Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Red Mars from Kim Stanely Robinson hits both your high points there, but be warned that he spends as much time talking about the politics of colonization as he does about the science and engineering of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

AlternatePFG posted:

I finished reading Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey (I've been various sci-fi classics by different authors) and I loved it, I thought the descriptions of the vastness of space were simultaneously beautiful and unsettling. I was wondering if the any of the sequels are worth reading (I'm perplexed as to how there could be sequels in the first place) and if not, what other sci-fi books have a similar tone?

The sequels are... odd. Most of them except 3001 are perfectly fine books, but none of them live up to 2001 since they just end up explaining issues from 2001 and never can offer much satisfying on their own. They're light reading, so it's not that big of a task, but there's better.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm currently reading 2010, and enjoying it a lot, my question is, should I keep going in the series or stop? I think all the sequels are on Prime lending for Kindle so it won't cost me anything but I also have Rendezvous With Rama waiting and I've heard it's really good (but have read it's not worth reading past it). I've never read Clarke before and I'm enjoying his writing style.

I don't think that the later 2000 series books are all that bad but they're definitely a waste of time compared to Rendezvous or Fountains of Paradise.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

KSR also did 2312 which is more about the solar system in its entirety than Mars.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

Prolonged Priapism posted:

As a side note, I find his unabashed reuse of themes/ideas/places/characters/names/conversations to be interesting and unique among authors. Meditative. He doesn't change things for the sake of changing them, but he doesn't try to fit them together for the sake of, either. There's no shared universe, but they're not totally separate either. It gives his body of work more of a body. It lends to the sense that he's circling around some bedrock of truth, poking at it from different angles. I like it.

What cases did you catch being reused? It's been a while since I read the rest of his stuff, so I only noticed Pauline.