Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Great Autismo! posted:

not good enough. do the work

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
mods?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

its yangmei season ya'll getting yangmei?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yep

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
is there a HK thread somewhere or do I belong here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my homie dhall posted:

is there a HK thread somewhere or do I belong here

you belong here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549109&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=1494

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

:tipshat:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but does anyone know how to order from TMall from overseas? Like a guide or recommended agent, and their experience using it?

Edit: Looks like YOYbuy is the way to go! Let's hope these dang shoes fit

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 19, 2021

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Hi, my friend is looking into teaching English in China. I think it'd be an amazingly cool experience to see new sights, live in a huge city, meet some fellow world travelers. The problem is he's not doing it for those reasons, he's doing it because he's depressed, has a bunch of body dysmorphic issues and hopes that there'll be a bunch of Asian chicks that will jump on his dick solely because he's a white foreigner.

How do I tell him he's a loving dipshit and why?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

If there's one place that rejects conformity and openly embraces foreigners, it's the PRC.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Beartaco posted:

Hi, my friend is looking into teaching English in China. I think it'd be an amazingly cool experience to see new sights, live in a huge city, meet some fellow world travelers. The problem is he's not doing it for those reasons, he's doing it because he's depressed, has a bunch of body dysmorphic issues and hopes that there'll be a bunch of Asian chicks that will jump on his dick solely because he's a white foreigner.

With the way the government is regulating the English teaching industry, I don't think there will be jobs in China anymore at this rate!

Tell him that he will be competing against guys who look like K-pop stars. He missed the white guy in Asia train by about a decade.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Beartaco posted:

bumping this thread because i need an update. Getting his dick wet or what?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
So uhhh, still no way for us citizens to get into china without having family in the hospital over there?

I'm loving about done with this covid poo poo.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Same.. I've been out of china since mid-2015 and I was actually going to travel back for a visit to friends in January 2020. With COVID exploding over there at that time, I canceled my trip. I still want to get back, but who knows if it will ever happen.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

SB35 posted:

bumping this thread because i need an update. Getting his dick wet or what?

SB looking for jo material :kstarehair:

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
One night in Shanghai as I ambled drunkenly down a street a few blocks from the Bund it seemed like I passed several piano stores within a couple blocks. Was that my imagination or are pianos a hot item in that part of town?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

socketwrencher posted:

One night in Shanghai as I ambled drunkenly down a street a few blocks from the Bund it seemed like I passed several piano stores within a couple blocks. Was that my imagination or are pianos a hot item in that part of town?

One time in Barthelona, I saw 3 printer and ink stores in one city circle. Sometimes the world is just silly

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

idk where near the bund that would be but in the ffc there's a couple streets that all have [very specific item] store over and over again, which include pianos and violins and stuff.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ailumao posted:

idk where near the bund that would be but in the ffc there's a couple streets that all have [very specific item] store over and over again, which include pianos and violins and stuff.

Welcome to my children's TED Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILgxeNBK_8

long story short: market forces blah blah ruinous competition

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Ok yeah guess there's nothing odd about it, maybe given the prevalence of electronic keyboards I think of pianos as kind of an old fashioned luxury item with a very limited market so it seemed a bit WTF at the time. Thanks for the feedback.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Every new rich apartment that looks like Donald Trump's bathroom needs a display piano.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Anyone know if Walgreens NAAT test is acceptable for entry into HK? The site says PCR based test, and it is my understanding that a NAAT is a kind of PCR test. But I don't want to find out the hard way that the government disagrees.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

bones 4 beginners posted:

Anyone know if Walgreens NAAT test is acceptable for entry into HK? The site says PCR based test, and it is my understanding that a NAAT is a kind of PCR test. But I don't want to find out the hard way that the government disagrees.

NAAT tests can be PCR based (and commonly are in many places, no idea about Walgreens), but other variants exist. Unless Walgreens has something they can hand you in writing with the test results that specifies which method they use, I wouldn't risk it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bones 4 beginners posted:

i just got back to japan from the us and japan does accept the walgreens rapid naat test. dunno if that helps, but fwiw.

took about an hour to get the results back, but that's out in north carolina so the labs weren't exactly busy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Cross-posting here for hopefully more direct China advice:

Apparently weed has been legalized in Thailand these days? If I were to consume cannabis once during a tourism trip there then head back to China, would it be detected in a drug test while going through customs coming back into China? China seems to detain/deport people for use of cannabis outside of its borders, but I don't know how likely a random drug test at the airport would be without reasonable cause besides "foreigner went to Thailand for tourism". Not even sure if it's worth loving around and finding out in this regard since I've been here for several years now/built up Chinese fluency etc and don't really want to risk all of that just over a happy pizza.

