Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Question to chinagoons: my brother and I might head to beijing for mid-autumn festival (starts on Wednesday the 16th, we'll arrive on Thursday, and leave on Sunday).

What will Beijing be like during this time? If it is anything like here in Korea (where everything, including museums, stores, restaurants, etc. shuts down) I might head to Nagoya, Japan instead.

Flight is slightly cheaper to Beijing and a Beijing trip is long overdue, but I want to do it properly, so I would appreciate any advice.

TIA!

edit: We are interested in cultural stuff (food, museums, tourist sites etc.) rather than clubs, bars, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I've changed CAD at Chungking mansions before.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The national and war museums in Seoul are top notch. Gyeongju is accessible by the bullet train and is the ancient capital, has old royal tomb mounds and stuff. Quiet little town.

the dude is tired and burnt out I doubt a trip to gyeongju on a 3 day trip to Korea is a good idea. OP if it were me I'd spend the few extra days in Hong Kong and take it slow. Has awesome food and there's plenty to see and do (I know I wouldn't be happy with just 2 days). If you do decide to come to Korea, Seoul or Busan are good choices. Jeju is also good for beaches but then you'd have to rent a car and it's harder to just "walk around" and people watch because everything is spread apart.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Have you guys even tried the metro in other Asian cities? HK MTR is nice but I can hardly see how it is "the best"

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

Stringent posted:

Fixed that for you.

Tokyo's reach is amazing but having two different systems running (and having to pay twice in an already expensive system) kind of ruins it.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Pointless topic but please let me continue. Things I did not like about the Hong Kong subway:

1) it doesn't even cover all of Hong Kong? I think I heard the new stations opened but it wasn't that long ago I had to workout the minibuses to get to Sai yingpun, HKU. It also does no good in getting you to Soho or Happy Valley. South side of the island has no subway. I don't know enough but I imagine the north side of the city is not covered very well either.
2) the actual zoo experience of taking the subway. Tokyo and Seoul has the cramped cars too but at least they don't have roped up areas in the stations so people won't trample each other. Also being able to transfer trains without changing floors is nice...except when it's you on the train with the people zombie rushing you so they don't miss their trains and you are hoping the doors close before they get on. The escalators are so fast I'm surprised nobody gets killed on it.
3) Poorly planned stations like the East TST-TST or Central-Hk station transfers.
4) I may be wrong but the stations didn't have any lockers I could store my bags in.
5) The subway line from the airport is pretty unintuitive.

Now I can see if you were a local pretty much none of these points would bother you, but I really think you guys give it too much credit.

/shitpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Do you guys see a noticeable difference when running an air purifier? Also how do you make an air purifier?