Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Haerc posted:

Anyone know of books similar to House of Suns? I really enjoyed it as well.

There's obviously Thousandth Night, if you didn't read that before House of Suns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

In my head, Magician is still the best fantasy book I've ever read.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

savinhill posted:

I just finished House of Suns, before that I read Terminal World as I wanted to try out some of Alastair Reynold's non-Revelation Space novels. I liked both of them a lot. What are peoples' opinions of his other non-RS material?

Also, are there any authors that are similar to Reynolds? I really enjoy his style of writing. He's great at establishing some dark, creepy and unsettling atmospheres and situations.

I really enjoyed Blue Remembered Earth. Was nice seeing the trademark Reynolds stuff, only confined to the solar system in the not-that-far distant future. Looking forward to the second, especially since it seems to have some generation ship goodness.

Pushing Ice was the latest book of his I've read. I liked it, even if it's nowhere near as good as you'd think if would be if you read a synopsis. If that makes sense.

I haven't read Terminal World but, from what I gather, it's generally considered his worst by far, so if you liked that, I assume you'll like all his stuff.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking of Reynolds, his new book is out this week. I enjoyed Blue Remembered Earth, but I can't, erm, Remember much of how it ended. Did the grandmother fake her death and instead fly away in the first ever starship? Maybe something about our heroes having the choice of sharing that technology with the world?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I like non-FTL poo poo, but it's not because I dislike FTL-magic. It's because it can involve interesting stuff like generation ships and, to give a specific example, the awesome near-lightspeed chase in Redemption Ark.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Nondescript Van posted:

I was also wondering if anybody has any idea when "On the Steel Breeze" will be released as an ebook.

It already is. Kindle version, anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Are you in the UK? The US store shows it as unavailable for me at least.

Yeah, UK.

Seems really silly that ebooks don't get worldwide releases.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

syphon posted:

I just finished Feist's Magician's End. It is (supposedly) the last Midkemia book he will write, and has a somewhat bittersweet ending (both Pug and Tomas die).

Christ, Pug and Tomas were still alive?.

I too have very fond memories of Magician, but seeing as the last book I read was Talon of the Silver Hawk, I can't see me catching up, somehow.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm reading On the Steel Breeze now, and enjoying it, but man, it is definitely an Alastair Reynolds book, alright. A community on an asteroid flying thorough inter-stellar space, a malevolant AI ghost in the machine, a main character who clones herself so she can explore different parts of the universe then share those memories with her other clones.....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

I thought that wasn't out until this summer?

Edit: yeah amazon says June 3rd

Been out since early autumn in the UK, anyway.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking about the Goodread awards, anything, erm, good in there? I see City of Stairs, which I'm currently enjoying, but there also seems to be some questionable stuff in there as well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Really liked City of Stairs, how's his other work? Specifically, I'm looking at American Elsewhere and The Troupe.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking of which, Radio 4 are currently doing a version of Good Omens

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are you loving serious?

Are we going to be looking at DLC FOR BOOKS NOW?

Edit: Wikipedia lists it as a short story.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 24, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

epub-mobi conversion is as uncomplicated as it gets.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

People have been saying 'the only way to make an adaptation of X Series is as an animation' for everything, for years. Off the top of my head, it's never happend (apart from that Lord of the Rings movie). I don't think they're going to start now.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'd rather just read a book and enjoy it, than see an author photo and have that ruin the experience.

Sometimes it's a good idea to look at the author photo so that you get the reflex of putting the book down, though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of VanderMeer - can anyone suggest any other books about spooky places full of mystery and weird poo poo that the protagonists explore? House of Leaves, Blindsight, STALKER and the Southern Reach books are all the kind of thing I'm talking about here.

Alastair Reynolds' novella Diamond Dogs.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just finished and enjoyed Son of the Morning, but was I the only one who found it contained a lot of jarring tonal shifts? It would be all serious fantasy alternative history one minute and then an Osbert POV chapter would come along that felt like it had been subcontracted out to Terry Pratchett.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

RndmCnflct posted:

Burned through Three-Body Problem in an evening, really good.

Since this seems to be the current hotness in this thread, probably worth mentioning it's going for a measly £1.79 on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do they still get mad if you lie about your region to buy things? Because they won't let me purchase it.

I'm not sure how it works with books to be honest. I have no trouble buying game keys from amazon.com from the UK with a credit card and a random US hotel as my billing address. It might be different if you're using what you're buying on an amazon provided service though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Looking forward to starting the new Alastair Reynolds tonight, so I had a quick scan of his blog. This tickled me:

quote:

Actually, due to one of those inevitable snafus, the wrong version of the flap text ended up on the final copies, mispelling Ndegi's name and mentioning such things as faster than light travel which never had any place in the intended text.

That's like advertising a Cormac Mcarthy book as having speech marks or something.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Having only just bought a Kindle recently - typically how long is it before a new release like that is available on Kindle?

Midnight usually. Hence I'm hoping to get an hour in before bed tonight.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, start with Revelation Space (the book). It's just got a bit of everything Reynolds is known for. If you enjoy it, plough ahead with everything else.

