Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

GuestBob posted:

They move in small herds, led by an alpha female with a megaphone who shouts about how much concrete was used to build the visitor center.

Oh they are SO adorable :allears:

Do they all wear those cute little caps too? Do they pappa Bob, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Arglebargle III posted:

Seeing as there's a Taobao recommendation in the OP and I am still an idiot tourist despite living in this country 2 years, is there any way we could get a guide on how to register an account on Taobao/Alipay? When I've tried it seems that not having a Chinese ID number is an impassible barrier to using Taobao.
I know you posted this a few weeks ago, but I just saw this today, the Taobao Quickstart Guide

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Yeah, Guizhou is pretty warm in Winter (compared to other places). Yangshuo is awful though I would second the idea that you need to get out of there pretty swiftly if you decide to go to that area.

Seconding not going to Guizhou for any time longer than a week or so. Yunnan, Guangzhou and even Chongqing and Chengdu don't get near what I would consider cold in the winter. You could travel around Sichuan which is legitimately pretty beautiful and unpolluted once you get away from the cities. Unfortunately you start getting up to like 3,500m above sea level or higher and then it's probably gonna get cold.

It doesn't rain (or snow) for pretty much the entire winter, though.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
GuestBob for president 2016.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

goldboilermark posted:

You know I don't consider these posts to be in any way sarcastic, right?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not being sarcastic. You are responsible for a few coffee stains by my chair at work.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What kind of coffee?? Good brewed coffee or Nescafe 特别 ~为农民~ Special Deluxe VIP Blend

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you don't like the cold, I would avoid China during the winter. Even here in the South Guangdong and Guangxi the weather is horrible. It's not biting cold like the north but the high humidity is miserable. Clothes won't dry on their own and dew/mould just festers every where :gross: The domestic beach destination San Ya doesn't warm up at all and is bad as well :smith:

Oh and the AQI just goes up through the roof :negative:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Also there's no heating or insulation and most of the windows don't really close properly in the south. So even though it only gets down to about 10 degrees C, it will be 10 degrees inside your office and your apartment as well. My first winter in Shenzhen was the coldest winter I've ever experienced, and I'm from Maine.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

goldboilermark posted:

I'm not being sarcastic. You are responsible for a few coffee stains by my chair at work.

Oh jeez just gently caress him already the sexual tension is way too loving thick. I can barely breathe in this thread.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

I can barely breathe in this thread.

Sorry bro', when I fell out the faggottree I hit every branch on the way down. I don't even notice it anymore.

On an unrelated note, a little ayi told me that the criminal record checks for new hires are going to be rolled out in one form or another nationwide sooner rather than later. Even in the 'Nan.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely have a thing for GuestBob. I mean GuestBob is in my t9 on my mobile right now. Lebron is as well. GuestBob is the Lebron of my NBA.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

goldboilermark posted:

The last King of Scotland!

I've heard Hainan isn't too bad in the winter. I had some coworkers spend a month there and they said it was nice. Just don't go during the national holidays I guess.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

ZombieParts posted:

Did they only give you a 6 month contract last time? I could have sworn you and I went to work at roughly the same time in March/April.

Yeah but my other co-workers visas were going to expire at the end of June. I was roped into the process to one shot everything. As long as your paper work is in order, you'll be fine!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Posting to say that Xishuangbanna is awesome and worth visiting. Make sure you see the botanical gardens.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

goldboilermark posted:

Go to Xingping and Yangshuo. The weather won't be too awful, you can fly into Guilin and head straight to Yangshuo for a few days before heading further away from the masses and end up in Xingping (which is the exact location of the back of the 20) and there's some small little sleepy mountain town there that's tiny and there are beautiful karsts everywhere and you can hike them and practice your Chinese at all the local places.

That sounds like a pretty good plan - I'll definitely look into heading there. The mountains and karsts especially sound like they'd be really fun to check out. Is it pretty easy to get around out there by bus/taxis, or would that be a trip where hiring a car/driver would be the better option, do you think?

caberham posted:

If you don't like the cold, I would avoid China during the winter. Even here in the South Guangdong and Guangxi the weather is horrible. It's not biting cold like the north but the high humidity is miserable. Clothes won't dry on their own and dew/mould just festers every where :gross: The domestic beach destination San Ya doesn't warm up at all and is bad as well :smith:

Oh and the AQI just goes up through the roof :negative:

I think I can deal with the cold - I just wanted to avoid going somewhere like Harbin where I would end up falling into a frozen lake and dying or that sort of thing. I imagine the AQI probably gets better as you get away from the big cities and into less urban areas, right?

GuestBob posted:

Yeah, Guizhou is pretty warm in Winter (compared to other places). Yangshuo is awful though I would second the idea that you need to get out of there pretty swiftly if you decide to go to that area.

Xinxuananannabannaghghle in Southern Yunnan is pretty cool, there's a French dude there who makes his own sausages from wild pigs and you can get tasty Thai food too.