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/xEXxWxzdWc3CDpq1gDirAA

Tl;Dr how "random" is a random drug test at customs entering China? Would it be better to just stick to drinking on a vacation trip abroad?

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Even if you pass the drug test in the border, you would easily get in trouble if you ever got picked up in a bar or anywhere in China by the cops

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay good to know, thanks.

I'm hoping to take a trip to Chengdu for a few days sometime this year. Any recommendations for what to see and do while visiting? I'm especially interested in trying out the spiciest food on offer while there.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
we had a goonmeet in chengdu in 2017. It was PANDAmonium

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pandas, Dujiangyan irrigation system, the Jinsha museum are the big tourist things unless you go further afield to Leshan or something.

Foodwise Sichuan food uses lots of peppers but really isn't the rear end-destroying fire hot most of the time. Laziji is the big exception.

Def get Tibetan food and wander around in Yulin.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Gonna be back in Kunming for a couple months this summer.

Are Expressveepeen and Nordveepeen the preferred Great Firewall combatants at this point? Last I checked it seemed like free tunnels were getting whack-a-mole'd pretty quick.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Great Autismo! posted:

we had a goonmeet in chengdu in 2017. It was PANDAmonium

i remember being there

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Amergin posted:

Are Expressveepeen and Nordveepeen the preferred Great Firewall combatants at this point? Last I checked it seemed like free tunnels were getting whack-a-mole'd pretty quick.

Most people use Astrill. Though it's super untrustworthy and a ex-employee said they absolutely do log "for the good of the company" but, you know, it always works.

NordVPN doesn't work at all. ExpressVPN for most people in most places is garbage (I had it when I first came over, it went from being decent to just barely working at some point and, from what I've heard, never recovered.) Astrill pretty much always works.

Other options like v2ray also exist and work well for people.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

v2ray works great everywhere ive been except for the city of quanzhou, fujian specifically. i dont know why it doesnt work in quanzhou but ive been through there twice now and it was the same thing both times

that said, v2ray requires you to have a vps and you need to be capable of some linux janitoring and technical garbage like that. its a lot easier to click the "buy" button on astrill's website

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if youre a nerd who already has a server to throw it up on, i do recommend using v2ray (or rather, xray which is the updated version of it) with some variant of this basic configuration: https://github.com/XTLS/Xray-examples/blob/main/VLESS-TCP-TLS-WS%20(recommended)/config_server.json and set it to listen on port 443. and you want to configure your client to connect via websocket

and then get a domain name, sign up for a free cloudflare account and move your domain's dns over to cloudflare and click the "proxy" button

if you use ios, spend the $4 on the "shadowrocket" app because it really does work better than any of the free ones. use that app to connect to your xray server.

if you do all of that and don't share access with a bunch of random people to attract attention, it will be cheaper, more flexible, and more generally reliable than expressvpn or astrill

if all of that sounds like a big pain in the rear end or you dont understand what im talking about, just pay for astrill

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 11, 2023

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What's a good vps for that sorta thing?

I already run it in a digital ocean vps and it works but I also have my website and some other things on there and if I use more than 100GB a month I gotta pay more, and it's also not the fastest thing from China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i do it on vultr. the new jersey datacenter works well enough for me and you can get a 500GB/month vps for $3.50 a month

e: just did a speed test to a new york speedtest.net center, while on china mobile 4g on my iphone going through my v2ray thing in new jersey. it's good enough for me:

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 11, 2023

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I've been using Wannaflix, which is kind of a middle ground in terms of complexity, and have found it fantastic. A bit more effort to set up but not that much, and the servers are incredibly reliable.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I used to have a great v2ray setup, but it stopped working and I couldn't be hosed to set it up again so I got Astrill, the only reliable commercial VPN in China as far as I know. It's fast enough and it keeps working even when everyone else is complaining about theirs not working.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Amergin posted:

Astrill, no contest.

Express used to be kind of okay, but completely poo poo the bed last Fall when China was having Covid-related protests and never came back. Totally unusable now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Thanks all on the Astrill rec. Express just straight up didn't work at all, Astrill has thankfully been solid because even my work tunnel (FortiClient) poo poo the bed today.

Also gently caress this heat wave in a goddamn city with no AC. They even cut the AC in malls - how the gently caress you gonna have a MeetFresh when it's 29 degrees in the goddamn building?!