Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Aero737 posted:

Welp. About to travel to China for the first time in 8 years. Taking off on 11/4. I lost all WeChat pay capabilities when I converted from Weixin to Wechat several years back. How hosed am I if I just try and rely on cash?

Lots of places probably won't have change, you're kinda rolling the dice of a place being epayment only. Can you set up Alipay? They take foreign Visa cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I’ve been thinking about visiting China. No idea where really, just getting into the logistics of it

From what I can divine in the last couple pages and comparing to the first post, … it sounds like in ~ 10 years cash has gone from being the predominant way of buying things, to almost alien??? That’s wild

Anyway what’s this about random drug testing? I’d never pass that. Is it seriously something to consider?

Is there a …more up to date source of ‘hey dummy here’s what you need to know visiting China’ source?

So:
1. Figure out where the closest Chinese consulate is to you, find the application for a tourist visa, fill it out. Before you go you need to have your flight in, flight out, and a hotel for every place you go to for every day of the trip already purchased (if you're taking a train overnight they seem to be ok with a 1 day gap). If you're going to multiple cities and commuting by train that's fine, you'll just need to sign something saying "I will go between cities x/y/z on train"
2. Print the application and any other documents you need out, and schedule an appointment with the consulate
3. Go to the consulate, bring your application/documents/passport/sukodu or a book to read (at least in NYC your phone needs to be fully turned off when you're inside the consulate). Make sure you have everything you need printed, you cannot email the consulate stuff and have them print it there. Worst case, if you forgot something you need to print, leave and ask around, there's a good chance there's a little store nearby that lets you print stuff (there's a bodega by the nyc consulate that will let you air print for a buck or two)
4. Sit in a litany of lines. Eventually go through every paper like 3 times with 2 different people. Pay like 400 bucks. Hand over your passport, and get a little receipt for it
5. Keep your phone off silent, wait for a call. Sometimes they email, but usually they'll call from numbers with weird area codes to tell you that your visa is ready, or that there's a problem
6. Go back in, get your passport back with the visa inserted

Also yeah that's weird I didn't get it ever hear about a random drug screening. That said, do not gently caress with drugs in China, don't buy them, don't do them, don't bring them, don't accept them from anyone.

For payments:
- p much everyone takes Alipay or WeChat. Alipay you can easily set up with a us card. WeChat is tougher because you need someone to scan your WeChat code when you're first registering. I guess ask around here, see if someone will scan you in? You absolutely need at least one though, because
- China runs on miniapps. Basically, you'll scan a QR code in WeChat or Alipay and get sent to a little applet where you can order food or make a reservation or register health data.
- download and set up DiDi. It's Chinese Uber, works great, very cheap
- Apple Maps works pretty well for public transit everywhere but Hong Kong, because HK is a bullshit maze town
- keep a bit of cash around to get subway and bus passes, sometimes they don't take Alipay, or at least not foreign card Alipay
- in fact, keep in mind anything you can rent with an app, you probably won't have access too without a Chinese bank account linked Alipay/wechat. This includes those rentable phone chargers and scooters
- I don't have a good link for it, but there are HK esims for sale that will give you cheap unlimited unfirewalled data in China. Most us cell providers have a 10 dollar roaming option that's also unfirewalled, but it's usually only a gig or two
- like any foreign country where you don't know the language, download a few translator apps, get used to using them, download Chinese to be used offline
- try to learn a bit of the language before you get there, even just "thank you" is nice to have. I like HelloChinese if you want an app.
- lastly, I swear my phone burns through battery so much faster in China. Bring a portable charger in your pocket, existing in China with a dead phone is hard

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

thank you

...just to be clear, i should purchase flight/hotel/etc. entirely before i even apply for a visa?? I mean, I guess i'm just screwed if my visa is denied? seems unlikely of course, but that's gonna be a significant cash outlay.

i'm less interested in major cities than i am nature/mountains/small towns/etc. but i know speaking zero chinese will make it harder to get out. i'm looking into it though.

shanghai/shenzen is cool i'm sure, but i live in nyc and don't make it a point to visit other large cities more than a day or two

You need reservations, but if you change or cancel them after you get the visa they don't really care. I think they just want to know that you have money to get a place to stay and leave the country when you're out.

