Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So, I actually started out thinking that - something like 'oh gently caress he's gone and made it mundane', but I keep going back to the point about the fallible narrator. I'm hoping that the next book can bring it back and will give it a shot whenever he gets around to publishing it. I also find the world itself intriguing so would probably put up with some stupid fluff now that I'm invested.

He skipped sweet pirate adventurers so he had more space for the sex elf and manmothers, as well as gooning out over Denna. gently caress Rothfuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hedrigall posted:

Can I get a goonsensus on why I should avoid Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons? I remember there being a reason people don't like them but I can't remember what it was and I'm hearing great things about it on another forum. And I love the idea of posthumans recreating the Trojan war on Mars. It sounds loving awesome. I'm really enjoying The Terror by Simmons so far, and Hyperion will be the next book of his I tackle, but I'm wondering why people say stop there.

Olympos is the not as good one, I liked Ilium. It's the same deal with The Fall of Hyperion, Simmons is just not good at sequels.

Piell fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 7, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

KomradeX posted:

So this is from a bunch of pages back, but why the hate for Red Shirts? It was the first Scalzi book I read and loved it. I'm sure it isn't ground that hasn't been tread before but I enjoyed the light story of the main novel and loved the three epilogues and thought what he did with this was rather witty.

I recently saw Pacific Rim,(it was an awesome cheesy on purpose movie) but in the trailers they had one for the upcoming Ender's Game movie. A few of my friends are/were fans of Cards and can't wait for the movie. But I'm not really of fan of his, mostly because he's a fascist douchebag. I never read Ender's Game one of my friends pretty much detailed the plot for me. So I eventually read the two I'm guessing well known essays about Ender's Gamebeing an apologia for Hitler. [url] http://peachfront.diaryland.com/enderhitlte.html[/url] and http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tenshi/Killer_000.htm (sorry if the websites are kind of 90s crap they're pretty much the first chocies on google). So what is the hive minds consensus on Ender's Game? Is it also possible that the reason so many writers for Sci-fi that have awful opinions, Niven, Card et al is related to that many people first read these when they're teenagers and what Kessel says in his essay (the second link),
I guess you could also use that quote, “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs.” Which I think works as well.

As for another Sci-Fi book, has anyone read The Secret History of Science Fiction I'm really enjoying the hell out of it and have just been enraptured with some of the stories. And unrelated would anyone recommend How to Survive in a Science Fiction Universe?

Ender's Game is best read as a teenager, but it still mostly holds up afterwards. Also the Ender-Hitler thing is dumb and overreaching for something to slam Card over for no reason. I mean, he's a piece of poo poo in real life and you can read his stuff there and see it, there is no reason to go grasping at straws in Ender's Game.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Can't wait for the arc repeated for three seasons where he has to pay a crazy amount of money for tuition and then has to borrow it, and oh no he isn't going to have enough to pay it back, but gets enough at the last minute.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Eddings wrote the same series/book five times, just crossing out the names. That doesn't mean the books are bad or anything - they're decently written and interesting enough. But it's still the same story/characters, every time.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

colonel_korn posted:

If you liked the Rama concept then the sequels (Rama II, Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed) might be worth looking into based on your comments. The style is quite different and they spend a lot more time on character development than the first one, following the same core of characters throughout, I think primarily due to the fact that they were mostly written by Gentry Lee with Clarke sort of consulting on them. Also yeah, the characters who make bad decisions often end up paying for them. There are pros and cons (Lee's writing is a bit trashier and he's prone to including fairly gratuitous sex scenes) but overall I enjoyed them, though it's been a while since I read them. Maybe give Rama II a try and see if you like it.

The Rama sequels are pretty lovely, I recommend not reading them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Wolpertinger posted:

This is honestly a really good way of describing why I like Sanderson - I just hadn't put it into words in such a way - he sets up some simple premises with the mechanics of his fantasy world, and all the plot twists and big reveals just click into place perfectly and suddenly everything makes sense, especially a lot of small niggling bits you hadn't realized were significant until now. Then, if you read it again you realize how everything was really leading inevitably up to that conclusion and how did you not see it before.

