Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Who has been to Mongolia, I'm looking at a trip Aug. 10-18. Too long? What's the main draw? Expensive? I figure if prices for Vietnam have risen to the price of Mongolia, I might as well go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I refuse to pay $200+ for a single entry visa. Inner Mongolia is still China right?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

There appear to be no threads talking about Mongolia at all. When you guys go for your visa run is it just across the border or to Ulaanbataar?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

GuestBob posted:

That's because Mongolia is the unspoiled backpacker frontier of Northern Asia and we want to keep it all for ourselves so it doesn't get over-run like Laos.

Oh, how do I get in the cool kids club? Do I go and do everything the hard way and then come back a second time?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

GuestBob posted:

I just have no idea why you'd Mongolia over Vietnam. I mean, I could play Devil's advocate and find some pretty plausible excuses, but endless steppe, flies and drunken poverty don't exactly sound like a holiday to me and I am pretty sure the Mongolia has all of those.

Serious question, do you like horses?

I really don't like paying 2x the price I saw before I found out my vacation days for tickets to Vietnam. I've seen pretty pictures of Mongolia and I'm partially from the Great Plains in the states. I miss open space and Mongolia seems like a place that has to have something interesting, at least in my head. Also, maybe a job search there? I also really want to ride horses again, I know this isn't likely, but at least I'd be Big Sky and horse adjacent.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

It seems the thing to do is hire a driver or rent a motorcycle. I'm too cheap for a driver, don't know anyone there, and I don't know how to ride a motorcycle and riding and camping alone in the countryside doesn't sound wise.

I live in Seoul so Ulaanbataar might not be too bad, but I don't want to spend 9 days there.

Might save it for a trip with a buddy next year.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Oh I meant the claim that if I was a Plains man I might find the city to be too much. But crazy dirty city with lots of people isn't a problem. Don't doubt the driving will terrify me.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I'll save Mongolia for when I have more than 9 days of vacation and I can dragoon my Russian American friend into coming. I'd go to Yunnan if I already had a china visa and had a Chinese speaker with me. I suppose there's no getting around $700-800 for Vietnam this season. Even Malaysia is 700.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Wait, does this mean that in China 40/45/50 minute classes don't equal 1 hour? You guys work more than I thought you do, or rather I work less. A few places in Korea do it that weird way, that's how I got stuck teaching 40 classes when I only actually taught 30 hours. Sneaky Christian bastards.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

One job was teaching 45 classes at 50 minutes each. Yeah even in the public schools, quality is a joke.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

For the last 10 or 15 of those you're drooling and gibbering like an idiot, right?

It's not so bad it's just a middle class kindie (I mean who doesn't want to teach little kids of parents who come from poverty but are in a social circle enough to be bluntly and aggressively ambitious without the training) and young elementary school. You're cool with taking home grading and planning and reports right? Even interviewing for that job exhausted me.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Hey maybe he's taking a baller expat package. I'm not going to begrudge a guy trying to get a slice of the old days.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The bigger shock is... The Chinese can swim? I don't think I know any Koreans who can.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Only small children with floatation devices. The adults stand or just stay out of the pool. Hopefully the next generation will teach itself to swim. :unsmith:

I went out with a girl from Harbin in part because she was learning how to swim.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Dilber posted:

My old apartment complex in Beijing which I lived in for 3 years had a full sized indoor heated olympic swimming pool, 2 tennis courts, 2 basketball courts, 1 soccer field, and a full clubhouse with karaoke rooms, racquetball courts pool tables, ping pong tables, and other poo poo all for under 5k a month.

Dunno where you guys were looking.

Under 5k? I live in one of the poorest areas of Seoul, but up and coming apparently :rolleyes:, and I get places where I can almost lay across the room and touch both sides for the cheap cheap price of 4k rmb with 110k rmb deposit. Please clean up the air so I can come over. Please.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What's the percentage of allowable diesel in baiju? I kind of prefer baiju to soju sometimes because at least it's potent.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What if you out the filter on the back where that type of fan is flatter, it would suck air in through the filter and blow out clean air instead of blowing dirty air through the filter.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Hey that 1:30-2:30 nap is a proud cultural tradition, also the mid morning nap and the lunch nap and after lunch nap and the post after lunch nap. At least in Korea, i hear it's similar in China. It's like working with less efficient Italians.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Frankly it's easier to eat chicken wings and ribs and pizza with chopsticks than have to deal with the table wide interrogation. How do they eat fruit pieces there? I always grasp with the chopsticks, but I see everyone else stabbing.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Umm... Just pick it up? You can grab the end or you can fold if you must. It's a bit hard with our small smooth metal chopsticks, but not impossible. Should be easy with wooden ones.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Ceciltron posted:

I'm from Quebec, Canada -I'm bringing my own. We like it cold.

