Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey SB35, can you add the Chinese cooking thread to the OP? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

This made me look at the receipt I got from the PSB on Monday. My school told me I'd get it monday and I just assumed that was true... but on a second look:

Oh China!

It is July 19th. It is the future.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Looks like Chinese to me.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mongolia has always been a part of China, and anyone suggesting anything else is a revisionist lapdog of capitalism.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I swam in a pool in Chengdu today and I'm pretty sure it's the talk of the town. There was a small crowd (5 people).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Every goddamn convenience store in Chengdu is only putting expensive waters in the coolers. Like 15rmb. Cheap beers in the cooler, though.

Even Jilin street cooler water was 6RMB,wgat the hell.

Also Arglebargle check your weixin.

Also I'm bad at ktv. But good at drinking baijiu. Today I hugged pandas and pushed Chinese away when exiting the subway. Am I experiencing true China.

Add me to the group chat, Jeohist is my id I think. Also I have Chinaphone but I don't know my number.

Chengdu is cool guys, come visit!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mt Emei may be open 24/7, but the ticket office certainly isn't! gently caress, I was hoping for a nice nighttime hike.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I think baijiu is pretty okay but I'm in the ghetto of Panzhihua and people keep walking in and GAMBEI and soon I will die.

The toothpaste here is black and I slept in the old school hard sleeper without airco and with people opening windows (at night, are people here loving retarded or deaf?).

Overall I quite like China :) ymmv

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Peking is still the Dutch name for Beijing even though it sounds nothing alike.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Marlboro for the guys, Godiva for the girls, milk powder for the moms.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe we should move housing chat to LAN? Here, have some China.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

What the hell are those symbols at the top?

It's the Yi script! They look like Old Norse characters.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's tofu with yellow colouring.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I saw limes at the Carrefour near Tongzilinbeilu or however you call it in your pinyin thingiemabob.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Edit: New page. Where do you get limes in Chengdu? Serious.

Jeoh posted:

I saw limes at the Carrefour near Tongzilinbeilu or however you call it in your pinyin thingiemabob.

There's also a semi-decent TexMex place nearby. And a nice KTV!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

Ah, didn't see that. Tongzilin has all the nice stuff. You still in Chengdu?
Nah, back in Holland. Would've loved to stay for another month but alas, I must work.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Those crossbows are really poo poo, goddamn. Can't even raise them up to proper height.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I flew Delta once because it was a KLM codeshare. I don't know what happened to the stewardesses but I ended up pretending only to speak Dutch so I got actual decent service. gently caress me, even the TSA interview (yay SSSS) was more friendly.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Revolutionary ice cream!

How do you even eat pizza with chopsticks? I introduced pizza to my gf's parents who had never tried it before and just showed them that they can use their hands. Went down well!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You never have anything to declare at customs and if you're caught just tell them it's a mistake and give them a cigarette package.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cool beans, Caberham. Let me know when you're here and I'll show you around and stuff.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Indonesia is not Chinese territory, Caberham.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Copypaste from the Chinese Language Thread:

quote:

This is a pretty big question, especially if you're starting out. Which set to learn?! Well, the answer is easy: both!

The PRC, aka 99% of all Mandarin speakers, uses simplified for almost everything. Taiwan, Hong Kong, and most overseas Chinese communities stick with traditional. Simplified is obviously much more prevalent, but you'll see traditional a fair bit as well. A general agreed upon rule of thumb is be able to read both but it's alright if you can only write simplified. Most Taiwanese and HKers write in a very messy shorthand cursive script anyway, so even they agree traditional is 太麻烦 (That's Chinese for “too much drat trouble”!) when being written.

For this reason, it's of many people's opinion that you go and learn traditional off the bat. It's a common subject of debate, but many people agree it's easier to start with traditional and move over to simplified than vice versa.

I'm thinking about getting to a conversational level (which I guess is HSK4?) so at least I can tell people to do things other than 肏你妈. Unfortunately the self-study part of the thread is empty :(

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Listen buddy, the more three letter acronyms I can slap on my resume, the bigger my ego.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Here's what you do: Get a tourist visa. Book a hotel and cancel it when you get your visa. When you arrive in China, go to the local PSB with two passport-sized photos, a copy of your ID and a copy of the ID of the person living there (you also bring this person) to register as a laowai tourist.

Don't get the 'visiting relatives' visa, it's a big headache. You might be able to skip the registration but it just takes a few minutes and lets you experience Chinese bureaucracy!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't forget you need a copy of the invitee's passport and visa for the letter of invitation.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You should be making your own yoghurt anyway.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

loving everything gets you 'a cold' in China.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hong Kong could use some cultural revolution.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Whoa dude, don't go hooking up with people's mother-in-law.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I stayed at the Ibis near Sanyuanqiao for half a week, it was comfortable enough and easy to find for cab drivers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Have you been to Kung Pao??? It is my hometown.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wonder what the average Chinese tour to Auschwitz looks like.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Argle, can you quit wechat? It's full and you haven't been using it for ages :eng99:

Look at these China goons, using inferior software. KakaoTalk or bust!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Going to my girlfriend's friend's wedding, it was really weird when I heard the World of Warcraft theme and apparently we had to trick them into drinking some disgusting drink with the most horrible ingredients (dark soy sauce, baijiu, other random poo poo)??? I don't understand but I got really drunk and said 干杯 a lot.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You can just use a credit card, you know. The option is well hidden, but it's there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

But it needs to be a Unionpay card or otherwise affiliated with a Chinese bank. I doubt anyone outside of China has a unionpay credit card.

My MasterCards worked fine. Comrade PPL just posted instructions, praise be upon his visionary leadership.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My girlfriend and I have started selling milk powder to mainland Chinese. So easy, so profitable, and because of my white face I'm not subject to the limits at the stores :)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Meter? I hardly knew her! :downsrim:

Made my very first baozi this morning. gently caress I missed that stuff, this is going to be my breakfast forever now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'll give you 4000 steamed pork buns and 50 unbound Liang.