Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i did go back to the US during CNY last year cuz I had already planned to and who knew what was gonna happen.

I remember I came back in early March, before you had to quarantine or anything coming into China, and my family & friends in the states kept telling me to stay in America where a pandemic will be much safer & better.

I was like idk my friends in China say its like quiet & normal so I'm gonna go.

man i do not regret that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

theyre actually discussing making better employment rules for delivery people in the lianghui and ali/tencent/etc are getting scared lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

its yangmei season ya'll getting yangmei?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

One night in Shanghai as I ambled drunkenly down a street a few blocks from the Bund it seemed like I passed several piano stores within a couple blocks. Was that my imagination or are pianos a hot item in that part of town?

idk where near the bund that would be but in the ffc there's a couple streets that all have [very specific item] store over and over again, which include pianos and violins and stuff.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i wonder how common the random drug tests are now.

before covid one time i was on a first date at the rooster I think??? with an american chinese woman and the cops barged in and did a "random" drug test on several white men. they took hair too so they were hosed if they did anything in the last ?? months.

my date told me they were glad they stuck to white men and said she would've never tested negative.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

at least korea only tests korean citizens on re-entry.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Speaking of this I will be going back to China soon and should I get the L visa or the q visa cuz now I’m hitched to a Chinese citizen? Besides lasting longer not sure what other benefits or trade offs there are to one vs the other

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Just book refundable stuff. Idk if they are mega strict now but most people I knew even as recently as like 2021 would book refundable stuff get visa then get new accommodation if they wanted.

You do want to get a hotel tho as in any big city they are very strict about you getting registered at a paichusuo. When Airbnb was still a thing you had to go do it yourself and it’s a pain
, hotels do it all for you

fart simpson posted:

i dont know op, but are you going to hk or sz?

Idk. Probably Shanghai and chengdu at least depends how much time I wanna take off.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I’d heard xinjiang gets weird cuz random parts of the cities are blocked off for people without a Chinese id card. This was a couple years ago tho.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Also hainan is only worthwhile if you’re going on vacation and staying in a resort imo. It’s mega expensive compared to the rest of China and the only real thing to do is “beach” and the beaches are like fine but nothing amazing (a lot better than the rest of China and most of east Asia tho to be fair)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i dont like the butter tea