I'll definitely take a look at going to Xishuangbanna - are there any places in particular that people would recommend visiting? I wouldn't really know where to start in that area. And would a week there, and a week in Guilin be enough, or would I want to go for one or the other?

One other general question, as I've never been to the south of China before - do most people still speak pretty standard mandarin there? I've spent most of my time in China up north in Tianjin/Beijing, so I'm used to the way northerners speak with all the "arrrrrr" and that sort of thing. Especially down in Xishuangbanna - will it be easy to communicate in Beijing-style mandarin with people there?

edit: VVVV - I think I would break my old Chinese teacher's heart if I ever did that. One of his favorite pastimes in class included heaping scorn upon people who did not speak northern-style Mandarin

Kikuchiyo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 9, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The ideal option is to shed yourself of ugly mandarin and adopt a nice southern accent.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MeramJert posted:

The ideal option is to shed yourself of ugly mandarin and adopt a nice southern accent.

In Yunnan they speak pretty good Mandarin.

No where else south of Tianjin, though. And Tianjin is like barely passable.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Kikuchiyo posted:

I think I can deal with the cold - I just wanted to avoid going somewhere like Harbin where I would end up falling into a frozen lake and dying or that sort of thing. I imagine the AQI probably gets better as you get away from the big cities and into less urban areas, right?

I went to the Ice Festival in Harbin a few years back, that was actually pretty awesome. Otherwise it's bitterly cold there in January/February. So maybe it's only worth a weekend trip.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The mountains in Guilin/Yangshuo are nice. The area is really small and besides the mountains, you can ride a bike along the rivers and take a raft down, or take a bus to the longji rice terraces. Since it's winter time, the terraces are barren :smith:

YangShuo Black and White 2 by caberham, on Flickr

The food is amazing too, spring for the guilin vermicilli 桂林米粉 (gui lin mifen).

Guilin is over developed mass tourism and all the rock caverns are super cheesy in weird coloured lights. Yangshuo is like the relax foreigner hangout town but is rapidly changing. Xingping is where you can take a picture of the 20 RMB note. But that was 3 years ago, and in China that means a long long time. Nowadays everything might be over developed and if you want a more relaxing tour, try going to the smaller towns out of Yang Shuo. You can walk around all the towns by foot easily. Or rent a bike. It's really really small. Getting to the other towns, just take a public bus. The only hassle is going there from the airport.

I also went to a forest called Stone forest (石頭森林) shitou senlin.

YangShuo Black and White 6 by caberham, on Flickr

It's supposedly old ruins of a fort with a few rock foundations. The sight itself was not really interesting but getting there was fun. Riding behind a motorcycle to some old village, and having a village meal (total rip off). And being lead by an 80 year man around and seeing the quiet country side of Guangxi.

YangShuo Black and White 7 by caberham, on Flickr

I had a blast, but go during Spring or summer. Winter is too cold, wet and uninsulated. If you actually go north you can get indoor heat! Harbin ice festival would be my place, it's fun to see locals dressed half as much as the tourists. My ideal location would be Thailand during winter, the weather is just perfect without being too hot

:siren:365 days, where in China is the best place to go?:siren:

Caberham's Sky Palace of goondom.

Tone mapped of my window by caberham, on Flickr

Winter here is time for HK style BBQ

Tai Po BBQ (9 of 10) by caberham, on Flickr

MeramJert posted:

Can you speak Cantonese yet? Fai D La (that means hurry up).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

No I haven't really worked on my Cantonese in a long, long time. I really should start studying it again...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
China thread, I have a China question. I sometimes go to very authentic Chinese restaurants here that are so authentic that I have no idea what my Chinese friends are ordering, let alone what specific type of cuisine the place is - I just say, "IS IT SICHUAN?" and they say, "No." and I sigh.

Recently, we were at one of these places run by really nice a Taiwanese immigrant and once the table and he got into Mandarin I was totally lost, but out came something I can only describe as a sandwich wrap. I recognize that sandwich wrap is unlikely to be a loanword in English, so I'm wondering if, by that kooky description, someone can identify it? Thing was excellent.

Essentially, it seemed like a fairly sturdy flour crepe (I'm trying not to say tortilla here, okay), with thin slices of beef wrapped inside along with maybe strips of white onion and something like coriander. Oh and it was served with some kind of dipping sauce, I think. Either that or the dipping sauce was for something else and I ate it anyway, like a Thai person putting ketchup on all Western food or my dad with soy sauce.

Does this ring a bell?

