Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I liked it. I ended up stopping about halfway through Fall of Hyperion, it just didn't just didn't grab my attention the way Hyperion did. I guess it would be nice to see how it all goes down so I may finish it eventually, but there's too much on my list right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Rough Lobster posted:

Can anyone recommend some Clive Barker for me? I've read The Great and Secret Show (purchased the sequel, can't wait until it gets here), Weaveworld, and the Hellbound Heart. I disliked the Damnation Game enough to drop it down the return slot of the local library along with a couple of others.

Oh man, if you haven't read his short stories, you're in for a treat http://www.amazon.com/Books-Blood-Vols-Clive-Barker/dp/0425165582

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Peel posted:

There's so many awards in SFF.

It probably contributes to the Hugos still being the premier award even though people have been rolling their eyes for years, well before the puppies got going properly. If you're gonna promote a different one, which one?

We should make our own awards :colbert:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
That makes me a sad goon because I trust your opinions much more than many critics and reviews.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Audible keeps recommending Asher's audiobooks since I've gotten William Gibson and Hannu Rajaniemi books recently. Does that make sense and would you recommend it based on those 2 authors?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Having only just bought a Kindle recently - typically how long is it before a new release like that is available on Kindle?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I need to read TCA. I listened to TQT and TFP on Audible, and then was completely put off by the new narrator. It's not a long book so I should be able to do that soon, although I just began going through some old William Gibson audiobooks (recently started Pattern Recognition)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

computer parts posted:

House of Suns maybe?

Oooh, I'm listening to this on Audible right now and it's very good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
House of Suns (spoiler because if you're going to read this book I wouldn't want this to be spoiled for you even those it's not a 'new' book) Holy poo poo, after all the supreme intelligence and civilized behavior displayed by the Gentian's, the sectioning of Grilse took me by surprise. What a disturbing mental image.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kesper North posted:

For those of you who loved The Martian, which I think is all right-thinking people, there's a promo video for the movie that introduces the crew (as Our Hero grapples with complicated video camera technology). They seem to be getting the tone of the book spot-on, which is encouraging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CumZP6_9sHU

Yeah I'm a huge fan. edit: gently caress was too excited to read the rest of the thread.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just finished Leviathan Wakes, and enjoyed it quite a bit. How are the rest of the Expanse novels?

I am currently enjoying Calibans War very much. It maintains much of the same pacing and momentum, and takes off right where LW leaves off.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Amberskin posted:

IIRC the boobs joke was perfectly OK it its context since the guy was really upset with NASA telling him to tone down his typing "because of the children" while he was in a deadly situation.

That's what I'm thinking. This guy is stranded on a barren planet. Let him have his humor. Also this:

Andy Weir posted:

"There are a bunch of severe psychological effects that would happen to someone being isolated for almost two years. And also the anxiety and stress of being on the verge of death from various problems for so long—most people would not be able to handle that. The loneliness, the isolation, the anxiety, and stress—I mean, it would take an enormous psychological toll. And I didn’t deal with any of that. I just said like, 'Nope, that’s not how Mark Watney rolls.' So he has almost superhuman ability to deal with stress and solitude.

"And the reason I did that was because I didn’t want the book to be a deep character study of crippling loneliness and depression—that’s not what I wanted! So the biggest challenge were the psychological aspects, and I just didn’t address them and I hope the reader doesn’t notice."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Green Crayons posted:

The Quantum Thief: a thread favorite for no discernable reason. Not a bad book, but certainly not good. Just a bit boring. Characters and story felt a flat. Would not recommend unless if you really want steampunk or something.

Yeah I don't get this either. It's a thread favorite for a few very discernible reasons: the technology is very fresh and creative Gogols, the All-Defector, Archons, The Dilemma Prison, and that's just in the first chapter., the storytelling is beautiful, the characters are very well written (even the spaceship has a very distinct personality with her own quirks). For an added bonus, the audiobook narrated by Scott Brick is amazing. I think you'd have to try very hard to find any similarities to steampunk, other than the slight Victorian setting of the Oubliette as Antti mentioned.

The only thing I kind of rolled my eyes at was the whole otaku-guild (zoku) stuff

Anyways, the real reason I came here was to post about this:

Official JRRT Facebook page posted:

We are ready to announce the world first publication of a previously unknown work of fantasy by J.R.R. Tolkien, which tells the powerful story of a doomed young man who is sold into slavery and who swears revenge on the magician who killed his father. The Story of Kullervo is the first piece of prose fiction that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote and is released on the 27th August.

