Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
So what are they saying about the Beijing airport bombing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

bad day posted:

It's being reported as a bad thing but no breaking news in TV like you'd see in the USA. All the fengqing are already posting on CNN "a bunch of firecrackers went off, no big deal". I guess it happened in Terminal 3, and given the way things work there it's not really possible to do a lot of damage. Lots of big, open spaces, plexiglass and steel.

Yeah, I'm in the US at the moment and watching the news of it. I'm wondering how this will change airport security when I get back in August.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
All right!! More 'Hai people! Make sure you get your VPN/ sling box set up before you fly over.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks for all the replies guys. Have you had our heard of people's kindles or hard drive content's being checked upon entry to the country? I am thinking of stocking up on all media I could want on my devices before arriving...

Tip: take your hard drives as carry ons.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

BadAstronaut posted:

Are they all really well maintained and clean etc? Do many of the residents use them or are they more a nice-to-have novelty that people don't really take advantage of?

Ba-I live a little south of Jingan in the French Concession. Yes, the complexes have pools, but they are used extensively by expat kids and are in various degrees of repair.

What's your budget? You can get more bang for your buck by grabbing a place in Gubei or Minhang and taking the metro into town. God bless line 10.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Bad astronaut, Smart Shanghai does a good job. City Weekend and That's Shanghai are so-so. You need an agent though. That's the best way I've found.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks. Got a recommendation for an agent? If I'm working in Jing'an close to Chanping Rd metro are there any areas you guys would recommend me staying that are 30 minute's commute or less, and decent parts of town?

Do you have family coming too? What's your budget? You always have options when you have money.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Do you mind roommates, because you'll only darken the door of a compound at 7500.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Heading back to the 'hai in the morning. Oh, US, I will miss driving until Christmas. So I have to renew my passport for the first time. Do you guys know if the consulate can do same-day service or is it just as ridiculously long as it is in the USA?

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Shanghai goons! We have Western Chinese food! New place just opened up called Fortune Cookie that offers Kung Pao Chicken. It even comes in the paper box cartons with a fortune cookie. It was packed with a bunch of Brits, but I'm sure the Americans will find it soon.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
General Tsao's beef, chop suey, fried rice in that white "Have a nice day" carton, I saw it as Chinese food you'd find on the corner of any suburban American town. It's not Chinese-Chinese at all.

It's on Changshu Lu near Julu Lu. Same building Piro is in.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Jewish Ghetto, Pearl Tower, Walk the observation deck of the world financial building (bottle opener builder). The propaganda museum is great. Do the bus tour. Pearl market shopping. Antique market. City planning museum is good.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
In terms of American carriers, I love United. Delta turned to crap a few years ago when they switched out the 777 for a 747. Shared entertainment screen with Glee on loop. This was also the flight where I broke my headphones. If you get a Continental crew on a United flight, you're golden. Delta crew is universally surly. American flights don't exist in Shanghai as far as I'm concerned.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

ZombieParts posted:

I actually kind of miss Chinese food. The Chinese food in America was loving delicious. The poo poo here is often sad. Especially duck and chicken dishes.

Come to Shanghai. We have American Chinese food.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

BadAstronaut posted:

People get very serious about a great many things in this thread, when in fact the only things worth being serious about are the safety, comfort and in-flight entertainment of the various airlines that serve Shanghai.

United's midnight ice cream makes life better.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe, but the baseline that you're getting better from is "flying United."

Not saying it's the best, but it is a cheaper ticket without it being China Eastern or, God forbid, American.

The best flight I've ever had coming to/from North America was Air Canada.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
You guys do know that the Shanghai Metro now has 1,3, and 7 day passes with unlimited rides, right? It's a great option for visitors.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Going to be in the boonies of Beijing for the weekend. BJGoons, is there a method of public transport into downtown that doesn't include taxi? For reference, I'm going to be staying at the Yosemite near The international school of Beijing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Ah, thank you! Every time I go there I feel so darn stuck with only cabs taking expats everywhere.