Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cowofwar posted:

if you buy five pairs of shoes and wear each pair once a week they will last five times as long but you will get tired of them and get something new before they wear out. BWM.

Spoken like someone who can buy shoes "off the rack." I have giant feet, one foot is a 14.5 EEEE, the other is a 15 EE. they don't make half sizes above 13 generally so I wind up with 15 EEEE. I buy as many pairs of sneakers as I can at once and store them because shoe buying is a nightmare. Also I assume you mean simply calendar days longer, not that you get more net wears out of them, because if so I'm going to go open up my 2 backup pairs right now.

BWM: I shop at target without using their 5% off credit card and I don't do backdoor roth games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NancyPants posted:

I heard you can pay off your Target credit card with another credit card, is this true because THAT would be GWM if you use your credit card like a debit card.

I believe you used to be able to do that with store lines of credit (ones only good at Macy's or what not without Visa-like spending ability.) I think I managed to do that once with like a in store promo then paid off with 0% credit card on the spot. I imagine if you paid off this one with another credit card it would come through as a cash advance and be BWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=319#post460318409
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=320#post460319522

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm going to start law school in the fall far away from home and for that reason I kind of want to buy a truck. I don't think I can comfortably fit any of the half tons in my underground parking space so I went and test drove a new Tacoma today. The clutch is still a bit too long but the gearshift throws are fairly short and its not bad for a truck. Could use an extra gear though, the MT is only a 5 speed. The engine is the new fancy Lexus 3.5l with both direct and port injection and able to switch between Atkinson and Otto cycle. It's expensive as hell since the MT basically only comes with the TRD Off Road trim and I'm never going off road.

I test drove the new Aluminum F150 a couple of days ago too. It's pretty nice but again I don't want to be parking such a large vehicle. The resale values on the Tacoma are so ridiculous that it's looking like the cheaper option.

Throatwarbler posted:

I already have a car, it's perfectly fine other than not being a truck and I barely ever drive it anyway because I ride my bike everywhere. Once I get to school I'm going to just rent a place a mile away from campus and I'll never drive anywhere either. OTOH the total cost of ownership for a Tacoma with the depreciation that KBB and other research is telling me is so low that it seems unreal.

Maybe I just like talking about my litany of poor life choices. :unsmith:

As if law school weren't a bad enough, lets buy a truck to supplement the car I don't drive!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

potatoducks posted:

I thought after keeping your policy for two years you can pretty much do whatever you want.

I believe a lot of policies exclude "extreme" activities or ones where you should expect death. Everest is pretty much the definition of expecting death.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cowofwar posted:

BWM: having more than one car. If neither person lives near work then it's time to move.

I own 3 cars one of which is an anagram of BWM and my wife walks to work. :ohdear:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Does anyone have any experience or advice with loaning their parents money? I come from an extremely poor family and my mom claims to be struggling right now with a recent move and job switch. She texted me yesterday asking for $2000. I've been saving up diligently for a while to move into some more comfortable digs and really dont want to have to loan her the money, especially right now since this is the best season inventory wise for me to make my move.

I thought about giving her some just as a gift with no expectations on being paid back. But I'd really like to help her learn basic budgeting. I know shes horrible with her money and I'm sure if I worked with her and she was willing she could be saving a lot more. I just dont want to insult or belittle her by teaching her basic personal finance.

This seems awfully sincere for the BWM thread. Ask to sit down and help her with her finances? Probably couldn't hurt to make sure she isn't being scammed out of money on 9% car loans and stuff. Either gift her money or don't, but I wouldn't loan my parents money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

They pay for DirecTV for NFL sunday ticket and some other sports package, and comcast with all of the movie channels. Two newish cars they are still making payments on and are renting a 3 bedroom house with full basement for the two of them. They pay $1400 a month for this place in Iowa of all places. This is on top of them eating out way to often and spending a ton to host bbq's for friends and family on the weekends. I called my sister to see if she got hit up for money and she said no, and that our parents were just talking about some expensive wine they bought and some stupid baby car that was $300 for my niece.

gently caress that, as I type it all out I'm just mad at my Mom now. They also recently blew through their $50K retirement fund when my step dad lost his job. Of course when that happened they didnt cut back on anything and still lived like they had two incomes coming in.

