Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

andrew smash posted:

Any recommendations for good audiobooks? I am nearing completion on the 6 dune novels and have Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell queued up but I have a credit to burn on audible and would like to find something to use it on. I don't much care if it's a novel I've read before, i'm more interested in good performance.

Mark Bramhall reading Lev Grossman's The Magicians is my favourite audiobook performance I've ever heard. He perfectly captures the atmosphere of the book, and does the characters' voices excellently.

If you haven't heard of the book, it's a bleak fantasy novel about a magic school (think Harry Potter but with added depression and alcohol and sex). The setting, being an exclusive New England college, as well as the bleakness and undertone of creepiness, reminds me a lot of Donna Tartt's The Secret History... only, you know, with magic. The book also has cool allusions to Narnia and other fantasy works.

Don't bother with the sequel though. The Magicians works perfectly as a standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fremry posted:

Reposting from the recommendation thread because I didn't get much there:

Frack Schatzing's The Swarm is a decent popcorn thriller. Basically the ocean turns against humanity. All of the ocean. The creatures, the water, everything. Death ensues, dashing scientists save the day. It's like Crichton but not as science-phobic, and The Abyss but not as happy-clappy.

Edit: oh and let me second the recommendation for The Scar by Mieville. Fantasy, but one of the most imaginative and scariest books about the ocean you'll read. One of my all time favorites :h:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 18, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cheston posted:

I just finished reading Galactic North. At this point, I've read all of the Revelation Space books except Absolution Gap and The Prefect and I want to complain about Galactic North specifically (the short story, not the book it's in):

Did Alastair Reynolds just kill off the Inhibitors, replace them with a new unstoppable machine threat, and trivialize every character and conflict in all of the prior books during a short story? I don't really want to read the rest if it's just "...and then some nonsentient terraforming robots we made at one point and didn't mention totally beat the machines that can (after two books of buildup) literally use stars as flamethrowers, so everybody died." I looked it up and saw that he wrote it in 1997, before all of the other books, but, like, is this an actual thing? Did he stick with this? It feels really thoughtless next to the rest of the series, and with the whole "turning the galaxy green" thing it just reminds me of Mass Effect.

Pretty much, yes.

Although the greenfly isn't what kills the Inhibitors, but don't expect more than mere hints as to what actually does in Absolution Gap.

If it helps, I read that short story before Absolution Gap and I still enjoyed the weird ride that is the final book. It's very, very different to what came before. Just be warned.

edit: You also get some good closure for some of the characters in Absolution Gap. Especially Scorpio and Captain Brannigan, who weirdly both become the main characters.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 21, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Velius posted:

Pretty much no one recommends you read Absolution Gap. It's terrible and contributes nothing to the story. For what it's worth. New, shallow characters, nonsensical plot, deus ex machina in the last paragraph. It actively makes the previous two books worse.

Uh you must have missed like 3 posts above where I recommended reading it. It has some awesome moments even if it feels like a total side story in the universe. (And anyway, nothing's stopping Reynolds from coming back and writing more about the Inhibitor war.)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Neurosis posted:

Has anyone read Peter Watts' Beyond the Rift? Is it just a collection of stories you can read on his site anyway or does it have much new?

I'm halfway through, it's a great collection, but yeah it's all reprints (apart from a new afterword).

In the book:

quote:

The Things
The Island
The Second Coming of Jasmine Fitzgerald
A Word for Heathens
Home
The Eyes of God
Flesh Made Word
Nimbus
Mayfly (with Derryl Murphy)
Ambassador
Hillcrest vs. Velikovsky
Repeating the Past
A Niche
Outtro: En Route to Dystopia with the Angry Optimist

On his website:

quote:

Home
Ambassador
Bethlehem
A Niche
Flesh Made Word
Bulk Food
Fractals
The Second Coming of Jasmine Fitzgerald
Nimbus
A Word for Heathens
Mayfly
Repeating the Past
Hillcrest V. Velikovsky
The Island

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The upcoming novel Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson looks very Mieville-esque. I want to preorder it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I read a description somewhere that summed Saga up perfectly: it's like Star Wars with way more dicks in it.

