Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Oh man, if Mongolia wants a boom in tourism they need to dye a bunch of horses like My Little Ponies, and build an Equestria resort.

We definitely need more of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4H8_4EhKRU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Ghengis Khan was the original brony.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

GuestBob posted:

I just have no idea why you'd Mongolia over Vietnam. I mean, I could play Devil's advocate and find some pretty plausible excuses, but endless steppe, flies and drunken poverty don't exactly sound like a holiday to me and I am pretty sure the Mongolia has all of those.

Serious question, do you like horses?

I really don't like paying 2x the price I saw before I found out my vacation days for tickets to Vietnam. I've seen pretty pictures of Mongolia and I'm partially from the Great Plains in the states. I miss open space and Mongolia seems like a place that has to have something interesting, at least in my head. Also, maybe a job search there? I also really want to ride horses again, I know this isn't likely, but at least I'd be Big Sky and horse adjacent.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

DontAskKant posted:

...horse adjacent.

This is legal in Mongolia by the way.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DontAskKant posted:

Who has been to Mongolia, I'm looking at a trip Aug. 10-18. Too long? What's the main draw? Expensive? I figure if prices for Vietnam have risen to the price of Mongolia, I might as well go there.

I'll do a trip report for Mongolia at some point. I flew into Ulaanbaatar (sp?) and spent five days there. It was kind of crazy. I had a friend there that took me on a few trips into the countryside but the hostel I stayed at also offered those trips.

It's a pain in the rear end to get out to the countryside if you don't know anyone, driving is worse than in China so you don't want to rent a car, you'll have to figure out a way to get out there but it can get done. If you're a Great Plains kinda guy you'll probably despise UB (though the food was amazing) and love the areas away from the city.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I can add a bit of info to that too, I went to Mongolia over land (though it was like 6 years ago).

Mongolia is awesome.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

It seems the thing to do is hire a driver or rent a motorcycle. I'm too cheap for a driver, don't know anyone there, and I don't know how to ride a motorcycle and riding and camping alone in the countryside doesn't sound wise.

I live in Seoul so Ulaanbataar might not be too bad, but I don't want to spend 9 days there.

Might save it for a trip with a buddy next year.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

DontAskKant posted:

It seems the thing to do is hire a driver or rent a motorcycle. I'm too cheap for a driver, don't know anyone there, and I don't know how to ride a motorcycle and riding and camping alone in the countryside doesn't sound wise.

Watch Long Way Round with Ewen McGregor and you will realise the folly in that plan.

Honestly watching that gave me all the Mongolia I ever want and I really love Central Asia.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DontAskKant posted:

I live in Seoul so Ulaanbataar might not be too bad

I had rather semi-serious culture shock going to Mongolia and I live in China so I imagine Seoul might be a little worse. Seoul is really nice dude. On my way from the airport we witnessed two accidents, the girl who picked me up got in an accident going to the airport to get me and I almost got hit by a car the second time I crossed the road downtown. It's a hell of a place to visit but it's crazy as hell.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Oh I meant the claim that if I was a Plains man I might find the city to be too much. But crazy dirty city with lots of people isn't a problem. Don't doubt the driving will terrify me.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I drove all over western Mongolia.

UB is a dirty, dangerous, boring shithole, and it's not even cheap. If you like getting in drunken brawls with guys built like powerlifters, then go right ahead.

You'd have to drive nonstop several days to get to the gorgeous areas in the West, and you absolutely should not do it alone nor without someone qualified. I met some guys from UB in a nomad camp who were recovering after breaking down and getting stranded in the desert for a few days before someone came along and found them. That said, if you have the time and money to get out to the Altai region, then do it, because it's like visiting another planet.

Also it's below freezing like 9 months of the year. And whoever mentioned swarms of flies was not exaggerating.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Smeef posted:

I drove all over western Mongolia.

UB is a dirty, dangerous, boring shithole, and it's not even cheap. If you like getting in drunken brawls with guys built like powerlifters, then go right ahead.

