Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

Great post, just to add a few things that I hope don't come across as too preachy.

In a nutshell - The teacher you are replacing more than likely fell into the following categories and left your School/University with a less than stellar view of foreigners:

:whatup: the first graduate of the english cambridge university in harvard usa (Lagos Campus).

:quagmire: Failed Frat boy. In China, he's sort of a big deal.

:btroll: Neck bearded sweaty hambeast. Have flashcards will travel.

:emo: Single foreign female. WHERE DO I GET MY MEDS?

:psypop: That kid from Ohio.

:fella: Deported from Cambodia.

:siren: IN CHINA ALL FOREIGNERS ARE THE SAME :siren:

Your employers will generally expect you to share redeeming features with the characters above.

As Guestbob points out, do yourselves (and the rest of us) a favour by going above and beyond what is minimally expected. Don't ask to do it, just do it.

China does not have a culture of taking pride in your work purely for the sake of taking pride in your work. This is why so much of the workforce here is bored and unmotivated. Do not fall into this trap.

At first getting paid for having to do very little seems very cool and edgy. The novelty soon wears off and when it does it can be hard to break that mindset. Hit the ground running.

Do not expect any help in fulfilling extra duties but management will be appreciate the extra effort. Whilst they won't openly acknowledge it, you will be given a lot more freedom and responsibility in your job role.

I would suggest anyone wanting to come to China to teach, contact some of your local schools and ask to do some volunteer or TA work for a least a month before you make the decision to come.

Teaching is hard work and with the added stress of adapting to a whole new way of life, it is not something that should be approached with a half arsed attitude.

I am the Principal of an International School (Chinese Owned) in Beijing so if anyone has any problems or advice on how to deal the Chinese management in an Education setting, or looking for jobs/advice etc feel free to PM me on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE CLOPPING TO PONIES; PLEASE KILL ME

Magna Kaser posted:

Spotify also works fine in China without a VPN or anything, so if you want music there's always that.

I've had mixed results with Spotify:

Download to PC it plays fine.

Unable to download on Apple unless your store is set to a different country (ie: not China)

Try to stream from Website it say not available in your country

Trying to join/activate free trial/subscribe needs to be done whilst connected to a VPN or you get the same message as above. But once set up you can then log in fine on a PC without a VPN.

Blackberry doesn't work at all but I am complete technotard so probably something I've done wrong.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Visa update, mainly for INGERLUND folks.

Well in Beijing anyway the Police clearance seems to have become a requirement. This appears to be ONLY for people applying for a work permit or FEC for the first time. I have been assured from a pretty reliable agent that people renewing do not need to provide this document.

I have heard :siren: RUMOUR :siren: that the clearance needs to be certified/apostilled by the Chinese Consulate in your own country.

Again RUMUR is the only acceptable document will be the ACRO Police Certificate for Visa Applications. This is the standard check for anyone wishing to live in the US, Canada, Australia etc..

The application form can be found below. It is generally a pain in the arse to fill this in from outside the country. You need to send the ORIGINAL form, not faxed or scanned, by snail mail to the UK. You must then have it sent to a friend or relative who can take it to the Chinese consulate and have it stamped, then courier it back for you.

http://www.acro.police.uk/uploadedFiles/Police%20Certificate%20Application%20Form%20-%20ENGLISH%20-%20June%202013%202.pdf

Edit: I've finally got my head round why I was faced with this.

My old company had me on a regular work permit, my new company is trying to put me on a FEC. Hence it was being viewed as a new application and not a renewal. Hence the need for a Police Certificate.

I have now asked my new company just to renew my permit. THIS IS A LOT loving SIMPLER AND I DON'T KNOW WHY NO ONE THOUGHT OF THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE. :china:

Big Alf fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 3, 2013

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

Sorry to disrupt visa chat. But has anyone been to Thames Town near Shanghai?

I was sort of planning to visit the place as a very specific bit of it is modeled on my home town.

Then I realised apart from having the opportunity to take a 'hay guyz i iz in chester in china!' photo on Facebook there isn't a great deal else to warrant a trip there.

http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.3994235.5356/lp,375x360,b,s,Q2hlc3RlciBDcm9zcw%3D%3D.jpg

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Xinxuananannabannaghghle

:psyduck:

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

Chinese tourists.

Do they roam free or are they kept in cages?

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

They move in small herds, led by an alpha female with a megaphone who shouts about how much concrete was used to build the visitor center.

Oh they are SO adorable :allears:

Do they all wear those cute little caps too? Do they pappa Bob, do they?