Highly recommended.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fart of Presto posted:

Book bundles, like its computer game counterpart, seems to be gaining popularity, selling books from known and lesser known authors for a reasonable price.
Even the Humble Bundle have had a few runs, where they sell ebook bundles and currently have an audio book bundle for the next 3 days, though theirs is usually a mixed bag of genre and non-genre books.

The latest sci-fi/fantasy bundle, as far as I have seen, is the BookBale Bundle. It's run by Phoenix Pic/Arc Manor, and the Pay What You Want starts with a minimum of $2.99 for these 6 books:
  • Lights in the Deep by Brad Torgerson
  • Veiled Alliances by Kevin J. Anderson
  • Ocean by Brian Herbert and Jan Herbert
  • Iterations by Robert J. Sawyer (short story collection)
  • Their Majesties’ Bucketeers by L. Neil Smith
  • Alien Influences by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Pay a minimum of $10 and you also get
  • Ivory by Mike Resnick
  • The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett

Does anyone know any of these books and care to comment on them?

My thoughts about Alien Influences on Goodreads:

quote:

Kind of a weird, depressing novel about abused children who become abused adults, oh and there's some aliens in there somewhere. Actually, for a book called "Alien Influences" I wish there'd have been more aliens. The Dancers are the main exospecies of the book but, after the first 20% or so of the book, they only get talked about (rather than actually appearing). There are allusions to many other species but this book hardly explores alien biology, society, etc, at all.

Other science fiction elements are also very, very light. They take a backseat to the more fantasy/spiritual elements of the Dancers' powers. Also, the worldbuilding was incredibly light. I would've liked to know more about this universe, its history, exactly how far humans have gone into space, how many species they've encountered, and so on. None of this was really delved into. Far more, it's a book about psychology. That's fine I guess but it's not the kind of book I'm into.

The ending lacked any real revelations, and overall the plot was alright, but the book felt like just a series of underwhelming events strung together.

Yeah I wouldn't really recommend it, sorry.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Explorer is literally the worst science fiction book I've ever read.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's utterly boring. The entire novel until literally, loving LITERALLY the last two pages consists of the main character hiding in vents and watching things happen. It's also completely devoid of actual science. The author seems to think that turning off a spaceship's engines would result in the ship coming to a dead stop. The characters have lag-less conversations with people back on Earth, over distances of light-minutes-to-hours. It's so loving unreadably bad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Who's read James White's Sector General books? I'm working through the first omnibus and the alien biology stuff is great, but by god the sexism! Every (human) woman is treated as eyecandy for the (human) doctors, who are all male only because women's "pretty little heads" can't handle the Educator tapes. Also there are hilarious scenes where the doctors are forced to eat salad and it's excruciating for them and they wish they could just have a nice big steak.

I'm surprised they're not all walking around smoking in the hospital too.

loving 1960s. :laugh:

edit: Anyway read these books if you want a more-sexist-than-Gregory-House House, in spaaaaace!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 21, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Krinkle posted:

I'm reading A Deepness In The Sky, I'm about a third of the way through it, and I just realized I'm confused as gently caress. I only now realized they do the asian thing, where family names go first. Their organization being the Qeng-ho and the asian names in general didn't tip me off. I thought these people were individuals and find out there are families walking around and each name might correspond to up to three different characters. People I thought were dead are walking around, people who should DEFINITELY KNOW THINGS are walking around oblivious to it. People who are supposed to be respectable are being called suck-up idiots by people I thought were their friends. My understanding of who is what and where with the why is all tied in knots. I'm miserable with non-anglophone names, I guess. I want a genealogy chart or character guide that will just give me the basics without spoiling what comes next and I'm afraid to google for it.

Anyway from what I do understand I really like what I'm in for. It is a little like Asimov's Culture series, what with space traders trying to outwit the more thuggish human space cultures. And there are sentient spiders who drive sports cars that both sides are spying on, waiting to make first contact. I can't remember why I bought the book, who recommended it, or what it was related to that brought it up in conversation but I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. I just don't want to have to start over. poo poo this one guy is a name from legend and I don't understand why he's there in the present and had to go back and read that he was the guy from the prologue. As I'm typing this out I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to reread it and take notes on who's who. Dang.

