Do you mean tank stands or the stuff that goes in the tanks, for decor? I usually use driftwood and slate rock, and get both on Aquabid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
One of my albino senegal bichir babies died today. No marks on him, he was just floating at the top of the tank. But some of the others don't look so great either; two look almost like they are sloughing skin. Aweeeeeesome.

The tank is instant-cycled with a seeded sponge filter, is about 40 gallons, and last week finished its major bleach, dry, bleach with water, dry, and coated with Prime to get rid of any last bleach particles after the last swordtail in it died from some unknown disease.

Did a 50% water change, upped the temperature, threw in a powerhead, and tons of duckweed and some new driftwood for more hiding places. Fingers crossed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

One of my albino senegal bichir babies died today. No marks on him, he was just floating at the top of the tank. But some of the others don't look so great either; two look almost like they are sloughing skin. Aweeeeeesome.

The tank is instant-cycled with a seeded sponge filter, is about 40 gallons, and last week finished its major bleach, dry, bleach with water, dry, and coated with Prime to get rid of any last bleach particles after the last swordtail in it died from some unknown disease.

Did a 50% water change, upped the temperature, threw in a powerhead, and tons of duckweed and some new driftwood for more hiding places. Fingers crossed.

Time to break down and bleach the gently caress out of this tank. I'll let it dry a week this time. Every bichir died overnight. Not a mark on them save a little sloughing skin. The shrimp and snails in the tank are fine. WTF is this poo poo? As much as it sucks, I'll have to throw out the powerhead and heater, just to be safe....the driftwood I'll use for a snake, and any other ornaments I will chuck. I wanted to move the other bichirs to this growout yesterday, thankfully I did not.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jekub posted:

Help! We've started loosing fish and cannot work out what the issue might be. The tank is 150 litres, it's been setup since November, well planted and uses a good quality external filter. I setup a CO2 system in January which has been on a very slow rate and has seen the plants explode.

Last week our red tailed shark started acting weird and died over night. We have since lost two danios and two guppies, one of the gups looked fine the day before though the other was clearly distressed, sat at the bottom of the tank.

I've done a full schedule of tests and taken a water sample to the specialist fish shop for them to confirm my results. Nitrite and ammonia are both fine, nitrate is high but unfortunately it comes that way here it's not a new variable. PH is within limits and the fish show no signs of disease.

I have been concerned about oxygen levels so I have introduced an airpump which runs when the CO2 is off. I have removed the inline mixer from the CO2 system and put in a separate delivery spiral thing as I think it was restricting the pump flow rate, and also given the filter a clean. I've also cleared the over abundance of floating plants. Currently the remaining gups and danios are hanging around close to the surface which is suggesting oxygen to me.

The rainbows seem entirely unaffected by any of this.

Any ideas? The LFS have asked me to track PH levels morning and evening in case the CO2 is causing fluctuations, other than that its confusing and a bit distressing.

Wait, does the CO2 run at night too? CO2 tends to change the pH in the water as well, so your fish might be getting pretty stressed from pH swings.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
And I feel bad for the danios, because a 3 gallon 'tall' like that really is poo poo room, and they need a school instead of a trio. But hey, at least it's not a goldfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Very cute dude. Looks like a mix of dragon and veiltail.