Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hello thread, a friend of mine has suggested I apply to the school he's going to be working at in the fall, and I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it- Maple Leaf International School in Tianjin. I have a BA, BEd and teaching certification and am incredibly underemployed at the moment (not a lot of work for teachers in Eastern Canada) and am tempted to split to Asia and have a bit of an adventure, but I'm a little hesitant to throw in with a private school. I put in a couple years in Korea ending five years ago, so I have some idea what to expect with regards to living as a foreigner in Asia and working for a private school, though I do realize that China is a different beast than the ROK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

No, I would get certified for BC (apparently not a difficult prospect) and shoot for an academic position. I did enough low-end ESL in Korea pre-BEd. It's getting pretty tight, time-wise, but my friend is pretty enthusiastic about the idea, so I thought I would check here and get some information before going any further.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Got the job at the international school I posted about a little while back, so I'm just waiting on my visa before I come to live in the picturesque TEDA! Is there any sort of music scene in Tianjin? Given the amount of universities (and the youtube videos of kids doing bad Black Flag covers I found) I kind of hope so.