Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
For some reason, you never have to make up Tuesdays, though. It's always Mondays and Wednesday-Fridays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Ok, that doesn't make sense. What I am talking about is that the government will specify specific make-up days which are generally required by all employers, and it sometimes results in 10-day workweeks. Generally weekends become weekdays, not the other way around. Go ahead and ask for more money, you have my blessing, and are in the right.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I dunno I have learned that I should just do what my boss asks me to do and ask for a hefty raise every year, or meet other people who are better paid and try to get their jobs. But if you work at a training center 8/10 chance you should find a new job anyway.

Omg thus place is playing a loving Eagles greatest hits and everybody is German why won't my friends leave. Why did I bring my iPad but leave my audio cables in the hotel room. If only in could plug In there'd be booty shaking all over this semi-traditional overpriced Western pub.

PPRC u want in on my event promotion company? I want to throw one-time parties at different locations around China and develop a brand that will launch performers and genres into the Chinese mainstream, primarily from taking a percentage of royalties from performers and creating event-driven events in the Mainland cultural pool. And it's all sampling or instrumental based so there's nothing to censor. I know we are traditional enemies ever since the ponytar incident but if you want in on my ponzi scheme/foreign owned enterprise I am serious about all of these things.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I recently realized he's a badass astronaut. Has a cool apartment number too, must have cost extra.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure Pro-Prc keeps one in his trench coat at all times.

Next to the lockpicks.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
你们的鸡巴多太小

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Equally plausible that giant robots can only be piloted by awkward teenage boys with emotional problems.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Remember when I said a long time ago that he should just let it slide? I stand by that untaken advice.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Arakan posted:

Why? This way he's going to get out of his bad situation for a few K RMB, instead of being stuck there for another 9 months or whatever.

Yes because that's exactly what's going to happen.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

tacoman165 posted:

I would say you're talking about me, but my life has been super awesome since I moved back to America, so obviously that's not the case.

I only make good decisions, so I don't know who he's talking about either.

My prediction is that after much consternation Ceciltron will have to leave China full stop and move back home or to another Asian country.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I forgot to center the text on all of those and it bugs me every time I see them.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I would like to reiterate my prediction that Ceciltron will have to move to a different province/leave china altogether as I have know people who sued their employers a few months into a contract and the end result was always lots of trouble getting a new FEC.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I always think it's funny that people can actually major in American Cultural Studies and they have programs that teach this in some countries. It makes you think of Azn Studies programs in an entirely different way, thinking about professors lecturing on Larry The Cable Guy or Nascar or whatever. Do students write papers on The Simpsons and South Park like US students do Miyazaki or Kurosawa? I remember writing some bullshit papers in Takashi Miike. Do Japanese students study the work of Keanu Reeves with utmost seriousity?

Edit: if I was in a liberal arts program nowadays I would probably find some way to talk about Flappy Bird in a critical essay. In college I was basically this guy http://www.theonion.com/articles/sociology-101-assignment-stretched-to-incorporate,131/

bad day fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 3, 2014

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

blinkyzero posted:

Just get really high on something, drink four gallons of baijiu, and read anything by Hegel and Lacan. It'll be about the same experience.

If by Hegel you mean "this thread" it basically explains my day so far.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Ahahaha, Zhengzhou. Henan is truly the Germany or Florida of China.

Last night I saw a crashed Mercedes abandoned by its owner on the bridge, blocking two of four traffic lanes, hung around taking pictures for about ten minutes, nobody stopped.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Tom Smykowski posted:

I like instant noodles.

Invented by THE JAPANESE

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Technically hamburger comes from Mongolia but Americans were the first to incorporate bread, maybe.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
(looks up the word scouse)

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I did not pay bride price because my family does not believe in exchanging humans for money, even if it is just symbolic. I explained it was part of my culture, and that people in my country had fought a war over this issue, and we feel very strongly about it. That was acceptable. But we paid for everything else, which turned out to be quite expensive (though much cheaper than a us wedding) and had to buy a bunch of gold and poo poo, and did give the mother some symbolic amount of money at the ceremony (it wasn't much, though) and they gave me a lesser amount.

But if you want to go traditional, the parents are supposed to give you money the first time you meet your girlfriend's family (which is tacitly a pre-engagement event).

Edit: also not paying bride price is on my wife's mental list of grievances to rattle off every time we get in an argument, so maybe it would have been worth the money.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

caberham posted:

What a lovely thing to do. Perpetually holding on to past grudges and bringing it up whenever convenient for argument's sake is not healthy. First it's QUIT YOUR JOB. Now it's QUIT YOUR WIFE. What's next 5 years down the road? QUIT YOUR LIFE :downsrim:

I don't ever think I've had a serious relationship where there wasn't a list of grievances hauled out at some point or another.. Clearly you haven't dated anyone long enough to reach that stage.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I was just trying to explain my family's objections, who are just sort of morally opposed to the idea of bride price, using whatever limited historical knowledge of the USA my father-in-law might have. It's not just absent from our culture - it is emphatically absent and explaining that to a person from a culture that literally puts a price on everything is challenging.