I think I'll just give her $500 and tell her that its a gift I dont expect to be paid back but that its all I will give her.

Or buy a houseboat. Sounds like a better investment.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Devian666 posted:

Average house prices in Auckland, NZ will pass the $1m mark this year. The PM says you can still buy for under $500k. Warning: contains houseboat.

http://thespinoff.co.nz/politics-media/02-06-2016/john-key-suggested-we-google-trademe-for-homes-under-500000-so-we-did-and-here-they-are/

Why are there $2100/month ground leases included on some of those houses? I've seen that in park systems for cabins, but never primary residences.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Eldred posted:

I mean, there really wouldn't be a thread without humblebragging. The most fun content is "look what this person did, but not me, for I only act rationally with my money". I wouldn't stress too much.

BWM: donating money to your college in the hopes that they will pay off some of your student loans? http://gawker.com/northeastern-university-offers-alums-a-hosed-up-studen-1780080341

I would have done that in a heartbeat if it was a $5 entry. The worst possible outcome is being out $4 after I get the $1 back on my taxes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Doubly stupid since you can buy a motorcycle for a few grand that's faster than any car under $100,000. Also your girlfriend will probably hate it so you can save money when you don't have a wedding.

Buying life insurance on your superbike owning boyfriend: GWM.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

The guy claims living expenses of $7,000/month and assets of $112,000.

7/112=.0625

So the guy would need to pull a >6% gain on his trades every month just to cover his monthly living expenses.

Don't forget short term capital gains. He has to net 6%.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

BWM: cosigning and ending up owing 35k @ 12% on an 18k car...then considering rolling that debt into another car because hey, why not.

Hell if your credit isn't garbage rolling it into another car at "only" half the interest might be not the worst thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

Speaking of car chat...

Why would anybody agree to this :pwn:

:hfive: wells fargo car loan buddy. I sent them a "secure email" asking how to make a principle payment online and they said that I had to call to get the answer to that question. I've played that game before where I thought I was paying principle on my car loan, but in reality I was just pushing my "next payment due" date out into the future. I used to be really bad with money. I let the dealership tack on $5,000 in stuff onto the $9,999 special car walking between the sales table and the finance table, a VW mk4 jetta 2.slow, first of its model year, excluded from all recalls on the mk4's. :downs:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spinst posted:

If you are serviced through Wells Fargo Dealer Services, as I am, I have asked this question and here is the answer I received:

Please be advised that on your specific loan type, each time you send more than the required payment amount, the additional funds are deducted from your principal balance and advances to the next months due date as long as the interest is satisfied.

Thanks. I walk past a wells fargo bank branch nearly every day for lunch (speaking of BWM), I think I will just walk in with some cash since they don't want to answer my question online.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

I think it's more about a lack of pressure. They can afford to spend that much, so they do. Maybe they can't afford it comfortably, but there hasn't been enough pressure to force them to do anything about it. Now, there's something causing them to actually address the issue.

Having said that, if you can't figure out how to get your monthly food budget for four people under $3,800, you're bordering on actual mental retardation. "Hmm... $400 per month in Starbucks coffee... $500 per month in Cheetos and Slim Jims from Walgreens... $500 per month having food delivered to the house because I'm not in the mood for Cheetos and Slim Jims... I just don't know where to start trimming the fat from this budget!" [Throws hands up in exasperation]

Honestly the starbucks offends me the least in that. $400 per month is $10/pp/day. It's a mountain of money, but it's not the problem. It's two drinks/day or a drink and a sandwich. As I recall they're spending $2,400/month at the grocery store. That is $1,000 more than you would spend if you exclusively shopped at whole foods with a budget of $100/person/week. I want to know how much these people make, or how much credit card debt they're in, that an extra $2,000/month on groceries isn't putting a serious strain on their finances. I assume they just aren't paying into retirement and have no savings.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have no idea what their driving record is like, but my boss is a woman in her mid-40's and told me that $50 a month in insurance meant I needed a new car because it was dangerously unsafe if the insurance company let me pay that little.

