Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Seeing as there's a Taobao recommendation in the OP and I am still an idiot tourist despite living in this country 2 years, is there any way we could get a guide on how to register an account on Taobao/Alipay? When I've tried it seems that not having a Chinese ID number is an impassible barrier to using Taobao.

You don't need Alipay, you just need to set up online banking with your bank. Do that and they'll either give you a USB dongle or a token you then use when checking out. Making an account on Taobao is 100% independent from Alipay, and just requires your email. I'd also suggest inputting your cell number and verifying it it when they ask for it after you sign up.

Click there to make a new account.

For non-moon rune readers.

The page after that asks for an email address, after which you're done. It'll probably ask you to fill out some personal information like name and address after you finish making the account.

When you want to checkout, you'll see some option with a lot of bank logos and the characters 网络银行, click on your bank logo and go through their checkout system.

The check-out process will differ based on what bank you use, but a few things a relatively constant throughout:

1. You need to use an old-rear end browser like IE6 or Safari
2. Input 200 passwords
3. The dongle will screw up somehow

Luckily, most banks are switching to tokens which are way better and easier. They look like little calculators and the way it works is while checking out you need to log in to your online bank account and use the password from the token. To confirm the purchase you need to input some code in to the token and then put what the token spits back out to the website, and you're done.

ASAIK, most banks have switched to tokens instead of USB things. You do need to go to your bank and ask for 网络银行, though. This usually requires filling out one form that they will largely fill out for you (A lot of it is just choosing how many levels of security you want and what accounts can access it) and doesn't really take that long. When I used CCB they charged me 20rmb for the USB thing, but ICBC didn't charge anything for their token.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Spotify also works fine in China without a VPN or anything, so if you want music there's always that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ah, I use it on my Mac fine, but I did make my account while living in the states. I've never had any issues logging in or using it on any computer while in China, though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I dunno if this is the right thread for this anymore, but it's basic China-stuff so,

The Color Run is coming to Beijing for August.

https://www.facebook.com/TheColorRunChina?hc_location=stream

Facebook is the only English language resource I can find (I originally found them via weibo which is predominantly in Chinese). Anyone going to take part in this? Will the CCP turn on the weather machines to make it clear that day? Will the admission fee include a gasmask?!

I kind of wish it was anywhere but Beijing cause it's a silly thing I'd want to do.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cloud services get blocked randomly in China. Dropbox was blocked for like two years but it's been working fine since January or so. Wesendit and a few other file transfer sites are hosed up at the moment as well. I'd give it a week, or just get a vpn.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

william567 posted:

I've arrived here and am set up with China Unicom. Is it just my luck or is prepaid data here just terrible? I signed up with a prepaid card that was like 96 yuan (with 30 for the sim) and I went through the data allowance in an afternoon.

How much data did you use? You should have had 300-500MB for that much money. That's not a HUGE amount, but using that much in one day is a bit crazy.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

systran posted:

I'm going to bring back the "x" to represent a word repeating:

A: nǐ de bǎox tài kěài le!
B: nǎli nǎli, tā bú gòu pàng.
A: bú yòng kèqi, nǐ yīnggai shuō, "xièx."

Woo shi.huan gwoyeu romatzyh…. bii pinin hao .de duo

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

As a Japanese citizen, I'm able to fly into China with no visa and an upwards of a 15 day stay. Once I'm in China and want to extend my two week stay, am I able to do that if I go to a local embassy and apply for an extended visa?

I'll admit I have no real idea given your situation, but all the visa stuff I know if is done at the local PSB when actually in China, including visa extensions. You probably just have to go there and not any sort of embassy. Unless you're going way out to the boonies you'll be able to get to one easily as every major city has one. They'll probably charge you some money for the extension, though, and you won't have your passport for up to a week while it processes.

Also keep in mind you need a passport to get train tickets, board planes and check in to any sort of hotel or hostel; so it's best you arrange all that before you go ahead with the extension.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm getting an extension of my RP on July 1 and haven't heard anything about this, I was just told to hand over my passport.

