Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
As a Japanese citizen, I'm able to fly into China with no visa and an upwards of a 15 day stay. Once I'm in China and want to extend my two week stay, am I able to do that if I go to a local embassy and apply for an extended visa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
A few questions I have about my second visit to China:

1) Last time I landed in Shanghai, I exchanged US dollars at a machine in Pu Dong airport to receive Chinese Yuan. Is this still the best way to do it without getting a huge % taken out?

2) I have a LG Google Nexus 4 and am wondering whether I should pay $60=300MB / $120=800MB with ATT for the international data package or purchase a sim card when I'm in Shanghai. Is that even possible? Does anyone here have any experience with using a US bought Nexus 4 and using a Chinese sim card?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

SB35 posted:

Take some money, but you can grab the majority right out of an ATM without a problem. Thus avoiding the bad rates at the airport.

The N4 is unlocked so you'd be fine getting a Chinese SIM card, just depends how long you are gonna stay if it's worth the hassle for you. China Unicom has reasonably fast 3G and decent coverage in the cities.

Thank you! I'll be staying in China for two weeks so I would like to get a SIM card for mainly data. Email, social networking etc. What do you mean if its worth the hassle? Would I have to sign a contract or something along the lines of that?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've been in Shanghai since Monday, the 5th, visiting friends and my stay has been very tame. They promised me to show me around and take me places but we haven't done much since they are busy with work. We are going on a one day trip to Nantong tonight but I will be in China until the 19th and I was hoping to do more touring around. Does anyone have any recommendations on any tour groups I could sign up with that does business out of Shanghai I could partake in for a few days next week? I'm hoping to tour Beijing, Guangzhou, etc. Thank you.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be in China in a few weeks and I've always used ATM right before customs / immigration at Pudong Airport in Shanghai. I'm wondering if the fees at that particular ATM are higher than others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Where do they sell Darlie toothpaste in Shanghai?