This is known as the "Sanderson Avalanche".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The first three are all pretty good - the latest one gets confusing and weird.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

BrianWilly posted:

Piers Anthony I swear to loving god.

Sorry all, I didn't know where else to post this so I'm just going to rant about it here because I've very rarely ever wanted to punch a 79 year-old man in the teeth and yet here we are! So, you know the Xanth books? Sure you do. And did you also know that the latest book in this series, Esrever Doom, features a protagonist who is a gay man in the "real world" but gets magically "reversed" so that he's attracted to women while he's in the magical land of Xanth and, in fact, ends up falling deeply in love with a woman while he's there?

:shepface:

No, I'm not kidding; I read through the book and this seriously happens. And if I had ten thousand years I still couldn't list all the reasons that this is crazy goddamn offensively terrible. Not that this series has needed any help to be offensively terrible lately, but holy drat, dude. Did I honestly used to enjoy these books?

Piers Anthony literally wrote a story where a man had sex with a five year old girl and during the trial the jury said he wasn't morally guilty because she wanted it. Also he wrote this in the author's note

Piers Anthony posted:

It may be that the problem is not with what is deviant, but with our definitions. I suggest in the novel that little Nymph was abused not by the man with whom she had sex, but by members of her family who warped her taste, and by the society that preferred to condemn her lover rather than address the source of the problem in her family.

No one should ever read Piers Anthony.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Walh Hara posted:

Okay, everybody should read The Red Knight (Miles Cameron), it's easily one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. Great intricate story, fantastic action scenes (apparantly the author is a military veteran and historian with expertise in medieval combat), good pacing and plenty of intrigue/mystery. I think the best comparison to his style is Joe Abercrombie.

Apparantly the second book in the series (The Fell Sword) just came out as well.

Nope, the second book isn't out for another couple months.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
drat foreigners!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
There are lots of non-racist/non-sexist authors out there who write good books, so I prefer to support them with my purchases over racist/sexist authors. This hand-wringing over GOING TOO FAR is just dumb.

Piell fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 19, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
You can entertain without being racist/sexist though. You can write good novels without being bigoted, the two things are mostly unrelated!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

At risk of causing a huger derail, what did John Ringo do?

I know he wrote some truly horrible (OH JOHN RINGO NO) fiction, but it sold like crazy and he said "Eh, gently caress it" and kept writing.

I wasn't aware he was a shithead, for lack of a better term.

Besides being a super right-winger, the main character in the Ghost series of novels is basically John Ringo turned up to 11, with similar lovely views. (see here and here).

Quick highlights:

John Ringo posted:

[Referring to John Scalzi] As president instead of, oh, I dunno, working to get better generalized terms for new authors, ensuring contracts are upheld with publishers, maybe, someday, getting a loving health care insurer for all us authors who don't have health insurance, he'd been concentrating on IMPORTANT matters like making sure all characters were called s/he and women weren't being harassed at cons
Women are natural prey and the only way to change that is arm them to the teeth.
To many men, it feels good to hit women. To many men, perhaps to most, it feels good to be violent in general.

Piell fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 20, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Literally no one is calling for a blacklist of authors who are never allowed to be published again or to demonize authors who made a couple bad jokes. What some people are interested in is a list of authors who are extremely racist/sexist, so that individual readers can choose not to support those authors, voluntarily. This CENSORSHIP SLIPPERY SLOPE UNDERGROUND RACIST RAILROAD panic is weird as hell.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Some people don't want to support racist or sexists even tangentially, but nobody is talking about forcing people to do anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Definitions of words change, sorry for your sperg buddy

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Didn't she just freak out about the possibility that a Hugo host might call her fat recently? That name looks familiar.

Here's a pretty good summary of what happened.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

It's not like the dude is going to hop down off the podium and kidnap you for a rape dungeon.

