Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Hello thread!

I will be in Hong Kong as a tourist from July 7 - 10th. I read the 'my goon city' post by Caberham and it sounds pretty cool. I have a question on language:

caberham posted:

At the very least you can get by speaking English in most tourist places.

Any tips for the American who speaks only English? I was planning on going to the big markets, Womens Market and Temple Street, where I assume English is passable for haggling. What other places are good? Where should I avoid? Any useful hand gestures I should use/not use?

I was hoping to give Snowden a high five while I was over there :911: but it seems I'll have to find another way to celebrate freedom. Can I get Cuban cigars in Hong Kong?

And whats the word on getting fitted for a suit? I've googled around and I think 4 days is not enough time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

caberham posted:

Awesome I should be in town. Send me an email and we will grab a bite. Just Wondering if you have ever been to East Asia before? If you can bring me Buffalo Jerky that would be super duper awesome. Or help me carry some inane things if I buy stuff from amazon :shobon: I love USA :911:

I have never been to Asia before, or really out of the USA. I couldn't find buffalo jerky so I will have to find another way to bond with you and become true internet bros. And I'm leaving for Manila tomorrow with friends but my HK trip is solo.

caberham posted:

Real freedom is walking around the streets with a very easily identifiable alcoholic beverage in your hand. Preferably a bottle of Bourbon. In fact, ask some police officers for some directions, take a photo and pose with them while sipping a bottle of bourbon. Compliment on their uniforms or whatever :gay:

My plan for HK was to beat up the statue of Bruce Lee but drunkenly hanging out with doofus cops is better!