When you start getting chapters from that old bumbling Pham whatsisface dude's perspective, a loootttt will become much clearer.

edit: Pham Trinli. That dude. Wait for his POV chapters.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cardiac posted:

On Mieville:
Not wanting to start the typical derail about authors and politics, but the wikipedia entry on Mieville just reinforces my belief in not giving a poo poo about authors opinions unless it affects their writing.

Before the whole :can: starts about China Miéville, read this quote. It will explain everything you need to know about how much Miéville's politics affects his work:

China Miéville posted:

I'm not a leftist trying to smuggle in my evil message by the nefarious means of fantasy novels. I'm a science fiction and fantasy geek. I love this stuff. And when I write my novels, I'm not writing them to make political points. I'm writing them because I passionately love monsters and the weird and horror stories and strange situations and surrealism, and what I want to do is communicate that. But, because I come at this with a political perspective, the world that I'm creating is embedded with many of the concerns that I have. But I never let them get in the way of the monsters. Now that was slightly different with Iron Council, because I had the sense for some years that I wanted to write a third book that operates as a culmination, which was overtly political and precisely about my kind of politics in this world that I've created. So it was a book that was, if you like, deeply structured with politics, but that doesn't mean that it's a manifesto, that doesn't mean that it's an argument disguised as a novel, because even though those politics are central, I know that as a novelist I want to tell a story, and that means that I have to have characters that are engaging. Even if you don't agree with my politics or don't give a poo poo about them, the story has to be engaging. And that's the great thing about big, political radical movements. For instance, if you read about the Paris Commune, whether or not you agree with the position of the Communards, the Paris Commune is a tremendously exciting story. What I tried to do is write something which works as an exciting story but which treats the politics seriously. All of which is a long-winded way of saying I've never had any problems with the American market, because I don't think I'm patronizing or condescending to readers or trying to convince them of a particular political line. I'm trying to say I've invented this world that I think is really cool and I have these really big stories to tell in it and one of the ways that I find to make that interesting is to think about it politically. If you want to do that to, that's fantastic. But if not, isn't this a cool monster?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Krinkle posted:

I finished A Deepness in the Sky. I thought the ending was a little too pat, glib, I"m not sure I know the words to describe how the ending felt just slightly too on the nose. I don't know, but it was enjoyable.

I went looking for sequels and found a prequel in fire upon the deep, I think that was its title at least. It's not making an impression yet, but Deepness took a while to cohere into a plot I could grasp.

I heard he wrote a third zones of thought thing, recently, 2011 or something. If this book turns out to be not my thing, would that third book be more like deepness or this one?

A Fire Upon the Deep takes place far, far in the future from A Deepness in the Sky.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

corn in the bible posted:

I was more talking about the endless descriptions of dolphin masturbation

You didn't like the dolphin who wanted to rape the human woman as a comic relief character?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a really cool half-hour interview with Alastair Reynolds on the Sword & Laser video podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZZu1WYo9k

He mentions he's working on a new Revelation Space short story, too :neckbeard:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone else read The Burning Dark by Adam Christopher yet? I'm about 40% in and it's really compelling. Lots of spookiness and mystery aboard a space station. A cover quote calls it The Haunting of Hill House in space, and that's a pretty apt comparison so far. Other reviews are invoking Event Horizon, which is like my favourite horror movie.

However, I've read some reviews that say the book ends up explaining too much, which diffuses the tension and fear. I'm hoping it has a satisfying ending, anyhow.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

syphon posted:

I think I need to institute a rule about not starting new Sci-fi/Fantasy series' until they're completely written. I keep notes on series' in progress and realized that I'm waiting for new books in the following series:

1) A Song of Ice and Fire
2) Kingkiller Chronicles
3) Gentlemen Bastards
4) Stormlight Archive
5) Demon Cycle
6) Lightbringer
7) Expanse series
8) Powder Mage Trilogy
9) Raven's Shadow
10) Chronicle of Unhewn Throne

Has something changed lately that's breathed new life to these genres, or am I just making poor choices for new books?

I think you've stumbled upon the secret fact that books don't spawn from the aether, but rather, have authors who need to take time to write them, word by word.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Damo posted:

Can someone recommend a good first Alastair Reynolds novel?