Similarly, weregild is not part of our culture anymore either (because your children are not your property), though it is still an active practice in modern China.

Bride price was really the only thing we held out on, other than buying a house/car in China (because that'd be stupid).

Edit: actually the legal basis for practices like weregild is really interesting.

bad day fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 10, 2014

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Re: Cabraham

When I say Chinese culture puts a price on everything, I'm specifically talking about stuff like "if I kill you I can give your family money and not go to jail" which is a real thing and commonplace in modern China, deeply rooted in history, etc. I'm not saying it's bad - the reason we cannot have things like this in the USA is because our legal system doesn't even give your ownership of your own life, technically (actually it's quite complicated - you kind of half-belong to the state and half-yourself, your earthly remains reverting to the state upon death).

But the way Chinese courts work, there is a method of determining exactly how much your life is worth, based on things like your education, salary, future anticipated earnings, etc. And provided you avoid being made an example of, you can run someone over while drunk driving and stay out of jail by paying off the family. In the US, this is illegal - your family can seek damages in civil court but the state prosecutes the death as a crime against the state, essentially. It is not up to your relatives whether or not criminal charges are pressed.

A woman even successfully sued for the fraudulent loss of her virginity - albeit she was awarded a rather low amount - as that would influence her marriageability and bride price.

So yeah, China does put a price on everything - it is how the law seems to work here, at least in practice. I'm not saying that's bad, or that Chinese people are obsessed with or only care about money. In some ways, it makes society run more smoothly. I'm just saying it is a thing that is real, and trying to get my in-laws (from Henan) to understand our moral objection to bride price was kind of difficult.

Nuff said.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Re: pancakes.

Are you loving serious? I make pancakes every day. Flour, eggs, milk, butter (or oil), sugar, baking soda. That's all that's in pancakes, and the only ingredient you can't visually identify at any store knowing no Chinese is baking soda.

Pancake mix is a joke. I have no idea why people even buy it - most mornings I throw together some pancakes/crepes (creeps have more egg in them) in a couple of minutes by eyeballing the ingredients. The only mistake you can really make is putting in too much baking soda or burning the pancakes.

Protip: smaller pancakes are more difficult to gently caress up, so don't make big ones if you're unsure about the heat or pan.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I use whole wheat flour but you can't use all whole wheat flour so I use some whole grain cake flour as well.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I always liked the Chinese folk tale version of the afterlife and how it's pretty much exactly like mortal life in that you still have to do all sorts of bullshit to accumulate wealth and bribe the various demons and underlings, even after you die. The WASP version of heaven is really weird by comparison and we are all supposed to stand around singing all day and praising God, which sounds really crappy and boring. The Chinese afterlife is very complicated and involves constant political wrangling and negotiating with various entities.

Edit: it really cements the individual's place in the world in a pragmatic framework where everyone has to cope with the existing structure of things. Most of the times I've thought "oh these stupid Chinese people don't understand" it later turned out I was the one who didn't understand as there is usually a reason for why people say and do things, even if it's not a great one.

For example, I have no clue when I start working again. My best guess is next Monday. But maybe not. I know they will probably call the the day before in order to tell me I have class. No biggie, it's always like this. I am prepared, no need to get indignant and shouty about how nobody ever informs the foreign teachers about anything. Nothing I can do is going to change this.

bad day fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 12, 2014

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

FearCotton posted:

Goons, I need advice. It's about to get all E/N up in here.

So for the third time in as many days I've been "street harassed"--i.e., a bunch of Chinese dudes rolling up in a car or on foot, following me, saying sexual things. It's run the gauntlet from the tame "hey, where are you from?" to "give me your number!" to some pretty gross stuff. In the past this has happened to me with teenage boys, or dudes in a work context saying things, but I've never had a group of adult guys straight up follow me while yelling about how I should totally sleep with them. Every time this has happened I've been out running errands, which means wearing a giant coat/an ugly alpaca hat/a resting bitch face.

I've handled it with work--reported it--and with kids--yelled at them or seen older people yell at them--but I have no clue what to do when it's a group of dudes in a BMW. When I've mentioned it to my Chinese coworkers or friends before I could tell they felt like they had to defend Yuyao/China, or they went nuclear over a group of idiots making "them" look bad...so I don't want to ask them how it's best to handle it. I know there aren't as many ladies here as there are in WeChat, but does this sort of thing happen to you guys? Or when you're out with your female friends/gf/wives? How do you handle it? I'm more worried that I'm going to flip off some 2nd generation kid and end up with a fine (because China) not that these guys are going to act on it, but it's really frustrating.

I've had this sort of thing happen in the States and Europe, and based on the experiences of my friends in the US it's even worse being a Asian chick in America, so I don't want this to come across as a "China sux because" thing. It's more of a "holy poo poo I hate leaving the house now and I'm not sure how to handle it" thing.

