Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If it weren't for the lovely drivers and the foodborne illness Huzhou would be one of the most pleasant places I've ever lived. Not exciting, but nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Jesus loving Christ, Beijing...

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Serious question for a moment here. My wife is in Beijing with my daughter. My daughter has two badly broken teeth. We need to do something to preserve these teeth, because they've got to last another 3-6 years.

Does anyone know a really good dentist in Beijing; one who specializes in kids?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Are they baby teeth?

I hope your daughter is okay. I'm sorry that I don't have a recommendation for you.

Baby teeth, so sure, they'll be replaced; but if she loses them now, braces are pretty much a certainty.

Wife got her started on getting crowns. The dentist she went to doesn't do sealant, however, so if you know someplace that does it, that'd be helpful.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I was thinking of going to Shanghai for the weekend, this week or next. Where's a good, cheap place to stay, if one just likes wandering around on foot and seeing cool poo poo without a goal in mind?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Uh...is Shanghai gonna be really crowded this weekend?

Eh, gently caress it, either way, I've got Monday off. Might as well take advantage. BUT I STILL HAVE TO HEAD BACK ON MONDAY NIGHT.

Wait...will trains be running as usual on Monday night?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ladron posted:

please wear a gopro for your nye adventures

Why did I think that new years eve was january first. Christ my brain is broken

Anyway, is it a huge thing in Shanghai?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Hmm...I think I'll risk it. I'd be the one doing the trampling...but hotels are gonna be expensive I guess.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't know China had so many issues with the Insane Clown Posse.

Well, you don't see them touring China, do you?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Anyone here tried to do a Report of Birth Abroad at the Shanghai US consulate?

I sent my request for an appointment 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from them. I'm wondering if that's normal or if I need to try again or do something else.

The instructions on the website say to email your documents to the address listed to request an appointment. I guess it's done differently at other consulates? Last time I was at the Beijing embassy they had the forms just sitting there so I think it may have been a walk-in thing.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there's a problem or not.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I guess I was just used to the timelines of USCIS (thanks Trump!); but this isn't that I guess.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

They're cracking down on everything so just assume they would.

I think you're allowed to stay with family anyway so probably worth the 2min it takes at the paichusuo to do it.

the hours it takes to find the right one

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I ill be moving to shenzhen. i was just there and I got a nostalguc flashback to like mid may in terms of coronavirus measures still in place. man it was nice to be in a virus free city

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I am in China. Haven't left since well before COVID.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Did you have the same conversations with friends and family in your home country about OH MY GOD ARE YOU OKAY while knowing what was coming?

Magna Kaser posted:

who knew what was gonna happen.

I knew the US was gonna be a shitstorm.

I was confident China would do a lot better, but I didn't anticipate the night-day difference.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have this suspicion if i ever go back to the US I am gonna culture shock real loving hard.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Surprising how quickly I got used to not being a spectacle every time I set foot outside after coming to Shenzhen.

Unrelated: shenzhen sucks

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
At least the pm2.5 was better than the pm10

Most places are better than Beijing in every way, and all are better in some way.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I need to go back to america so i can feel good about my weight

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
because it bankrupts the drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
This would do more for bike lane and pedestrian safety in China than a million helmet checkpoints.