I know the Revelation Space series is his go to stuff, but would I be better off reading a standalone novel of his first to see if I like his style? I was thinking House of Suns or Pushing Ice, those are both standalones (in terms of not being a series, and not a part of the same universe as his Revelation Space books, am I right?) and seem well regarded among his works, would either of those be a good place for me to start? If so, which one of those two would be the better book to start out with?

House of Suns is excellent, a fully-contained, epic space-opera that beautifully demonstrates everything good about Reynolds. Personally I like the Rev Space books even better, so you could then move onto them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cardiac posted:

Lynch/Gentlemen Bastards seems to have psychic problems,

All those drat psychics hounding him day and night

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So true. I was pumped for Abbadon's Gate, but then it ended up being "Oh, they added three books to our contract, time to spin the wheels while we come up with ways to extend the plot forever".

They extended the contract after book 1, so my theory is that book 2 was the filler book (because it doesn't deal directly with the protomolecule that crashed onto Venus, just human experiments using the protomolecule IIRC; still the best of the lot so far though!) and book 3 is what book 2 was going to be.

Book 3 is definitely the worst so far. If I'm right, book 3 is the middle book of the original envisaged trilogy. Hopefully things get better with Cibola Burn.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://io9.com/syfy-is-turning-james-s-a-coreys-books-into-game-of-t-1562411885

io9 posted:

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to The Expanse, a new show based on James S.A. Corey's acclaimed space-opera novels, with the first season comprising 10 episodes. And they're describing it as "Game of Thrones in space."

Wow, not even a pilot, they've ordered a whole 10 episodes. This could be good.

They're also doing a loving 12 Monkeys tv show????

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Darth Walrus posted:

I'll warn you right now, it's going to contain giant loving spoilers if you haven't finished the book.

:words:

Really, because here's my thoughts as I headed towards the ending:

quote:

Hmm, this is creepy. Whoa, it's kinda scary in places! The tension and the dread is really amping up. This is cool! The backstory's really interesting too. Oh my god this is amazing! Somebody finally did space horror right! This book is gr— FFFFFFAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Darth Walrus posted:

How close in to the ending? Because yeah, I think that, like, the last few pages were weak, with some tension being lost to the aforementioned catchup for people who still didn't have a clue, and a bit too much of the climax being offscreen and/or open-ended/underexplained (What was the deal with the full transcript of Ludmilla's death? What purpose did it serve? Wasn't all of it information we already had?). However, it seemed like it did enough, without retroactively ruining the rest of the story. It's not like the ending, to, say, the Deepgate Codex, which was a complete loving disaster and felt like the author had just run out of pages. Actually, I'd place it above Hull Zero Three as well in terms of how much tension it manages to retain, because Zero Three really deflated hard quite a bit earlier (though that wasn't my only complaint with that book - the first part went past 'intentionally confusing' straight into the realm of 'unpleasantly difficult to parse').

After a slow and terrifying build up of horrific visions and people disappearing, the main threat turns out to be a Japanese spirit thing who literally stands on a pile of corpses wielding her katana, uguu~. The book turned into anime. It became anime, in my hands. loving Adam Christopher weeaboo piece of poo poo.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually just wrote a blog post about the space horror subgenre, and I mini-review 5 works (Unto Leviathan, Blindsight, Hull Zero Three, The Burning Dark, and the Revelation Space series) while giving comments on the horror elements, SF elements, and mystery/resolution elements of each work.

http://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/space-horror-five-recent-works/

I also spent some time doing cool graphics for the ratings in Photoshop, like so:

Pretty proud of that glowy control panel look :3:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fried Chicken posted:

Your page here got tweeted out by Alistair Reynolds the other day. Awesome job man!

Yeah that was a cool surprise :D

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

This entire blog is pretty awesome. Would you consider enabling full-text RSS feeds? I do most of my blog reading on the train where I often don't have signal, so truncated RSS feeds aren't much good for that.

