Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

vanity slug posted:

You can definitely pay with a foreign card on Alipay. Your gf can also let you use her card as a Relative Card on WeChat. Maybe also on Alipay.

yeah you can do the relative thing on alipay too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

uninterrupted posted:

Also yeah that's weird I didn't get it ever hear about a random drug screening. That said, do not gently caress with drugs in China, don't buy them, don't do them, don't bring them, don't accept them from anyone.

i did hear about random drug screenings where the police showed up in a couple bars in shenzhen back in like, 2018 or 2019. keep in mind though that the punishment for foreigners found with drugs was deportation, not prison or anything

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ailumao posted:

Speaking of this I will be going back to China soon and should I get the L visa or the q visa cuz now I’m hitched to a Chinese citizen? Besides lasting longer not sure what other benefits or trade offs there are to one vs the other

i dont know op, but are you going to hk or sz?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also that having to buy tickets and hotels before getting the visa thing is pretty commonly how getting a tourist visa works, in general. it’s not specific to china or anything

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Akratic Method posted:

How long does (tourist) visa issuance tend to take? Does it cause problems/delays if you've been to Taiwan before? There are ROC stamps in my current passport, so definitely no avoiding them knowing. I see there's a Past Travel section in the application, but annoyingly I can't see what's in it without filling in everything else first, which I don't really want to do until I have a better sense of whether I'm going to do this trip. (got laid off, want to head over on short enough notice that I'm not staying out of work for months waiting for approval)

Also, I'm the kind of person that likes the unusual, distinct or remote regions of countries (I made it to Greenland before Denmark proper, included Christmas Island on my Australia tour, etc). I am guessing it would be frowned upon for an American to say I want to check out Tibet and Xinjiang... Is it even worth looking for a place that will host a foreigner in either of those places? Are there any other similarly distinct but less sensitive parts of the country you could recommend?

Alternatively, seems like Hainan has their visa-on-arrival thing going again. Might consider going to a different SE Asian country, but dropping in there for a bit. Is there anything interesting there, or is it VoA precisely because it's a blandly anodyne tourist park full of carefully managed money-extracting bullshit?

you can just go to xinjiang, it isn’t frowned on at all and it’s a huge tourist destination. if you want to go to tibet, you can, but you need to get a travel permit in addition to your visa and technically you need an official tour guide with you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a7m2 posted:

Which is fixed by "losing" your passport and getting a new one

does that still work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Eminent DNS posted:

Side note about Tibet is there there's counties in provinces that border Tibet that are considered Tibetan autonomous counties, despite being in Yunnan etc, and they have lots of Tibetan temples and cultural stuff but the permit stuff doesn't apply at all. It's a much easier option if you want to check that part of China out for just a weekend and don't mind not seeing Lhasa itself (you'd probably have altitude headaches the whole two days tho lol)

It's been a while since I went, I guess, but I doubt that's changed

yep, about a year and a half ago i went to some of the tibetan areas in yunnan and i didn't need anything special at all