You'd have to drive nonstop several days to get to the gorgeous areas in the West, and you absolutely should not do it alone nor without someone qualified. I met some guys from UB in a nomad camp who were recovering after breaking down and getting stranded in the desert for a few days before someone came along and found them. That said, if you have the time and money to get out to the Altai region, then do it, because it's like visiting another planet.

Also it's below freezing like 9 months of the year. And whoever mentioned swarms of flies was not exaggerating.

This is my trip report :tipshat:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

I live in Seoul so Ulaanbataar might not be too bad, but I don't want to spend 9 days there.

Might save it for a trip with a buddy next year.
I've met a few people over the years who did that whole trekking thing where you go with some Mongolians on horseback and sleep in tents. The universal thing I've taken away from these stories is that everyone gets really sick of fried dough, sleeping in yurts, yak butter and fermented mare's milk by the end of the trip.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Plus once you get to Vietnam, it's about the cheapest place in the world to travel if that's a factor.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Smeef posted:

Plus once you get to Vietnam, it's about the cheapest place in the world to travel if that's a factor.

I'm in Vietnam right now and I can confirm it is cheap.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Smeef posted:

I went all over Mongolia on a horse trek thing. We got really drunk on that horse milk stuff and a swedish girl told us all about her vampire fetish.

I'd give the trip 3 AAAAA ratings out of 5.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I'll save Mongolia for when I have more than 9 days of vacation and I can dragoon my Russian American friend into coming. I'd go to Yunnan if I already had a china visa and had a Chinese speaker with me. I suppose there's no getting around $700-800 for Vietnam this season. Even Malaysia is 700.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No you can't go with a Russian-American because they will blow up your boston marathon. Russian-America is already not safe. We country still good.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Arglebargle III posted:

No you can't go with a Russian-American because they will blow up your boston marathon. Russian-America is already not safe. We country still good.

What the gently caress?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
In Russia-America, marathon blow up you!

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"

bad day posted:

In Russia-America, marathon blow up you!

People died

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

RIP Treyvon.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

Seriously, this isn't funny. My grandfather died in WW2 at a concentration camp

he fell off the guard tower

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

[edit]

Nope, I posted a dumb thing here.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 20, 2013

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
So what are they saying about the Beijing airport bombing?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Worst Muslim posted:

Seriously, this isn't funny. My grandfather died in WW2 at a concentration camp

he fell off the guard tower

Was the guard tower made out of dildos? Just trying out some Twitter material here, folks.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It's being reported as a bad thing but no breaking news in TV like you'd see in the USA. All the fengqing are already posting on CNN "a bunch of firecrackers went off, no big deal". I guess it happened in Terminal 3, and given the way things work there it's not really possible to do a lot of damage. Lots of big, open spaces, plexiglass and steel.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

bad day posted:

It's being reported as a bad thing but no breaking news in TV like you'd see in the USA. All the fengqing are already posting on CNN "a bunch of firecrackers went off, no big deal". I guess it happened in Terminal 3, and given the way things work there it's not really possible to do a lot of damage. Lots of big, open spaces, plexiglass and steel.

Yeah, I'm in the US at the moment and watching the news of it. I'm wondering how this will change airport security when I get back in August.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

T3 is full of laowai anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Worst Muslim posted:

What the gently caress?

俄美国已经不安全了,我国还好。

I was trying to parody an wumao but apparently I'm psychic or something because CHINA IS ALREADY NOT SAFE LE!!!

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

JimBobDole posted:

Yeah, I'm in the US at the moment and watching the news of it. I'm wondering how this will change airport security when I get back in August.

If they did it in Terminal 2, I think it's actually possible to reach a relatively crowded enclosed space (Delta ticket counter, gently caress that whole airline) before going through security, but Terminal 3 is like a football field - there's nothing there for explosive force to impact, and everything's so spread out that even on a busy day people do not congregate in large groups.

