Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

enraged_camel posted:

Nothing is guaranteed. However, stocks have historically gained 7% per year on average after inflation (here). Start with $27,500 (five years of max Roth IRA) and compound that 7% per year over 35 years and you get close to ~300K. Here's a nice calculator that I used.

So yes, those few years early on in someone's career make a tremendous difference in the end result.
For a hypothetical person starting now, true. But it's not quite right for your coworker because 2013 is the first year Roth IRA contributions are capped at $5500 rather than $5000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

excepting work systems she is functionally computer illiterate (to the point of asking me why she could not access her Hotmail account from the Yahoo webpage) so I don't think she's helping out Prince Mufasar,
That person is a Nigerian prince's wet dream. Seriously please talk to her, it definitely sounds like she's being scammed somehow.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you have a spare $30k+, wouldn't it make more sense to have it invested rather than to just have it sitting around free?

My bad-with-money story isn't terribly exciting but it drives me up the wall. I know someone who (illegally) took over her parents' rent-controlled apartment in an insanely good neighborhood in Manhattan and had a light job fall into her lap. It can't be terribly lucrative, but her rent is so low it doesn't need to be. I think she just grew up so wealthy she doesn't realize it's not normal to take two-week vacations in Europe every year, or to drop four figures on Manhattan movie tickets (and you know it's not matinees). All she does is spend money and complain, and this last week she was saying how she would be so good at being an idle rich person. Girl, you ARE an idle rich person and you're terrible at it.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 26, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, I wouldn't be calling up begging you to take my money. People who did something else with the money are obviously dumb. But people who just didn't notice you hadn't taken it yet? I think that's not nearly as bad as the office not noticing they were missing INCOME for six months.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
A lot of the time that's the USPS's fuckup, though. I've definitely had them just keep delivering stuff to my old apartment even after I kept paying to change my address. And companies gently caress up plenty too; right now I'm getting tons and tons of a relative's mail -- we don't have the same name or live in the same state, but here it is! :iiam:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
When I've changed my address, the post office wouldn't let me do it in person. The only thing they had there was a card with their website to file and pay online.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Braces on the backs of your teeth are sometimes an option, or normal braces but clear. It wouldn't look totally bracesless but it's not that big a deal either.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
This is horrible/heartbreaking/amazing.

http://igotmyrefund.com

People are literally staying up all night refreshing their bank waiting for their tax refund to be deposited.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
City gyms are easily $76. I pay iirc $65 for mine and everyone's jealous. Even the Y or employer-assisted plans are pricier than my deal, and Power Fitness isn't really a thing here (New York). Maybe I'm being too generous but I assume he lives somewhere similar.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It works on the Kindle app for other devices.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Maxing out your Roth IRA (currently) is $458/month. Maxing it out 2008-2012 was $417/month. It's pretty doable especially because you only have to do it over the course of a year (you can pay less one month and make up for it the next).

Salaried people paid biweekly have a huge advantage over hourly wage workers -- those two unbudgeted paychecks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Six months is a long-rear end time to a kid. He probably figured one of you would forget, which is pretty fair.

e: also, how does it feel to be literally this guy?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 24, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I don't understand why people wouldn't trust a nonsensical, sounds-too-good-to-be-true offer from a financial institution.

Contribution: an acquaintance of mine told her boss she doesn't like the job, so she's leaving as soon as she finds anything better. Countdown until she shows up to find someone else at her desk?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have a couple friends who are music therapists, and they all have jobs and are making pretty good money. Mostly they work at nursing homes playing songs for ancient people with dementia, who still respond well to music from when they were young. And it's not like the senior population will be shrinking. There are more lucrative careers, but if you want to do something with music, it's not a bad call.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Total: 24.7k, doesn't include the rehearsal dinner, which my parents are going to cover, or the honeymoon which I will.

Really it's food that's the big one...so if you're not offering food and drink I can't see how you get to 30k without a complete bridezilla running the show.
You didn't include any clothes (especially the dress), any accessories, or hair/makeup for the bridal party. So that's it right there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think it's less "inability to manage his finances" and more "suddenly finding out that your partner has totally different goals and values, and is A-OK with lying to you for years while making you feel lovely for asking." No kidding that's relationship problems.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Missing out on interest from $180/year isn't a big deal. Sneaking around and physically hiding cash at your job rather than having a conversation with your wife? :can:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Tons of people just aren't planning to retire. Two of my grandparents didn't; my parents probably never will.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Or get a scratching post or softpaws, and clean the litter box regularly??

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Training your pet is a good option and it's not exactly expensive. My family has had five cats (only two at a time) and a German shepherd, and my parents' house has never been destroyed like you're talking about. It's doable in almost all situations if you just give a poo poo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Does this person live somewhere where tap water isn't potable or something?
In a lot of rural areas people are on well water, and that's not always potable for various reasons. Most of my neighborhood had those coolers when I was growing up.

e: quick google, but according to the EPA, 15% of Americans rely on their own wells for drinking. Not sure how many more use wells for house water, but don't drink from them, like above.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 29, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I eat lunch at work. I do cut back on quay I eat though to save bucks. I could stand to lose a few pounds though lol.