I'm not sure what kind of car she drives, but it is a white Mercedes SUV that she says cost 70k and is about 210 dollars a month for insurance. I didn't even know SUV's could cost that much.

Don't look up a Mercedes G Wagon then, because $70k isn't even half what you can pay for one of those in top trim. We're paying $70/month/car to insure 3 cars for over a million bux. :ohdear:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Insurance is mandatory in every state, except NH I think, so I assume you are from there?

He only has liability coverage, not comprehensive/collision coverage. Your vehicle is uninsured by you, so if you drive it into something then that's your problem.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Weatherman posted:

I'm just quoting this so I can find it easily for the next humblebrag awards.

Please let me know if I win. I would hate to miss out on internet shame.

Edit: I'm going to go get in my obviously deathtrap car and drive over an hour home in traffic. :saddowns:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 25, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dustoph posted:

Pretty sure he is talking about medical coverage. I have 300k covered on each of my cars for a total of 900k. All cars are worth under 20k... You aren't insuring any super car for $70.

More to the point you nearly break even with a $1MM umbrella policy from the multiline discounts on all of your covered policies if you have high limits, especially if you can reduce your per-vehicle coverage. You only have to maintain like 250/500/100 coverage to get the policy covered by the umbrella at State Farm, bringing it to $1.250MM on a given vehicle. Then you have the umbrella on all of your cars and homeowners/renters.

BWM/Overt brag: Got a lump sum from a job whose post-tax amount was either the down payment on a house (with PMI) or the whole cost of a 2009 BMW Z4. I kept renting.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dustoph posted:

In reference to the BWM coworker and mom, I'm surprised the bank is willing to do a 97% loan. As long as they are the 1st mortgage though, they probably don't care where the other money comes from. You really think mom is getting her money back first if they go belly up? Bank will likely sell at a loss, still pocket the down payment from mom, and mom will never see a dime.

If they have FHA with mandatory PMI why not? Not their money at that point. Who knows if it will actually go through as the house has to appraise for the FHA loan value or higher, plus they actually tend to look at income now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah so now I have a 2% visa and a 1.5% visa and can't tell them apart without effort on my part. Fun times.

Plus I'm holding off on activating these cards because 1) pin cards suck and 2) I'll have to redo account info on 30 different places. Credit card companies should let old numbers stay active even when you move to a new card/number as long as it's an auto-recurring bill or one you authorize or whatever, it's incredibly annoying to update all this stuff.

They have a method for it, but it's on the merchant to set it up (and I assume pay a premium for the honor.) It's how LA Fitness can keep charging my new credit card when I lose my old one. My amex recently had a update to their cardmember agreement to spell out how that feature exists and it is OK by them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Eldred posted:

Edit: here, a BWM car decision waiting to happen. 27 year old finds out he's going to be a father and now wants to buy a $40,000 car. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4rj4sv/is_40000_too_much_car_or_am_i_too_cautious/

It's bad with money because he could own a used prius outright and spend the remaining $25-30k on his beater BMW. Daddy needs a turbo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
BWM: Investing in a whisk(e)y collection because it's totally going to be collectible and worth a ton in retirement.
GWM: Group buying the collection for pennies on the dollar when the old geezer kicks it having barely drank anything.

That is a Honda CR-V filled to the front seat. Almost all of the bottles (99%) were sealed. Yes some were bad, but the good ones well outweighed the bad.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

Is it even legal to ship alcohol to a foreign country workout a license?

