Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arakan posted:

did your boss ever pay you?

Eventually, yes. It was sort of tense. Back in June, my supervisor (not the principal) told me that the students were all busy reviewing for exams, and if I didn't have anything going on, I could "go take a vacation." I was suspicious, of course, and tried very hard to get him to confirm that this was, in fact, a paid vacation and he was still going to give me all of the money that I was entitled to. I forget exactly how the conversation went, but I remember walking away confident that he was going to give me all of the money stipulated in my contract. So, of, about 36 hours before I had to catch my flight back home, at about 6:20, after I had left the school to go meet my friends, he called me and told me he wasn't actually going to pay me for the last month, because I hadn't taught any classes. My first class was July 17th of 2013, and my last day before I took this vacation was June 20th of this year, but you know, close enough.

I argued that it was a 12 month contract, that he had never said that taking nine days off to go on vacation meant forfeiting an entire month of pay, and that before I agreed to take the vacation, I had showed him a list of all of the pay periods I had worked, which ones I had been paid for, and for which ones he still owed me, and made sure we were still on the same page, and he had confirmed it. Finally, I pointed out that my contract actually included more than enough paid vacation days to cover my trip anyway. He argued that I had been in China so long I should have known that "would you like to take a vacation?" meant "we're just going to stop paying you." He claimed that he had agreed to pay me for all 12 pay periods because he hadn't realized that I hadn't had class in July, and he said that I hadn't taken those accumulated vacation days.

That last part was really dumb and revealed a lot about his thinking. "Hey, if we look at this as just ending the contract a month early, New Coke will have just finished his contract without using any vacation days," but of course he didn't phrase it like that when he offered me the vacation and why the hell would I have agreed to it?

We were at an impasse: I was obviously right, but there was gently caress all I could do about it. We agreed to talk with the principal the next day (24 hours before I would have to catch my flight), who simply told me that he would check my contract. Eventually, he and my supervisor both told me with delighted smiles that - even though I hadn't worked in the last month - they would pay me after all. I thanked them profusely, even though I knew drat well I was right, and left with everything I wanted and on good terms with my bosses. They encouraged me to recommend them to other foreigners; I'll let you make up your own minds on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

quote:

If you don't mind my asking, what company was this? Or were you hired on direct with a school?

I was hired through a company here in Canada. The school was 28 Middle School, Shijiazhuang, Hebei. It was a public school with two campuses and includes junior and senior high. I taught at the high school.

For what it's worth, I don't regret it at all; I really liked my bosses and co-workers, and they did ultimately give me everything that I was entitled to. It was just, you know, tense.

New Coke fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 20, 2014