Are they speaking English or Chinese? If it's English, they might just be loving with you for shits and giggles. If it's Chinese, just walk on by and don't respond to people who say things to you on the street. If people say hello, pretend you don't understand. They speak English? You don't speak English, or Chinese, or understand a single word they say. They do not exist. You are on your New York poo poo.

I've dealt with strangers on the street in many ways and both myself and my wife think the best thing to do is just keep walking like they don't exist. We have a baby now so our interactions with strangers are different, but I've never had anyone call me out on the street that wasn't trying to rip me off or be a dick to impress his friends (haha! There's a foreigner! I dare you to say hello!). There's nothing to be gained from these interactions. If someone is interesting they won't try to talk to you on the street, because people who are interesting don't just walk up to random strangers and start talking to them for no reason.

Anyway, I have learned the best thing to do is just not interact with these people.

Although more recently I have started loving with the people I do talk to (cab drivers, children, my dozen or so uncle-in-laws) because I've learned to be sarcastic in Chinese.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I do talk to lots of Chinese people; just in the course of normal sorts of interactions. Most of them don't speak English (or much English) I just avoid talking to the weirdos or dickfaces, and it took me a good three or four years to be able to identify who those people were with any useful rapidity.

In a sense it's like sarcasm - you're not really able to gauge the normality of people who don't speak your language. Not that being weird is bad but nowadays I can spot trouble In a bar right away and shut it down as opposed to interacting people I shouldn't have and launching a series of events which culminate in hostility.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Ceciltron posted:

Anyone know what happens on an Air China flight if your baggage is too heavy? I have no idea if they're gonna use the domestic flight maximum or the international flight maximum. I just know it's confusing.

You pay like 60 kuai, it's a pain in the rear end because you have to hit up three different desks but significantly cheaper than us airlines - here they don't try to gently caress you over at every opportunity yet.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
My best experience was Air Canada out of Beijing or Air Japan out of Beijing. The stewardesses are so tiny and speak Engrish in silly ways! The food doesn't suck either!

The food is always better going to The USA than coming from the USA. Our airlines are the worst. I'd fly Aeroflot over Delta.

Edit: why do airlines make people so angry? What exactly is the cause of the aggression? People don't get angry on trains, generally. Is there such a thing as trolley rage? I've never seen a fight on the subway..

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

This chart is hosed up; Delta should be #3 according to the chart, they are weighing arrival times as being more important than complaints and bumped passengers, which is hosed up. It doesn't really matter if the plane shows up on time if you're not on the drat thing.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Case in point I really loving hate Delta airlines. I will not pass up any situation to talk poo poo about them, and if they were a person I would punch them in the face. I don't feel this way about any actual human being (other than a certain former employer). I passionately hate them. Just thinking about Delta airlines makes me angry. Their employees are so grumpy, and more often than not they lose my bags. On multiple occasions they have changed my flight at the last minute with nothing but an email to alert me that I have to show up at the airport two hours earlier.

I expect it was a mellower profession back in the day when you could just go to the airport, buy a ticket, and get on the plane.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Haha you buy actual books. In the 21st Century.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

systran posted:

Every time I fly my wife has a suitcase full of fish oil, cigarettes, ginseng, and other voodoo magic that we have to give to Chinese relatives. Also this is the route I had to take:

Two-hour drive from Gainesville to Jacksonville airport --> Atlanta/Chicago/whatever --> New Jersey --> Shanghai INTL --> Long and annoying bus ride to Shanghai Domestic --> Fly to random crappy city in Shandong --> 1.5 hour car ride to wife's hometown.

Also keep in mind, each time you have a connection there is either a chance of missing it, or a chance that it's super long and you have to sit in the airport for 3-4 hours.

Wtf you are from GAINESVILLE? Where'd you go to school? I was eastside '96. You?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
My first coworker in China was also from Gainesville. He used to be a prostitute in Tokyo. What up, Che.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Drunkposting philosophy: please ignore.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

caberham posted:

It's China, so it's the cigarette smoking baby instead.

Taken in Henaaaaaaaaaan~~~~ of course :downsrim:

Today in Henan I got into a taxi and some woman started screaming at the driver about he was supposed to stop for her instead and the driver was like, whatever man but she blocked his way so I got out to give her the taxi but then another taxi came and she took that one after I yelled at her and called her a dumb oval office in the middle of the street.

This was at 8pm on a street that generally has LOTS of taxis.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I didn't. I walked out the main gate of my community and a taxi came and stopped for me and I got in it. She came from the other side of the street, or he didn't see her. I am no taxi thief, though I do strategize where I stand.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
This week all the taxi drivers in Luoyang bought a new smartphone and now use that stupid taxi app (which isn't meant for real taxis, they're doing off-fare rides to cheat their bosses) and there's a lot of frustration going around because lots of taxis are driving around with the light on but not stopping for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Understanding that almost everyone in China makes a monthly salary, not an hourly wage, explains a lot about why things happen the way they do here..

For example restaurants staff for peak time (like weddings) so most of their employees just spend all their time standing around doing nothing, which doesn't cost the owners anything so they don't care.