If you don't enjoy it, still read House of Suns.

Fell asleep reading Elmore Leonard last night, so didn't start Poisedon's Wake :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

angel opportunity posted:

The whole new trilogy he's doing - I personally didn't care for it and never went past book one. It's better than the "don't bother reading" stuff, but much weaker than his good books.

The second book contains a load of Reynolds signatures, so you might enjoy it more; (not-really-spoilers): mysterious ancient alien artifacts, approaching-lightspeed warfare in generation ships, malevolent(?) AI ghost in the machine, clones exploring and reporting back....

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

angel opportunity posted:

Maybe i'll try it sometime...

The alien artifacts really annoyed me tbh, because it's become such a cliche to me in sci-fi where some plot-device alien artifact is the key that lets space travel happen. I had the same issue in Rev Space when it was revealed the idea for the conjoiner drive came from the future. I like how Reynolds usually stays within real physics and doesn't have warpgates etc., but when you have to have some deus ex machina answer for humans being able to move through space, it gets kind of old :(

You might dig this; to save time, the generation ships were launched before developing a method to slow down, figuring they'd find a way en-route. So there's this race to come up with the technology before they all overshoot the target and go flying on into inter-stellar space forever.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't remember much about the snake face thing, but weird genetic modification body horror is a big part of the Revelation Space universe (and Al Reynolds books in general), so I certainly didn't mind.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

I've been making the rounds on the Urban Fantasy thread and right now I'm growing restless in the genre. I would really appreciate some really good contemporary cyberpunk. For reference, I'm a huge fan of Daniel O'Malley's "The Rook", American Gods, and the Rivers of London Series. I know they're two disparate genres but if I can get something within the same tone or feel, it'd be really awesome. Any recommendations? Thanks a bunch.

Edit: Sorry, somehow missed out on the important 'cyberpunk' bit.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The Sword of Truth(I think that's right, its the legend of the seeker books) - I know these supposedly aren't too great, I read there's a bit of emo stuff going on with the characters, but if the world/plot are somewhat interesting I wouldn't mind too bad

Forget you've even heard about this series.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Any opinions on Vermillion by Molly Tanzer?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, that's how it popped up on my radar.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ahh Yes posted:

So goons, Reynolds has a new book out called Slow Bullets, and James Corey has a new one out for the Expanse series.

I just put them on my reader so I haven't had a chance to read them yet.

Any good?

Where did you get an electronic copy of Slow Bullets? This release is confusing me. Apparently it's out, but the release date isn't until next week? Reynolds tweeted that yesterday was the publication date, is that different from release date? Amazon.co.uk for example is saying I can have the book delivered tomorrow even though the release date is the 9th June. And there's no kindle version available as far as I can see, even though you seem to be able to pre-order a kindle version directly from the publisher. What's going on?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Huh, maybe a UK kindle version will suddenly appear next Tuesday then. Odd.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

The fact that the universe ending at some point is a huge, mindblowing fact that the characters had to come to terms with. Not the part where it could happen at any time, mind you, they specifically say that isn't what they have a problem with. Just that the universe will end at all. Isn't the heat death of the universe, with effectively the same result as a vacuum collapse as far as leaving a legacy is concerned, accepted as probably inevitable by cosmologists *today*? It seems like Reynolds actually considered that and came up with "Well it's different to actually KNOW it's going to happen," which strikes me as a pretty lame justification. I feel like I'm missing something.

I kinda felt like this too, but yeah, I guess he was going for a complete and utter realisation and understanding of what 'no more universe' means. As you touch on, I think the Terror was also designed from the perspective of the M-Buliders who, by that point, may well have believed they had reached a point where it was feasible for them to live forever. The way Kanu starts to get over it is going back to a more human 'live for the moment' outlook

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

People say it's not needed, but reading the two Clavain short stories as prologues to Redemption Ark makes the whole thing much more epic.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I went into Southern Reach with reviews stating don't expect answers!! echoing in my head, and I was pretty surprised by how much straight up exposition there was in the last book. I thought the way it brought everything together was well done. It even kinda made the second book retroactivelly better.....

XBenedict posted:

It was less of a finale and more of a "I need to finish this, so let's just take the parts that I cut from the first two, then add some random second-person narrative, because I'm bored with this poo poo".

...so I don't really agree with this at all. It felt to me that he knew where everything was going in the books one and two, and exactly how things would end and be tied up in the final volume.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 15, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Basically, if you're into the RS universe, you are going to want to read Chasm City at some point, so you might as well read everything in published order.

Glacial is a direct continuation of Clavain and Co's story from Great Wall, so read that before Redemption Arc. It throws light on a very important character.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Anyone know what's happening with Stiletto, the sequel to The Rook? I could have sworn it was out this week in the UK (it was definitely July) but it now gives a release of July 2nd 2020 (!), and the only pther dates I can find are January 2016, although that seems to be for the US.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Quick Aurora question: when they're setting up the colony, and the ship mentions days, is that Earth days or Aurora days? Is a day on Aurora always referred to as daymonth?

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This is quite the long, boring epilogue Aurora has....