Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hey everybody where are the best places to eat and things to do in Shanghai and Chengdu that I would not find in a Frommer's Pocket Guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

There are a bunch of us in Chengdu, when will you be here? We can bring you somewhere if we're not all gone on vacations.

The Tibetan quarter is one area I wouldn't miss because Tibetan food isn't something you see every day and it is the best. When my internet connection is better I'll pin it on a map and link it.

My wife and I are going to Shanghai from Aug 17-26 and Chengdu from Aug 28-Sep 4 with a stop in Hangzhou in between.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

The Inner Mongolian grasslands are really great.

Also, seriously, where should I eat in Chengdu and Shanghai next month?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Post when you're in Chengdu and me and Magna Kaser will take you somewhere.

I think we get to Chengdu on Aug 27 or 28. Have you been to Yu's Family Kitchen? If it's worth going, we wouldn't mind having a bigger party there...

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Trying to figure out what to do about a roaming data plan between now and Tuesday... Can you get by in China with ExpressVPN and Google Voice for texting and calling via WiFi? I assume public WiFi is pretty common in Shanghai and Chengdu?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Ahhhh OK good to know, thanks. We switched to AT&T recently (a mistake) so we don't have unlocked phones at the moment :(

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

My wife and I were in Suzhou today and taxi drivers kept refusing to take us places. Like we told one guy we needed to get to the railway station, which was about 2-3 km away and he was just like "nah, won't go there." I don't understand this phenomenon.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Hey my wife and I are gonna be in Chengdu for a week starting tomorrow. BEER ME

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Argh gently caress it's smoggy here

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

It was almost too sunny in Shanghai and Hangzhou, don't blame me!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Huge thanks to Magna Kaser and Grand Fromage for being great Chengdu hosts and generally cool people!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I'm goin back to China in August to visit the in-laws, hurray

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody have restaurant recommendations for Xi’an besides De Fa Chang and the one paomo place that’s on every travel website?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I've seen the terracotta warriors and been to hua shan before. I'm just tryin to figure out a good place to get a meal, drat

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Have the Hong Kong protests stirred up anti-American sentiment in Beijing? I’ve heard they are blaming it on the CIA but I have no idea how much mainlanders are going to care

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Is it still safe to be over there as a foreigner? The political situations weren’t quite this bad when we booked the tickets months ago

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Hangzhou is cool, Suzhou sucks. Shanghai is a generic big city except for the bund and a lesser extent the FC. just one tourist’s opinion.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Going to Beijing next month for the first time since 2019 to visit my wife's family. Is there anything still open/cool in Beijing? I've already done all the big tourist stuff so I guess mainly I'm just going to be eating a lot and hanging out around Sanlitun malls/parks and whatnot. I saw there was a Teamlab thing at Chaoyang Joy City that looks interesting.

I don't have a good sense of how much stuff would have closed during lockdown. Is it still basically the same?

Read the last couple pages and I don't smoke weed so I guess I'm good there.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Currently in Beijing. My trip report is similar. Not much has changed, seems like. Nobody seems surprised to see foreigners anymore either.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

WeChat and Alipay both take foreign cards now but WeChat is finicky. It would be very hard to get around with just cash imo.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I’m not sure if it’s the same because I have a 10-year visa for visiting family and stuff because my wife’s family is in China, but we got all our visa stuff done through a travel agent. If there’s a Chinese-American travel agent near you who handles travel to China that is going to be a lot easier than trying to do it yourself at the consulate. There are a lot of weird rules about how forms have to be filled out that are not obvious.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

My family always said that lower quality hotels aren’t allowed to accept Westerners by government decree but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Eminent DNS posted:

bonus that the tibet region is one of the few places in the world (that I know of) where you can just drink a cup of hot melted butter like it's tea, so it's a great place for goons

I can do that at my house