Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I'm gonna be heading up in a couple weeks to live in Harbin for about a year teaching English. Anyone got any advice for that part of China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

SB35 posted:

Buy a winter jacket when you get there

I'm from Quebec, Canada -I'm bringing my own. We like it cold.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

I'm saving this quote for January, I'll bring it back then.

According to wikipedia, we've got just about the same climate (save Harbin's got drier winters). -30 lows are something we're used to at this point.

Arglebargle III posted:

Winter coats are super bulky for air travel.

Actually my second question was: Is it feasible to ship certain things? Like a PC and winter clothes (the stuff I have is pretty good quality and nigh-indestructible)?
My operating assumption is that if the cost of replacement > cost of shipping, then I'll ship it over or carry it (depending).

It's gonna be kind of hard finding proper winter gear as someone who's 6' wearing size 12 shoes in China.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
So I'm just about ready to book a flight to Beijing, hoping to take the train from there to Harbin.

How much downtime should I put between the arrival and departure in order to be able to get to the train-station on time/out of the airport? Or should I just buy a ticket on arrival (not my first instinct). Also, anyone have any experience with luggage/baggage on the train network?

I can't wait to begin my happy everyday.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I've booked my ticket and I'm ready to go, but I can't decide whether I will be better served in my daily commute by a Giant Plastic Bag Of Fresh Air Protecting My Head or Holding My Breath For A Long Time.

(Any advice on air pollution masks, goons?)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Z visas are employer-specific, right? If I were to find somewhere that wasn't Harbin, city of death air, to work, I'd have to get a new visa and such, wouldn't I?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I need to buy tea, anyone know what the best way for me to buy some good Pu-Erh is? I have no idea where to even start.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Sogol posted:

You are in luck! I have some that I came into by way of a Nigerian Prince! I will be happy to part with it for a fair price.

I'm willing to trade you this blanket a Buddhist Grandmaster Monk of Qi Gong gave me that can cure syphillis!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I don't actually know *where* I live. Is that weird?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Woodsy Owl posted:

:china: It doesn't matter, forget it. No problem, any time!
It is amazing how many of my conversations end with this phrase. Though, "No sweat!" has also been tossed in a lot the last few days.

I had a question, in general: to send mail, like a letter, can I use standard roman script/postage format (mail for north america) or is there some kind of combination/magical code I need to put on my envelope?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Woodsy Owl posted:

Does anyone have a problem taking anyone or anything seriously in China? I can't shake the feeling that everything is a tragically unfunny joke, as if everyone is playing a part in a high-school-caliber performance of "Developed Nation."

This makes me cry at night, whenever I don't drink.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
So how poorly regarded are Joy English "schools"? I work for one and have begun forming a distinct impression that ESL teaching here is kind of a big old joke played on everyone by nobody.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

How did Harbin goon survive, i can't imagine Chinese window and door technology is that far ahead of Korea (my curtain ripples in front of a closed 2 year old window.)

I (the Harbin Goon) wear a ridiculous crazy mask almost every day. Pretty much whenever the AQI is over 100. Which is practically every day.

You will have to forgive the strange angle and clothing. I was going out for the evening.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

How often do most of you guys sport the masks? Moving to China is a possibility for me down the line but I'm not really looking forward to the idea of living in an apocalyptic wasteland where you need a breathing apparatus to go outside.

(This is true for Harbin, which has worse air of late than the rest of China)

In my case, about 5/7 days a week, for between 1-3 hours depending. I've got a mask with a filter that needs changing about every month at this rate. A colleague I have who is a heavy smoker doesn't wear one, stating he "doesn't really notice". Most of the locals don't seem to, unless the days are particularly...smoky smelling. When you don't wear a mask, and blow your nose, your snot will be noticeably grey or black. You'll also feel the need to spit alot, and cough. It took about 3 weeks for my singing voice to recover just from the initial air shock, even with a mask on.

Did I mention you can both see and smell the air pollution? It's like the smell of burnt toast beyond the point of being burnt. Just carbonized ashes roasting.