I hope nothing goes wrong cause I'm supposed to leave the country on the 15th :argh:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've also never had it done outside of China, thankfully. I think my gp eyeballed the form once and said even with insurance it would probably be well over $500.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

How long does it normally take to renew an RP, given it is a giant university doing it and my RP is sponsored by the government itself? I'm handing over my documents Monday (July 1) and they've told me it should be done in a week, and I should have it by the end of the week of the 12th at the absolute latest.

My cousin is getting married in the states on the 20th so I was hoping to be back a few days before that, but I'm just paranoid something will go wrong and I won't have my passport by the 16th or so when I expect to be flying out. Tickets to the US during the summer are stupidly expensive so I'd rather not blow all this money then not have my passport when the time comes.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Depends on who you are handing the documents over to. If the FAO is going sit on them for [x] days then I can't tell you how long it will take, but if they take them straight to the PSB then it will take 4-5 working days.

Mine went in on the 27th and will be ready for collection on the 2nd (I'll go down there on the 3rd though).

They told me I need to get them this poo poo by Monday at noon so they can get this done for everyone, so I'm gonna assume they're bringing it down immediately after nap time.

Aight, I'll bite the bullet and buy these tickets now then.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Man, Visa agents may be going by the wayside. Between that and actually having liability now, what will happen!?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The PSB called and I have to go down in person again for something about my visa :tinfoil:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

AfroNinja posted:

I got an email from my work and they said it takes 15 days (instead of the normal 7) to get your visa renewed. There is no rush service available. HR sucks and decided to wait until the very last minute to renew everyone's visa which means now we all have to wait an extra week to get our passports back. Many people already booked tickets home so now everyone is hosed! There's gonna be a huge argument during our Wednesday meeting!

This made me look at the receipt I got from the PSB on Monday. My school told me I'd get it monday and I just assumed that was true... but on a second look:

Oh China!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

In Chengdu visas are the same as they ever were. After heading down there and waiting over an hour, they told me they solved the issue with my visa and I didn't have to do anything. They also said renewing residence permits will take 12-15 business days now.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Where'd that come from?

edit: Any change to the visa fees for Americans?

Mine was 800, same as it ever was.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Yeah, Guizhou is pretty warm in Winter (compared to other places). Yangshuo is awful though I would second the idea that you need to get out of there pretty swiftly if you decide to go to that area.

Seconding not going to Guizhou for any time longer than a week or so. Yunnan, Guangzhou and even Chongqing and Chengdu don't get near what I would consider cold in the winter. You could travel around Sichuan which is legitimately pretty beautiful and unpolluted once you get away from the cities. Unfortunately you start getting up to like 3,500m above sea level or higher and then it's probably gonna get cold.

It doesn't rain (or snow) for pretty much the entire winter, though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

MeramJert posted:

The ideal option is to shed yourself of ugly mandarin and adopt a nice southern accent.

In Yunnan they speak pretty good Mandarin.

No where else south of Tianjin, though. And Tianjin is like barely passable.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Eh, I shouldn't have pointed it out. I mean in Asia no one would blink twice at it, and of course he's just concern trolling, but I should've remembered that for Americans everything is either RAHOWA or SJW.

I started to point out to him that a few years ago the NTSB cited Americans being huge fatasses as the cause of a crash that resulted in the FAA changing the weight estimates for American passengers, but I figured I'd drop it.

I don't know what any of these acronyms mean.

e:

Did it look like these? This is a Taiwanese style "Dan Bing" 蛋饼. It's usually wrapped around meat and served with a dipping sauce. Mainland 蛋饼 is totally different.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 10, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Barto posted:

Did you perhaps eat the perennial Taiwanese favorite...the GUA BAO?!

http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E5%89%B2%E5%8C%85

This poo poo is all over Sichuan. NEXT

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

牛肉卷饼?

http://dezhou.xinxiyi.com/4133408.html

Looks tasty.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Looks like Chinese to me.

Arglebargle ain't guai enough to sichuanhua like a pro. He don't qio things like true chengdu mo'fos, just another meiguizi in town.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Mongolia has always been a part of China, and anyone suggesting anything else is a revisionist lapdog of capitalism.

