Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Any of the more experienced China folks have a recommendation for travel there during the winter? I've been to China a few times - I spent a summer teaching English (living the dream) in Tianjin and have traveled to most of the big cities. Have been through Shanghai, Beijing, Xi'an each a few times. Looking to go somewhere a bit more off the beaten trail this time.

Question is two-fold I guess:
1. Where would the weather not be horrendous during the winter? I'd like to go somewhere that's not miserably cold/rainy, preferably.

2. What spots would be interesting, but not super crowded during the winter? I'd like to go somewhere where I could hike, or bike, or do something more active. Have heard horror stories about some of the mountains being swarmed with people, though - I'd like to go somewhere that wouldn't be packed.

I can speak pretty solid mandarin, so language won't be a terrible barrier for me. Open to pretty much any area of the country. Appreciate any advice you guys have to offer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

goldboilermark posted:

Go to Xingping and Yangshuo. The weather won't be too awful, you can fly into Guilin and head straight to Yangshuo for a few days before heading further away from the masses and end up in Xingping (which is the exact location of the back of the 20) and there's some small little sleepy mountain town there that's tiny and there are beautiful karsts everywhere and you can hike them and practice your Chinese at all the local places.

That sounds like a pretty good plan - I'll definitely look into heading there. The mountains and karsts especially sound like they'd be really fun to check out. Is it pretty easy to get around out there by bus/taxis, or would that be a trip where hiring a car/driver would be the better option, do you think?

caberham posted:

If you don't like the cold, I would avoid China during the winter. Even here in the South Guangdong and Guangxi the weather is horrible. It's not biting cold like the north but the high humidity is miserable. Clothes won't dry on their own and dew/mould just festers every where :gross: The domestic beach destination San Ya doesn't warm up at all and is bad as well :smith:

Oh and the AQI just goes up through the roof :negative:

I think I can deal with the cold - I just wanted to avoid going somewhere like Harbin where I would end up falling into a frozen lake and dying or that sort of thing. I imagine the AQI probably gets better as you get away from the big cities and into less urban areas, right?

GuestBob posted:

Yeah, Guizhou is pretty warm in Winter (compared to other places). Yangshuo is awful though I would second the idea that you need to get out of there pretty swiftly if you decide to go to that area.

Xinxuananannabannaghghle in Southern Yunnan is pretty cool, there's a French dude there who makes his own sausages from wild pigs and you can get tasty Thai food too.

I'll definitely take a look at going to Xishuangbanna - are there any places in particular that people would recommend visiting? I wouldn't really know where to start in that area. And would a week there, and a week in Guilin be enough, or would I want to go for one or the other?

One other general question, as I've never been to the south of China before - do most people still speak pretty standard mandarin there? I've spent most of my time in China up north in Tianjin/Beijing, so I'm used to the way northerners speak with all the "arrrrrr" and that sort of thing. Especially down in Xishuangbanna - will it be easy to communicate in Beijing-style mandarin with people there?

edit: VVVV - I think I would break my old Chinese teacher's heart if I ever did that. One of his favorite pastimes in class included heaping scorn upon people who did not speak northern-style Mandarin

Kikuchiyo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 9, 2013