On the plus side, the mask does keep the wind out of your nose and mouth, and the cold is less biting.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The Hong Kong recruiters said I needed more experience, and suggested I work in the mainland first :negative:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd have four years full time in Korea plus a year and a half part time at my university by the time I'd be looking to move. What kind of experience did the HK recruiters want?
Most of them seemed to want at least 1-2 years teaching minimum, with university degrees and certifications. I was a fresh university graduate/TESL Certificate so no such luck. Sounds like you're fine.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
My girlfriend took me to a "korean" restaurant and I was treated to the worst kimchi I'd ever had. I hope next time we go to an actual korean restaurant with korean writing on the sign and the menus and such, rather than an imitation korean restaurant.

Are weird chinese versions of "ethnic" or "cultural" theme restaurants a big thing here? Like, can I get Franco-Chinese or something?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
At least Chengdu goons get to fail to meet. I have to deal with the regular, horrible expat experience when I want some Anglophone company.

What I'm saying is that everyone should work in Harbin and that it's a golden city of opportunity and in no way will Russians threaten to stab you.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Hey cecil we are rooting for you. Toughening out in harbin for some street cred, earn your colors. Come to.East Asia.goon paradise Hong kong soon. Throw you a hero's welcome of bad dumplings dipped in.cheez whiz and make you feel welcome

Actually I was in the process of thinking about planning my spring(?) holiday (who the hell celebrates spring at the end of January?) and was thinking of either Beijing or Hong Kong.

Seriousedit: Or Chengdu. Your food sounds good.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

GuestBob posted:

I can't walk backwards.

I was walking in a park the other day and there was an old man elaborately walking backwards along the path. Why was this. I don't understand.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Magna Kaser posted:

In other news the cats in my office continue to own. Go office cats.

Dawww, lookit them cute fuckers. Aren't they gonna be sad when you leave Chengdu?

I'm torn. I want to get a cat, because I'm a cat person in general, but I'm afraid of increasing my attachments to this place. I'm still afraid of committing to China, she's such a demanding mistress.

Is there anything drastically different about keeping a housecat in china compared to north america? Do people use litterboxes? Do the cats just go in the squat toilets? My mind is full of these questions.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
So where should I go for Spring Festival? I need to make plans for my Escape From Harbin.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
How much would a week long trip down to HK cost? I'd be more than glad to pay a goon for a space of clean floor and a blanket if it means not having to worry about bedbugs in a cheap hostel.

Also I speak basically no Chinese (yet), so I'm pretty useless in fending for myself.

Advice?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Guess I'll just have to glue my orifices shut. Nothing beats a free place to sleep.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
For good drinking value, Er Guo Tou is like 55% and maybe 5 rmb for enough to make you blind drunk. Look for it. (no don't).

It's like Baijiu but there's more self-hatred.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Facepalm Ranger posted:

so, is Witopia, the best VPN since it's listed right at the top of the VPN list?

I use Astrill and it's really easy and reliable. It has a neat little program that runs and automatically configures everything.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Tom Smykowski posted:

He hates chopsticks.
I hear in the philippines, you eat with chopsticks and a spoon

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Where the heck are you getting beef? I want some beef.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Hang it on a clothesline in Harbin for a genuine Cold Smoked Char(red)coal salmon.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Alright I've got a serious issue at hand here:

The scheduler at work is trying to get me to work extra hours in the next few weeks leading up to spring festival. This is done by switching week-schedule days for weekend-schedule days. (going from 2 teaching hours to about 7). I told them I'll do this, but I expect the overtime pay that I'm entitled to in my contract.

My contract says I can either accept teaching hours that go over twenty a week at 80RMB and hour, or simply refuse them. I obviously don't want to refuse them at this point in time, but I'd like to know if you guys have any advice for making sure I get what my contract says I do.

So, any advice? Prematurely: I can't quit my job (yet).

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Can someone explain to me the etiquette of buying gifts for people? I'm apparently not supposed to buy something heartfelt and unique and this confuses the crap out of me.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

Who are you giving it to? It doesn't have to be expensive but it's the thoughtfulness that counts. However do keep in mind what the receiver likes.

Most of this is going to be for my girlfriend's family. We'll be bouncing between their homes for new years so there's basically:

1. Ultra old people, her grandparents, who effectively raised her. They're nice and have been kind to me.
2. Her Dad, who is nice and wants to meet me. The only bad things I have heard is that he is more friendly than fatherly. Which is a bad thing?
3. Her Mom, who is a total bitch and demanded she break up with me the moment she heard about me. This woman also regularly beat her until she was old enough to fight her off.

Hooray for a traumatic childhood divorce I guess?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
A follow up to my earlier boss question:

I'm probably meeting with my boss monday (and the other english teacher she has is coming along to participate -our idea) and I'm pretty much going to ask for about 2000 kuai in overtime.

So my question is: It it going to be cheaper for her to replace both of us (100% of her full-time laowai staff) or just pay us our overtime and be done with it?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Magna Kaser posted:

Hahaha unless she can find a couple of international student rubes she can scam it's about a million times cheaper to pay you that money.

You do have a real RP, right? If you're an illegal F/X visa holder then it's not really that much cheaper but still a lot more troublesome.

Yeah, I'm here on a RP with a proper visa and such.

To clarify: I'm being made to make up Weekends (full days of work) on Weekdays (partial days). I've also been steadily working about 22-26 hours a week (contract stipulates 20) for about a month. My contract doesn't say squat about special days or changes or working extra aside from being allowed to decide whether or not to do overtime, and if I agree to do it, it's 80RMB an hour. Which I know isn't much, but, well, it's a lot to me.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Today I met with my boss and was told that, because no other previous teacher had complained that they had not been paid their overtime, there was no problem. I then explained I simply wanted to be paid. The conversation went in circles until my boss asked me "when does your visa expire".

What the gently caress do I do, goons? These people owe me nigh on 10,000 kuai come saturday, overtime and salary. If they don't pay me and sack me instead I am literally up the river without a paddle and can't even afford a new place to stay.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

MeramJert posted:

I still don't think it's clear from what you've said if you are actually entitled to overtime pay or not, legally.

I am. What my boss made clear was that she didn't care what my contract says and that "this is how we do things". Payment is based on custom and tradition, rather than contract and requirement.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Aero737 posted:

Is your visa through that company? Careful, a lot of schools issue visas through agencies which makes your contact technically null and void. You could sue them, but that's a long drawn out process that no foreigner can navigate. The police will do nothing, they will tell you to sue them.

Source: I worked for a lovely school which issued my visa through an agency, and then extorted me for 2000 for my release letter at the end of my contract. Police in Beijing told me I had to sue to do anything about it.

I was hired through a recruiter, and as far as I know, they handled the visa stuff. All my RP stuff was done with me in person, my boss bringing me around in tow. I have no clue, I guess.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Donraj posted:

Yeah, suddenly really glad I skipped out on that job in Harbin at the last minute.

You did say you were working at a Joy school, right?

Yup. Hulan/Schwangchung[sic?]/Limin branches.

Since Joy's a franchise I have no idea how this plays out elsewhere, but well, it can't be much better if this is what's a standard.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Sorry but this is a completely unbelievable scenario. I'm sorry that you don't understand Chinese culture. If someone is molested or raped the correct response is to blame them and send them to their grandparents' hometown forever so as to not bring shame upon your family. I know that you were making a "joke" however, let's try to stay grounded in reality. A joke isn't funny if it isn't believable. For example that's why British comedy isn't funny, most of the things people say would never happen in reality.

One thing I'd ask of you Ceciltron is, do you carry an e-tool (entrenching tool) with you when you go about your business in China? If not, would you be able to get one? Check out taobao -> http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.8.s0hHSZ&id=36180773053
Yes, of course, I carry a Spetsnaz folding shovel in my bag with my lesson plans at all times. It is next to my snus, fedora polishing brush and beef jerky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Guestbob's penis and amusing genital topiary have gotten me through a hard couple of days.