In the USA it is indeed illegal to ship alcohol without a specific liquor license, often something like "sale for off premises consumption." From there you get into the state-to-state (and muni-to-muni, see "dry counties") laws which all vary. Some states have very sane laws, IL, CA, and NY come to mind. Others require them to be shipped to a local license holder who finalizes the transaction, others it is all run by the state, and some it is flat illegal. Utah is a funny example where it is state liquor and on paper you can have the state liquor store handle the transaction for you, come in, and pickup your hooch while paying the appropriate local taxes. In reality I don't believe it ever works. :911:

Dry counties are funny, because most of the Kentucky Bourbon production happens in dry counties/cities. They are however allowed to have tasting rooms which can give you 1/2 oz pours of up to 3 different spirits. It is tightly regulated, and if you go over it counts as a "bar" and you are risking losing your license. (BWM.)

However you the consumer, in a sane state, can import liquor from a place allowed to sell it no problem. Thankfully the United Kingdom is awfully lax about this. If you ever see a 700mL bottle with a weird black circular sticker of startlingly high quality on it it is likely the refund sticker for the UK VAT stamp which is under that black sticker then it's an EU market bottle which has been imported. 750mL is US domestic market, because it's a fifth of a gallon. Take that EU, we get a free 50mL!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Switchback posted:

Ok so a while ago I posted my friend's website who was selling 3-hour meditation sessions for like $6k, thousand dollar meditation cushions, a "series of 8 3-minute meditation videos from exotic locations over 8 months" for like $50k or something totally ridiculous.

Yesterday I posted on facebook that it's my 15 year anniversary of wasting time on somethingawful. She commented!

I am trying to sell things on the internet, oh no people are looking at the things I'm trying to sell on the internet I better block them! I mean yeah, we were there for ridicule, but do you really want to discourage traffic to your products? I really like this girl very much but the products she is trying to sell (and the way she refers to the website template service she purchased as "my team") shows she's just really out of touch. She was a consumer of lots of self-help materials like "visualize your way to wealth."

Does your friend move "product" as it were? Right thread for her customers, but wrong thread for her.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Do you have 12k in the bank?

Do you make $1700 a month?

Then why not buy a $110k house and GET ON THE PROPERTY LADDER!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4v2pxv/i_have_12k_in_the_bank_and_just_made_an_offer_on/

I love how so many house buying stories start with "I'm under contract, how should I pay for this?"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

How the gently caress is it even possible to owe over $50k in back taxes at 27? I could see it if he dodged taxes for a decade, but it's only been two or three years.

Did he set his allowances to some made up insanely high amount and then just never file taxes? Even if he did that, how did he end up owing so much in such a short amount of time?

2 years @ $120k ("solid 6 figures") w/ exempt checked = $50k owed. Mind you, any payroll department worth their salt would try and talk you down from an exempt W-4. Same scenario with a $165k salary (big law associate starting salary) and high exemptions.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

This was my guess, a shocking number of people have no loving clue that they will end up owing a poo poo load of taxes on their IC gigs. Like they just hear $XX/hour and assume that's their net, my sister for one is going to be shocked.

We got a shock once, knowing about self employment taxes and the like, but then the City of Los Angeles sent a nastygram about how my wife didn't have a license. We paid her city taxes, but hadn't paid the piper for the license to proofread college admissions essays for rich kids.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Who cares? He's got 70k in the bank and is doing just fine. A $23k splurge isn't going to hurt him.

My only problem with it is he isn't putting enough into his 401k/IRA. I imagine the reason they want him to live at home is to buy a house when he moves out, and $50k is house buyin money in a lot of markets.

It also sounds like he might not understand that it really is a $23k splurge, because any residual value in that thing is going to be eaten up by maintenance. There's a reason a $100k car is worth $23k today. He should get his dad to go in halfsies with him and they can co-midlife crisis.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

overdesigned posted:

The article as a whole is very much a "never invest, college is for chumps, always rent forever, subsume yourself into the gig economy" thing.

Generalized statements always apply when it's something I'm looking to avoid doing!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

I'm not comfortable posting her actual pictures but I can try to MSPaint its layout later today. It's really not fugly, it's just... empty. The countertop extends to where the fridge used to be, with a place to scoot a chair under it. It's a kitchen desk, because obviously people need that!

The previous owners of our home remodeled the kitchen when they moved in and removed the dishwasher. :downs: We then had to move things around, add it back in, and it actually added countertop in the kitchen and made the whole thing feel larger.

