Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

caberham posted:

Real freedom is walking around the streets with a very easily identifiable alcoholic beverage in your hand. Preferably a bottle of Bourbon. In fact, ask some police officers for some directions, take a photo and pose with them while sipping a bottle of bourbon. Compliment on their uniforms or whatever :gay:

It's too bad there's not a decent (or real :confused:) bottle of Bourbon in this country. I'm sorry, Jack Daniels is not Bourbon. :colbert:

truavatar fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I'm going crazy here.

There is a lady who rides her pick-up trike down our lilong/alley every morning, sometimes before 6:00am, ding-dong'ing away on her big brass bell. I think she's announcing that she's picking up cardboard and other recyclables, but whatever it is, it wakes me up almost every day and I'm getting ready to start throwing eggs at her.

Instead... maybe I could give her a Hongbao and say please don't come down this alley until after 9:00 am? Would this work? How much would it cost me? How on earth do I approach someone with something like this?

I just want to sleep!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

JimBobDole posted:

Jewish Ghetto, Pearl Tower, Walk the observation deck of the world financial building (bottle opener builder). The propaganda museum is great. Do the bus tour. Pearl market shopping. Antique market. City planning museum is good.

Agree on the City Planning museum. Especially when you're new to the city, the big model gives you a really interesting sense of just how loving gigantic this place is.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Yep, that's the one.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Cathay is the best airline I've ever flown on.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Monkey Fury posted:

Put about a dozen sweaty strangers in your closet. Try and squeeze into the back. Punch yourself in the dick repeatedly. Tell a few people to leave, but let another dozen in. There, you just experienced traveling during national week. For free!

I'm going to Thailand in hopes that I avoid some of that bullshit. :pray:

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Hmm... I just got back from a trip to the USA last week on Wednesday but I forgot to register with the PSB when I got back. I just remembered today, and I'd go do it today too, but I'm leaving for Thailand tomorrow morning. Should I even bother going to the cop shop today to register, or just do it when I get back next week?

It's kinda a pain in the balls to go deal with it right now, but I'll do it if it's going to gently caress me over later...

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

FearCotton posted:

I would go now just to get it over with, honestly. It probably doesn't matter but you don't want to be that guy.

Yeah, I just did it. Probably wouldn't of mattered, but I don't want to rock that boat any more than I have to..

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Mackieman posted:

So, I'm headed to Shanghai in a couple of weeks for work. I'll be staying in a hotel near The Bund and having meetings in an office somewhere down there. I've not been to China before, so I'm looking forward to it. I've read through this thread a little and through some Wikitravel articles but none seem to be all that clear on what there is to actually see/do in the area. I don't anticipate a ton of free time, but I'd like to have a couple of things in my back pocket in case I wind up with more time than I expect. Also, I'm a 6'8" white dude, so I fully expect to be stared at and whatnot. I had similar experiences in Tokyo. To that end:
  • What should I see/do if my schedule allows for it?
  • Does the local transport (metro?) have signs in English?
  • Does a decent local beer exist?

I agree with BA on Dr. Beer and Boxing Cat for quality local beer. Dr Beer is a lot more trendy and Boxing Cat is more like an American brewpub. Boxing Cat has really awesome growlers, too, if you want to take home a souvenir.

To see/do, since you're near the Bund, definitely have a drink at one of the rooftop bars there on a clear night for a great view of Pudong. On that note, check out the viewing platform on the World Financial center (bottlecap opener building). Also near there, Nanjing Lu is a crazy neon lightshow at night.

Almost all the museums are free, if you're into that kind of thing. The Urban Planning Exhibition hall charges about $5, but it has an amazing light-up scale model of the city.

Yuyuan Garden is an interesting classical Chinese garden. Free to get into the tea-house area, but I think they charge a little to get in the garden itself. I think Jing'an Temple is similar... free to wander around it, but a fee to enter.

Tianzifang is a shopping/restaurant/bar/cafe area built into a maze of narrow alleys. Lots of fun, but souvenirs are pricier here than other places.

Last, if you have a chance to get out of town Suzhou, Hangzhou, and Zhujiajiao are all easily accessible by train or bus and are very beautiful.

caberham posted:

• SOUP DUMPLINGS
  • If it's the weekend, go to People's park. You can see scores of moms, dads grandpas, grandmas trying to set up arrange marriage stalls. They exchange photos and other stats like income, size of house, age, height, like hockey cards.

And if you can spare for a day trip, take a train to WEST LAKE. THE WEST LAKE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. If you meet anyone from Hangzhou, just tell them that the West Lake is beautiful and they will fall in love with you.

Yeah, totally agree on the soup dumplings (Xiaolongbao). A lot of food in this city is gross but the soup dumplings are amazing. The marriage market in People's Park is insanity too. I went last weekend and expected a couple hundred people, but there were thousands.

truavatar fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 21, 2013

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
I don't even know what a metre is. :colbert:

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
That seems needlessly complex.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Anyone have a recommendation for a good hot pot place in Chengdu? Non hot pot suggestions also welcome...

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Magna Kaser posted:

Long Sen Yuan (龙森园) is the best hot pot I've ever had, but it's also pretty expensive... If you don't want to go with that, I honestly feel most bigger hot pot places are about the same. That's the only hot pot place that has ever blown me away, though. Shu Jiu Xiang Hot Pot (蜀九香火锅) is a local favorite and has locations all over town, just throw that in to baidu maps and you'll find one... For non-hot pot, Gingko is the perennial fancy smancy restaurant. I've never been there but I've heard it's alright. I think Caberham went?

Another of my favorites is ribs, which are also a sichuan specialty (though they get overshadowed by hot pot and spicy things). Da zui ba wang pai gu (大嘴霸王排骨, fun fact: it means BIG MOUTH KING RIBS) is a franchise that has a bunch of locations around town. The ribs are pricy, but worthwhile, and their other dishes are more affordable...

Thank you very much for all this info, Magna. I'm going to try to find the ribs today, but failing that, I'll go for that chain hot-pot place you mentioned. The first place definitely sounds too pricey.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

truavatar posted:

Thank you very much for all this info, Magna. I'm going to try to find the ribs today, but failing that, I'll go for that chain hot-pot place you mentioned. The first place definitely sounds too pricey.

Shu Jiu Xiang Hot Pot (蜀九香火锅) was great! I had ribs and pig throats. Oily as hell, but I guess I'm never going to get away from that in China.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Also, I want to come to Shanghai for this goon meat.

caberham posted:

If you are on a budget, you can share a bed with me...

PM wechat?

:wink:

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
No +1 for me. She's in Nanjing for a conference.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Maybe she's not real. :psyboom:

truavatar fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 12, 2013

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

ZombieParts posted:

I bought some taco sauce and don't know if there's anything basic I can put it on. I don't have access to wraps or even bread that isn't cake-like and sweet. What can you use delicious Old El Paso hot sauce on in China?

Scrambled eggs.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Is she Canadian?

I didn't think so, but I don't know what to believe anymore! :iiam:

truavatar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Well boys and girls, I'm getting on a plane today and heading back to the USA. The year of the snake has been a good one and I sure as poo poo am not going to forget it any time soon. I'll miss Shanghai, but I'm looking forward to being back somewhere that I understand. I'll eat a block of cheese like an apple when I get back in all your honor. :911:

Chinagoons are all welcome to visit me in Denver if you happen to be passing through the middle of North America. Also, special thanks to Caberham for being such a great goon ambassador.