I'm saving this quote for January, I'll bring it back then.

SB35 another ND there are more of us?

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 11, 2013

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What does "I'm a sunshine girl from China" mean?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Lesson learned. NEVER read China thread while eating Korean school lunch. Now I feel sick and need to drink hot water.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Someone you trust OR a goon haha

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I spent 2 years trying to get my cards because my address is never short enough in Romanized Korean to fit in the system. For a international bank i find that absurd. I eventually moved and got my debit card but the system that the debit card office uses allows for more characters than the credit card office the next office over.

I need to leave phone numbers off to otherwise they just call and yell at me in fast old man Korean. Kind of glad it's the same in China.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Why the hell would you enter a foreign address on a US account? That's just like, begging for problems.

Um... Because we want that package. Where else do you send it? Check your reliable family privilege.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Does anyone know anything about the ChinaX online course that HarvardX is doing? I signed up and might start on the readings soon, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the professors.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Has anyone applied and received a multi entry yearlong visa as an American? I need it for travel and interviews. The embassy in Korea doesn't handle visas and the travel agencies here don't want to do multi entry. At least I haven't convinced them yet.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Would it be better to get some barely passable Russian?

I had this crazy idea of renting/buying then selling a motorcycle with a friend and going around that way for 2 weeks.

Pickpocketing stories made me think, is it safe to camp out wherever you stop. I know it's legal to camp wherever, but should i worry about highwaymen?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

It was 70 the other day in Seoul and I died and cried. 15 today, much better but getting cold as gently caress. How did Harbin goon survive, i can't imagine Chinese window and door technology is that far ahead of Korea (my curtain ripples in front of a closed 2 year old window.)

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is Kunming doable on a stopover? Might do one of the Chinese airlines to get 20 hours in Kunming and Guangzhou with the temporary visa/permit. Still can't figure out a multiple entry year long tourist visa.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What is that mask I should be buying again. In Seoul and you're drat China air is killing me.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Don't listen to GrandFromage I'd much rather have a 150aqi day in China than Korea. Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Japan were all better than Seoul when the aqi was the same. I start feeling lovely when outside at around 70.

We did have a big coal cloud roll through though. I couldn't see some of the buildings in front of my apartment. It was bad for 2 or 3 days and gathered in the valleys making its way South. My friends school was in one such valley and he had never seen anything that wasn't vibrant there. It was fun seeing him 'uncomfortable'.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Hitting that cultural fatigue, professionally at least, over here. You've got an air mattress (a few couches too) in Seoul.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Spiderjelly posted:

One good thing about China is that I live in a four bedroom apartment by myself. Suck it, Korea.

E: and thanks

Air mattress... :pop: :commissar:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is there anyone in Nanjing or anyone who wants to travel from Shanghai to Nanjing? I'll likely be there from January 11 at noon till 800 am on January 12(I'll buy tomorrow once I hear back from the thread, i assume i can get a bus there and stay out all night or maybe take a taxi.).

I can get from Nanjing Airport to the city pretty easily right?

We can still get temporary stay permits?

Does anyone who wants to meet me need or want anything from Korea?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Goon meet Nanjing?

January 11 or 12?

Do places in China stay open till like 4 or 5am. I think the buses won't be running, so I'll have to take a taxi. What are the chances of a taxi screwing me on fair like a Japanese tourist in Seoul?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Is there anything I need or can prepare in advance for a Temporary Stay Permit? Last time we relied on my google translate and my friend's childhood Cantonese with the security guards.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Really? Well poo poo, I swear I read that the taxes in China can be counted off when you do your US taxes.

You still don't have to pay taxes on foreign income under $92,000 if you live outside the US for something like 330 days in a year. The US does have tax treaties with a few countries under certain conditions like Korea and government workers. The first example isn't a treaty it's just US Tax policy. You still have to file, but you won't pay tax on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I see. So if I'm only in China for say half the year I'll get hit with the full tax in both countries?

I only know taxes related to my situation, but you might have other options. But if you file without any other forms/exemptions then you probably have to do both. If you are coming into China in the last half of the tax year and are staying for another 5 months to make up 330 days then you can get an extension to satisfy that.