Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Whoever said the expanse was based on a gurps tabletop game was 100% right and I'm amazed it never occurred to me before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

jit bull transpile posted:

I like the expanse TV show. The ships look cool and Chrisjen Avaserala is my space mom. Also gormless faces abound.

The doughy dude with the spy eye in the first season was pretty great

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I finally got around to starting season 2 of the expanse; it's good but does the plot with the annoying mars marine sergeant ever stop? Christ it's bad.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That's good because her current arc of complaining about not being allowed to murder civilians to her commanding officer and beating up her subordinate for being an immigrant is getting a little stale

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Oh yeah, agreed. Once Frank Herbert wrapped up the "thousands of years of guided evolution to ensure humanity will blossom as an interstellar species" arc, he turned to his second love, "sex ninjas."

Heretics owns though

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I loved neuromancer but I disagree that Gibson peaked there. If you haven't you should really read the Peripheral.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
gibson and KSR are in my opinion the best living english language SF authors. RIP, Iain Banks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i won't dispute that neuromancer is certainly his most stylish book but in terms of the actual craft of his writing he is worlds better now

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Really cool that you posted from 20 pages behind to blather about that stupid rear end garbage

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Thranguy posted:

It's all setting stuff, presented as in world scholarship,with no game rules, so vaguely in the same kind of place as Dictionary of the Khazars.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't fall into the same bin as litrpg. Litrpg is novelized MMO sessions down to the xp gain being enumerated. King of Sartar, well, is definitely not that. Dictionary of the Khazars is an apt comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Victorkm posted:

To be fair, not all LitRPG enumerates every single EXP gain, though it's a pretty common trope.

If you really want to encapsulate LitRPG in an idea, it's that the heroes shortcut the process of learning and practicing skills through game or gamelike elements.

Shut the gently caress up nerd

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)