Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

william567
Dec 1, 2007
She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable
I've arrived here and am set up with China Unicom. Is it just my luck or is prepaid data here just terrible? I signed up with a prepaid card that was like 96 yuan (with 30 for the sim) and I went through the data allowance in an afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

william567
Dec 1, 2007

SB35 posted:

How much data did that get you? If you just started your account you probably had to pay the monthly fee too, so maybe 20 RMB. Right off the bat. At the very least pay as you go is pretty common in China, just head down to the nearest phone shop and put another 50 RMB on your phone.

Honestly, I treated China as mostly offline. My phone data was good enough for email, maps, and reading SA. Pretty much everything else, including RSS feeds I just downloaded over wifi and read offline. Granted I had China Mobile 2G data so it was balls slow and I'm cheap.

edit: where are you located?

I'm on Gubei Road, keen to hang out ! With regard to the sim card, I still don't know whats going on. I think they just recharged it initially with a crappy recharge plan.

william567
Dec 1, 2007

SB35 posted:

Gubei Road... Shanghai? Tianjin? Nantong? Ningbo?

This happened to me too. Technically you're not supposed to make any alterations to your passport, that'd be illegal. But I never reglued it and eventually it got lost. Didn't seem to make a difference.

I had to do that criminal check for my company in the software park too. I printed out a copy of my online viewable (state only, showing a couple driving infractions) criminal record, copy pasted a state seal on it and that was it. Never heard another thing about it.

Shanghai