Anyway it's nice to see that we're not getting 24-hour news coverage of the incident over here. That's the one thing I love about propagandist state media. Television is boring and all bad news is downplayed rather than blown up for ratings. There's more on the news about the Treyvon Martin protests than the Beijing bombing today.

edit: and it's interesting how much coverage they are giving to Treyvon Martin when they could be covering this eerily similar watermelon vendor beaten to death by chengguan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/world/asia/death-in-china-stirs-anger-over-urban-rule-enforcers.html?hp

edit2: NY Times article about ZZ nightclubs. Henan goons take note. We should go to this club.

NYTimes.com posted:

ZHENGZHOU, China — The hottest nightclub in this factory town is a neon-encrusted dive down the road from the industrial park where iPhones are made 24 hours a day. Tucked behind an open construction site, Through the Summer, as the nightspot is known, had it all on a recent Saturday night — plastic whistles, fruit plates, a toddler with a mohawk, counterfeit light sabers and a bawdy comedian who imbibed beer through his nose.

Thousands of young Chinese come to the city of Zhengzhou to work in electronics factories. To escape the monotony of the assembly line, many take up roller skating as a hobby, like at the outdoor roller rink. The Free Rollers club. In-line and roller skating has developed something of a cult following among the Foxconn strivers.

Liang Yulong, 19, who tests iPhone motherboards at the Foxconn Zhengzhou Technology Park, arrived at the club with a single goal in mind: to obliterate his dreary daytime reality on the spring-loaded dance floor. “Dancing lets me vent my anger and stress,” he said, cigarette in hand. “When I’m here, I forget everything else.”

Here on the gritty outskirts of Zhengzhou, the capital of central Henan Province, the nocturnal menagerie reveals a little-explored aspect of the global supply chain, the off-hour escapes that give the masses of workers the motivation to return to the assembly line.

The hands that make the world’s electronics belong almost entirely to young people with dreams of their own, and a lifetime of contented industrial drudgery is not among them. Their precious time off is a rare chance to enjoy the present as they strive for a better future.

“Everyone gets psyched for the weekend,” said Bai Sihai, 24, as he navigated open potholes on the way back to his dorm after work one afternoon. His plan? A video-game binge session at an Internet cafe followed by a long-distance phone call to his girlfriend.

The captains of industry are beginning to see the merits of off-hours leisure. In recent years, a wave of riots and suicides in Henan Province have drawn attention to working conditions. In April and May, two workers and a prospective employee jumped to their deaths from dormitories that cater to workers at the Zhengzhou plant, which is owned by Foxconn, the Taiwan-based manufacturing giant that produces electronics for Apple, Microsoft and other companies. Foxconn maintains that the suicides were unconnected to work at the factory. Also in May, a worker committed suicide at a Samsung plant in the southern province of Guangdong, where labor rights organizations had documented a string of violations like forced overtime and under-age workers.

The industry has responded with carrots and sticks to save both the lives of their workers and their own corporate reputations. Under pressure, Foxconn has raised wages and cut overtime hours. At the Shanghai plant run by Quanta, which makes hardware for companies including Apple, Toshiba and Asus, workers can pay for yoga and tae kwon do classes.

After the latest suicides at the Zhengzhou dormitories, the company instituted “silent mode,” which banned all talk about nonwork tasks on the factory floor. Although Foxconn later announced that it had rescinded the policy after a public outcry, workers say it remains in effect.

In the high-tech Olympus of Silicon Valley, employees in ergonomically luxuriant offices can get subsidized massages and haircuts, scale rock-climbing walls, play foosball, meditate and do Pilates — all in the name of promoting creative innovation.

The work environment is considerably more bare-bones here. Unlike Apple’s modernistic new campus in Cupertino, Calif., which will be surrounded by apricot trees, the Zhengzhou factory has all the charm of a penal colony. Employees, who must wear matching uniforms, say supervisors routinely curse and yell. In the residential compounds, rows of brick dormitories house up to eight workers in rooms filled with metal bunk beds, a combination shower-toilet, and not much else.