Also at least look around the cities a bit, I'm in Manhattan and Chinese cities are way cooler and cleaner than NYC

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

Make sure your hotel accepts foreigners. If it's a major western chain, like a Marriott or Hilton, in a major city you can be almost sure that they do. But some independent hotel in a small town may not. I don't know how many hotels still aren't set up for police registration but it doesn't hurt to confirm.

For the flight you can buy a refundable ticket, and then after you have a visa buy the cheaper non-refundable ticket and refund the original ticket.

Hilton at the least will reach out if you book them and they can't take foreigners, a Hilton in Shanghai did that for me and I was able to cancel and rebook elsewhere

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

wtf that’s wild. Is that a case of ‘Hilton’ in China being a licensed subsidiary and not Hilton corporate properties? This stuff is all fascinating to me

Yeah I have a lot to learn. Thank you for regurgitating to me little things I would never think of, like whether or not hotels accept foreigners. I’ve only travelled to countries that are wildly accommodating to Americans

Yeah it was weird to me too, I mostly went with Hilton specifically because I didn't think that would be an issue. Yet:

quote:

Warm Greeting from Hilton Garden Inn Shanghai Lujiazui !
来自上海陆家嘴新梅希尔顿花园酒店的问候 !

According to local government regulations, Our hotel temporarily only able to accommodate guests with Hong Kong and Macao residents traveling to mainland pass, Taiwan certificate and Mainland China ID or Chinese Passport.
在进一步计划您的行程之前,请您了解本酒店目前暂时仅可接待持有港澳通行证,台胞证或中国身份证及中国护照的宾客入住。

Another note I forgot that someone mentioned up thread, if you need to book a train, use trip.com. They're the English version of some Chinese company so the train stuff is seamless. They also sometimes have tickets to museums and stuff, but that's also often handled in miniapps that are Chinese only you need to screenshot and translate. Worst case, book a nicer hotel and ask someone at the front desk for help booking tickets.

For trains:
-sleepers are 4 to a room. Bring ear plugs/sleep mask/a smaller bag to keep with you that has whatever you'll need to get to sleep versus your big bag you'll put away. Also, if you can, try to wash up or at least bring wet wipes for your feet before the train, I felt like a big time rear end in a top hat getting in after a day of hiking through tea plantations and temples
-first class seats are bomb, it's a crazy spaceship lazy boy deal. Sometimes you find them for like 30 bucks, worth the experience once or twice
-try to book ahead, there are a lot of trains but the cheaper seats can fill up quickly

Actually question for the thread, is there a Chinese yelp equivalent?

uninterrupted fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 13, 2024

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

a7m2 posted:

Booking.com is Dutch. I think you mean trip.com
Yes! Lemme fix that

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

How long does (tourist) visa issuance tend to take? Does it cause problems/delays if you've been to Taiwan before? There are ROC stamps in my current passport, so definitely no avoiding them knowing. I see there's a Past Travel section in the application, but annoyingly I can't see what's in it without filling in everything else first, which I don't really want to do until I have a better sense of whether I'm going to do this trip. (got laid off, want to head over on short enough notice that I'm not staying out of work for months waiting for approval)

Also, I'm the kind of person that likes the unusual, distinct or remote regions of countries (I made it to Greenland before Denmark proper, included Christmas Island on my Australia tour, etc). I am guessing it would be frowned upon for an American to say I want to check out Tibet and Xinjiang... Is it even worth looking for a place that will host a foreigner in either of those places? Are there any other similarly distinct but less sensitive parts of the country you could recommend?

Alternatively, seems like Hainan has their visa-on-arrival thing going again. Might consider going to a different SE Asian country, but dropping in there for a bit. Is there anything interesting there, or is it VoA precisely because it's a blandly anodyne tourist park full of carefully managed money-extracting bullshit?

Lots of other people should be able to chime in, but my visa took like 10 days because I had a criminal charge I had to send paperwork in for. I don't imagine having been to Taiwan would cause you as much trouble.

Your post is a little unclear but if you're going there unemployed and they find that out, that would be a much bigger issue. Chinas big on making sure you can gently caress off home once your trip is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Qubee posted:

As someone who does not drink at all, is Chinese barbeque marinated in alcohol or something? Because twice now I've eaten it during my stay, and twice it has mildly affected me.

It reminds me of when I'd make bolognese, the red wine in the sauce would be enough to get me just the slightest bit tipsy.

You can keep an eye out for halal places, there's a lot of halal bbq stalls and they wont marinade with alcohol