Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
A tip: don't get a VPN as soon as you get here. Don't even worry about it. Instead, explore the native Chinese alternatives to the websites that you think you need a VPN for. These include:

www.youku.com Their version of youtube which often has the same stuff as youtube.
www.weibo.com China's Twitter/Facebook hybrid. Not nearly as useless as Twitter, because you can say a lot more with 140 Chinese characters than you can with 140 letters.
v.360.cn Pretty much any TV show in the world, quickly streamed and at your fingertips.
mp3.baidu.com Stream just about any song in the world for free.

If you need help, ask one of your students or a friend to help you figure these out. They will usually be overjoyed to help you understand the Chinese internet, which is becoming more and more integral to understanding Chinese culture and language. If you just want a VPN to torrent videogames, cut that poo poo out and go outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

LentThem posted:

These are good websites, and I have a few to add:

www.xiami.com and www.1ting.com are streaming music sites with a pretty surprising selection. These are also great if I want to show a certain song to a coworker.

www.verycd.com Originally I used this site for eMule downloads, but now the site is pretty great for streaming both Chinese and foreign TV shows and movies, since the linked videos will usually have Chinese subtitles so you can watch with your friends! Another trick is to use this site to find the Chinese name of a show or movie, which you can then paste into video.baidu.com to watch.

club.pchome.net If SA is down for updates or something, you can check out KDS for your forum needs. It has a lot of goony Shanghai dudes and an overwhelming number of boards, but some of the posts are pretty funny and you can learn slang to impress your students or something (for example, this old HOLY CRAP I SAW NICHOLAS CAGE IN SHANGHAI thread http://club.pchome.net/thread_1_15_7618466.html).

Even with these websites, I'd suggest finding a VPN option. Certain news websites, blogs, and imgur links won't be available without one. It can also make Google searches slow or impossible. You'll also need it if you want to access Google-cached pages.

Thanks for this informative addition, these are all great sites as well. You got me to try Xiaomi again and it really does have everything.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Posting to say that Xishuangbanna is awesome and worth visiting. Make sure you see the botanical gardens.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kikuchiyo posted:

One other general question, as I've never been to the south of China before - do most people still speak pretty standard mandarin there? I've spent most of my time in China up north in Tianjin/Beijing, so I'm used to the way northerners speak with all the "arrrrrr" and that sort of thing. Especially down in Xishuangbanna - will it be easy to communicate in Beijing-style mandarin with people there?

edit: VVVV - I think I would break my old Chinese teacher's heart if I ever did that. One of his favorite pastimes in class included heaping scorn upon people who did not speak northern-style Mandarin

Being in a similar boat, I found that I could usually make myself understood when speaking putonghua, and would even get comments like "your Mandarin is better than mine" from the locals.

EDIT: Reindeer is a great poster, don't bring irrelevant bullshit into this thread please.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 12, 2013

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

goldboilermark posted:

We have two big bathrooms, three bedrooms, a patio, a sunroom, a nice kitchen and it came with a big screen and it is 6,000/month for everything. Each roommate pays 2,000/month.

Tianjin is dirt cheap. And I love it.

Live in Wuhan. I had better than that for free with no roommates. :)

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't blame you. I worked for a decent college, but I did not receive a Western salary. Too bad no amount of money can buy decent air in China.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

BadAstronaut posted:

Oh you got to me, that much is clear. The way you quoted a post I made some months earlier when you made me lose it - so you made it your mission to troll and troll and troll until I lost it? Good job.

And like the loser you are, you still spend your time trolling online and posting retarded selfies instead of trying to do anything to improve your life huh? A+ there, son. Good job on working in China - how's that working out for you? Read again: loser.

This is awful. Please pay to change your name to BadPoster.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Teleportation is taking opiates on long haul flights. There is no substitute. I scoff when my friends don't follow my advice and take sleeping pills instead.

Had an injury or need some dental work done? Many dentists these days will give you a small amount of 10mg hydrocodone if you indicate that you've had pain issues in the past after a filling. Save these until your next flight. Make sure to save all the paperwork too, just in case you are asked for it. (I never have been)

I stay up the night before a flight because I have no trouble sleeping on airplanes even when undrugged, and I arrive a little bit early and am usually the last to board. Recently I've had incredible luck with intercontinental flights giving me a whole row to myself.