More info here http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780008131364/The+Story+of+Kullervo+

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

andrew smash posted:

The oubliette is paris, not Victorian at all

Good point. So then there are exactly 0 similarities.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Peel posted:

Gonna go ahead and guess there's a reason it hasn't been published before.

Probably something to do with the "previously unknown work" bit.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Junkenstein posted:

Not really, House of Suns is kinda the standard "even if you didn't like Revelation Space, you should still give this a go" recommendation.

As one who read House of Suns first, and then got bored by Revelation Space, I can say this is accurate. House of Suns was so drat good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I recently finished reading Childhood's End. I still need a hug.

Talk about hopelessness.

Started the audiobook for Revelation Space. I listened to House of Suns and liked that alot. RS has the same narrator, but feels so drawn out. Not sure if I'll make it through all 23+ hours of it. The transitions between which parts he's narrating are so subtle that if you're not 100% paying attention you could totally miss that you're in a different year in a different setting.

I like to listen to audiobooks while I'm working out - any recs for a good, fast paced, action sci fi audiobook?

edit: Was thinking about checking out some Neal Asher, or maybe listening to Starship Troopers. Altered Carbon?

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 16, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

coyo7e posted:

Have you tried Red Rising yet? Or maybe Old Man's war? Poor Man's fight? They're all solid and fast-paced.

edit: also Germline (I think that was the first one?) which has a fun narrator POV.

Old man's war has been on my to-read most for some time. Good to hear it's that type of book.

(Don't get me wrong I love elaborate ly detailed space operas, I just want something more fast paced)

Thanks for the rec!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I actually got Red Rising as a gift last year, but haven't read it yet because it sounded so Hunger Gamesy / Divergant-y. Good to hear it's not. May actually read it!

Also, switched over to actually reading Revelation Space as opposed to just listening to the audiobook. It makes such a difference. drat this is a good story and cool world(s).

Also pt 2: Got the audiobook to Old Man's War. It sounds awesome.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Groke posted:

I always loved Roald Dahl, he's creatively morbid. (He also has a special status in Norway and is basically counted as one of ours although he was born and raised in Britain and wrote in English.)

Haha yes. I'm reading The BFG to the kids for story time. It creeps them out so good. It's a fun book.

chrisoya posted:

One has old people loving, the other has space marines coming home to find that everyone's turned gay. They're both pretty good, but only one's a classic.

Nice. I'm about to start on Old Man's War. I can only hope I chose wisely.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AEMINAL posted:

Hey alpha nerds! Looking for some recommendations.

I recently finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds and it was pretty sick, it pretty much gave me everything I could want from a book, other than gory action sequences. Since I enjoyed it so much I began reading his other stand-alone book Chasm City and it DOES have a bit more action but tends to drag somewhat. I'd also enjoy more worldly/alien and technical explanations (I get a boner when authors spend a page explaining how the gun firing does its thing :shobon:).

I absolutely adored The Quantum Thief(Jean le Flambeur series) books because of the incredibly detailed, visceral, quantum-rear end augmented post-mortal hi tech violence in it, and I've been looking for a book with a badass protagonist character.. getting into brutal fights.. kinda like Mieli in the mentioned series, ever since reading it.

So yeah, looking for ultra hi-tech-quantum-augment-post-human brutality in sci fi form! If you could enlighten me I'll let you copy my shitposting Gogol used just now :)

read sf everyday

edit: side note!! a month back or so i met a dude in a bar who also read sci fi and we hi fived like three times as we namedropped books to eachother. it was awesome, i've only met fantasy nerds before but this guy was serious...

i think swedish viking genes make us naturally prefer fantasy or something. :(

Hell yeah.

TQT trilogy is one of my favorites. I've read it several times (including audiobooks for books 1 and 2 with Scott Brick narrating it).

Although it's not as rear end-kicking as you asked for, I'll throw out a rec for House of Suns since you mentioned Alastair Reynolds. It was my first by him and I'm on Revelation Space right now.

I really want more Jean le Flambeur in my life. Eagerly awaiting responses to your post.

Do you use goodreads? I feel like following goons with good taste like yourself could be cool.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Neurosis posted:

the quantum thief and its sequels by hannu rajaniemi

I was going to recommend this one as well.

Really, I'll take any chance to recommend The Quantum Thief.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

xian posted:

Pattern Recognition was great. Excited to read the rest of the trilogy.

