Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I will continue to generate this discussion every time Neurosis whips out his nerd boner for JCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Through osmosis you too may become the shitstain

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm listening to Angry Planet again on audiobook before I pick up Common Orbit. It's so feel good. The perfect comfort food.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

WarLocke posted:

So I just finished Diamond Star by Catherine Asaro and I do believe this was the first time I've read a sci-fi book where the central plot is about an exiled prince becoming a holo-rock star, power ballads and all.

And since my taste in music seems to be perennially stuck in the 80s, is there anything similar out there? The only other major use of music (like this, anyway) in sci-fi I can think of at the moment is from Macross/Robotech...

VVV: Well, I was thinking more along the lines of stuff in book form, but that still looks pretty awesome and I need to see it now.

This is going even further off topic but if you want a cool synthwave band with an 80s sci fi vibe check out Gunship. The best songs are "The Mountain" and "Tech Noir".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Wait, songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

neongrey posted:

If nothing else, someone who actually knows the slightest thing about music is probably to the benefit of it. Not my first choice of things to be fixed but it's on the list.

If I could fix The Kingkiller Chronicles by only altering or getting rid of two things, they would be 1) every word of the entire series and 2) Patrick Rothfuss