Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I'm going to China soon and I've heard that it's basically completely cashless there now.

I'm trying to setup Wechat Pay and AliPay but it's difficult without a Chinese ID/Bank Account. Some guides said that you can use a foreign bank card, is that still the best way to do stuff?

If worse comes to worse, I guess I can get my Chinese girlfriend to send me money and I can just use the balance while I'm in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Thanks for the tips. I tried setting up the WeChat pay but when I got to the identity verification, it didn't let me choose United States as my Passport country. I messaged WeChat support about that so hopefully I get a response there.

AliPay allowed me to use my passport for verification and I was able to put in a credit card. I guess the test will be in China to see if I can actually use it to buy stuff.

I'd like to get both working but having one of the two should hopefully be good enough.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Aero737 posted:

Does Ali pay convert USD to RMB or does it run RMB through your credit card?

In my recent experience, it runs USD through your card and you get the normal conversion rate. You will pay international fees so make sure you have an international card. However, not all places will accept Alipay with credit card, it was kind of hit or miss for me. Some places would accept it and others wouldn't and there was no rhyme or reason to it.

I could not get my international (HSBC) credit card working with WeChat no matter what I tried so I have no experience there.

Going cash only is not going to work for daily life at all. The only time I used cash in my recent trip was in Hong Kong and everywhere else was electronic. Your best bet is definitely getting your hands on a phone with a Chinese phone number/bank account if you can since that will be the most reliable.

Edit: I checked my statement and fixed an error.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 22, 2023