Wait an hour, maybe two, until boredom starts to set in. Pop two pills. Life is wonderful. Doze off. Wake up four hours later. Everything is excellent forever. Pop another pill. I am a skylord. Sleep more. Wake up four hours later, take one more pill, then sleep til landing. Deplaning and getting to my final destination is a breeze for me because of the warm, lovely afterglow permeating my being.

Never not fly with opiates. If you can't get a scrip then kratom works too, but don't use it if you have a tendency to get airsick. You will definitely puke.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 25, 2014

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've probably mentioned this in the thread before, but you will legitimately make more friends and learn more Chinese if you spend less time inside on the internet. This will in turn lead to more job opportunities (关系). I'm sure you all have smart phones for your internet social needs anyway, I certainly did. Go outside, watch what's on TV and learn some new lingo (SO FASHION!), read a book, do some studying.

Think of the possibilities!

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

caberham posted:

But yeah, but you should rather be the party pooping unsuave guy bringing up "the talk" than running along ambiguities. Don't be that rear end in a top hat leading the other person on for short term gratification.

Caberham is correct. On the other hand, if you aren't willing to be that rear end in a top hat, someone else certainly will be. That's one of the saddest things I realized while living in China.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am considering a return to dear old China. I am a native English speaker also fluent in Chinese, and have two years of English teaching experience from kindergarten to postgrad in Wuhan.

Any posters know of good jobs?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

goldboilermark posted:

Ok again my company is hiring and I'm the person in charge of recruitment so if people are looking for work I'm happy to help or at least give you an interview. Tianjin is overflowing with jobs, I'm helping recruitment for another company here as well and I am offered part time to fulltime jobs on a monthly basis that I don't even go looking for. There is a shortage of qualified people here in Tianjin for work if people are interested in coming to China to work.

Yep, I posted before reading the last few pages. Your situation is similar to mine when I was in Wuhan, and I still have contacts there, but I am thinking that I should probably expand my horizons beyond Wuhan. I am researching Tianjin now. How is the pollution? Wuhan was livable, but any worse may be a dealbreaker.

I fell in love with Kunming when traveling through, but the salaries there are quite low, even for teachers.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Not interacting with people would definitely improve things around here.

Nothing will allow me to link my bank to Alipay and it won't accept a passport as ID and nobody in my office can figure out anything so this is yet another thing that is going to be multiple days of me being angry and nothing ever being accomplished. This is the top thing I hate about China. More than the pollution, more than the driving, more than the zombie staring. Basic tasks that take five minutes in a real country are rendered as difficult as humanly possible.

Do you speak Chinese? Are you learning?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

No and yes. That's not the issue though. I've had Chinese speakers with me for the majority of this stuff and it doesn't help. I also moved to Korea speaking no Korean and had some of this sort of thing given the general love of inefficiency/nobody having a clue how to do their loving jobs around here but it was nowhere near as bad as in China.

It is an unavoidable fact of living there, that's for sure. I did notice that once I was confident in my Chinese taking care of things myself was a lot faster and easier, though.

GBM: Is your WeChat name HuoQiao Jobjed lol? I can't find you. My name is Longanimitas, add me and we will chat about employment.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

goldboilermark posted:

Yes, you can just simply make up work history, I've seen it done before. No one checks that. But unless you're going to photoshop your degree, like you said, you're kinda boned. If someone is graduating this year or last year and wants to come to China to teach English, they legally will not be able to get a Z-visa. Anyone that tells them otherwise is lying.

This is my understanding coming from Tianjin, maybe Zhuhai is different.

What is your WeChat name? I don't have PMs.

Also, when I first taught in 2010-11 in Wuhan I taught postgraduate students at one of the best public universities in the province and I had only graduated a few months earlier. Is this two-year requirement a new thing?

I miss that job, it was fun taking students from "Why should we listen to you? We are older than you" to "Nobody ever showed me literature like you have. Thanks so much!"