I started to read that after reading The Peripheral, and I couldn't make it more than halfway. So I re-read The Peripheral instead and moved on.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Koesj posted:

Whoa I take back what I said about Quantum Thief being a struggle. I just blasted through the second half in one go and it was fantastic. So much for sleep!

Hell yeah, post in here your thoughts about books 2 and 3!

2 definitely changes its town a bit, but I still liked it a lot.

TQT is one of the only trilogies I've read more than once. And it gets better with each read.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AEMINAL posted:

Oh man good idea. Gotta reread them when I'm done with the takeshi kovacs series.

On book#2 now and it's pretty ballin!

For variety, I highly recommend the audio books narrated by Scott Brick if you haven't listened to them already. It's a shame that they had another narrator do book 3 though.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

froody guy posted:

I haven't read *all*the*SF*things* but I've read Pushing Ice, and loved it. But if you're looking into some extremely alien form of.... uh.... aliens, I think Stephen Baxter has what you want. Kind of beings that you cannot really fathom as long as you are "conceiled" into the old conception of carbon based life. The Xeelee are already pretty sophisticated fellas (they like living inside event horizons) but man, the Quagmites? They are pretty loving hilarious to grasp. Kind of beings that you cannot even imagine or at least, how do you imagine a bunch of micro-mutli-dimensional-dudes older than the universe that are feeding themselves off the quagma broth and GUT drives trails??!! :ohdear:

I read the spoilers because I don't really care, and that sounds awesome. I love crazy poo poo like that and might have to check it out.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So basically The Culture is not so much a series, but a bunch of books set in the same universe?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I'm loving the story, characters, and setting of Revelation Space but I'll be honest, it's really hard for me to make it through because of how in depth and drawn out everything is.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Alien: Out of the Shadows: An Audible Original Drama
https://www.audible.com/mt/alien?serial=&source_code=AUDOREM0421169GV8

Sample sounds cool.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Amberskin posted:

I recommend reading it because it is a kinda seminal work in what we call cyberpunk, so it is a "must read" if only as a reference book. Having said that, I find it a terribly overrated book in which a terribly overrated writer pontifies about things he has no idea about.

I think Gibson knows a lot more than you think

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

freebooter posted:

And The Golden Globe's:

"I once played Romeo and Juliet as a one-man show," I said.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just finished Revelation Space over the weekend. gently caress, what a good book. But, I think I'm going to just go ahead and finished The Expanse series before getting into Redemption Ark. Reynolds is just so long winded it was a struggle to finish the book, even if it was completely amazing. He's like the Robert Jordan of Sci Fi (in that he can write 3 pages describing a coffee table).

Edit: With the Babylon's Ashes coming out in November, would anybody be up for an Expanse thread with a plan to read the series before the release, kind of like the Wheel of Time thread that happened a while back? Looks like Reddit's doing one, thought it'd be cool to do one here where I like people.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 16, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TheFonz posted:

Any books by these guys anyone seriously recommends? I browsed a bit, but the thread is almost 400 pages, and again, I'm a bad reader.

I see everybody has gushed about the classics, so I'll just go ahead and skip all that and just go straight to recommending Hannu Rajaniemi's The Quantum Thief trilogy. It's, by far, one of my favorite trilogies. I do agree that you should go ahead and read some classics first to get a grip on the whole cyberpunk think, but it could be interesting to just dive head first into the mindblowing world of TQT. Disclaimer: it may take several reads to "get it", but good news is that it just gets better with each re-read.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Neurosis posted:

Schisimatrix would be the classic example best corresponding to TQT, I think. TQT is fantastic, though the third novel suffers by comparison go the other two.

Third novel does suffer, and it really didn't help that they didn't get Scott Brick to narrate it because his narration of 1 & 2 is phenomenal. I'm probably going to do another re-read after I'm finished with The Expanse series.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hedrigall posted:

New Reynolds novel info:

August, motherfuckers. And there's two other new books by Reynolds coming out before then: his collaboration with Stephen Baxter called The Medusa Chronicles is out this month, and the massive 800-page Beyond the Aqulia Rift: The Best of Alastair Reynolds is out in June.

Ooh neat. Are these parts of a series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I don't know if this is where all The Expanse book reading chat goes but anyways, but am halfway through book 3 when the Martian marine fires the grenade causing the slow zone to change its rules which instantly brings all the ships in the slow zone to 20g halt causing everybody not in crash couches (IE: 90% of everybody) to explode on the walls or get cut in half by doorways and it was a real :tviv: moment.