Jastiger posted:

I drink water and eat stale popcorn at work when they have it to save money
Hmm.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

nickutz posted:

Can we take the fight over to tumblr before derailing the thread for the thousandth time?

In bad with money stories, my perpetually broke friend is finally getting around to his 2012 taxes, and hopefully 2013 after that. He thinks he's getting a big refund (would there be anything left after penalties?), and his first planned purchase with that money will be a Playstation 4. As someone who's floated him gas money and picked up some bar tabs over time it's pretty frustrating. I didn't even expect to be paid back when I gave him money, but would love to see any extra cash like that end up in a savings account for those lean times he deals with so often.
If the IRS owes him money, he doesn't have to pay late penalties. They've just been hanging on to his money (and making interest) for a couple years, so no charge.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Need BFC assistance. I passed go and with a large bonus check my wife gave me $100 in allowance for food, entertainment, etc. that should last me the month.

Steam Summer Sale coming up.

WHAT DO I DO?

I am bad with money:(

Edit: It literally hurts as it burns a hole in my pocket.
Save some for next month so you don't go straight back to eating nothing or free stale popcorn or cheap lunches (whatever version you're going with)?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You're still blowing $80 for a few hours. That's still the hosed-up mindset.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Are we sending his hypothetical children to Australia for college and putting them up in 5-star hotels?
I don't know if you've noticed, but college costs have gone up a whole lot, and probably aren't gonna reverse that trend in the next 20 years.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It depends on how good you are. If you're a National Merit Semifinalist/Finalist/Scholar, then yes, tons of schools say "if you come straight here, please accept a bunch of money."

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There has got to be more going on. Like maybe he's a convicted felon and no legit company will hire him because he can't pass a background check.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You might want to read the article, which lays out exactly how it happened.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah that's only what every scrap of clothing is made of. No jobs there.

There are few completely dumb degrees, just a lot of dumbasses without plans.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Buy a man a bong and he smokes until he breaks it. Teach a man to make an apple bong and he smokes as long as he remembers to fill the fruit bowl.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Agarjogger's posts in the e/n dating thread aren't financial, but they sure are something too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
"These things" like condoms?

If you have insurance and you want to know how much a procedure costs in or out of network, you call your insurance company and ask. Magic. If you still don't have insurance or you have crappy insurance, you call Planned Parenthood and ask. (Starts at $350, but some have sliding scales.)

Freezing your sperm is hella expensive, though, I'm not defending that one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Unless ACA changed things, no you don't.
Huh? That's what I've always done and it's always right. They might be like "oh it's only the cost of your copay" or "this one's free, but we only pay for one per year," or they might be like "well we only cover 30% of that procedure" so you would have to call your doctor's office to find out what it's 30% of.

What happens when you call?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you know an IUD failed once and you got pregnant and had a super-high-risk scary pregnancy, then after that was over, why would you be like "hot drat, IUD again please"?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Running an antivirus (if that's all he did) is not the same as writing a long legal document that stands up in court. There's only one of those that we could all do by puberty.

$100 for the bulldozer is low enough that I would just eat this one and not be upset. Of course, if she now expects you to do it every month for free, that's a problem.

e: I'm a professional copyeditor and I do copyedit friends' short work-related things for free. If they're making money directly from it (like it's a self-published ebook) then I'm charging; if it's a resume or a cover letter or a report for the big boss or a grad school paper, and it's under ~25 pages, it's free if I have time. A lawyer friend has kindly done free stuff for me too. Life with friends is just a lot better if you're not going "well my time is worth $30/hr and your time is only worth $25/hr soooo"

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 14, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sounds like the USPS. Who doesn't admire their employees' happiness, efficiency, customer service, and willingness to go the extra mile?

My bad-with-money: I have a freelance side gig, and for some reason they aren't able to do direct deposit, they just send checks. I'm way too lazy about depositing them. For no reason! I can do it through my phone! But I'm looking at a few k in undeposited checks right now.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's p. bad for those folks when you finally do deposit them down the line and suddenly there's a withdrawal they weren't counting on for the month.

Works Cited:

"The Pledge." Seinfeld. NBC. WXIA, Atlanta. 6 Oct. 1994. Television.
It's all huge corporations, gotta give their finance departments something to do!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Even if you live in an American city without a car how do you travel? I've never been able to figure our how you make that work. I live in the suburbs/country so I need one anyway but how would I go visit family and friends who live elsewhere?
Public transit (or a cab) will take you to transportation like inter-city buses, trains, and planes. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't know about the implants, but skin removal can actually be really medically necessary.

That said, I'm pretty appalled that Australia is apparently like "go gently caress yourself, you're on your own" about it. I thought it was the land of magic free healthcare. In comparison, in the US, my insurance would cover it (except for a copay) if it were medically necessary.

• Locked thread