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Don't go throwing eggs otherwise the guy with the megaphone selling eggs will start showing up around 5.55am.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

nervana posted:

Question to chinagoons: my brother and I might head to beijing for mid-autumn festival (starts on Wednesday the 16th, we'll arrive on Thursday, and leave on Sunday).

What will Beijing be like during this time? If it is anything like here in Korea (where everything, including museums, stores, restaurants, etc. shuts down) I might head to Nagoya, Japan instead.

I'm a cultural Philistine but I'm pretty sure all that stuff (museums, old buildings) is open as normal during holidays.

Shops and restaurants are business as usual.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Can anyone suggest a hotel in Shanghai near The Bund/Railway station?

Somewhere clean and modern would be great, pool would be a bonus. Views of The Bund/River would be a super bonus.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks for all the replies guys. Have you had our heard of people's kindles or hard drive content's being checked upon entry to the country? I am thinking of stocking up on all media I could want on my devices before arriving...

Nope this does not happen

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Don't give caberham any biltong. It has the same effect as Spinach on Popeye. Except he turns into Kurt Darren.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzM3Mjg5NTUy.html?s=778625

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

What are the coolest cities or tourist attractions within a 5 hour train ride of Beijing, like worth going to for a couple of days? I've been to Qingdao and Shenyang, and the wife says Dalian sucks.

Dalian is a great place. The Zoo and Ocean park are good fun and it is very clean and well kempt, in comparison to Beijing anyway. The vibe of the place is really laid back, and the architecture and layout of the City make it feel very European. If it wasn't for the crap winters and the smog being blown over the bay from Beijing I would definitely look at moving there.

However it takes about 13 hours to get there by train, much simpler to jump on the plane for an hour. What is your wife's reasoning for why it sucks?

Shanghai is less than 5 hrs away on the train, though it's cheaper to fly.

To be honest I don't think there is too much within a 5 hr train ride of Beijing, unless you are taking the high speed. With the cost of the high speed you are better off flying and opening up the possibility of being somewhere cool and interesting within three hours.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

New Coke posted:

I've been here three weeks and I think I might be the greenest China goon. I had a bit of trouble remembering which apartment was mine for the second time, before some woman who I guess saw me coming home earlier pointed it out.

I'm in Shijiazhuang, add me to the OP if you want. Yes, the pollution is indeed pretty bad here.

Shijiazhuang :negative:

We get a lot of our 'local' staff from a training college there.

God it's grim. Good luck!

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

In Beijing you are looking at 15k a month minimum for a complex with a pool, and there is still no guarantee it will be one you would want to use.

You are better off joining a local gym that has a pool. You can get somewhere pretty swish that is virtually empty most of the time for 4-6k a year membership fee.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Does this relate to cost of living, quality of accommodation, (un)employment rate/job opportunities, earnings etc?

Basically

First Tier - Joberg, Cape Town, Durban

Second Tier - Bloem, PE, East London

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Dilber posted:

My old apartment complex in Beijing which I lived in for 3 years had a full sized indoor heated olympic swimming pool, 2 tennis courts, 2 basketball courts, 1 soccer field, and a full clubhouse with karaoke rooms, racquetball courts pool tables, ping pong tables, and other poo poo all for under 5k a month.

Dunno where you guys were looking.

Where is this?

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Dilber posted:

The seasons in wangjing. Prices were going up when I left china so it might be around 5.5k now.

Looks like a 70sqm 1bed is about 6.5k now.

How did you manage to survive in Wangjing? I really can't stand the place, though I'm not exactly sure why.

The Seasons is not actually that far from where I am, but it's still too far from April Gourmet. Oh and it's in Wangjing.

Big Alf fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 30, 2013

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Dilber posted:

They want 6.5, but no one is taking it. My landlandy said she wanted 6.5, but the agent said that average was around 5.5k when I left.

I actually liked living there. It had nice facilities, was right next to line 13/15, and only 3 KM to line 10. There's an open air market right next to it, and there used to be a nice BHG that closed because the property company of that mall was terrible. Also, the tiles on the wall only fell off once, and I had central air.

I honestly can't put my finger on why I dislike Wangjing so much. I lived out in Haidian during my first year here next to the Golden Resources Mall so it's not necessarily a case of it being 'suburban'.

Its got the vibe of a 'New Town' which in the UK means it's the pits. Pretty soulless and devoid of character - For examples see Basildon, Bracknell, Corby, Telford and Milton Keynes.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

"Let's get an American who has a much stronger sense of self-respect and fairness than the average Chinese, put him in a room, and pressure him to get drunk while making ever-more flimsy pretenses to excuse ourselves from drinking. This COULDN'T POSSIBLY BACKFIRE."

China can be blamed for a lot of things, but Americans not being able to handle their alcohol is pushing it a bit!