Perhaps that is why the world beyond the factory gates resembles a gigantic street fair. As dusk fell one night recently in Zhengzhou, Mandarin pop music blared from hair salons and couples strolled past stalls selling pirated DVDs, sliced watermelon and roses covered in silver glitter. A flatbed truck piled high with oversize stuffed animals drew a mob of young women like sharks to blood. “I want the green teddy bear,” cooed a teenage girl to her boyfriend, who dutifully handed over 10 renminbi, or $1.60.

Down the block, a construction site played host to a parade of distractions, including a tattoo parlor set up in the back of a van, arcade games with metal claws that featured a pack of cigarettes as the big prize, and a beer garden of sorts, where hordes of young factory workers chugged watery beer and chain-smoked over plates of sliced pig knuckles.

At some point, a troupe of dolled-up singers was supposed to take the nearby stage, though Luo Haojie, 20, and his friends were finding ample amusement in their shot glasses. In May, Mr. Luo quit his factory job making iPhone 5 parts, which earned him about $295 a month, including overtime. “Our supervisors are vicious,” and the cafeteria food is terrible, he said, to a round of applause from his drinking buddies.

Eventually he will need to find another job, but for now he is content to bask in the joys of youth, which means meeting girls and getting drunk with his former co-workers. “I’m here for my bros,” he said. “Without them I’d be miserable.”

Summer is the low season in China’s factory towns, so many workers get a day off on weekends, sometimes even two. There are numerous colorful characters on hand to keep them entertained. One evening, a band of itinerant performers dressed like Buddhist monks had set up shop across from a KFC-inspired eatery confusingly named Donut. Garbed in silken yellow robes, the “celebrity acrobatic snake-training talent team” worked the crowd of bored onlookers by whipping balloons and hawking blessed ornaments for rear-view mirrors. A monk with an earring blew fireballs.

“The circus that came around a few months ago was better,” said Li Yu, 19. “They had real lions and tigers.”

Those looking for more athletic diversions can usually be found at the local roller rink.

In the glow of swirling rainbow lights one Saturday, Zhou Pengzheng, 20, another iPhone 5 motherboard tester, narrowly avoided several neophytes as he spun to a halt on a pair of $160 in-line skates, which cost him roughly a third of his monthly salary. “It feels like I’m flying,” he said, before zooming once more into the throng of careening youths on tiny wheels.

In-line and roller skating has developed something of a cult following among the Foxconn strivers. A half dozen teams with names like Rainbow, F-2 and Shadow gather for weekly group skating sessions across the city.

Fang Xuema, 17, learned to skate not long after coming to work at Foxconn last spring and soon joined Team Shadow, which has around 100 members. The rink has since become her second home. A high school dropout, she quit the factory in May, because her age prohibited her from working lucrative overtime hours. “I used to come to the rink twice a week, but now I’m here every night,” said Ms. Fang, in a black miniskirt and matching nail polish.

At 11 p.m., the street performers had vanished and the love hotels were getting busy. After a long day of making iPhones, Wang Puyan, 20, and his girlfriend were heading toward their rented apartment off campus, since factory dormitories are separated by gender.

A romantic adventure was not in the cards, however. “We see each other every day at work,” he said. “Why would we go on a date?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/world/asia/the-demanding-off-hour-escapes-of-chinas-high-tech-workers.html

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 21, 2013

pyr0maniac
Apr 23, 2004
$3 wh0re
I've got to get a new 6 month F visa for study (Mandarin at a government owned university) as I am doing another semester of study.

I see that the rules have now changed, but the changes have not been fully implemented. I would like to get another 6 months visa for study, anyway.What do I need to do for that now? I'll probably apply this month or sometime next month, but it needs to be sorted out by September.

If I need to leave the mainland I think that I can always apply in Hong Kong, as I have a Hong Kong ID. But I'm not sure if I should try to ask the school to supply the required documents ASAP or if at this point it makes no difference as the changes have already been implemented.

Thanks

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

ZHENGZHOU, China — The hottest nightclub in this factory town is a neon-encrusted dive down the road from the industrial park where iPhones are made 24 hours a day. Tucked behind an open construction site, Through the Summer, as the nightspot is known, had it all on a recent Saturday night — plastic whistles, fruit plates, a toddler with a mohawk, counterfeit light sabers and a bawdy comedian who imbibed beer through his nose.