Wrong. China has always been part of Mongolia. Get it right or pay the price.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Smeef posted:

Plus once you get to Vietnam, it's about the cheapest place in the world to travel if that's a factor.

I went all over Mongolia on a horse trek thing. We got really drunk on that horse milk stuff and a swedish girl told us all about her vampire fetish.

I'd give the trip 3 AAAAA ratings out of 5.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey guys, I might have an absolutely amazing opportunity to take a job in China, working for a big games developer in Shanghai. They'd organise the visa and pay for the relocation - sorting all the lovely admin out on my behalf. I'm very excited about the idea, and a little nervous, and a little bewildered by how much I would have to learn.

Excited, more than anything else though, and stoked about the opportunity.

One thing I am a little concerned about, coming from my privileged UK freedom place is the massive reduction in holiday, from 25 to 15 days plus Chinese holidays.

How does this all work out for you? I've read in the thread and on Wikipedia/other sites that there is a fair amount of holiday on the whole and all the public holidays extend into the week if they fall on weekends, making up a good 10 or 11 extra days a year, including some full weeks, and many long weekends, right?

The idea of only having 15 days to myself (a total of three weeks) is a bit of cause for concern, because going off travelling and surfing with my free time is such a big deal, and now it seems that major trips like these would be tougher to make happen, as with trips back home to UK/South Africa.

If anyone is willing to discuss this in a Skype chat, PM me and we can get in touch, or just discuss here in this thread.

Thanks a lot guys - looking forward to the prospect of an adventure in Shanghai!

EDIT: Is Audible blocked there, by any chance? I have an account and regularly listen to audiobooks, but of course would have to cancel if I can not use it in China.

Note: I am an American so even 15 days seems a ridiculous amount of vacation time to me.

As far as the normal state holidays, Here's a site with a list of where they fall for the next couple of years. Most holidays are 3 days, but a couple are longer. Spring Festival/Chinese New Year is the longest, lasting well over a week usually.

The one issue with these holidays, and this is up to your company, is that most Chinese companies will work extra time on weekends to make up for the days off during the holiday. I work for a western-runcompany in China (Also a game studio, coincidentally) and we generally aren't made to come in during those days.

Someone else can answer on audible, but since you'll be living here long-term I'd suggest bucking up the change for a solid VPN. Gmail and Dropbox occasionally don't work (google search rarely ever works) so it's worth it for those two for me, facebook and youtube make it a little sweeter. I do know Spotify works fine in China without a VPN as long as you made your account outside of the country for some bizarre reason.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

My interview is tomorrow morning - have you got any tips or advice or cultural insight into how I should behave if there is anything particular if my interviewer is Chinese?

Crack jokes about how tiny Japanese people are.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

I just did something genuinely stupid. I bought a grey market Samsung Galaxy S4 from "foreign" (from the plug looks like Korea) for Y3760 but the catch is it's GSM only. I promptly went down to the China Telecom place to get it set up and was told their 3G network is CDMA only and I can't get the broadband-3G package deal that I was planning to. So I laid down $600 on a brand new non-3G phone.

The lesson here: don't trust random coworker whose old gaming buddy works at a cell phone store. Trust caberham. I'm going to play around with it and see how much the roaming internet costs but if the service sucks I will likely end up dropping another $300 on the Xiaomi caberham recommended. The Galaxy S4 is a sunk cost. :( The only consolation is the grey market Galaxy S4 and the Xiaomi phone together will end up costing the same amount as a full-price Galaxy S4.

Oh well now I have a really nice phone... for when I'm in the states. One more motivation to get that master's degree. :sigh:

Just use Unicom, they have way better 3G anyway.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

He's in HK, not in China! In China you're lucky if it'll ever be open!!!!!

I'm back in China now! gently caress!

I'm most amazed at how quickly I morphed back into 铁公鸡 mode. After a few weeks of buying 6 euro this and 8 dollar that I paid 4RMB for a water at the airport and was livid. But it was the only cold water!

Also like 1 zillion complexes in China have pools, it's not weird even in boonie towns like Chengdu. Most of my friends live in relatively cheap complexes (renting 50-70m2 apartments for like 1.5-2k a month lol chengdu) that have them. We even have a fake beach you can surf at in Chengdu now... maybe... is it open yet?