Hey thanks! I thought it was enabled... Wordpress's settings tell me that full text goes out on the RSS. :confused:

edit: Looking at the raw feed ( http://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/feed/ ) it seems like the full text of each article is there.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Has anyone posted the blurb for Echopraxia by Peter Watts (sequel to Blindsight) yet? It sounds insanely awesome:

Amazon posted:

Prepare for a different kind of singularity in Peter Watts' Echopraxia, the follow-up to the Hugo-nominated novel Blindsight.

It's the eve of the twenty-second century: a world where the dearly departed send postcards back from Heaven and evangelicals make scientific breakthroughs by speaking in tongues; where genetically engineered vampires solve problems intractable to baseline humans and soldiers come with zombie switches that shut off self-awareness during combat. And it’s all under surveillance by an alien presence that refuses to show itself.

Daniel Bruks is a living fossil: a field biologist in a world where biology has turned computational, a cat's-paw used by terrorists to kill thousands. Taking refuge in the Oregon desert, he’s turned his back on a humanity that shatters into strange new subspecies with every heartbeat. But he awakens one night to find himself at the center of a storm that will turn all of history inside-out.

Now he’s trapped on a ship bound for the center of the solar system. To his left is a grief-stricken soldier, obsessed by whispered messages from a dead son. To his right is a pilot who hasn’t yet found the man she's sworn to kill on sight. A vampire and its entourage of zombie bodyguards lurk in the shadows behind. And dead ahead, a handful of rapture-stricken monks takes them all to a meeting with something they will only call “The Angels of the Asteroids.”

Their pilgrimage brings Dan Bruks, the fossil man, face-to-face with the biggest evolutionary breakpoint since the origin of thought itself.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

General Battuta posted:

This upcoming anthology is packed with a lot of my favorite authors, and (by nature) it'll be a killer reference for those 'but who should I read!' discussions:

I think Sriduangkaew is going to take Best New Author this year.

After the pretty drat good anthology Aliens: Recent Encounters also edited by MacFarlane, I'll probably be getting this one too!

(I have a review of said anthology on my blog)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Walh Hara posted:

Well, the 60 pages/hour thing is just a guess based on articles that claim an average untrained adult reads around 250 words per minute and me assuming that's about one page (it normaly is). However, I just checked and apparently asoiaf only has about 180 words per page, probably because of the dialogue.

Because of this and since you would obviously expect that people in this subforum read faster than average because we read more than average, most people here could probably read asoiaf at a rate of 100 pages/hour or more.

Note: it should be obvious reading speed depends on the book.

Not if you have borderline ADD and reading a page or two takes 5-10 minutes because you have to keep re-reading the same sentences over and over then restarting paragraphs because your mind was racing with a million other thoughts that had nothing to do with the book, then realising you'd better start again at the top of the page, and so on... :sigh:

Despite this I have dedication and I manage to get through 45-50 books a year so :toot:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I know this is nowhere as cool an accomplishment as General Battuta's, but I just got my first review quote published on a book's back cover :toot:

It's such a generic-sounding quote but oh well :D

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 1, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Talus and the Frozen King by Graham Edwards (added a photo to my post above you) but the review quote was about an earlier work of his.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
As well as The Expanse (SF series by James SA Corey), SyFy is now turning Lev Grossman's The Magicians into a TV series! Exciting times :toot:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/04/the-magicians-lev-grossman-television-adaptation

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The Magicians was just a boring rear end book. Other than the apple faced guy showing up, it was basically the GRIMDARK version of "Boy, life is hell, ennui".

It's actually a pretty smart self-contained book about depression.

Then the publisher-mandated sequel came along and farrrrrttttted all over what Grossman had achieved with book 1 :sigh:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Decius posted:

Yes, of course and with good reason. People buy books for summertime reading at the beach and for wintertime reading/gifting at Christmas (this alone makes up the majority of book sales in certain (= mainstream bestseller) categories). Book publishing is pretty similar to cinema releases in this regard.

Who reads at the beach? You'd get sand all through your book, ugh

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Personally I think the thread should talk about authors as well as works of SF/F, it should provide a ground for this kind of discussion.

Ornamented Death, Cardiovorax and General Battuta (and whoever else), I'm glad you're posting important stuff about authors and politics of the SF/F community in here. Keep it up!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou, maybe go to /r/printSF where every thread is "recommend me books about [thing here]" and the replies are all just lists of titles.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
All these pinko commies tryin' ta take away my red-blooded white-skinned American sci-fi :argh:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Alternatively, satyr.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My thoughts on Ancillary Justice from a few months ago:

my goodreads review posted:

I have real mixed feelings about this book.

