Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

He's written a shitload of other books in that setting, most of which I haven't read, but I would recommend the Daughter of the Empire trilogy (co-written with Janny Wurts).

Yeah the Janny Wurts trilogy owns bones. The Roo and Erik books (Serpentwar trilogy) I thought were pretty enjoyable but those are where I picked up the series in the first place so that probably colors my perceptions, and the Conclave of Shadows series started with a fun take on the Man in the Iron Mask story and finished with a follow up story of the guy that the main character of the first two books spent taking down. I think I read the third to last and second to last books and I got sort of put off them because when the book first came out Feist had accidently swapped out two major major characters (Pug and Magnus, his son) suddenly and unexpectedly and it made things make no sense. He later corrected it but I didn't go back because I thought they were pretty meandering in general and he had killed off a lot of the better characters by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Kraps posted:

How similar is Dodge Tank to Ready Player One? I'm trying to decide between that and The Blade Itself. Wasn't a big fan of RPO.

I'm not sure if anyone answered this seriously since I am behind on this thread about 800 posts, but Dodge Tank is a pretty awful read IMO. It has a neat payoff at the end but its not worth reading the droll grind leading up to it.

The sequels Shard Warrior and Shard Wraith I actually really enjoyed in comparison. All 3 are pretty juvenile but his writing improves in the sequels and they aren't boring.

If I were going to recommend a LitRPG, my favorite series to date is Dominion of Blades which is sort of a comedy horror theme, and it's sequel Hobgoblin Riot which expands the point of view to the other main characters from the first book and has some neat payoffs and reveals.

I also just finished one called World Tree Online by EA Hooper(not the other series called the same thing) about a game with time compression where the AI in charge starts a 30 minute update to increase the time compression ratio that locks players out of logging out for a subjective duration of 360 years. The villain of the book is the last in game moderator left after every other Moderator loses their powers by trying to send a report to the AI. He's a pretty good villain, one of the best I've encountered in LitRPG thus far.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

uberkeyzer posted:

In the intervening 20 pages we decided no one wanted to hear about unreadable WoW fanfic. So thanks but get the gently caress out.

Technically Dodge Tank was unreadable FFXI and FFXIV fanfic, but close enough.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Caverns and Creatures is a cute idea brought low by the fact that every protagonist is a massively unfunny rear end in a top hat who probably deserves to be trapped in a D&D dimension tortured by an insane wizard god.

That's...why we like it?

If you want the cute idea, go back 20 years and read Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

andrew smash posted:

Yeah, it definitely doesn't fall into the same bin as litrpg. Litrpg is novelized MMO sessions down to the xp gain being enumerated. King of Sartar, well, is definitely not that. Dictionary of the Khazars is an apt comparison.

To be fair, not all LitRPG enumerates every single EXP gain, though it's a pretty common trope.

If you really want to encapsulate LitRPG in an idea, it's that the heroes shortcut the process of learning and practicing skills through game or gamelike elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I mean, at least Julian is pretty cool, right?