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Come to think of it, I don't get it even with Chinese people. The people sitting at the head of the table pressuring people to drink and openly laughing at their protests and drunken antics must have been in the other place before. They have to be aware on some level that nobody else is having fun. Maybe I've just been to the wrong banquets but the pressure to drink and the obvious abuse of power relationships makes what should be a nice evening turn into something I can't enjoy. I guess the solution is just to go eat with your friends and try to avoid any institutional banquets.

This sort of behaviour goes on quite literally in every country and every culture in the world (except for Muslims and other non party people of course). It's not exactly China-centri to have alcohol based shennanigans to show you are 'one of the lads'.

But you are of course right, if you are not a big drinker it is probably best to avoid these sort of situations. Though that said, I have never seen what you described happen before.

Big Alf fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 1, 2013

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not Americans being unable to handle their alcohol, it's getting Americans drunk WHILE putting Americans in a difficult cross-cultural situation. The Chinese culturally acceptable thing is to roll over and take whatever unfair bullshit your host is putting you through. The American culturally acceptable thing is to call your host on the fact that he's pressuring you to drink and lying his rear end off (just one more, just a little bit, I'll have one too, these are all lies that Chinese people stop even noticing) and clearly not drinking when he said he would. This is a bad idea unless the Chinese host wants to leave grumpily muttering about how the Americans were "rude" i.e. failed to adapt to his culture's most offensive aspects to Americans... while drunk.

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that getting drunk and reaming out your hosts like it's a frat house beer pong tourney is pretty socially unacceptable pretty much anywhere.

Did you work in the US at all before you came to China? I seriously can't believe you are so shocked by this sort of 'one of the lads' drinking culture.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

kru posted:

He isn't. He's saying it's bad form on the hosts part to feed someone drinks while not drinking themselves in order to 'Make white Monkey Dance'. :)

That's fine, but again my point is this is not China-centric. Just because someone has only experienced this sort of behaviour in China does not mean it only occurs here, or is a cultural phenomenon.

A type arseholes are A type arseholes the world over.

It would be completely wrong to give the impression that all Chinese business dinners result in baijou face rape because that just isn't the case.

Big Alf fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 1, 2013

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

Maybe i'll bring in some Templeton Rye. Al Capone's whiskey of choice. Still bottled about an hour from here, but I doubt folks in China know who Capone is. That'd be something homespun nonetheless.

Yeah I really wouldn't go to too much trouble in this regard. There really isn't the concept here of appreciating a 'thoughtful' gift.

Also the Danish Butter Cookie system is in effect 365 days a year here, so your gift will probably sit in a cupboard somewhere until that person needs something to give to someone else.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

I just ordered crap off taobao to make one.

I made on of these at the weekend after getting some filters from Taobao but I don't think its working (still waiting for the AQI monitor to arrive).

I find it hard to believe the filter he made is effective as I found a hell of a lot of air was escaping from the sides and blowing back through the other side of the fan. There didn't seem to be much fresh air coming through the filter itself.

Kept in on for a few hours when going out and when we got back in the room smelled really strange (unless fresh air smells weird to me know?).

I may give it another go but meh :effort:

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

There is a negligible amount going through in the middle but most is being pushed round the sides.

I read on some DIY forum where they were discussing this, one guy who said he built 99% of his house using recycled/DIY materials conceded home made air filters were impossible to replicate the quality of the expensive bona fide ones.

A lot to do with the design of the fan or something technically boring like that.

Edit: I also guess when the filter expires you have to go through the rigmarole of untying/ducktaping/whatever all over again....

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I'm making the big step of collecting my RP on my lonesome for the first time ever tomorrow from Yonghegong.

Is it just a case of going to the same desk I dropped off my shizzle and waving a piece of paper that I presume I must have at home somewhere?

Also I need to be at Renmin Uni for a wedding around 10.30am, does anyone know what time I need to be waiting outside the PSB in order to get in and out quick smartish?

This is aimed at Beijing Goons Pro PRC obviously

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

All my paperwork has been done, it's quite literally a case of picking up my passport with RP sticker in from the Exit/Entry at Yonghegong.

And yep, the whole reason I want to get it tomorrow is so I don't have to take a days leave for this wedding. I can just go for my visa then be at 'meetings in town' the rest of the day.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I'm heading to Macau in November for the Pacquiao fight. Looking at staying at the Venetian which is where it's being held, anyone know if it's worth it, or are there better options?

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

The ridiculous thing is, it's starting at 8.00am on a Sunday morning (24th November) in order to Accommodate US TV.

There are package deals here

http://www.venetianmacao.com/manny/

What doesn't make sense is the advertised package price is a hell of a lot lower (about $4.5k) than booking two nights accommodation and tickets separately.

