Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Arglebargle III posted:

Seeing as there's a Taobao recommendation in the OP and I am still an idiot tourist despite living in this country 2 years, is there any way we could get a guide on how to register an account on Taobao/Alipay? When I've tried it seems that not having a Chinese ID number is an impassible barrier to using Taobao.

I'd like to see this too. I've bought things on Taobao a few times, but damned if I can remember how. I always get lost at the payment part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Magna Kaser posted:

Mine was 800, same as it ever was.

1100 HKD plus 300 for next day processing here.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Cuatal posted:

How do you get to the bus to Hong Kong from the Shenzhen train station? How much does the bus cost to Hong Kong for foreigners, is it round trip?

Thanks!

If you mean the train station in Luohu then the subway itself goes straight from there to Hong Kong. No bus needed.

Also I can confirm that Audible works fine, with or without a VPN.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, I appear to have lost my TEFL in China certificate when I was moving from Shenzhen. I still have scans of it, including the certificate number, but CTLC tells me there's no chance of getting the hard copy replaced. I'm going back to the US to get my master's now, but if I ever come back to ESL work is that likely to cause me any problems?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

MeramJert posted:

Didn't you just start a new job in Harbin or something?

School notified me at the last minute. Full ride for a master's degree. Job wasn't worth turning it down over, and the contract included an opt out option for the first sixty days.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

quote:

The fact that there is no facility for reprinting even with a reference number is an indication of something which you may find depressing.

Yeah, this past year has been a learning experience in many ways. I'll be more careful about job offers in the future.

Still, I got my TEFL certificate at Peking University, I assumed that at least made it legit.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Oh, you can take me off the list. I'm back in the US for at least a year while I get my MA.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

blinkyzero posted:

These are Judge Dee films, right? I've never seen any of the movies, but I've read many of the different takes on him by Eastern and Western authors and really liked most of them.

Could you suggest some? I'm about to write a paper on early 20th century Chinese detective literature, but truthfully I don't know much beyond one author and I'm pretty ignorant on more traditional stuff.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Sogol posted:

Have you read the Magistrate Pao stories?

No, but I've heard of them and mean to do so.

quote:

His first book is actually more or less just a translation of the Judge Dee Cases, a Chinese book by an anonymous 18th century author that van Gulik supposedly found somewhere in Japan. I'm guessing this is the guy you've heard about.

I believe I have that book sitting on my table right now. It was actually next on my list.

And the guy I'm talking about is a Shanghai writer named Cheng Xiaoqing who was actively mainly in the 30s. Near as I can tell most of his stuff hasn't been translated.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Don't they call Wuhan one of the "Three Furnaces" or something like that?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Ceciltron posted:

I am. What my boss made clear was that she didn't care what my contract says and that "this is how we do things". Payment is based on custom and tradition, rather than contract and requirement.

Yeah, suddenly really glad I skipped out on that job in Harbin at the last minute.

You did say you were working at a Joy school, right?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Cross-posted from the D&D thread because I'm an idiot who cannot read

quote:

Had my first round Skype interview for the NET job Friday. I won't know until later this week, but it's looking likely that I'll be invited to interview in New York come this March.

Still debating whether it's worth the expense, because my qualifications aren't that hot. I only have a year's teaching experience (secondary school, and I'm applying to teach primary) and a TEFL certificate with no teacher qualification from the US. And given how much NETs are supposed to make I'm guessing that they can afford to be picky. And interviewing is not something I'm good at. Any advice?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, the NET recruitment people got back to me asking for "an official letter to state that TEFL course in China from SAFEA in 2012 has met the NET scheme TEFL/TESL qualification requirement (at least 100 contact hours and teaching practicum)"

I am not entirely sure I can provide this. I plan to contact the program director from my old job, but is there any other way I can go about verifying this for them? My training program was about eight hours a day for sixteen days, so it should meet the hours requirement.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
In other news, CTLC has elected to not screw me over and provide an official letter stating that my TEFL certificate meets Hong Kong Education Bureau standards. They assured me it would be mailed to me Friday. So maybe the NET thing will work out. Or the fellowship to study at CUHK I applied for (and will not hear word on until the end of April). We'll see.

Also increasingly glad I ended up skipping out on that job at Joy Harbin.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

GuestBob posted:

For the record, I am skeptical but I am not laughing. Ceciltron has done more to handle his situation than 99% of the poor sods who end up with the fuzzy end of the chopstick. The odds are against him and people have told him that - but the only one ridiculing him here is you.

He managed to get his own apartment and hire a lawyer. By never been to China before barely speaks a word of Mandarin standards that's crazy competent, even with his Chinese girlfriend helping him.

I mean hell, the police even seem to have sided with him. He's winning.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

goldboilermark posted:

"He managed to hire a lawyer". Amazing stuff! You mean he found a law office and gave them money? And they accepted it?! And he found an apartment, and gave someone money for it, and they accepted it!? He's on the road to success!

"By never been to China before barely speaks a word of Mandarin standards"

Plus I do kinda want to know if the "get a new passport number" trick still works and this seems like a good way to find out.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, invited to the NET interviews in New York next month.

Buut they say they need an original copy of my TEFL certificate. Which I no longer have and CTLC says cannot be replaced, "Due to the seals and signatures on it." Waiting to hear back on whether this will be an insurmountable problem.

Would really hate to lose my chance at a job like this because I lost a piece of paper while I was moving.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Looks like I'm set to interview for the NET registrar next month!

Also, how exactly does visa free transit in Hong Kong work? I mean, if you stay for sixty days can you spend a day in Shenzhen and come back for another sixty days?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

caberham posted:

Yeah, let's just move on.

Congrats, like what simplefish said, just go to Macau and back. When are you coming in?

Oh, the interview is in New York City. The earliest I'll be in Hong Kong is in August. The transit question was unrelated.

Do you have to spend a full twenty-four hours outside of Hong Kong or something, or can you just turn back around and come back?

Also the excitement has died down and been replaced by nervousness. I have historically not had a good success record with interviews for teaching jobs. Anyone have any advice?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

goldboilermark posted:

I have a few friends that use them, but ever since grad school I have written and underlined and marked the hell out of most books I have, and I don't think a Kindle really works like that. I also cringe at the thought of having something like that and having a ton of books on it and losing it.

You can annotate Kindle books, and they're all backed up on your Amazon account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

MeramJert posted:

I also think Kindles feel weird and much prefer an actual book.

I actually dislike reading from paper books at this point.