On the other hand he might start dry-humping you.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Altered Carbon, maybe?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Darth Walrus posted:

That was kind of obvious from literally the first few chapters. I mean, poo poo, the prologue was named 'Yomi', and then a vaguely sinister-looking character named Izanami showed up. Sure, not everyone has even the slightest of passing familiarities with Japanese mythology, but that's entry-level, like if the book started with a prologue entitled 'HELL' that had some dude moping about how God's a douchebag and he wants out, and then introducing a friendly, slightly off character called Satan Lucifer. I get that goons have a violently antipathic reaction to anime (with good reason), but you were warned well in advance, and this poo poo only qualifies as 'anime' by dint of coming from the same country and showing up in an inherently nerdy subgenre. It's almost literally Event Horizon with a different national mythology. I mean, I'd get what you were complaining about if you were talking about, say, the Grand Central Arena series, because jesus christ Ryk Spoor tone it down, but this is basically 'OH MY GOD IT WAS JAPANESE I GOT JAPANESE ON ME GET IT OFF GET IT OFF GET IT OFF'.

Sorry about the big blocks o' black, by the way. Not sure how to reduce them unless everyone's cool with me spoiling some plot poo poo.

It would be just as dumb if it was a Navajo ghost with a tomahawk.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Cardiovorax posted:

Jesus. If you can still tolerate anything by that guy after reading this, you need a punching in the face. He stops like this short of outright calling nig black people "NK Jemisins" subhuman. That's awful even by scifi author standards.

He actually doesn't stop short!

"Vox Day posted:

Further evidence in support of my time-to-civilization hypothesis. At this point, the debate competitions may as well bring in gorillas from the zoo and distribute the "debate" awards on the basis of which primate was able to throw the most fecal matter. That "alternative-style" of debate is no less dialectically legitimate than hip-hop, spoken-word poetry, and appeals to “nigga authenticity”.

If I were a college student these days, I would show up for a debate wearing a dress and smeared red lipstick, and no matter what the resolution was, start rapping very passionately about how the more pressing issue was how the U.S. government refused to let me marry a silverback gorilla. Then I'd turn it over to my partner, Baraka from the National Zoo, who would take a massive dump on the stage before chucking large handfuls of it at the other competitors, hooting and howling all the while.

Piell fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 20, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

RisqueBarber posted:

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not to read The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron? The reviews seem vastly mixed. I loved the Red Knight but what I loved was the fast pace of it, and I hear The Fell Sword is very slow.

I thought it was a pretty big letdown from the first book.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Bringing this over from the Dresden Files thread since it fits better here

Tornhelm posted:

You do realise that the entire reason he suports them is to annoy the far-left? I mean gently caress, his fans got John Ringo a Fan's Choice Romance Award for Ghost. Which is equally amusing/horrifying and is something that GBS/Reddit would do out of boredom.

Hey Tornhelm it's not cool to support racist and sexist pieces of poo poo like Vox Day, even if it's just to annoy "the far-left!" You don't have to be far-left to think Vox Day should be repudiated by literally everyone.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 22, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
When the guy that Correria is championing is saying stuff like this, you don't get to claim that he's not racist/homophobic.

Vox Day posted:

Further evidence in support of my time-to-civilization hypothesis. At this point, the debate competitions may as well bring in gorillas from the zoo and distribute the "debate" awards on the basis of which primate was able to throw the most fecal matter. That "alternative-style" of debate is no less dialectically legitimate than hip-hop, spoken-word poetry, and appeals to “nigga authenticity”.

If I were a college student these days, I would show up for a debate wearing a dress and smeared red lipstick, and no matter what the resolution was, start rapping very passionately about how the more pressing issue was how the U.S. government refused to let me marry a silverback gorilla. Then I'd turn it over to my partner, Baraka from the National Zoo, who would take a massive dump on the stage before chucking large handfuls of it at the other competitors, hooting and howling all the while.