SANDWICH WRAP

\/\/\/ I don't know what LAN is, heh. I think I may have found the thing working through your search results. In English it seems to be called a "Shandong Beef Roll" which is probably at least one guy's name for his penis. Anyone know the approximate transliteration of this name? Because if I go into a Chinese restaurant in Thailand and order a "Shandong Beef Roll" it's going to end with me using Thai loanwords like "sanwit" and gesticulating a lot.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 10, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You mean beef dip right? :iaam: But there's a LAN thread, you might want to check it out.

pentyne posted:

That guy's got 27 probations and 3 bans almost all for similar histrionics in D&D threads. Discussion isn't his priority but just to come in and cast everyone as vehement racists for discussing cultural differences.

whoa :aaa: Please don't get banned, SE asian travel thread is informative!

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 10, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

caberham posted:

whoa :aaa: Please don't get banned, SE asian travel thread is informative!
Eh, I shouldn't have pointed it out. I mean in Asia no one would blink twice at it, and of course he's just concern trolling, but I should've remembered that for Americans everything is either RAHOWA or SJW.

I started to point out to him that a few years ago the NTSB cited Americans being huge fatasses as the cause of a crash that resulted in the FAA changing the weight estimates for American passengers, but I figured I'd drop it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Eh, I shouldn't have pointed it out. I mean in Asia no one would blink twice at it, and of course he's just concern trolling, but I should've remembered that for Americans everything is either RAHOWA or SJW.

I started to point out to him that a few years ago the NTSB cited Americans being huge fatasses as the cause of a crash that resulted in the FAA changing the weight estimates for American passengers, but I figured I'd drop it.

I don't know what any of these acronyms mean.

e:

Did it look like these? This is a Taiwanese style "Dan Bing" 蛋饼. It's usually wrapped around meat and served with a dipping sauce. Mainland 蛋饼 is totally different.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 10, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Magna Kaser posted:

If you can tell me the transliterated word for a Shandong Beef Roll, I'll give you the secret of space.

EDIT:

Magna Kaser posted:

e:

Did it look like these? This is a Taiwanese style "Dan Bing" 蛋饼. It's usually wrapped around meat and served with a dipping sauce. Mainland 蛋饼 is totally different.
That looks good actually, but what I've had a couple of times is definitely this:

I love food photos where you can see the other person taking a food photo in the food photo. It makes the circle of life complete.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 10, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I wish there were more taiwanese food in Beijing. :(

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
Did you perhaps eat the perennial Taiwanese favorite...the GUA BAO?!

http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E5%89%B2%E5%8C%85

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Barto posted:

Did you perhaps eat the perennial Taiwanese favorite...the GUA BAO?!

http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E5%89%B2%E5%8C%85

This poo poo is all over Sichuan. NEXT

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's almost as if the SHANDONG BEEF ROLL isn't available in China. I'll have to go get the drat name for all you Chinaboos!

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

ReindeerF posted:

It's almost as if the SHANDONG BEEF ROLL isn't available in China. I'll have to go get the drat name for all you Chinaboos!

牛肉卷饼?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

牛肉卷饼?

http://dezhou.xinxiyi.com/4133408.html

Looks tasty.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Excellent! So, to round this all out, is there a transliteration that I can pronounce being uneducated in the deciphering of hieroglyphs? It would be much appreciated :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
PRO PRC this is the regular China thread. If you type Chinese, do add the pinyin or translation, not everyone understands Chinese :ohdear:

ReindeerF posted:

SHANDONG BEEF ROLL :words:

Oh, I was initially confused by what you were asking. Sorry, thought you were mad at Thai's again or something. Rolled Beef is 牛肉捲餅 ,niu rou juan bing, shandong beef roll is 山東捲餅, shan dong niu rou juan bing.

quote:

I don't know what LAN is, heh.

It's in the OP, basically, a place for circle jerk casual posting - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549109

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Magna Kaser posted:

e:

Actually they are often depending on which cart you happen to go to - the shandong ones have a thin crepe like exterior and most of the others have a thicker eggy Swedish pancake like shell.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kikuchiyo posted:

One other general question, as I've never been to the south of China before - do most people still speak pretty standard mandarin there? I've spent most of my time in China up north in Tianjin/Beijing, so I'm used to the way northerners speak with all the "arrrrrr" and that sort of thing. Especially down in Xishuangbanna - will it be easy to communicate in Beijing-style mandarin with people there?

edit: VVVV - I think I would break my old Chinese teacher's heart if I ever did that. One of his favorite pastimes in class included heaping scorn upon people who did not speak northern-style Mandarin

Being in a similar boat, I found that I could usually make myself understood when speaking putonghua, and would even get comments like "your Mandarin is better than mine" from the locals.

EDIT: Reindeer is a great poster, don't bring irrelevant bullshit into this thread please.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 12, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Longanimitas posted:

Being in a similar boat, I found that I could usually make myself understood when speaking putonghua, and would even get comments like "your Mandarin is better than mine" from the locals.

People will tell you that this is flattering nonsense but sometimes when you're told "nlei di putonghua bi ngo men suo di haohao." you can't really disagree.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
WTF is that?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

WTF is that?

Someone speaking really poor putonghua apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU