Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
drat the South East Asians are too unrefined, with all the well heeled Chinese you associate with you guys sure eat like peasants :downrim:

Aiya stop eating at lovely places. Yes everything is dumped into the soup, but
1. all the inedible parts solids should get taken out beforehand
2. Strain the smaller bits out
3. the larger chunks of food should be served onto another plate and cut into bite sized portions (can take them home for left overs and if you want)

When it comes to Guangdong cooking, fancier places/meals you don't even eat any of the carcass because it has been boiled out of flavour and is used for filler. The only exception I can think of is cured Chinese ham.

Having 12 people gnawing at a vegetable and splashing into the soup bowl is just barbaric.

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

I think we may have hit upon the problem there Hop Sing. In my culture, feet be inedible and stuff. Also heads and entire pangolins and so on!

Ok Ok, solids, solids.

Fun fact, if you pack your lunch box with last night's carcass/solids/soup left overs, your co workers will silently judge or pity you as dirt poor.

quote:

EDIT: Also, when are you flying back through dirty Asia and not pretending to lose your phone upon falling in love with a waitress for the weekend? I AM JUST SAYING.

I don't fall in love with Thai waitresses, I think almost everyone in the thread knows the white elephant in the room :downsrim:

I do want to go to SE Asia, but I'm itching for Singapore. Yes, I know I'm boring :rolleyes: I still haven't made my #2 Beijing goon trip or Taiwan trip. But I promise you, if the weather in Hong Kong gets too cold during the winter, I'm just going to jump on a plane Friday night and whatsapp you within 4 hours to set a BKK goon meet.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
China goons and of course Pro PRC, I'm trying to set up a Mainland account because I want to use online shopping and all. Looking at this just makes me squirm

What's the goon consensus on banks again? Are there any banks where I don't have to download lovely software and can just use a security token?

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 30, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

OOPRCT posted:

Hi everybody, I'm going to be in Guangzhou from now until the 5th and then to Chengdu from the 5th until the 9th. Does anybody in the neighborhood want to hang out with a young, supple 22 year old boy looking for a good time?

Hey there, I'm in HK. If it was the weekend I would definitely take the train over to GZ for a meet up. But kind of busy this week :( If you are coming in from the Americas, I suppose pulled pork sandwiches and southern food isn't a really big appeal. But if you have time and can pop over to Hong Kong, I can show you around in the evenings and all.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/activex-for-chrome/lgllffgicojgllpmdbemgglaponefajn

Posted in other thread, posting here just cus... use this, problem solved.

Thanks Pro PRC :glomp:

Jeoh posted:

You never have anything to declare at customs and if you're caught just tell them it's a mistake and give them a cigarette package.

Only if you are white :downsrim:

You got to be careful about certain customs. If you fly from Amsterdam or Netherlands to the states, your bags will get searched. If you carry too much tabacco or alcohol and get caught, you get major fines. US/Canadian airport customs are jerks and like to check on everything and ask all sorts of inane questions to throw you off.

Going to Stuttgart was weird. We were the only Asians on board and the customs were freaking out. "Where are you from? OH CHINA? THIS WAY PLEASE!". After looking at our passports, the first thing they asked us was "Did you bring any tabac, alocohol, or baijiu?" If some small town cop knew what baijiu was, aiiiyaaaa....

And I just want to repost this: "Chinese_suitcase.jpg"

Hey Jeoh, good news! I'm flying to Germany again next year! This time, maybe we can stop by Poland, and you are based in Amsterdam yes? I haven't been there in 12 years, and hopefully I can weasel in a client meeting and see you in the evening :)

TheBuilder posted:

It's clean and nice but the expats are mostly a bunch of asslicks.

I think everyone can be a jerk, but expats are just more visible. When it comes to comparing asslicks across China, I think Hong Kong has the biggest concentration of expat assholes though. Super self entitled jerks who "don't want to touch any of that local tripe". But meh, the city needs warm bodies to sustain great steak houses. Doesn't mean you can be a holier-than-thou prick and rub it in though: they either move for work/money; hopping from one place to another.

Next post: Caberham made a bank account :china:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What, aiya should give me a tell earlier and all.

Are you still in HK?

Magna is near SiDa from the top of my head

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh that's good to know! Hope you are having fun here! Chengdu is great, there are all kinds of spicy noodles. And Tibetan food

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Shenzhen Trip Report: Xinjiang food and setting up a bank account:siren:

I like making fun of Shenzhen, it's a dump compared to Hong Kong but the Xinjiang and Sichuan/Non Cantonese Chinese food is really delicious. Price wise, it's still OK even with the horrible RMB : HKD currency :smith: So it was a Friday and I decided to cross the border. I guess it has been a while since I went back to China and each time I go, there's just something quirky about China. Sure, Shenzhen is actually getting cleaner/tidier/better each passing year but it's still no Hong Kong :smugdog:

So how do you cross into China from Hong Kong?

Here's a list - http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/control/location.htm

There are actually a few ways to do it. Wiki travel and I think the past forum posts have enough information. This time I took the Futian Border(Shenzhen)/Lok Ma Chau(Hong Kong) check point (福田口岸/落馬洲).

It opens from 6:30am - 10:30pm. From the Shenzhen side, you can the Longhua Line from Shenzhen, and just walk across a landbridge. In the HK side, you can either take different buses/minibus/taxi or just hop onto the train onto Kowloon. It's so weird, once you hit the border crossing, all the little China things/China fashion start showing up :staredog:

I really don't get it.

Shower slippers and a qipao?

Cool haircut :thumbsup:

If you don't have any fast pass for the China side, expect 45 minutes or longer during rush hour. If you fly to Hong Kong over 3 times in a year, there's a fast travel ID pass you can apply and make going to/exiting HK a breeze.

Being in Shenzhen proper

What do you see? Motorcycle taxis :) I love being on a motor cycle taxi. It's awesome, but a bit dangerous I suppose :downs:

Xinjiang food

Xinjiang food is awesome. The meat is halal and the lamb is delicious. And freshly baked naan too :swoon: Sure there are lots of Xinjiang places in China, but which one? I like the restaurant for the Xinjiang affairs office in Shenzhen. Party members like to eat (food/alcohol/pussy/and your taxes) :china:

http://www.openrice.com.cn/shenzhen/canting/detail/33466

It's a whole row of Xinjiang restaurants actually, and right there's a subway line construction so the address might be harder to find.

To say the decor is basic would be an understatement. It's actually pretty dirty but for the neighbourhood. You know the place is pretty legit when you see tacky disco lighting, questionable hygene, a legit menu without pandering xinjiang as a tourist spot. Come on, even if the food is so-so for you, the crowds are hilarious. You get guys like

Who just likes to wear a Captain Jack Sparrow shirt, WAAAA SOOO FASHION :china:

And Once time passes, everyone starts slamming qingdao's (It's not Halal) and taking their shirts off, chain smoking cigarettes and chugging baijiu to fight the summer heat and dust.

I never been to Henan, the ancient heartland but I imagine I would see this all the time

So sexy :swoon:

Food!

I think I ate somethings like the skewers before I could even take pictures, I was too hungry. The lamb skewers are delicious. It was a pretty meat heavy meal which makes it super awesome because most things in China are pretty carb heavy.

For veggies: 18rmb. spinach and fried egg with peppers. I was a bit spicy but not too greasy because it was constantly cooked under a wok with ultra high heat

25 rmb. Freshly baked lamb meat pies. They take forever, but drat the crust was good. It was also partially soaked in lamb juices so it had a hearty meat taste to it.

Wanted to order the pilaf but we already had a meat pie. That's the problem with 2 people eating at restaurants where everything is just served in a large platter. Portion control is a bit hard but oh well. Cumin in lamb, goes well with the pie as extra meat. 35rmb

Granted, food will probably taste better as I go up north. I'm planning to head to Beijing Mid October and Goon Meet :toot:, hopefully we can order a pile of xinjiang food and see.

The next day, I went to the bank and tried opening a bank account. I stumbled upon an awfully Chocolate, man the desserts there are just good. Everything is chocolatey to the max. Saw this special item and it was really really good :swoon: Have a bad China day? Treat yourself to this, they also do salted brownies.

Want to live in China? You should just pick these cities
code:
SINGAPORE
SHANGHAI
HONG KONG
TAIPEI
BEIJING
***JAKARTA*** I used to be really Chinese, before the Pogroms
DALIAN
GUANGZHOU
SHENZHEN
http://www.awfullychocolate.com/

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 2, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I don't want my sacred language to be harmonized :china: Actually, that doesn't sound too bad because I hate pretentious jerks who use English words fake sophistication :bravo:

I do like to make fun of crippled/tragic characters but it really doesn't matter so much. Like Bloodnose said, if you are in Korea and everything is in traditional then go work on that (except tourist signs, it's all in simplified :emo:). Regardless of whatever you learn, your proficiency is not static and you will eventually blend in to your environment. Most people don't get beyond a few basic phrases. Magna started learning traditional in Taiwan and maxed out on his HSK level 6. He even wrote an amazing paper in Chinese, but nowadays he is turning into a Chinese country bumpkin faux-hipster. Rabelais and Bloodnose were decent but spending time in HK atrophied their putonghua. MeramJert refuses to speak with me in Mandarin :smith: Actually no one really wants to :qq:

Except Argle, he can carry a conversation with MY GIRLFRIEND about current issues and higher level topics :neckbeard: I'm just bitter that I write Chinglish all the time.

Just focus on listening skills, basic vocab, forming sentences. Sure it's fun to argue but most laowai's (and Hongers) speak poo poo Mandarin or give up too soon. You do enough Chinese cooking so I'm sure you already recognize Beef/Pork/Chicken/Fish. Recipe book proficiency :eng101:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Smeef posted:

Heartbroken to see that the goon wechat group is full. :smith:

We made a new goon room, message me caberham for invite

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you already know your traveling dates then yeah buy beforehand. Normally getting a ticket on the spot is doable but becomes a nightmare during national holidays.

And do bar starz like AfroNinja. Go to random parks and do pull ups!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've been teaching in Taiwan for four years and now might need to change jobs. I'm really not sure where to start looking though. Taiwan has websites like tealit.com that have tons of job postings. How would I even start searching for work in China?

Only one more year and you can get the PARC in Taiwan! I suppose it's not that useful if it expires in the future. You can try here

http://hongwrong.com/hk-life-teaching-in-hong-kong/

Ceciltron posted:

I'm from Quebec, Canada -I'm bringing my own. We like it cold.

Awesome, but the north will also be really polluted so beware! Houses won't be insulated and heated as well, so stay safe! The ice festival is nice.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Decathlon? gently caress that. If you're not rocking a 军大衣, you're doing it wrong.

He means PLA winter coat. Stop being such a China-boo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Only when you can attain Chinese nationality like this other HK goon here. Right now you are just an American faking to be Chinese. A runaway neckbeard from the States getting fat in the outskirts of a Beijing basement. Have you gotten your ECA stack and picked up running yet?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Boy/goon/neckbeard/creep/random internet guy, I'm Chinese and have a family to live :china: It's nice actually have a family to live with instead of fleeing from the government over student loans.

Your own house in the sticks was bought by your in-laws. Aren't you special? Actually it's pretty cool to have in-laws taking pity on you and give you shelter. It's ok to have an identity crisis and be indenial over yourself. Just get nationalized already geeze. This poo poo is turning into LAN. Aiya.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tacky cheesy names make me sick :barf: Especially when you have names like Beijing Beverly Hills or something stupid.

VideoTapir posted:

The Kajillionaire Cash Money Imperial King Estate Mansions

Buy now and get complimentary maid-beating service for one year.

I know a few people who beat their maids, then paid 500,000 HKD to hire a lawyer and had the case dismissed.

"But, but... I was really really mad, the hot water bath for my baby was too hot and scalded his foot! I don't deserve to go to Jail" :qq:

It was disgusting to listen to the story as a story as secondary source. Sometimes I really really hate rich people in Hong Kong. For gently caress's sakes, life is already easy enough, don't be a douche.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Hong Kong could use some cultural revolution.

:staredog:

We had one in 67 and it was not pretty. Home made bombs, killing a radio DJ, and heavy martial law. That's why a lot of older Hongers hates communists. During that time, my mom was a nurse at a hospital and the senior head nurse was an old white lady. The hospital patients were reading Mao's little red book and went all nationalistic, screaming for the expulsion of foreign devils. My mom and her coworkers formed a human shield wall absorbing severalblows from people who they knew for a long time :smith:

After the riots, some of the patients just pretend nothing happened: "Nurse can I have some water please?" :bravo:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

lemoz posted:

Appreciate it. Do you have any websites where I can learn some of this "survival" Chinese? I know that I'm going to be fine but what I really want is some people I can hang with starting week 1. My university has many Chinese students. Those who refuse to make friends with natives or at least attempt to are generally reclusive for their entire time at the university. They have 4 years and I have 6 months, so it is the up most importance that I start exploring the city.

Lots of Beijing goons too, it seems like you have a nice set up, legal work, nice apartment in the city centre. Any help from past alumni or campus? Thought they normally have a orientation or some sort of resource guide for newbies.

MY GIRLFRIEND is going to Beijing for a training seminar Mid 2 weeks after your landing so I will go there for the weekend and set up a goon meet.

If you have a smartphone you should have some sort of data plan right? If not, the OP is pretty helpful, it's too bad there is no Beijing goon city guide :smith: Join the wechat channel and you can also hang out with us goons.

There's also the China LAN thread for garbage posting/random venting colourful discussion

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You guys really ought to read the OP :negative:

quote:

Sogou Maps - Android - according to Pro-PRC Laowai, "In all honesty, Google maps really really really sucks for China. Maps are out of date and they are missing a lot of data. Grab up Sogou Map, they give better info and you can just download the whole city without dicking around.... it's also fairly accurate at estimating taxi fare." Detailed offline maps, Chinese only.

Honestly though, a full cab in Beijing is not that expensive for each person if traffic is not a concern :downsrim: Well I suppose the subsidized subway is only 2 kuai no matter where you but the time it takes and all is more of a last resort. If you want speed, you can also try taking the airport express rail straight into DongZhiMen.

Does the beijing airport express do group discounts? If not then scratch what I said about the express train.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ReindeerF posted:

I'm glad to hear the map thing is a pan-Asian phenomenon. Cardinal directions are another personal favorite. Somehow people can know what a southern province is and what southern food is, but if you ask them which direction South is, totally lost.

What's the most common direction landmark for the majority of people in China? Here it's the millions of local temples, but I'm guessing it's something different there.

That's not true in mainland. If you ask for directions, they tell you X meters and then point North/South/East/West like some boy scout. Which is really weird instead of listing by street intersections and street blocks

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cabbies are a hit and miss when it comes to giving street names. Best bet is to use a smart phone and have a screen shot of the map, and a few photos for land marks. Oh and..

:siren:Attention goons: For an awesome full goon festival please update goon docs :siren:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao_-L8ioMQ71dEs4V1o4M0x2WFpxSVlkYmVZbjhsc3c#gid=0

Goon docs is out of date :china:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

synertia posted:

Probably open and may even have discounts to attract business.

Typhoon Bar in Wanchai offers discounts during signal 8. Movies are still open, trains and restaurants are still running.

Buses and taxi's are not in service though, so you have to walk.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

The small zoo that you walk past when going up Victoria Peak starting from Central isn't so bad.

Ocean park is a decent place with an amazing aquarium. Beats Disneyland in terms of fun and price.

Nobody cares about us, or the usual answer is "BUT THAT'S HONG KONG SO IT'S DIFFERENT" :smith: Most of the time, people on the internet just like to talk trash about how crazy/different China is.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

I went from knowing gently caress-all Chinese to reading comic books and talking politics in Mandarin in about 6 months.

But I was also in a total Chinese immersion environment with seven hours of study a day and a blood pact to have my only contact with a non-Chinese language be the occasional phone call back to America. 6 months is definitely doable, but you've got to make sacrifices that are just unrealistic if you've come to China for any reason other than learning the language.

Yeah but you also majored in linguistics and studied Japanese for 3 years. I also never heard you use Mandarin in higher level conversations ever :colbert:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Bloodnose is still awesome. He writes better Cantonese than I do. Why doesn't anyone want to speak Mandarin with me :eng99:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Get your numbers down, it's very useful. 一,二,三,四,五, 六,七,八,九,十。Write each character 20 times into a copy book and have it in your muscle memory. You don't want to be that clueless guy who can't read any numbers. I don't even care if you can't say hello, how are you? in Mandarin.

Don't be that dude who spent 3 months of private tutoring but still can't read/write any numbers. You can carry a calculator with you wherever you go, but....

Anyways, report to the Chinese language thread and just ask a bajillion questions like you do here and you will be in good shape.

MeramJert posted:

I literally can't believe you just said the Mandarin dubs of Stephen Chow movies are better. :colbert:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Rabelais D posted:

Wait, that's not an objective fact?!?

:frogout: And I thought, man I haven't seen this goon for ages, let's hang out. MeramJert, please come to HK and take his place, thanks in advance.

Rabelais D posted:

Cantonese, which is just some crappy dialect of the glorious standard language anyway.

:psyduck: :suicide: I'm going to suffer a heart attack.

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 27, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

I wonder what the average Chinese tour to Auschwitz looks like.

Auschwitz would pretty drat low on the list though. There's a lot more to see and do in Europe like buying a truck load of Channel and LV bags. Or see some windmills in the Netherlands. I don't think a memorial over the genocide would be very attractive to the typical tour group. It's also pretty far away too.

As a friend of Judaism, I don't think even I would go to Auschwitz. I went to the Jewish memorial in Berlin and placed a rock.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:barf: I hate roaches, they make my skin crawl. It's weird, once you cross the magical border into China, you see a lot more pests everywhere.

MeramJert posted:

I've also seen people from hubei that can peel a shrimp with their tongue, though.

True signs of a southerner: Hubei is already waaaaaaaay too north. There's the word "north" in it, so that's north enough :downsrim:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Argle, can you quit wechat? It's full and you haven't been using it for ages :eng99:

You need to get lots of borax and mop your floors with it. That way the roaches will dehydrate and die. Some goon in wechat was posting his epic struggle against the gernomino of roaches

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Currently (and until next Saturday evening) in Shanghai, in the Langham at Xintiandi. Visited my best friend's grandmother (whom I have called Wei Po since I was about 10 and she visited us in Australia) this morning, got stared at a lot by her neighbours, and had the greatest dumplings ever fried/steamed for breakfast.

Shanghai is a lot nicer, cleaner, and less crowded than I imagined. I'm almost disappointed, but in a good way. This city rules. If anybody is around, or has suggestions of stuff to do, hit me up in this thread or on PMs.

I agree Shanghai rules, there's a sizable goon crowd in Shanghai so either post here or post in the LAN thread.

Ceciltron posted:

So I'm just about ready to book a flight to Beijing, hoping to take the train from there to Harbin.

How much downtime should I put between the arrival and departure in order to be able to get to the train-station on time/out of the airport? Or should I just buy a ticket on arrival (not my first instinct). Also, anyone have any experience with luggage/baggage on the train network?

I can't wait to begin my happy everyday.

Are you going to be working/studying in Harbin? If you are flying in during the national holidays, train tickets will be hard to book. Better make arrangements!

YF19pilot posted:

Funny you mention it, I'm doing a Skype interview. Otherwise, I take it to be careful about what they promise and expect them to do the opposite if I end up at a lovely franchise. Interview is in 10 minutes, I'll take notes, ask questions, and get back with you guys about it in an hour or so. Looking forward to my happy everyday in the 5000 year history of China.

The YF-21 is way cooler, just saying :colbert: Where in China are you planning to go?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't listen to goldboilermark, he's just missing Worst Muslim and no one can replace the Worst Muslim :ssh:

I would recommend Shanghai/Beijing/Chengdu and of course Hong Kong. There are a lot more things to do, the pay is better and cooler goon crowd :cool:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Guangzhou is supposed to be a first-tier city but it pales in comparison to Shanghai and Beijing. Shenzhen is supposed to be a second tier city but to me it's still a gigantic poo poo hole. Well more like a hole that can randomly open up and swallow you whole.

Ok beijing goons, I will be coming in 17-20 October. You guys know any good places in Wu Dao Kou? I will probably spend a night near there, if you guys got any recommendations for restaurants that would be great. And just for hilarity, some time in propaganda bar.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Really? I thought it's November? drat, we got a few Beijing goons coming in tonight leaving the 4th., and of course their flight is delayed. Oh well I'm still going to go pick them up. I suppose it's another round of goon tag team; some guys coming in when others are going out.

Bottle of fancy Kaya and I will be very very grateful!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

No worries. How much longer are you here for? Likely have CARLS JUNIOR AMERICAN HAMBURGERS on Saturday or Sunday if you are keen.

You forgot to mention Morton's and Awfully chocolate, come on China newbie :smith:

xenilk posted:

Every time I go to China this happens at least once. But it's usually tolerable and happen at night. It's more annoying than anything else but overall it has never stopped me from eating anything over there food-wise.

I got the food shits during my 1st week in corruption free Hong Kong after that my body seemed to adjust

I Greyhound posted:

Just found this thread, four days from a flight to Beijing! I have a sister living there, who is going to be our Beijing host/tour guide, and we're taking two separate excursions to Xi'an and the Li River in the south with a tour company, 12 days total in country. Very excited!