What the gently caress? This sounds like one of those Stephan sketches on SNL.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Singapore and Hongkong have Cyberpunk, Henan has Cybergrunge.

Like Mad Max meets Barbarella meets Angela's Ashes, Henan is some kind of terrible impoverished B list version of hyper modernity.

"An old lady is taking a poo poo in the street. And You're not helping Leon. Why aren't you helping?"

"And there at the breakfast table was this laowai munching away at jiaziwao and lomticks of huimian, and lovely chuariwegs."

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 21, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

pyr0maniac posted:

I've got to get a new 6 month F visa for study (Mandarin at a government owned university) as I am doing another semester of study.

I see that the rules have now changed, but the changes have not been fully implemented. I would like to get another 6 months visa for study, anyway.What do I need to do for that now? I'll probably apply this month or sometime next month, but it needs to be sorted out by September.

If I need to leave the mainland I think that I can always apply in Hong Kong, as I have a Hong Kong ID. But I'm not sure if I should try to ask the school to supply the required documents ASAP or if at this point it makes no difference as the changes have already been implemented.

Thanks

You'll be fine. Talk to the person who manages your visa at school and it should be easily doable. For legit students who are already in China getting your visa renewed for further study shouldn't be a problem at all.

Besides, most of the recent visa changes only apply to New working visas

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"You look down and you see an Englishman, Leon."

"Englishman? What's that?"

"... you know what a foreigner is?"

"'Course."

"Same thing."

"I've never seen a foreigner. But I understand what you mean."

GuestBob posted:

"An old lady is taking a poo poo in the street. And You're not helping Leon. Why aren't you helping?"

"Describe, in single words, only the good things that come into your mind about your mother."

"My mother? Let me tell you about my mother."

"She has a round face and two big eyes, and a big big smell."

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Question to chinagoons: my brother and I might head to beijing for mid-autumn festival (starts on Wednesday the 16th, we'll arrive on Thursday, and leave on Sunday).

What will Beijing be like during this time? If it is anything like here in Korea (where everything, including museums, stores, restaurants, etc. shuts down) I might head to Nagoya, Japan instead.

Flight is slightly cheaper to Beijing and a Beijing trip is long overdue, but I want to do it properly, so I would appreciate any advice.

TIA!

edit: We are interested in cultural stuff (food, museums, tourist sites etc.) rather than clubs, bars, etc.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man Elysium is coming out in October and its art direction is being done by the same guy who did Blade Runner and at least one pre-screener has called it better than Bladerunner and I am so stoked.

edit: Bloodnose I'm reporting you for being a backseat mod! My dad is SB35!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 22, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh man Elysium is coming out in October and its art direction is being done by the same guy who did Blade Runner and at least one pre-screener has called it better than Bladerunner and I am so stoked.

Why is this post in any way related to tourism and travel in China?

Because Blade Runner had some Chinese characters in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

pyr0maniac posted:

Thanks

F Visa's were business visas. No study or work allowed. Practically, last year, you could obtain a year long, no stay limit, multi-entry F Visa in Hong Kong, without any real supporting documentation.

From what I read online now, if the visa was issued outside of China, it can be renewed for an equal period. But the visa's obtained in Hong Kong were typically issued inside China (Zhubei).

The new limits on F visas seem to be 90 days at most, with a 30/60 days stay limit. I'm not sure.

I did get an email from ilaowai saying they could extend an F visa by 6 or 12 months, without leaving China, but I don't know how much I'd trust them.

I'm trying to get the documentation together for a Z visa, but the police check alone is taking weeks - It has to be obtained, certified by one government department, then provided to the local embassy by somebody who has power of attorney for a second certification. It's a serious PITA, and very discouraging to people wanting to work in China.

Student Visa's are X Visas, and need supporting documentation.

I don't think the changes have been rolled out yet though, so, who knows?