Shijiazhuang is hilarious for me because it's my roommate's hometown and right after spring festival she went back and showed me the AQI was 999 cause her app didn't go any higher.

BEEN ON PLANES FOR LIKE 19 HOURS ONLY LIEK 4 MORE TO GO

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Big Alf posted:

In Beijing you are looking at 15k a month minimum for a complex with a pool, and there is still no guarantee it will be one you would want to use.

You are better off joining a local gym that has a pool. You can get somewhere pretty swish that is virtually empty most of the time for 4-6k a year membership fee.

Looked at an apartment that was 1.9k today in a complex right by the subway that has two pools, a tennis court and a fake beach today.

Never leavin' tier 2.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Also the cost of living has no real bearing on the Tier system, which is actually decided by the Chinese government based on economic development.

For instance, Sanya and Hangzhou are Tier 3 and 2 cities respectively, but pretty drat expensive. Hangzhou is right up there with Shanghai and Beijing in cost of living and well below Guangzhou which is considered Tier 1. Chengdu is one of the cheapest to live in cities in China and is supposedly almost a Tier 1 city since they got all these huge tech giants (Cisco, Microsofy, IBM, Sony, etc..) to set up offices here.

6500 in Shanghai is no issue. In Jingan itself it might be a tiny issue, especially if you want stuff like pools in your complex, but you should be able to live very well off that there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

Is there an official Chinese-government tier list?

I thought there was, a Chinese professor mentioned the tiers in my development economics class here and said they were based on economic development. I searched for a bit and couldn't find one.

VideoTapir posted:

Tier-1 is where most of the non-teaching job (if not business) opportunities for foreigners are, as you go down things generally get more specialized, harder to come by, or lower-paying.

This is becoming less and less true. Chongqing, Chengdu and Xiamen especially are getting crazy amounts of development now. I actually know mainly non-ESL teachers in Chengdu. the PRC seems to have really grand designs for Chengdu especially though, and is giving foreign companies super lucrative tax deals to set up shop here and throwing tons of money in to the infrastructure. I'd reckon before 2020 Chengdu and Chongqing are right up there with BJ/SH/GZ. Chengdu is also going to be the hub for this massive germany->China freight railway which is doing plenty on it's own to get people to set up shop here.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Smeef posted:

Just got notice that I got a Chinese Gov't Scholarship to Sichuan University, so I'll be joining the other Chengoons in September. Of course, the admissions package is just 2 pages and doesn't give me any useful information about when to arrive or how to apply for a visa. :q:

Go to the International Student Office (on the second floor of the 留学生公寓,NOT 留学生宿舍) on whatever date it gives you in that packet. Mine said I needed to register between X and X date last year, so just come sometime in that period. Language classes start about a week after that period, other classes later. I had a solid 3 weeks before my first class.

Are you doing the language program or a degree/fellowship?

As far as visa stuff, with all the new crap who knows. I was already in China on an L and just switched that to a 居留许可。

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Smeef posted:

Language program for a year. I will likely be the greenest student they've ever had. I don't speak a word of Chinese.

The packet doesn't have any specific dates. I emailed the international student office this morning, though.

You're by no means the greenest! Many can't speak any Chinese even after a year of classes :eng99:

I would also highly recommended not living in the dorms even though they are free; unles you are under 21, your life revolves around drinking at 2pm, you love Kpop and cigarette smoke, and enjoyed sharing a squatter with 30 other dudes.

Chengdu is cheap find an apartment.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Smeef posted:

I planned on living off campus from the start since I'm past college age and have the money to do so. I'll probably just get a hotel for a week or two while I apartment hunt.

Stay at the Mix or Lazybones hostels, they're really good for the money. A private room is only like 50-60RMB a night. As far as apartments you'll want to be in Jiuyanqiao, Niuwangmiao or Yulin. Tongzilin is OK and not too far from the uni itself, but it is really far from where your classes will be (All in one building right near the East Gate) and more expensive-r. You can start looking online before you go, it'll speed poo poo up a lot. Chengdu is very cheap, so depending on your budget you could live somewhere really nice. Waterfront is a luxury complex with tennis courts and pools which is popular with foreigners, like 10 minute walk from the university and only costs like 1.8-2.2k... which is pricy for Chengdu. You can find a place in Niuwangmiao or Jiuyanqiao for <1500 easily.