Which leads me to think the package must only be for one night accommodation the night before I guess. In times gone by I would just arrive saturday night and drink through to the morning before checking in for one night after the fight, However I will have MY CHINESE WIFE and the baby in tow (unless I can get a miraculous pass out on my own...Not happening).

If the package is for two nights then it looks to be a very good deal, but I doubt it. Will contact them when I am motivated enough to do so :effort:

Will have a gander on Ctrip too for alternatives and run them past you guys.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I've looked about and the Westin Resort seems to be a good deal at around 1,000rmb a night and has a golf course which is a bonus :golfclap:

Another way of approaching it is to stay in HK and get the ferry across for the fight (I only gamble on sports and I'm a tourism atheist so seeing 'Historical Macau' doesn't float my boat.

Looks like there are ferries running at 4.45 and 6.00 IN THE AM from HK. Is drinking allowed on them?

Edit: I could stay for free at the Conrad at a push. My brother lives in the Conrad in Singapore so has a gazillion HHonours points, but I tapped him up for a long weekend in Dalian a few months back. He wouldn't mind but, meh, pride and stuff. Also the staff treat you pretty lovely if you are mooching off someone elses rewards.

Big Alf fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 15, 2013

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

So don't go to Macau. There's no sports books there. All Macau has is gambling and history. Shopping and eating is better in Hong Kong.

My sole reason of going to Macau is to watch the boxing. Sounds crazy but that is the sum total of my aims.

I'm more than willing to stay in Hong Kong and ferry across merely so I can go shopping at Simply Food and take home lots of scotch eggs and sausage rolls. :unsmith:

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

mrgoodtrips posted:

Is there a particular month (in the new year) that would be good to find work as an English teacher? I know 2014 is a long time from now, but I've decided on China and I want to be as prepared as possible. I've read April is good, but this seems to be in the middle of the semester, no?

Also, I'm having trouble deciding between beginning my career in Kunming or Chengdu. Any advice?

Some background would be useful.

Are you wanting to teach English:

In order to travel?
You just need a job?
You are actively pursuing a career in teaching?

Also:

Are you a native speaker?
Do you have a minimum BA Degree?
Do you have two years post graduate work experience?

There are always jobs available but times they are a changing and it's not so easy just to rock up with a white face and a rucksack full of China dreams anymore :smith:

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

mrgoodtrips posted:

I plan on spending at least a year in China. Maybe one year in Chengdu, another in Kunming. I want to teach English full-time.

I am a native speaker (American). I have a BA, a CELTA, and a couple months volunteering teaching English in Peru and Poland. My post graduate work experience is mostly menial office jobs/customer service (aside from my stints as a volunteer). I'm 25 years old, if that counts towards anything.

Ok you should be fine getting a work visa. I would suggest getting some letters of reference from your previous work if at all possible as this seems to be something they are being picky with at the moment. Jobs are available any time of the year so doesnt really matter when you move over.

Can't really give any advice on Kunming or Chengdu as they are like REAL CHINA and I try not to venture to far from my bubble if I can at all help it. :ohdear:

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

I'd love to take you up on your offer, Caberham, but the school is directing me to jump on a ferry that leaves directly from HKIA to Jiuzhou Port, Zhuhai. That's a pretty convenient ferry, but I was hoping to be able to check out Hong Kong. I'm sure I'll get a chance in the coming weeks.

Please for your own sake post this comment in the LAN thread.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

I see what you're saying, but it was a direct reply to a post in this thread.

Anyway, noted.

Oh you misunderstood, I wasn't being all supergoon or anything. I meant I think you should post this on the LAN thread as from what you have described about your employee so far, you might get some advice on there that probably isn't suitable for this thread. But advice you could probably do with hearing in your situation.

See Guestbob comment for a small taster.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

I've never seen free booze on an Air China flight (domestic) though I've never flown longer than 1.5 hrs with them. I usually just buy a few tinnies in the terminal and take them on with me. I will inquire tonight and if they don't provide I'll whip out a print out of that list and gesticulate wildly. That'll learn em.

If anyone is looking for cheapish business class route from Europe to China, I would advise Austrian Air. The hardware is a bit dated but the service is outstanding.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

GuestBob posted:

advise on where to watch the football

In my defence, it was a really important match. I would have looked online for places but the FCO hadn't got back to me about setting up my internet.

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

Plus he wants to keep the familial obligations to his spouses parents, not something i know much about.

In a nutshell they will move in to his house and destroy his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Alf
Nov 4, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

Her parents are separated so :can: everywhere i guess. :cripes:

The mum will probably move in to ruin him mentally. The father will demand his own place and ruin him financially.