Sounds awesome, right at the end of the national holidays! Are you guys going to Guang Xi Province? There's a fun Beijing goon crowd too, so see if you can them up.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Who the hell believes in the AAAAA travel ratings? But seconding Xingping, Yangshuo is getting over developed. They are all within close reach of each other, really easy to move around.

Oh and with all this travelling across the country side, please don't get stung by any hornets. They are engineered by a secret Japanese spy program called "SENKAKU"

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 4, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can stay in Beijing twice, as long as your final destination is not Beijing, you can stay visa free.

So it doesn't matter what your ticket looks like as long as you are flying off to somewhere else in 3days.

Goons have transited in China for a day or two and then back.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man Chinese wedding drama :qq: I kind of want to go on a rant but don't want to under this account. If someone get me a parachute account I can spill all the beans and of course, awesome lines of amusing Chinese dialogue

Some examples:

四個人之中,他是特別平凡。可能在年小的時候,他燒了太多。

Out of all 4 siblings, he's the most simple minded. Perhaps his head got a bit too hot when he was young.

How to say "your relatives are trash":

Well I see you have a lively crowd and lots of relatives. Isn't that nice, but your newly wed husband is like an innocent rabbit. If you throw him to the den of lions, he's going to get mauled so you better protect him :smug:

When the other family has already tipped and but are very stingy

"Well the other family were gracious enough to tip. This family is happy for the marriage too so will tip separately. We enjoyed the hospitality of the restaurant and wish everyone to be happy"

Underhanded comment:

:j: I'm drinking real alcohol, how about you guys
:v: I'm always the real deal, I'm never a small fry

I may be fluent in English, but sometimes I wish my English is as sharp as my Cantonese. To me, higher level of Chinese culture is to be as underhanded passively aggressive as possible without other people knowing you are being passive aggressive. Just acting all snarky and :smug: all the way when everyone else is oblivious.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Send them a photo of yourself next to the resume just to clear things up?

Just stick around, you will be able to find a job. Somehow. Internet posts here and there are good foot in the doors. Network your way around, don't be a drunken douche bag then you can move up. Or just avoid teaching altogether, come on here on a Chinese scholarship, pick up mandarin and other skills, then find some employment.

Magna can fill you in on the non teaching job part. And other goons can highlight more on the CSC.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fake_roogle posted:

I live in 五道口, I'm sure I could give John (建明儿儿儿儿儿~~~~) a holler and we can meet up and be bad enough guys to save the president. He doesn't drink though, but that's okay. FearCotton's post is pretty accurate, there's a couple of other spots like an all you can eat sushi place (58 RMB/pp, 2 hour limit, unlimited drinks included) that is a favourite haunt of ours. It's a bit of a distance from the subway but either walking or getting a cab is trivial. The quality is what you'd expect from a place that pushes quantity rather than quality, but it's hard to argue with the price. I was about to suggest a good Canto chain and then I remembered that you're coming from HK... Regardless! If you're up for it, I'm sure we can arrange some general tomfoolery.

also i'm sorry for posting in the old wechat group like once a year :(

Awesome, goon is still alive.

Yeah next Friday goon meet Beijing. Time for me to experience some amazing pollution :china: So I'm thinking of :catdrugs: laser tag :catdrugs: and going to a duck place. I know not everyone likes to drink so we can gather at awfully chocolate. Or got to great leap brewery and drink soda.

Anyways will write more soon. I'm going to Shenzhen/Guangzhou for 2 days :ohdear:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm not exactly sure if/how my Chinese ATM card works, how much is your virtual item? Why don't you just buy OPPAI mouse pads like the rest of us?

Or you can ask a random goon here

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh forgot to post here , Beijing goon meet Friday 630pm, kros nest san li tun. Everyone welcome!
I use to root for hanting all seasons but I ran out of luck... oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

tacoman165 posted:

it's because I've been there done that.

Nothing I've said will change your mind, though, so I'll just go ahead and say I told you so.

As long as he doesn't turn into an alcoholic he should be surviving.

Short hours per week may sound great but beware of teaching mostly at night and weekends. That really sucks out the quality of your free time. I rather opt for salary man hours. That way you can still provision time to do stuff with other people. If none of your evenings are free then you can't really go out with your girlfriend or gooooonz for dinner. Which to me means a disaster for your relationship