So much of this "never do this" talk really depends on how old and fugly the current house looks. A 50's kitchen with original appliances and at least one too many walls will net you a profit in southern California. Reface the cabinets, replace the oven/stove/range, put in something-that-isn't-linoleum floor, and knock out the extra walls. If there is money left redo the countertop. Really the only time it doesn't is if you pay top dollar for everything to make it your dream kitchen. Your realtor, who is making some huge chunk of money on the sale, should be guiding you through this with plenty of data about comps.

This could also say something about socal markets.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
A coworker says he has put 3 hard drives into his work laptop out of pocket because they don't stock a large enough hard drive, so he would have to wait a few days for the new disk to arrive. The concept of a loaner (of which there are a dozen) or using a smaller disk (again, a dozen in stock) in the interim was completely foreign.

It's pretty light on the BWM scale, but who spends a net of $500 on their work laptop instead of waiting a few days?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I work for one of the biggest non-fortune 500 companies and even we have something similar.

If you get fired, we'll give you 2 months' pay if you sign a contract saying you won't sue the company for any reason and won't say anything negative about the company at any point in the future.

Wonder if it would actually hold up if we fired somebody for having a disability!

For stuff like that it probably says you are settling all claims against the company in exchange for the 2 months pay consideration. It would be an uphill battle for sure. Never sign anything when quitting unless they're giving you otherwise un-owed money!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gorman Thomas posted:

My gfs sister and her husband got pre-approved for a $700k home loan and they only plan on making a down payment of $50k. They'll be lucky if that gets them a 1300 sqft condo in our area.

I about did a spit take when they told me what I was pre-approved for with a minimum down payment FHA loan. We bought a house 27.9% under that with a 10% down payment. Being non-FHA made my lender happy, not taking something with 5% of the pre-approval amount made him frustrated. I think he saw dollar signs on his commission. People don't know that what the bank pre-approves you for and what you can or should actually afford are often wildly different numbers.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

My cousin's husband just started a kickstarter for his company's 3rd product. (they work in baby products, the first two are sold at major retailers and are in the top 100 at Amazon) They live in a house with a car elevator that lifts a bunch of late model Audis. I'm assuming this is BWM cause if you're living this loving rich and need crowdfunding you're either doing something wrong and are hard up for capital or you just seriously don't give a gently caress about offloading risk via crowdfunding.

I doubt they need the crowdfunding, offloading risk via crowdfunding is GWM on the getting paid side of the equation. It's not like you're giving away equity in the company. It's basically like presales on video games. Now whether or not they have the money to be installing car elevators for their aging fleet of german luxury vehicles is a different question entirely. They might be living like lottery winners when their luck runs out. If they're buying everything cash at least they aren't leveraged but who am I kidding?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zero One posted:

OH another error we had recently. Someone typed a bank account number in the dollar amount field for a deposit. Our system didn't have any sanity checks and deposited that amount in a client account.

Our bank account numbers are 12 digits. That client briefly had almost half a trillion dollars.

When having a .01% interest bearing account doesn't seem so bad!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KingSlime posted:

y'all are giving his irrelevant and insane ramblings too much attention, more stories please!

Today for lunch I'm going to go get a starbucks mocha.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

was it 5 or 6 dollars

it was free from star rewards :smugdog:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Why not move away, pay a broker 10% to manage the property, and rake in the alleged "double our mortgage" rent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

- Brother's ex-roommate took the bitcoins from his PC after he died.

I am looking forward to the coming schadenfreude as more and more people die, lose, or otherwise permanently disable bitcoins in wallets. The first few rounds have happened between high profile bitcoin "bank" breakins, the short lived mnemonic wallet app that used a arbitrary string as the static seed for wallet generation meaning anyone who could guess the string got the wallet, and that guy dump-diving to find his million dollar hard drive he threw away.

Sure eventually computers will be able to brute force old wallet addresses, especially those found to have been generated with weak crypto, but that is going to be a while. Technically bitcoins in "offline cold storage" can be stolen if you can guess the private key.

• Locked thread