Looking back on it now that I'm done, I really enjoyed the worldbuilding. It seems like Ann Leckie put ten times as much thought into the worlds and cultures and languages of this book, than most science fiction authors do in theirs. The Radch empire is such a robust creation, and for everything we learn about it during this novel, it feels like there are dozens of books worth of unwritten detail under the surface. The characters and their interrelationships, and the broader politics in this book are also complex and well formed. The core concept of a once-omniscient AI forced to inhabit a single human body is fascinating to say the least, and it makes Breq/Justice such a compelling character.

I've gotta give a lot of kudos to Leckie for all of the above. With her future books I really think she could be a great successor to Iain M Banks' space opera legacy (you know, if Banks wrote about evil slave-driving empires instead of utopian socialist societies).

But then I look at my start- and end-date for this book (over a month apart) and think, why did it take me so long to finish? The simple answer is that it was plodding. So plodding — with whole scenes and chapters taken up by conversation after conversation. There's a tiny smidgen of action in the last 40 or so pages, but the first 350 pages of the novel were just the constant machinations and ruminations and conversations of characters. I would have liked more descriptive passages about the worlds Breq visits and the ships and technology and so on. But I guess that's more hard-sf content, while this is mostly a social-sf story.

In the end, I guess I didn't hate all that slow-building non-action. By the climax, things are slotting into place nicely, and the characters have had a lot of development. The taste of action at the end promises more excitement in future books. This was a rewarding book for sure, but with its snail's pace, it made it so hard to focus on when I have lots of other books demanding my attention.

Rating: 4 stars — despite being a bit of a slog to read, the book had an interesting world and a great, complicated main character and I simply want to know what happens in the next book. I'm looking forward to more about the alien races, which were in the background for this first excursion.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The new neolithic murder mystery fantasy-ish book Talus and the Frozen King by Graham Edwards has a positive portrayal of a gay side character but he ends up being one of the murder victims so uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bolverkur posted:

Has anyone read Retribution Falls or other stuff from the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding? I can't tell if this will be a fun adventure through the skies or a cringy cheesefest. I read the Broken Sky series as a kid and at the time I thought it was absolutely amazing, although I have my doubts it holds up as a fun children's sf series today. Having no knowledge of anime at the time probably helped. And being a kid that can just enjoy things has low standards.

I read it a few months ago and really enjoyed it:

my goodreads review posted:

4.5 stars!

drat, that was fun. This was an uncomplicated, rip-roaring adventure story about air-pirates in a well-realised fantasy world. It had the vibe of the TV show Firefly, but its tone and character dynamics were different enough that it didn't feel like a clone. It also reminded me a bit of The Lies of Locke Lamora, with loveable underworld protagonists getting in over their heads in grander conspiracies. It didn't have the dark turn of Lies though; instead it kept the tone light throughout. That made this a book I can see myself coming back to when I want something cozy and fun to dip into.

The plot kept moving, with few lulls, and there was a nice amount of action to the book. Each of the main characters became pretty well-developed throughout the story, and now that I've come to know them, it makes me all the more eager to check out the next book in the series. A few mysteries were left unexplained, such as exactly what is happening to Jez, and that's also left me hungry for more.

One thing I was quite impressed with throughout the book was the author's adeptness in inventing, and describing, scenery and locations. Every place visited in the story felt different from the last, and I could picture them all clearly. The result was that the world of the book felt like it would be a fun place to visit. The author describes weather excellently too, lending great atmosphere to certain scenes.

A disappointment: the plot wrapped up rather quickly at the end. Could have had one or two more chapters. Perhaps I'll find out some of the aftermath at the start of book two.

There was a small appendix at the end, which was a worthy addition. It included a set of rules for the card game Rake, a variant of poker which features often in the plot. There was also a 20-ish page prequel, in the form of diary entries by the main character in the months preceeding this novel. It's not essential reading, but it was kind of fun to find out what the crew of the Ketty Jay were up to earlier on.