You don't get to hang out in the KKK and watch as other people are burning crosses and then claim you're not racist just because you didn't actually set it on fire yourself.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The important part of the quote is :

Correia posted:

The thing is, even if what these people say about Vox is true,(and I personally think it is as grossly exaggerated as anything else these people decide to attack)

He thinks Vox Day is being exaggerated out of proportion, and therefore he is saying what Vox Day is saying isn't really that bad. But it is! It's some hateful vile homophobic racist poo poo, which I literally showed a few posts up. Vox Day is a sexist racist homophobic rear end in a top hat, and so is anyone who goes out of their way (as Correia did) to support him.

Nobody is saying that Vox Day shouldn't be allowed to write books. Nobody is suggesting that his books be censored or taken off the shelves and burnt. What people are suggesting is that if you don't want to support racist homophobic sexists, don't buy Vox Day's books or the books of anyone who goes out of their way to support huge racist sexist homophobes like Vox Day.

See, here's the thing about those political claims. Those against racism, sexism, and homophobia are both more often left-wing and are also actually correct. Those who openly support racism, sexism, and homophobia are more likely to be right-wingers, and are also factually wrong and human garbage.

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 22, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

zoux posted:

Two books summaries were posted in the GBS "space thread":

The first one is The Road Not Taken

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Darth Walrus posted:

Should I mention here the Aldenata collab with Tom Kratman that featured the heroic SS?

To be fair, that's more Kratman than Ringo. Ringo is just a creepy right win nut, Kratman is the literal fascist.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The cover is a ludicrous abomination, yes, that's the one. To be fair, if you're gonna draw a sex robot protagonist for a book cover . . .

Man, you can't say that and not post it!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

mdemone posted:

The more time goes by, the more I wonder just how the hell George Lucas even managed to make the first trilogy as good as it was. Was he once a competent and imaginative writer/director, and then his talent fell down a mountain? Or did they succeed despite his mediocrity, simply because he'd happened to catch lightning in a bottle by creating such a worthwhile universe? And if the latter is true, then how could he have fumble-hosed the prequels so badly?

He was surrounded by people who were willing to tell him "that's dumb as gently caress George, do something else."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
T. C. McCarthy

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
It's included in the book but it doesn't ever actually matter at all, it's just there and explained that "oh I don't know how to tell the difference between the sexes" half a dozen times throughout. You could pull it out and have the exact same story.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The new Humble Book Bundle has Bujold's Curse of Chalion and Gaiman's American Gods, both of which are really awesome and you should get them if you haven't read them already!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Chairchucker posted:

Some astronomical whatsits still officially consider it a planet.

Only the dumb ones.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Chairchucker posted:

Why? The definition of planets is made up by humans. A different group of humans can choose to use an entirely different definition if they want.

There is no possible definition of "planet" that includes only the eight planets plus Pluto other than "these are the ones that we called planets in the olden days."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
The cover has nothing to do with the book but it is a pretty sweet book

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I read the book and I agree with Darth Walrus.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

HIJK posted:

Haven't heard of this before but "anti-grimdark" sounds awesome.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the third book and "anti-grimdark" totally does not describe the series at all. Overall it's pretty good, though not nearly as flavorful as his Twenty Palaces series.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Speaking of Connolly's kickstarted books I actually liked A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark a lot more than the Great Way series, which I thought was kinda mediocre The ending is super deus ex machina and comes from nowhere with little buildup. A Key, An Egg, An Unfortunate Remark is basically a much less grimdark version of his Twenty Palaces series and was pretty good IMO.

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 24, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ravenkult posted:

Are they basically the same plot over and over again like Twenty Palaces was?

Nah, it's a solid trilogy, it (spoilers for ending)just goes to poo poo when the REAL BAD GUYS show up 3/4 of the way through the final book and they're the dudes who possibly a single page beforehand if you put all their appearances together. And then the two main characters don't even fight them, 95% of the way through they meet the gods and fight them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

There's a lot of choices, but it's a toss up between the Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer (they all rocked), or Wolf Hunt 2 by Jeff Strand. Both authors are great guys as well.

Woah, I didn't know Wolf Hunt had a sequel out, I'll have to pick that up.