Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
For real lol if you can't run more than two blocks without getting winded what makes you think you have any chance of survival in this post apocalyptic wet dream scenario

99 percent of america can't run two blocks without getting winded

Bartering would be such a non issue and wholly irrelevant amidst the chaos that would ensue

Course, preppers are not known for their rationality but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

sad story about loser with LOL-obsessed wife

I think that the repeated takeaway that we continue to see over and over in these cases is a really simple one: if you don't want anyone to gently caress with your money, manage it yourself.

Yes I understand trusts and relationships blah blah blah but it's really just a matter of not allowing this variable into the equation in the first place. At the very least shared accounts should be monitored by both parties. Homie could have caught onto his wife's habits since like, day zero if he was also checking into their shared savings regularly.

Granted, their situation is still BWM lite, as the amount that the wife pissed away on other smelly nerds is a pretty trivial sum and I'd say this is a pretty minor form of "spousal deceit".

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
More rooms in my home dwelling = more loving surface area for me to keep clean, free of critters, keep presentable and decorated, etc. Extra storage space is stupidly overrated by we Americans to an insane degree (though I am not a fan of them microhomes either!)

Do note that I am childless so that is certainly a factor but still, people could toss out 80 percent of their possessions with zero detriment to their (still empty) lives, the last few years I've really enjoyed a less is more approach to my living arrangements (cept for my super gaming PC yo, 60 fps or bust)

There's also higher utility costs, etc but I think y'all already touched on that

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 24, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

therobit posted:

Maybe try not loving on every clear surface and it will be easier to keep clean.

You should really fully clean your living space at least once or twice a week (more frequenty if you have pets), regardless of how much loving there isn't or isn't going on

you gross goonie goonz

*retires back to designated loving surface area*

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 25, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
really though from my tiny anecdotal sample, all of my friends use their "extra space" to keep clutter they never ever touch, as a secondary closet for the girlfriend, or a room for the cats

literally no one I know that owns a decently-sized house is doing anything good or useful with their extra bedrooms

aside from additional loving scenarios and zones i guess

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hmm I guess the idea of a home office is appealing but my home office is literally any computer with internet access! So I couldn't justify bothering with all that since my PC is in my bedroom anyways, but also can't write off any portion of my apt for taxes so :shrug:

I just don't get why my childless friends insist on moving out far away (making their commute hell) into giant homes that are mostly empty (it's been a trend for my social group lately). It's like after a certain age a lot of people feel the need to transition into a house. Most of them are renting too, so it's not like they are getting *house equity* or whatever

The cat room was pretty chill I won't lie

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

double ohm seven posted:

Don't do this unless you're 14. Bedroom's for sleeping and loving only.

bedrooms are for whatever the gently caress i want them to be, I'm the one paying rent and paying extra rent for an "office" is a dumb, colossal waste of money to me (this is the BFC subforum, right?). I'd rather get a really nice tiny apt vs a larger space where the compromises are apparent (rent is not cheap in major metro areas).

In all seriousness, why though? I've heard a few "crunchy types" say this kind of stuff before without really having any logical arguments to back up this claim. Should I toss my guitars out the living room too because they don't fit under the rigid conditions sent forth by this mandate?

Most reasonable arguments tend to center around quality of sleep but thankfully my sleep is fine as I am a healthy adult. Sux to suck i guess?

E:

ate all the Oreos posted:

Anyway we use the second bedroom for computer and hobbies and it's nice but I definitely wouldn't do this if I needed to live any closer to the city since the cost would roughly triple i'm sure

Yep I love living in the heart of the city and also like being able to piss money around like a deluded working class chump who thinks he's "well off," so less is literally more in my case, a studio is too humble for me but a 1br is just right.

Like I said, extra space is massively overrated by most people, having less things (or constantly getting rid of stuff) is actually really great and chill

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 26, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah that's where I see the logic. But wouldn't most people ruin this by playing on their smartphones in bed?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
those of you bitching about no one cares should post some bwm stories instead of being whiny babies who don't do much aside from disrupt the sleep of adults everywhere

I didn't find anything tasty during my brief skim of r/personalfinance

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Still don't be a clown and regularly monitor the resources that you depend on for food, shelter, etc

Even if you super trust your one true love, multiple eyes on your bank account is never a bad thing. There's also fraud, unexpected charges, bank errors (never in your favor), and a myraid of other problems.

Also it takes 30 seconds to log in so yep

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Dude you can't call someone too poor to do something that's like a major crime here

What are you talking about, "don't spend above your means" is like the most tired mantra of the entire subforum (where else is the idea of 'Don't Buy A House You Cannot Afford, Jackass' so universally embraced?)

Sometimes I feel that you really don't know or get us at all, forums user Not a Children

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Being poor isn't a crime, but hoo boy implying someone shouldn't be splurging on something they want lost me a couple friends for really stupid reasons before I figured out it's better to just let them do whatever

ohh yeah well that's why life can often feel like easy mode for a lot of us

I still make dumb impulsive purchases but they are tiny blips in comparison to most Americans' spending habits

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I read through the article on the Fyre Festival and the entire time, one thought dominated my mind:

eat the rich

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
and a delicious, nutrient-packed side salad

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
meh I'm a musician myself but I outgrew the need to go to festivals when I was like 21. I prefer my live music in bars and my drug trips in cozier settings

Lots of my friends still enjoy them though, maybe I'm just a boring old man in the making

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
you know the thought crossed your mind too

after all, this is the sub forum dedicated to optimizing your expenses in the long run

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
what a terrible derail

I spent $400 on prescription glasses, having bad vision is supremely BWM. I might give goon-darling zenni optical a shot but I'm not sure how I feel about a mega discount online prescription glasses store...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh my loving god, guy. You have gotten nasty. You are nasty. Repulsive, even.

So unemployed people's time is completely worthless, then? Should we even suffer them to live?

:lol: this is what i meant by derail and you know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
or these two could take their conversation elsewhere

mind-bending suggestion I know

• Locked thread