Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

dennyk posted:

Those won't last me very long, though. So, while I'm waiting for a bunch of these folks to finish their next installments, what else is good in the urban fantasy world (that isn't a thinly disguised romance or some teenager sparkly vampire bullshit)?

London Falling by Paul Cornell - Cop squad that deals with magic stuff.

The October Daye series by Seanan McGuire - Changeling knight for faire royalty and fights other faire creatures. Some people don't really like the first few, but I think it gets really good after that.

Blood Books by Tanya Huff - Ex-cop turned PI meets a vampire, fights supernatural creatures. If you like these, there's another series of 3 books featuring one of the side characters and the vamp.

Also if you like Huff's stuff, she's also got a couple more urban fantasy series that are more humorous in tone - Keeper Chronicles and Gale Women.

There's also a prequel to the Twenty Palaces series called Twenty Palaces.

If you like Patricia Briggs, you might like the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. I've only read one of the books (not a fan of werewolves), but I remember her writing being pretty decent and I quite enjoyed the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mania
Sep 9, 2004
No one deserved the viciousness of Requires Hate/ Winterfox / Benjanun Sriduangkaew.

She was a nasty person a decade ago when on livejournal and she's even worse today.

As Required Hate, her harassment drove one author to give up writing due to fear of such attacks and another author attempted suicide. Nick Mamatas, being the jackass he is, mocked that author's suicide attempt.

From what I've heard, Benjanun Sriduangkaew has been making nice to the pro sf community, including authors that she's attacked on the Requires Hate blog, which is hysterical, since as RH, she was all about being open and honest. She's since deleted her Requires Only Hate blog, probably to cover her rear end. She did the same with livejournal when she first started blogging as Requires Hate, so that there wasn't any proof that she was the one abusing people.

Apparently as Benjanun Sriduangkaew, she's been contacting book review blogs and asking them not review certain authors books because they were racist to her.

And if you look at the authors she attacked as Winterfox and Requires Hate, a lot of them are women, non-white or both.

Mamatas probably shouldn't have revealed her name, he claims he did for her safety but it was probably just publicity for his book. But whatever, I'm just glad I know, 'cause I probably would have picked up her book otherwise.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

neongrey posted:

No one here is doing anything of the sort, as far as I am aware. She is getting stalked over this, however, and my understanding of the situation is
somewhat other than "she's a jerk who deserves everything that's coming to her".

I am waiting to see what sort of amends she makes; I believe she intends to do so in the near future, but that she does not feel it is safe this second to do it.

e: I mean, I do absolutely understanding people who find this sufficient reason to not support her writing. Like that is a legit conclusion to arrive at, absolutely. I haven't decided yet; I just do think it is important to say that the poo poo she is getting from other corners is in no way justified by her behaviour.

Is she waiting so it'll be safe for her career before she'll apologise? Because she sure as poo poo hasn't expressed much remorse for her behaviour before.

You're following her twitter I'm guessing? I've heard that she's getting stalked, but by who exactly? The people she was once nasty to? Maybe she shouldn't have being a toxic bully who attacked people in the same field that she's trying to break into now.

I've heard about the various poo poo she's done over the years and I have no sympathy whatsoever. Everything that's happening to her now, like people trying to 'ruin' her career, she did it to herself with her past behaviour.

If the sff community wants to open their arms to accept a vile bully who has an history of attacking both sff authors and fans and who has shown absolutely no signs of acknowledging her past misdeeds or of stopping, well go for it. Just don't be surprised, when she starts turning on her current allies down the road.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

General Battuta posted:

My understanding is she was just an angry young person with a really angry review blog - she didn't have any peers, no professional identity, it wasn't a cover for anything or a way to launch secret attacks. She grew up, wanted to move on, and got involved in writing.

Ha, she's been a angry young person for a decade now, being a vicious rear end in a top hat to authors and people who like different things from her.

She was still blogging as Requires Hate while Benjanun Sriduangkaew was playing nice to the authors she had previously attacked as RH. And before she was outed, she was encouraging her peers to accuse the people linking the Benjanun Sriduangkaew and Requires Hate identities together as racists.

But nah let's make excuses, after all she was only a young person when she did these things.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

General Battuta posted:

This sounds like a pretty ugly situation all around! I regret commenting.

Sorry if it came off like I was accusing you of making excuses for her. Not many people know of her long and nasty online history and she and her allies are trying their best to downplay her shitiness.

Jedit posted:

Nobody is an angry young person for a decade. She's a vicious rear end in a top hat who also failed to grow up.

I was kinda roundaboutly trying to make the same point. There have been people making excuses for her by saying she was young when she was on LJ/blogging as Requires Hate. But like I said, she's been like this for a decade (and gotten worse over the years), so even if she was young when she started, she's definitely old enough now to know she's wrong.

And anyway, she hasn't changed one bit, despite what she claims in her apologies. Elizabeth Bear commented on it:

Elizabeth Bear posted:

I mean no harm to Bee/RH, but I do not believe her apologies are authentic. There's been no sign of any change in her behavior--reports of ongoing and *current* harassment and bullying, mostly directed toward women and poc, are hard to ignore--and several women of color personally known to me as friends and colleagues have confirmed in private communication that there's been no recent change in her behavior except publicly.