Yulin is kind of the most hipstery area of town, it's cheap and popular with young people and foreigners. Has a lot of cool bars, cafes and restaurants and is where most of the underground Chinese rockabilly scene hangs out.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 29, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Dilber posted:

They want 6.5, but no one is taking it. My landlandy said she wanted 6.5, but the agent said that average was around 5.5k when I left.

I actually liked living there. It had nice facilities, was right next to line 13/15, and only 3 KM to line 10. There's an open air market right next to it, and there used to be a nice BHG that closed because the property company of that mall was terrible. Also, the tiles on the wall only fell off once, and I had central air.

1.7 a month for 82m2, 100m from the subway.

Chengdu :c00lbert:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

A few questions I have about my second visit to China:

1) Last time I landed in Shanghai, I exchanged US dollars at a machine in Pu Dong airport to receive Chinese Yuan. Is this still the best way to do it without getting a huge % taken out?

2) I have a LG Google Nexus 4 and am wondering whether I should pay $60=300MB / $120=800MB with ATT for the international data package or purchase a sim card when I'm in Shanghai. Is that even possible? Does anyone here have any experience with using a US bought Nexus 4 and using a Chinese sim card?

Just use ATMs to get money out. It's more or less the best rate you're going to get. Visa, MasterCard and any other major western cards are taken at pretty much any larger bank (Construction, Bank of China, ICBC, Agricultural...) so you can just get money out where ever you are. There's usually a small surcharge for using the machine and a 1% fee for the exchange.

Since you have a Nexus, just go to any China Unicom and pick up a sim card. 300MB of data with a few hundred texts and a couple hours of talk is only 69RMB or so. I think they might charge like 50rmb for the sim card itself, but either way you're talking less than $30 combined.

You will have to bring your passport to the place, but it's not a huge deal. You might also have to put down a few hundred RMB at first, but you can go back with your documents and get any unspent money back before you leave.

I'd suggest going in the morning since after lunch those places get slightly more busy and slow as gently caress.

Busy Bee posted:

Thank you! I'll be staying in China for two weeks so I would like to get a SIM card for mainly data. Email, social networking etc.

I hope you have a VPN for your phone cause cellular no longer bypasses the great firewall. Twitter, Facebook and YouTube are all out.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 31, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

When I taught English I had bosses that brought me to banquets to show off their new stock of laowai and did this crap, but now I don't teach English and I get treated like a real life human being so there's that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Baijiu is terrible unless you're dropping some major Maos on it. You can get decent imported 15 year whiskeys for less.

I just don't get it. I don't get clear alcohols at all though so it's just my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tomato Soup posted:

I'm thinking about going to China in November to visit a friend who's teaching in Beijing and just see the country but I'm worried about not being able to get a visa as I'm currently traveling around SEA and won't be back home until December so I can't get one from my home country.

Is it even possible anymore to get a multiple-entry visa from a neighboring country? 30 days is fine, but I want to visit Hong Kong too so I think I need a multiple entry one, right? I'm American too so this probably complicates things :v: I see that I need a LoI too, could my friend write one?

And how's China in November? Will the weather be decent or cold/rainy? :ohdear:

I'll probably be either entering overland from Thailand or Laos or flying in if I can find a cheap flight. I'd like to see Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and the Nanning region and go overland into Vietnam to catch my flight back home.

If you can't get a multi-entry you can just make HK the first or last stop on your trip. You don't need a visa of any kind to just visit HK as an American. You only need a multi entry if you want to go to the mainland, then HK, then back to the mainland. As HK is a major hub, flying in or out of there is really easy (you could even do both!)

As far as weather goes, China is a really big place so it varies. Beijing will probably have pollution as thick as pea soup and be miserable by November, though. Winters in Beijing are pretty much like a post apocalyptic wasteland.